What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: WR Paul Richardson (1 Viewer)

Slapdash said:
More involved the last two weeks against some good defenses.
And even more involved today against the Rams including a beautiful deep ball that he had to high point over the DB down the left sideline. That said, I stand by my assessment of the Seattle WRs as fantasy options. Not so much because of the talent, but the overall team philosophy.

@RapSheet: #Seahawks WR Paul Richardson, who they wanted to help full the Percy Harvin void, tore his ACL, source confirms @MikeGarafolo report. Brutal

Rotoworld:

Seahawks WR Paul Richardson is out for the playoffs with a torn ACL.

He'll be questionable for the start of next season, as well, because of the timing of the injury. It's possible Richardson opens 2015 on the reserve/PUP list. The 45th overall pick in last May's draft, Richardson was a disappointment as a rookie, contributing very little as a receiver and also underwhelming on kickoff returns. Long term, he doesn't project as a fantasy asset.

Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter
Jan 11 - 6:21 PM

Rotoworld:

Seahawks WR Paul Richardson will undergo surgery on his torn left ACL on January 27.

It's the same knee that Richardson tore up in college, leaving his status in a bit of doubt. It's quite possible he won't be ready for Week 1. He'll be a candidate to begin the year on reserve/PUP, and perhaps stay there for all 16 games in an effort to get back to truly 100 percent health.

Source: Paul Richardson on Twitter
Jan 16 - 1:40 PM

He may come back but I doubt that he will show much in 2015 so I will probably drop him to clear space for rookie draft in dynasty.

I dropped him.

From a fantasy perspective, he was in a situation that was good due to Wilson and the likelihood that he would start next season... but bad due to the offensive philosophy limiting his opportunity... Now he probably won't be fully healthy until the 2016 season, and I expect the Seahawks will have to do something to address the position while he is recovering.

Richardson will probably start the season on the PUP list. It's hard for me to see them going into next season with only Baldwin, Kearse, Lockette, and Norwood. It seems likely that they will sign or draft someone capable of starting across from Baldwin. If that happens, it will bump Richardson down the depth chart and will be that much harder for him to ever achieve fantasy relevance for the Seahawks.

People better than Richardson don't just grow on trees (unless you are talking about Trent). They are much more likely to sign a fill in for next year until PR is back than spend another high draft pick on a receiver. Then Richardson will take over a starting role and be as productive as the SEA offense allows once healthy (assuming fill health). I do agree he isn't likely to do much next year. I think Wilson is moving toward a bigger passing role which will likely coincide with Lynch leaving or winding down. I have a IR spot on the roster where I have Richardson, and will be convalescing him there.

I had real high hopes for this kid coming out of Colorado State. He was an amazing player there and was starting to look good in Seattle... but...

This is the second time he has torn his left ACL. I'm sure there is a list of players who have come back from two injuries to the same ACL, but it's a short list. Nothing personal, but if you're holding him in a dynasty I pity you. For me, it cost an early-mid third rounder in the rookie drafts of a couple of leagues.

edit: I see some people talking about the Seattle system... don't think for a heartbeat that they won't go to a balanced/passing attack in Seattle at some point in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had real high hopes for this kid coming out of Colorado State. He was an amazing player there and was starting to look good in Seattle... but...

This is the second time he has torn his left ACL. I'm sure there is a list of players who have come back from two injuries to the same ACL, but it's a short list. Nothing personal, but if you're holding him in a dynasty I pity you. For me, it cost an early-mid third rounder in the rookie drafts of a couple of leagues.

edit: I see some people talking about the Seattle system... don't think for a heartbeat that they won't go to a balanced/passing attack in Seattle at some point in the future.
They have a balanced attack now.

They have a balanced attack now.
Ranking 1st in rushing yards and 27th is passing is pretty damn balanced.

I drank the Kool Aid on this kid and drafted him ahead of Bryant in the 2nd round of a rookie draft last year. If this is the 2nd time he's torn the same ACL I'll probably dump him. He did not have the impact of the other WRs in this draft. He was hyped up by some around here and I bought in. I regret it big time as I passed on a few decent rookies. This just sets my team back further. I would say he's very droppable in dynasty leagues. Thoughts on 2016 and post Lynch?

Rotoworld:

Paul Richardson - WR - Seahawks

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll acknowledged at the NFL owners' meetings that second-year WR Paul Richardson (ACL surgery) may not be ready for Week 1.

Richardson's injury is believed to have been more extensive than a clean ACL tear, though the Seahawks haven't released details. Either way, Seattle should consider anything it gets from Richardson in 2015 a bonus. He suffered the knee injury on January 10 and may open this season on the reserve/PUP list.

