What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: WR Paul Richardson (1 Viewer)

I don't think Lockette will lose very many O touches to Richardson, but if Paul takes some of the returns away as well, Lockette may not see any up swing over last year

He looked good out there, but it seems like this happens every year or so with someone overperforming in the playoffs, being drafted much higher the next year, and then reverting back to the same old same old afterwards.

Not sure how it would even be defined but do we have a list of guys who vastly overperformed in the NFL playoffs relative to their careers so far?  It would be interesting to see how they followed that up through the rest of their career.

He looked good out there, but it seems like this happens every year or so with someone overperforming in the playoffs, being drafted much higher the next year, and then reverting back to the same old same old afterwards.

Not sure how it would even be defined but do we have a list of guys who vastly overperformed in the NFL playoffs relative to their careers so far?  It would be interesting to see how they followed that up through the rest of their career.
He also had two solid games to finish off the year after Lockett went down. Richardson has always had talent but injuries have held him back. Whether or not he can stay healthy and whether or not Seattle's offense can adapt to support multiple WRs are probably the questions. He is taking advantage of this opportunity though which is encouraging.

I am rostering him this offseason as a flyer.

ESPN Seahawks reporter Sheil Kapadia believes there's "absolutely an opportunity" for WR Paul Richardson to earn more snaps this season.

After Tyler Lockett went down with a season-ending injury in Week 16, Richardson became the biggest beneficiary as the No. 3 receiver. He played 66.9 percent of the offensive snaps the final four games of the season, including the playoffs, and caught 15-of-19 targets for 213 yards and two touchdowns in that span. Richardson will push Jermaine Kearse for snaps in three-wide sets.

Source: ESPN.com 
Apr 17 - 11:03 AM

Do the Seahawks pass enough to make a player other than Baldwin and Graham reliably viable?  Richardson is unowned in my dynasty league because no one can picture him breaking into the starting lineup. 

Do the Seahawks pass enough to make a player other than Baldwin and Graham reliably viable?  Richardson is unowned in my dynasty league because no one can picture him breaking into the starting lineup. 
I've gone back and forth on Richardson. Stashed him in some of my leagues, then I'd drop him, then I'd repeat the process again. At this point he's owned in all of my leagues. I don't think it's inconceivable to think he carves out a bigger role in SEA, but I am skeptical of it being a fantasy relevant role. A healthy Lockett would only complicate matters more and lower the chances of it happening. It seems like a big long-shot right now. If a healthy Russell Wilson truly takes over this offense this year and progresses into a top tier PASSER like some have thought he eventually would, then I guess the whole situation would become a bit more appealing.

Paul Richardson has been running ahead of Jermaine Kearse in two-receiver sets at Seahawks camp.

Finally healthy, 2014 second-round pick Richardson flashed big-play ability over Seattle's final four games last season, including the playoffs. He made numerous contested catches, several with one hand. Kearse is a solid blocking receiver, but he brings no playmaking ability to the table. The Seattle Times does expect Tyler Lockett to eventually be the Seahawks' No. 2 receiver opposite Doug Baldwin. Lockett is coming off a broken leg.

Source: Seattle Times 

Aug 1 - 11:00 PM

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Sunday night Paul Richardson will be "out a bit" after suffering an AC joint sprain in his shoulder.

Richardson went down at the end of a diving, 25-yard catch. Initial fears were regarding his collarbone, so it's good news Richardson has a mere week-to-week injury. We wouldn't expect to see him again before Week 1, however.

Source: Curtis Crabtree on Twitter 

Aug 14 - 1:25 AM

Speaking Tuesday, Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said there was "no question" Paul Richardson (shoulder) will be ready for Week 1.

Richardson sprained his AC joint in Sunday's preseason opener, but has evidently received good news in the 48 hours since. It's possible Richardson is held out of the rest of the exhibition slate, but the Seahawks are confident he will be in good working order for the opener. Richardson has been spending time as the 'Hawks' No. 2 receiver in camp, but this puts that in jeopardy.

