What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drop Shipping / Affiliate Marketing / Amazon / Etc. (1 Viewer)

houston

Footballguy
Is anyone here currently doing any drop shipping or affiliate marketing or similar work? Or know someone who is?

I’m intrigued to give it a try but not sure where to start. Most sites and trainings I’ve looked at so far seem overwhelming, so would much prefer to get tips from someone who has had some success.

Please reply here or send a private message if you can be of assistance, thanks!

No drop shipping, but I've done a little bit of affiliate marketing. Are you looking to start from scratch (i.e. build a website, social media, etc. then promote) or do you have something already in progress that you are looking to build on?

PM if you want.

Is anyone here currently doing any drop shipping or affiliate marketing or similar work? Or know someone who is?

I’m intrigued to give it a try but not sure where to start. Most sites and trainings I’ve looked at so far seem overwhelming, so would much prefer to get tips from someone who has had some success.

Please reply here or send a private message if you can be of assistance, thanks!

I do not do it in terms of business. I understand it from the media optics side of things.

Except for a very small group of people, there's no money in it. Where's the money? In selling programs that teach people how to be a "successful" affiliate marketer. For two years, long ago, I have a half ownership stake in a restaurant. Never again. I sold my end after two years and got my original investment back. But I lost the time, sweat, blood, stress and turmoil of those two years while also juggling my other businesses. You know who makes money in the restaurant business? Not the average restaurant, most are barely scraping by, but it's the companies who sell you the take out containers, the stainless steel, the industrial equipment, etc, etc.

If you want to start a business, focus less on servicing the public, focus more on servicing those who are trapped into servicing the public.

A good example is there's good money in plumbing. Great money if you do it right. But the best money is supplying plumbers, not being a plumber yourself. "Best" as in isolating yourself away from the majority of people.

Anyone who wants to teach you how to be a good affiliate marketer is likely a grifter. Probably unskilled. Probably trying to sell you something.

Best advice is this - Go casually watch some YouTube videos, not from people trying to sell you a program. Get the general lingo down. Get the core concepts down. Get a notebook and a pen and take notes.

Think about a subject that generates passion for you. Can be anything. You like building furniture out of recycled cardboard? Go for it. Start making videos on what you like and upload it to YouTube. If you have a topic that aligns to a product base, something like gaming PC building for example, then a pathway to affiliate links is natural. Start small, then baby steps. Focus on something you like. Then keep doing it and keep learning. Passion makes learning not feel like a grind to learn.

The people who can scratch out a real living are putting eggs into different baskets. A guy to look at is The Quartering. He turned his channel into a new business, his own little coffee/tea company. I don't think he's particularly great from a media optics evaluation, but he knows how to manipulate the algorithms of the platforms in place. Something also to keep in mind in that folks you see that seem successful are back end supported fronts for other entities. Also there are pathways to essentially buy your way into further manipulating various platform algorithms.

If you look at FBG's own YouTube channel, their videos get 500 views, sometimes a thousand, sometimes a couple of thousand. No offense to those guys, but they don't know what they are doing.

I could get them to half a million views for each video in three months. A million subscribers in a year. They'd need to make some changes of course. FBG is leaving money on the table there. But maybe they want it that way, I don't know.

Find something you really like. Something you are excited about talking about and covering and dealing with and learning about all the time. Do that. Keep doing it. It might not be drop shipping or affiliate linking, but there's usually some way to monetize it.

I cannot stress this part enough - Write your thoughts down. Write your ideas down. Write what you learn down. Once a week, review your notebook and weigh out what you learned, where you went wrong, where you went right, what you want to change.

All success requires consistent process and structure of some kind.

Anyone who wants to teach you how to be a good affiliate marketer is likely a grifter. Probably unskilled. Probably trying to sell you something.
Disagree here. A lot of the sites and tools that are useful for affiliate marketing actually have affiliate programs as well (which makes sense), such as website hosting, advertising mediums, etc. Just because they have affiliate programs doesn't mean they're shady. Walmart, Amazon, Home Depot, and lots of huge companies have affiliate programs, and it's foolish to not take advantage of those if you have a way to do so.

A long known way to make money is to teach people how to do something that you know how to do. Sharing your own intellectual property doesn't make you a grifter. Have you seen the dumb things we humans spend money on?? You'd be foolish (turning down free money and essentially not taking your own advice) to give guidance to people on helpful and useful tools of the trade without taking advantage of that.

That said, I do 100% agree with most of the rest of your thoughts. Find a niche that you are passionate about and know a lot about. Chances are there are a good number of people that know less than you about that thing but may want to learn about it. Focus on that.

And yep, I also agree in that I see many social media accounts that have a 6-figure+ following that are missing out on a lot of money for minimal effort.

ETA: I would add the caveat for above that anyone you are taking advice from should be showing you detailed receipts (the "trail" of their journey) on how they've successfully implemented the advice they're giving. If they're not doing that, very possibly a grifter.