Source: Bob Condotta on Twitter

Mar 25 - 8:04 PM

With the drafting of Lockett, Richardson is officially the Titanic.
Tyler Lockett - WR - Seahawks
Seahawks GM John Schneider said the team's primary interest in WR Tyler Lockett was for his return ability.
The Seahawks gave up four picks to acquire Lockett, so it is safe to assume they see him as more than just a return man. It is a reminder Lockett's path to targets is treacherous year one. After acquiring Jimmy Graham this offseason, Seattle already did not have many targets to go around. At 5-10,182, Lockett likely will not challenge Jermaine Kearse's role in the offense, and Doug Baldwin has proven effective if not spectacular as a slot-type receiver. Lockett could be a much better real-life player than fantasy player early in his career.

Source: Curtis Crabtree on Twitter
May 2 - 7:58 AM

I think people are selling this kid too fast. Even if Lockett is good they will give Richardson a chance to succeed.

The other three receivers are Baldwin, Kearse and Lockette so it's not like you can't outperform those if you have talent.

Question is, will Richardson knee heal this year or the next? Will it heal at all?

I think people are selling this kid too fast. Even if Lockett is good they will give Richardson a chance to succeed.

The other three receivers are Baldwin, Kearse and Lockette so it's not like you can't outperform those if you have talent.

Question is, will Richardson knee heal this year or the next? Will it heal at all?
Have to be a super deep league to keep this guy. He's hurt and buried on the depth chart.

Have to be a super deep league to keep this guy. He's hurt and buried on the depth chart.
53 guys in our rosters, 65 at the moment and he's in my taxi squad waiting, so he's not taking roster space :)

Still, I'm just saying it's too early to say anything. Read somewhere that compared to all the other receivers in the NFL

he was third most effective? Anyway, I think this guy can play, we just have to wait.

53 guys in our rosters, 65 at the moment and he's in my taxi squad waiting, so he's not taking roster space :)

Still, I'm just saying it's too early to say anything. Read somewhere that compared to all the other receivers in the NFL

he was third most effective? Anyway, I think this guy can play, we just have to wait.
He can certainly play...but can he stay healthy? He is a small guy. He had injury issues in college. He now has some in the pros. Tough to see, but good luck holding.

It was bad enough that he was drafted by a team that doesn't throw the ball much.

It got worse when he tore his ACL for the second time.

Now they drafted a very similar WR.

I was a big fan, but I'm not holding out any hope of fantasy relevance.

It was bad enough that he was drafted by a team that doesn't throw the ball much.

can't argue too much against that. I don't have him in any league but just offered a 2016 4th round pick in a 16 team league. Don't think his value is much higher than that.

cstu said:

I'm not entirely following. Are Lockett and Richardson similar receivers? I thought Lockett was a slot guy. Richardson seems like more of an outside receiver and burner, for screens, slants, and 9-routes. What am I missing here?

cstu said:

I'm not entirely following. Are Lockett and Richardson similar receivers? I thought Lockett was a slot guy. Richardson seems like more of an outside receiver and burner, for screens, slants, and 9-routes. What am I missing here?
Richardson is two inches taller but otherwise they're similar and Lockett played every position in college. If Lockett gained 10 lbs. he'd be nearly identical to Golden Tate.

Richardson's value has obviously dropped with his lousy rookie year and his ACL injury, but I'd still take him ahead of Conley, Montgomery, and any WR who was drafted in round 4 or later this year. (In other words: significantly sooner than where he's going in the DLF mocks.) He's only worth stashing if you have the room to wait-and-see until late in the season (or ideally until early next season), because of the injury. But looking at his long-term prospects, the main change from a year ago is that he didn't do much with the 500ish snaps that he got as a rookie. The injury, and the fact that Seattle drafted another WR in the 3rd round this year, are pretty minor issues.

Richardson's value has obviously dropped with his lousy rookie year and his ACL injury, but I'd still take him ahead of Conley, Montgomery, and any WR who was drafted in round 4 or later this year. (In other words: significantly sooner than where he's going in the DLF mocks.) He's only worth stashing if you have the room to wait-and-see until late in the season (or ideally until early next season), because of the injury. But looking at his long-term prospects, the main change from a year ago is that he didn't do much with the 500ish snaps that he got as a rookie. The injury, and the fact that Seattle drafted another WR in the 3rd round this year, are pretty minor issues.
Love your optimism. I'm trying to convince myself to keep holding him through this injury, but I'm not there yet. He has a long road ahead of him to fantasy relevance.

