What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: Rookie Management (1 Viewer)

Braktastic

Footballguy
With the Turk coming to NFL rosters, I thought this might be a useful discussion.  Obviously each league has different rules, and each team is in a different place (i.e. some are contenders and some are in rebuild), but, apart from that, I am wondering how do you decide it is time to move on from a rookie draft pick?

Sometimes it is obvious, like when the rookie is part of the cut down to 75 or 53 players and are not either picked up by another team or placed on a practice squad.  But what about the other times, particularly when the player winds up on a practice squad.  For your average 24 person dynasty roster, assuming you don't have a taxi squad spot, is it worth carry players that have only cracked the practice squad?

For a 24 player roster, I wouldn't use a roster spot on a practice squad player.  I use those last few roster spots on my lottery tickets with upside...the back up RB's who will produce RB2 numbers or better if the number one guy goes down.  Last year I used those spots on Matt Jones, Langford, and Ajayi.  They didn't really pan out last year, but I do have three intringing players for this year.  This year I'm using my last couple spots on Robert Kelley and Christine Michael.

With the Turk coming to NFL rosters, I thought this might be a useful discussion.  Obviously each league has different rules, and each team is in a different place (i.e. some are contenders and some are in rebuild), but, apart from that, I am wondering how do you decide it is time to move on from a rookie draft pick?

Sometimes it is obvious, like when the rookie is part of the cut down to 75 or 53 players and are not either picked up by another team or placed on a practice squad.  But what about the other times, particularly when the player winds up on a practice squad.  For your average 24 person dynasty roster, assuming you don't have a taxi squad spot, is it worth carry players that have only cracked the practice squad?
We've got full IDP with 45 actives (and 5 player PS) but yes I will do so, sometimes as many as 3 if I really believe. 

22 player roster.  It would have to be an incredible talent for me to keep a practice squad player rostered.  Maybe early/late season, but once bye weeks kick in, that roster depth is critical.

Users who are viewing this thread