Source: Bob Condotta on Twitter 

Aug 15 - 5:00 PM

Regarding the topic title... what do you guys think the chances are that this boat finally leaves the dock? Everyone has had ample time to board, nobody has yet missed it in 3 years... but is now finally the time?

Dianna Russini‏Verified account @diannaESPN

Sources say Seattle is trying to trade wideout Jermaine Kearse #Seahawks

3:22 PM - 30 Aug 2017
Should we start thinking about Richardson more now? Went undrafted in my league - thinking it might not hurt to kick the tires here.

I think Richardson is the better WR if he can stay healthy.
I think health is the biggest issue with both of them. In Lockett's 3-game stretch before the broken fibula, he was 16-234-1, with a 75 yard TD run.  In game one last year, versus Miami,he had some drops and then got banged up and wasn't the same. But he had a terrific first year. Richardson has been a 3-year tease.

Still own him in many leagues and I think this is it, the make or literally break year for the guy. If, big IF, he can stay healthy he can be really be an elite wr in this league, the talent is there, no doubt abou that. He's playing with young QB who is still getting better, can do catches that makes your eyes drop and looks apart when on the field. All we need now is to hope that he can stay on the field. I'm taking him in red-draft leagues also and kind of think everyone should get him as he is easy to get in the later rounds. I'm not afraid of Lockett, I think Seattle will use him more on return game and Paul will keep his place as numbet 2 wr on Seahawks.

Seahawks WR Paul Richardson is listed as a starter on the team's Week 1 depth chart.

Tyler Lockett is listed with the second-team offense. It means Richardson will begin the year in two-receiver sets opposite Doug Baldwin. Richardson was a fixture in offseason puff pieces, though he was limited in the preseason by a shoulder issue. The 2014 second-rounder's career has been derailed by injury, but he's justifiable as an end-of-roster flier in 12-14 team leagues.

Source: Bob Condotta on Twitter 

Sep 5 - 5:30 PM

Its all about inj concerns, but I think he is one of the most underdrafted players this year no doubt. Watching Tyler Locket still going rounds earlier than him is baffling and ive been grabbing him everywhere I can.

Can pick up Richardson or Wright off waivers in a 14 team non-ppr dynasty league. After reading Waldman's column, I'm leaning Richardson. Anyone in a similar boat 

Cross posting from the lockett thread

Richardson was drafted 3 years ago in the second round. He had a mediocre rookie year (29/271/1) and went to the playoffs, but tore his acl in the first round of the playoffs.   He came back in 2015, caught one pass for 40 yards in week 15, hurt his hamstring, and back on it. 

He played sparingly in 2016 behind lockett, and had 13 catches for 206 yards with no touchdowns when lockett got hurt week 16. He finished with stat lines of 4/42/1 and 4/40 in weeks 16 and 17, and in the playoffs he had games of 3/48/1 (with a one handed touchdown catch on 4th down from the 5) and 4/83. Those were the two most productive games of his 3 year career.

Two years ago, lockett emerged as a third round rookie,  with 32/420/5 in the 8 games after the bye with games of 4/48/2, 7/90, 6/104/2, and 5/55/1. 

He started 2016 with games of 3/17 and 4/99, then got hurt week 3. He continued to play through what turned out to be a misdiagnosed pcl tear. When he finally got better, he had a game with no catches on 6 targets with a 9 yard run, but followed it with games of 138, 56, as 130 total yards with a pair of touchdowns. He then broke his leg week 16.

While lockett was recovering, Richardson moved ahead of kearse, and there was speculation that Richardson could push for a starting spot.  In the first preseason game he made an awesome layout catch for 25 yards but hurt his ac joint doing it and missed week 2. In week 3 of the preseason he had one catch for 5 yards on 3 targets. 

The Seahawks then moved kearse, have said that lockett is going to be ready to resume his starting job in week 1, and Richardson appears to have ascended to the other outside spot.

But while Richardson has a handful of sexy plays - a 40 yard run where he got hurt and went on ir, the one handed touchdown in the playoffs, a couple longer catches in the following playoff git, before he got hurt, and the 25 yard layout catch in preseason where he got hurt, you can see the trend.  He's a guy you like you have on the field but not a guy I'd invest much in in fantasy.  