If you're looking to churn a roster spot, then Richardson is not your guy. If you're looking for a prospect to hold onto for the next year or so while you wait to see what he can do, then the details of his ACL recovery aren't that important. His road to fantasy relevance is basically:

Step 1: recover from ACL injury

Step 2: become good WR

Step 3: beat out Doug Baldwin, Jermaine Kearse, Tyler Lockett, Chris Matthews, and whoever else to become Seattle's top WR

Step 2 is the hard part.

Rotoworld:

Seahawks WR Paul Richardson (ACL) has a "chance" at being ready for training camp.

However, coach Pete Carroll admitted the team would be "cautious" with the 2014 second-rounder. Richardson is just four months removed from going under the knife. We'd be shocked if he were ready for camp, and it's a strong possibility he'll begin the regular season on the reserve/PUP list. Carroll is always wildly optimistic with his injury predictions, almost to the point where he can't be taken in the least bit seriously.

Source: John Boyle on Twitter

May 26 - 5:23 PM

Rotoworld:

Coach Pete Carroll said WR Paul Richardson (knee) could return early in training camp.

There isn't a coach in the NFL with more rose-colored glasses than Pete Carroll when it comes to injury timetables. Richardson is recovering from January ACL surgery. He remains unlikely to be ready for the start of camp. Richardson is a candidate to open the season on the reserve/PUP list.

Source: Tacoma News Tribune
Jul 15 - 7:11 PM

How's the kid looking? I recently decided to keep him over Chris Mathews. I just didn't want that much stock in the Seattle passing game. I broke my roster down and found that I had 4 Seahawks in my bottom 10 spots (Turbin, Michael, Richardson, Matthews).

I know he's on the pup but to be honest he looked like the only receiver Seattle had last season with any kind of upside. Matthews had a great game but I think he might be fools gold. I have Richardson over him comfortably.

Such a bleak outlook for the recievers there. But maybe that turns around towards the end of the season when they are bumping around the 5-5 mark. I don't really want any part of this offense right now.

You can't count on him for anything.  He wasn't an established WR.  Baldwin and Lockett both look good in front of him.  He is a longshot that you could take a stab at but I wouldn't be worried about him hurting the value of Lockett if I owned him.

Richardson is still only 24 years old, so there is undoubtedly time to turn things around, if Richardson can stay on the field. Richardson made a good showing at OTAs, and gave a glimpse of what he can do for the Seattle offense - he has elite straight-line speed, soft hands and runs excellent routes.  Durability is a concern, even going back to college, and given his slight frame, he may be best suited as WR3 (or WR4), but a healthy Richardson could cut into Lockett's targets. I would not be too quick to dismiss a player of Richardson's talent.

Anything is possible.  I'm just saying at this point I would put him closer to long shot than a threat for Lockett touches which is what Chasers Dawg asked.  

I'm still holding out hope.

Lockett had 1 more target last year than Kearse (69 and 68 respectively) and his yards per reception (13.02) was nothing special.  Both he and Kearse were a distant 3rd and 4th to Baldwin and both were behind Graham, who had by all accounts a wasted season.  So in 2016, do I expect Baldwin or Graham to give way to either Lockett or Kearse?  I think Wilson will pass more, but I don't see Lockett as the sole or even primary recipient of that increase.

As between Kearse and Lockett I probably like Lockett more because I think Lockett is more talented and Graham can fill that size/jump ball role rather than forcing Kearse into it. But I still think Richardson is more talented than any other WR on the roster.  I think he needs to stay healthy so he can show on the field what he has flashed and he needs to see the field some to get some real experience.  For their costs of acquisition, I'm fine sitting back and taking a flier on Richardson.  With Baldwin and Graham in place, I don't expect Lockett to rearrange that pecking order, so I see a ceiling there for him.  But I think Richardson might be able to rearrange things if he's healthy.

If I sit back and ask myself if I am more likely to be glad I stashed Richardson or more likely to regret that I passed on Lockett, I think I am more likely to be glad I stashed Richardson given the cost of acquisition and the ceiling I see for Lockett.

There was this RB by the name of Robert Smith. Tantalizing talent but he never got his due because he was always injured. Until the season he didn't get injured. Then everyone clamored about what a talent he was and what a shame it was that he had been injured so much throughout his career.  When there is a significant injury history that keeps a guy off the field, it can tend to also suppress the perception of the player's talent and ability.  I fault no one for passing on a player due to injury risk.  But it seems a bit short-sighted to go further and start to discount the player's talent when healthy.

Users who are viewing this thread