What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Jonathan Williams, Lions (1 Viewer)

Now Boston Scott cut. What's going on, they elevating Williams? Maybe someone tried to claim him? 

Edit: scratch that, forgot all about Gillislee

Last edited by a moderator:
Jonathan Williams rushed 13 times for 116 yard and caught one pass for 31 yards in Week 11 against the Jaguars.

Williams was only active with Jordan Wilkins sidelined. He ended up taking over as the Colts' early down back after Marlon Mack left with a hand injury, but he made some splash plays even when Mack was still in. There's a lot of moving parts, but with the Colts on a short turnaround on Thursday night, Williams looks in line to lead Indy's backfield in carries. He's should be one of the top waiver adds this week.

It's been a long trail but it looks like Williams might finally get a start in the NFL this Thursday?
On film, he always looked talented to me. In NO, it was partly a numbers thing, but there must be some other reason he never got a chance with 3 teams. Behind a very good Oline in IND,  I expect big things. 

SoBeDad said:
On film, he always looked talented to me. In NO, it was partly a numbers thing, but there must be some other reason he never got a chance with 3 teams. Behind a very good Oline in IND,  I expect big things. 
Yeah, I’m not totally sure why he hasn’t been given more opportunity. I feel like he’s produced whenever he has been given a shot.

The big question is whats up with Jordan Wilkins? How long is he out? Will he cut into J Williams opportunity? 

I haven’t been following this team at all but just picked him up. What are the chances he is a long-term starter beyond this year?

SoBeDad said:
In NO, the Saints had Trey Edmunds (now with Pit), Boston Scott (now with Phi), Williams (Indy), and Mike Gillislee (now with nobody). Supposedly iirc the problem with Williams was pass protection. And on the 1st game Gillislee has a fumble that may have likely cost the opener vs TB. Most people would have much rather seen Willians and like Buffalo folks were mystified why he wasn’t kept on the roster. Indy has lots of RB talent though but he’s stuck around.

Supposedly iirc the problem with Williams was pass protection.
Brees said Williams was good at pass protection.  Granted, it is playerspeak which is often less reliable than even coachspeak.  But Brees is a pretty serious guy and I don't think he'd give this strong of a compliment if there wasn't some truth to it.  Here is Brees' quote:

https://www.si.com/nfl/saints/news/saints-quotebook-qb-drew-brees-august-12-2018-1u6i060orkiDDkzBaEyBzg/

“I think once the pads come on, he is an impressive guy. He has run the ball extremely well, but I think more so than that he has stuck his nose in there in pass protection better than anybody I have seen in a while. He really takes pride in that and obviously that is a role amongst our running backs that they take really great pride in. Alvin (Kamara) and Mark (Ingram) both (do that) and typically that takes some evolution. A lot of guys come in and they're good runners, but once you kind of get them into the system and they realize ‘okay I have got to be able to pass protect to because if I can do that that means I am going to be on the field more which means I'm going to get other opportunities to both run and catch balls out of the backfield. It just makes me a more versatile player. a more productive player.’ I think that's something that Jonathan Williams has done very well thus for.”

The big question is whats up with Jordan Wilkins? How long is he out? Will he cut into J Williams opportunity? 
Jordan Wilkins is someone I've been dying to add all year since Long Ball Larry pointed him out and I started paying attention to his runs, and now that he'll get run, he's hurt.  

They only had a walk-thru today without pads and Wilkins was listed as a limited participant.  Without practicing for two weeks and a game on Thursday, I don't see him getting much work, even if he is active. 

I'm having a hard time trying to decide between him, Wilkens or Bo Scarborough. 

Is there a consensus anywhere on the board for Williams vs Wilkens or Scarborough over both to not have to deal with the anticipated split (although who knows what will transpire out of the DET backfield?)

Is there a consensus anywhere on the board for Williams vs Wilkens or Scarborough over both to not have to deal with the anticipated split (although who knows what will transpire out of the DET backfield?)
Good question. I'm wondering the same thing.

I favor Scarborough ROS since K Johnson will be out much longer than Mack. And seems like Indy will use more of a RBBC with both guys, whereas McKissic doesn't seem like much of a threat for carries. Plus Hines gets the receptions for Colts which really makes Wilkins/Williams touchdown dependent.

Well, for what it's worth... the following FA BB bids were processed today on J.W.   (4 team are playoffs)

$41 (winner), $26, $19, $13, $7, $5 

Williams expected to start. FWIW he was always a decent draft prospect. For his size he has excellent speed, hips, and loose feet. Runs with good power. Pass-catching & vision is adequate. Obviously, him behind that line is enticing.

I got Williams in a few FFPC leagues and I have him in my important home league. It seems like a good matchup and I’m actually considering him over Fournette. That’s probably nuts but I have to think Wilkins clouds the picture no?

I got Williams in a few FFPC leagues and I have him in my important home league. It seems like a good matchup and I’m actually considering him over Fournette. That’s probably nuts but I have to think Wilkins clouds the picture no?
Marrone said he plans to use Fournette heavily.  Coaches usually follow through with those kinds of statements.

Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Jonathan Williams will serve as the Colts' starter Thursday against the Texans.

The former practice-squadder broke out for 116 yards on just 13 carries in last week's win over Jacksonville and will carry the mail again in Week 12, even with Jordan Wilkins due back from an ankle injury. Williams may lose passing-down opportunities to Nyheim Hines, but he's still the back to own in Indy, at least until Marlon Mack returns from his broken hand.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Nov 21, 2019, 4:43 PM ET

Not turning this into a WDIS, but I have to decide between Williams and Allen Robinson in a non-ppr.  Any thoughts?

Seems there are a lot of people hemming and hawing about whether to start this guy tonight vs options this weekend. I'm thinking about it, too. 

I don't like Singletary's matchup and Gore is only like 46 yards from moving past Barry Sanders for 2nd on the alltime rushing list. I just have a feeling they feed Gore more than they should. I can't really start Monty and feel good about it. Those guys are part of the passing game, though. 

Houston's defense is very thin and the Colts seem to be at full strength on offense.

The next guy on my list I'm debating right now is Cobb at flex. He has been tearing it up but the Pats defense scares me a bit. 

Right now I'm leaning towards starting Williams.

ETA It's 41 yards to move past Barry into 3rd, not 2nd. I knew that.

Fearful of an all-hands-on-deck approach from Indy with their RBs tonight. Browsing around and seeing a lot of pro-Wilkins stuff... well... maybe not a LOT, but enough to shake me out of the Jonathan Williams tree. Swapping him back out for Dev Singletary (and not feeling good about him either).

Good luck to those rolling w/ Williams tonight.

Jonathan Williams rushed 26 times for 104 yards and a touchdown in the Colts' Week 12 loss to the Texans.

Williams added three receptions for 17 additional yards. Pre-game reports suggested Williams would be the starter. He not only started, he mothballed Jordan Wilkins, handling the ball 29 times to Wilkins' zero. Williams' score was a rugged 13-yarder in the third quarter where he was bouncing off defenders. 25-year-old Williams hardly looked like a game breaker, though we would say he checked in above "plodder." His Week 13 RB2 viability will depend on Marlon Mack's (broken hand) health, though reports have mad Mack missing more than one game.

Nov 21, 2019, 11:44 PM ET

The issues this guy had staying in the league weren't because of talent. 

This should be interesting.  Another late season hero like Damien last year? 

Anyone can run behind that line. 

Williams looked good past two games. Maybe he gets a chance to be a starter somewhere next season? He’s not old and showing well. Seems like he could turn into a dynasty asset with something

Users who are viewing this thread