If you look at lockett's last 13 games - not counting the pcl recovery - he has 891 total yards and 7 touchdowns.  Those are fantasy starter numbers.  

In my ideal world I'd take both late in a league with deep rosters. But if I can only have one it's lockett by a mile.

Lockett was gone in our league before Richardson. I think the above posting is correct, it's just that instead of a serviceable guy or a WR5, people are hoping for a lottery ticket with Richardson. Lockett hasn't exactly proven he can stay healthy, either.      

The Seahawks offense could be a goldmine of value this year.  I'm all in on Richardson, since he's free, plays with a good QB, and is a starter.  He's probably vying with Lockett for the 3rd receiving option. 

Paul Richardson played 41-of-49 snaps in the Seahawks' Week 1 loss to the Packers.

Richardson finished behind just Doug Baldwin in the receiver snap totals and saw 15 more plays than Tyler Lockett. Richardson also tied with Jimmy Graham for the team lead in targets with seven. Perhaps Lockett's role expands as he gets back into game shape, but as of now, Richardson is Seattle's No. 2 receiver.

Sep 11 - 10:04 AM

:thumbup:

And 7 targets!

Paul Richardson = 7 Targets

Jimmy Graham = 7 Targets

Doug Baldwin = 4 Targets

Tyler Lockett = 3 Targets

Not bad for a 15th round draft pick. Seattle had a rough day in GB, but I expect them to get better on offense.

i'm going to bump this thread.  considering playing richardson in PPR and sitting kelvin benjamin.  baldwin hasn't practiced all week.

Got dropped due to the bye week. Has he lived up to expectations?
He's had 8 targets total in the past two weeks.  In redraft you can probably look somewhere else and if you have deep bench in dynasty you probably can still hold on to him and hope.

I think he's a hold in dynasty. Everyone was saying that Lockett was so much better then him but he still hasn't over taken Richardson. In the league I own him we start 3 WRs and 2 flex so I actually can see myself starting him as a bye week guy (especially with Odell being out now). Before last week i believe he had a stat of having at least a TD or 59 yards in every game this year and believe he's right around averaging double digit points a week. Doesn't have much of a ceiling (maybe if Lockett or graham get hurt) but as long as he stays healthy I think he has a decent year and can be a decent flex/bye week fill-in

Great week for Richardson: 6-105-2

Lockett put up very good numbers too: 6-121-0.

If Richardson and Lockett continue to play well, does Seattle let Richardson walk? They would still have one more season of Lockett on a rookie contract, and with so many mouths to feed in Seattle, it's not a stretch to think Richardson moves on to greener pastures. Off the top of my head, I think Dallas would be an ideal fit for both parties,

I think he's a hold in dynasty. Everyone was saying that Lockett was so much better then him but he still hasn't over taken Richardson. In the league I own him we start 3 WRs and 2 flex so I actually can see myself starting him as a bye week guy (especially with Odell being out now). Before last week i believe he had a stat of having at least a TD or 59 yards in every game this year and believe he's right around averaging double digit points a week. Doesn't have much of a ceiling (maybe if Lockett or graham get hurt) but as long as he stays healthy I think he has a decent year and can be a decent flex/bye week fill-in
Sell high IMO. I tried to sell him all year & no takers. Maybe I can sell him now.

when a plat seems to go bust - which is pretty often with that offensive line - then Wilson seems to find Richardson regularly. they seem to have a good sense of where the other is on the field and where to be. i like Richardson's ability but he needs to see more targets to be anything other than a bye week starter.

Sell high IMO. I tried to sell him all year & no takers. Maybe I can sell him now.
What are you thinking you can get for him. I don't see anyone offering me anything of better value for him in the league I own him so I'll hold, take his decent floor for weeks where I need to fill in that 2nd flex spot. Yeah if someone offers me a better player for him I'll trade him but if all I'm getting is a different bench player I'll hold all day. 