Last edited:
This is the closest thread I could find to what km doing. I started an Amazon seller account a few months ago and it's kicking ***. Just finishing my 4th month, but it's growing quickly. I can see it easily growing into 100k profit by end of 2nd year.

This is the closest thread I could find to what km doing. I started an Amazon seller account a few months ago and it's kicking ***. Just finishing my 4th month, but it's growing quickly. I can see it easily growing into 100k profit by end of 2nd year.
What are you selling? I apologize if that’s an ignorant question given that this is a topic I know nothing about — just curious.

What are you selling? I apologize if that’s an ignorant question given that this is a topic I know nothing about — just curious.
As a 3rd party seller, you can sell almost anything on the entire Amazon website, which covers about any brand sold in the world. It's a matter of finding items that are discounted elsewhere and seeing if you can sell for a profit after fees in Amazon. I've sold a lot of different categories and brands, but I'm currently selling a large amount of Motocross gear. I know nothing about it. I just learned how to find profitable items and now to source websites for them.

As a 3rd party seller, you can sell almost anything on the entire Amazon website, which covers about any brand sold in the world. It's a matter of finding items that are discounted elsewhere and seeing if you can sell for a profit after fees in Amazon. I've sold a lot of different categories and brands, but I'm currently selling a large amount of Motocross gear. I know nothing about it. I just learned how to find profitable items and now to source websites for them.
I've had this happen a few times as a buyer. I normally try to only buy on Amazon from Amazon but occasionally some goofy product I need isn't available except through 3rd party. Very frequently those items show up at my doorstep delivered directly from Sam's Club, etc. Basically, I was a lazy buyer or didn't have access to a particular club that had the product at a price that could be arbitraged. I imagine it's almost like short selling of real products. The seller finds some product they think they can get a margin on based on what they see from sales and current listings on Amazon and then they make a listing without owning the product. Once they get a sale they go buy it from another website and have it shipped directly to the buyer. They have no capital tied up and don't have to deal with any inventory. But @flapgreen what happens if the product isn't available anymore once a sale is made? Can you just cancel the transaction without getting negative reviews?

I've had this happen a few times as a buyer. I normally try to only buy on Amazon from Amazon but occasionally some goofy product I need isn't available except through 3rd party. Very frequently those items show up at my doorstep delivered directly from Sam's Club, etc. Basically, I was a lazy buyer or didn't have access to a particular club that had the product at a price that could be arbitraged. I imagine it's almost like short selling of real products. The seller finds some product they think they can get a margin on based on what they see from sales and current listings on Amazon and then they make a listing without owning the product. Once they get a sale they go buy it from another website and have it shipped directly to the buyer. They have no capital tied up and don't have to deal with any inventory. But @flapgreen what happens if the product isn't available anymore once a sale is made? Can you just cancel the transaction without getting negative reviews?
It can be done one of two ways. I'm not familiar with what you are describing and it being delivered straight from a supplier. You can do what is called FBM, which is mailed out by the seller. Or you can do FBA, which is still sold by a 3rd party seller but ships from Amazon warehouse. Over 50% of Amazon sales are through 3rd party sellers. Most just don't realize it. I use FBA now or fulfilled by Amazon. That means I purchase my products and then box up and ship to the Amazon warehouse and they ship it out. These sales are still eligible for Amazon prime and 2 days shipping. That would appear to most as sold directly by Amazon because it ships from Amazon, but it's actually from a 3rd party seller that just ships off to the Amazon warehouse like myself. If you were to restrict your buying to only things that were sold directly by Amazon themselves, the amount of things you could purchase would be drastically less. Amazon isn't in on the majority of products directly.

So, if I send off 20 items of a product to Amazon, then I no longer appear on the listing once I sell out, unless I replinish and send more in.

I think it's something like 2 of every 5 dollars spent online is spent on Amazon. As big as Amazon is, even they don't have the capacity to purchase and sell that much by themselves. Therefore, they utilize 3rd party sellers for this and charge them fees.

An example of what I'm doing currently. I sell a specific brand of goggles that are big sellers in motocross. By buying a certain volume from the supplier, I can use a 50% off coupon and get free shipping. Then, I sell for normal retail in Amazon, which is double what I paid, and the buyer gets it for the same price as the brand website but can get it in 2 days through Amazon and free shipping. If they bought on the brand website, they're waiting a week and paying $10 for shipping. So essentially, I can price over double what I paid and it would still be the same or slightly cheaper than what they wouid pay on the brand website when you include shipping and they get it faster and more conveniently.

I follow a guy who has been doing this for over 15 years and brings in over a million in profit a year. I work a normal full-time job for the government but don't plan on doing it forever. This provides me with an additional income stream than I can eventually invest in other businesses and income streams.

Users who are viewing this thread