What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty question (1 Viewer)

MASSHOLE

Footballguy
I was wondering how leagues adjust rules to deal with trading of next years picks for current year players. I don't want an owner to trade away next years picks, trying to win this year, then quit leaving that team with less than optimal early round picks. We considered having owners pay next years fee upfront to complete those trades but that essentially eliminated all trading of draft picks. No one wanted to cough up $500 in advance. Is the only way to know the league and the other owners and to trust them? We have pretty much 10/12 guys that have been in the league for 15 years and I don't believe anyone would screw the league over like that but you never know. The league has evolved from redraft, to keepers, to dynasty over time. I'm just looking for friendly advice that could help with some of those rules based on your own experiences. Thanks in advance

15 years and you don't know if you can trust your owners? Maybe your league wasn't ready to transition into a $500 dynasty league, then. Trading future picks is an integral part of the dynasty experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
15 years and you don't know if you can trust your owners? Maybe your league wasn't ready to transition into a $500 dynasty league, then. Trading future picks is an integral part of the dynasty experience.
thanks chief.

I'm just looking for friendly advice that could help with some of those rules based on your own experiences.

We have pretty much 10/12 guys that have been in the league for 15 years and I don't believe anyone would screw the league over like that but you never know.
I understand its an integral part of dynasty. Trying to eliminate any unforeseen problems with rules in advance. But thanks for your helpful post!

One of my dynasty leagues is working on a points system whereby picks - based on the round - are assigned a value. We'll set a threshold, and if you perform a trade that puts you under that number, you have to pay half of the next season's entry fees. Drop below a second, lower threshold and you have to pay the rest. Seems to be a good system.

I've been in a few leagues where everybody paid a deposit (usually 50%, but I think 20-25% might work in a higher dollar league). If an owner leaves, the commisioner has the flexibility to sell that team at a discount for the coming year. If it can be filled at full price, the previous owner would get his refund (the new owner would of course be paying a deposit). IN some leagues, a small amount of all fees (5% or so of the total) is kept in a league account for the purposes of discounting for new owners if need be.

Might be tough to implement in a standing league unless you can get everyone to agree to reduced payouts for this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get why they have a problem paying. Sounds like they know they are going to be back, why not just pay up? If the owner leaves in good faith and doesn't trash the roster, give him his money back. The pre-pay is all about making it easier to find an owner to take it over - the commish can offer any new guys the first year free - so if the roster doesn't make it impossible to find a replacement, the guy can get refunded.

If you want to guard against dump and run, the only real answer is to take cash. The big concern is first rounders and to a smaller extent 2nd rounders, so you could weight it something like:

1st - 60%

2nd - 20%

3rd - 15%

4th - 5%

So if a guy trades his 1st for another guy's 3rd, he would have to pony up (60-15) = 45% of the fees since he got a decent pick back.

Users who are viewing this thread