What are you thinking you can get for him. I don't see anyone offering me anything of better value for him in the league I own him so I'll hold, take his decent floor for weeks where I need to fill in that 2nd flex spot. Yeah if someone offers me a better player for him I'll trade him but if all I'm getting is a different bench player I'll hold all day. 
I've never once started him so I'd like to pair him with D. Murray or Ajayi for a RB upgrade. Or pair him with Rodgers for another QB

Last edited by a moderator:
Redskins agreed to terms with WR Paul Richardson on a five-year, $40 million contract.

Per NFL.com's Mike Garofolo, the deal includes $20 million guaranteed. With Allen Robinson and Sammy Watkins already spoken for, Richardson had a claim to being the market's top remaining wideout. A true burner, injuries repeatedly slowed Richardson's progress in Seattle, but he finally put it all together and broke out last season. He will command attention down the field in Washington, helping Jordan Reed, Jamison Crowder and Chris Thompson over the middle, as well as Josh Doctson on the outside. With Alex Smith at quarterback and so many mouths to feed on offense, Richardson could have a hard time equalling his 2017 slash of 44/703/6.

Related: Seahawks

Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter 

Mar 13 - 1:12 PM

Redskins agreed to terms with WR Paul Richardson on a five-year, $40 million contract.

Per NFL.com's Mike Garofolo, the deal includes $20 million guaranteed. With Allen Robinson and Sammy Watkins already spoken for, Richardson had a claim to being the market's top remaining wideout. A true burner, injuries repeatedly slowed Richardson's progress in Seattle, but he finally put it all together and broke out last season. He will command attention down the field in Washington, helping Jordan Reed, Jamison Crowder and Chris Thompson over the middle, as well as Josh Doctson on the outside. With Alex Smith at quarterback and so many mouths to feed on offense, Richardson could have a hard time equalling his 2017 slash of 44/703/6.

Related: Seahawks

Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter 

Mar 13 - 1:12 PM
I think the hype boat just sprung a leak...as a Richardson owner, not crazy about this signing. Will try to hold him until a few weeks into the season to see how this pans out.

Damn, he got paid more than I expected. Although, with the cap increase I guess relatively speaking it is less than Kenny Stills.

Lukewarm landing spot, though. A year ago getting paid with Alex Smith would be a deal breaker, but after that career year in 2017, there's hope that the Smith-Richardson connection could yield fantasy points. 

Damn, he got paid more than I expected. Although, with the cap increase I guess relatively speaking it is less than Kenny Stills.

Lukewarm landing spot, though. A year ago getting paid with Alex Smith would be a deal breaker, but after that career year in 2017, there's hope that the Smith-Richardson connection could yield fantasy points. 
There's some hope, yes, but it's likely that it won't amount to a whole lot. PRich is a bye week WR the way I'm looking at it.

Practice Notes: 2018 Minicamp, Day 1

Excerpt:

After DeSean Jackson departed in free agency last year, the Washington Redskins didn’t quite have the same speed presence in 2017. Washington, however, hopes that they’ll once again have that deep threat this year in Paul Richardson Jr., who was signed in free agency on the heels of his best statistical season to date. Twice during Tuesday’s open media practice session quarterback Alex Smith hit Richardson on two deep bomb that would have likely been 50-yard touchdowns. First during 7-on-7 drills, Smith found Richardson in the middle of the end zone for a score. Then later during 11-on-11 work, the three-time Pro Bowl quarterback connected with Richardson on the right side of the field as he disconnected from cornerback Josh Norman before the wide receiver streaked down the field for a would-be touchdown. Last year, Richardson averaged 16 yards per reception.

Last edited by a moderator:
So not a lot of buzz coming out of DC for any of these receiving options. Could be be Smith's deep Tyreek? Ended up getting him really cheap in dynasty auction just on value principle so am now taking an interest. 

Crowder should remain the slot guy. Doctson is still kind of a question mark. Showed signs last year of maybe taking the next step. So where does Richardson fit in? Is he no more than a deep threat in the Kenny Stills mold? 

Users who are viewing this thread