What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drafting TE,s (1 Viewer)

HittinHard

Footballguy
All my Dynasty leagues i play in are PPR, and i have noticed i tend to value the drafting of TE,s more now than say 3 years ago.Anybody feel different in regards to TE,s and their value now compred to say 3 seasons ago.

TE has gone from being the shallowest position to the deepest in just a few short years. It doesn't make sense to draft a TE early (unless his name is Finley, sorry about that) because of the number of high quality TEs that can be had later in the draft. After Finley and Gates, there are guys like Jason Witten, Vernon Davis, Jimmy Graham, Gronkowski, Hernandez, Clark, Merc Lewis, Jermaine Gresham, Chris Cooley, Kellen Winslow, Tony Gonzalez (still), Zach Miller, Brandon Pettigrew, Jared Cook and others. Not to mention some good young TEs in this year's draft, such as Lance Kendricks, Kyle Rudolph, Jordon Cameron, Robert Housler, and a few others.

TEs shouldn't be drafted early at all. Gates and Finley are the top 2 studs but it's not that necessary. Witten, Davis, Clark is the next tier of TEs and are not ahead of many other guys. People are drafting TEs in the 4th round which is crazy.

TEs shouldn't be drafted early at all. Gates and Finley are the top 2 studs but it's not that necessary. Witten, Davis, Clark is the next tier of TEs and are not ahead of many other guys. People are drafting TEs in the 4th round which is crazy.
No chance finley is better than Davis even if people here slobber all over him. I'll take the guy with the production.

I actually think Gates, Finley, Clark, Davis & Witten are all close. I think a good startegy is to catch the tail end of them, I was very pleased to grab Finley as the 4th TE off the board today.

Last year, looking at it from a ppg perspective, Gates was equal to WR5, and Witten was in the WR12 range with Clark in the WR20 range. Gates was a full 7 ppg better than the #4 TE, with Clark and Witten being 3-4 ppg better than TE #4. Vernon Davis, the #4 TE in ppg, was in the WR38 range with the next 3 TE's being in the WR43, WR48 and WR49 range. If I can grab Gates, Clark, Witten or maybe Finley in round 4 and get top 20 WR production at TE, instead of grabbing a WR or RB out of a group of about 40 that are so tightly packed I can get one of each in the next 2 rounds I'm going to be pretty happy.

TE has certainly changed from 10-12 years ago when a 35-40 catch guy like Kevin Boss might slip into the top 10. In redrafts i try to make sure a get at least a 2nd tier guy. Some of the 1st tier guys probably come too early, but i want a solid player there. the other thing is that I have found that except in the most shallow leagues, I carry a TE (ususally an upside) on the bench, so that I am not trying to weed through Fasono, Shockey, Heap mess to figure out which one is the hot at the moment guy.

I would target Gates, Finley, Witten, Clark and Davis early (round 4ish). After that, you can wait almost forever to grab anyone else. The first 5 are in a tier by themselves, imo. The rest are all the same. The only exception is Jimmy Graham. He has the upside to be in that top tier, so he's a good round 5/6 target.

'Multiple Scores said:
'sihaokills said:
No chance finley is better than Davis even if people here slobber all over him. I'll take the guy with the production.
:lmao:

Last year, looking at it from a ppg perspective, Gates was equal to WR5, and Witten was in the WR12 range with Clark in the WR20 range. Gates was a full 7 ppg better than the #4 TE, with Clark and Witten being 3-4 ppg better than TE #4. Vernon Davis, the #4 TE in ppg, was in the WR38 range with the next 3 TE's being in the WR43, WR48 and WR49 range. If I can grab Gates, Clark, Witten or maybe Finley in round 4 and get top 20 WR production at TE, instead of grabbing a WR or RB out of a group of about 40 that are so tightly packed I can get one of each in the next 2 rounds I'm going to be pretty happy.
I agree with most of the discussion so far, but Gates is still the most dominant TE in the NFL and FF. Last year he was on a record setting pace for both yards and TDs until he got injured. He's over 30 years old now, but in redraft I'd still make him TE1. I'm not looking at hard #s for this, but I would bet that Gates, as #1 TE in ppg was farther ahead of TE#2 than any other position. After Gates (and maybe Finley), I don't think it makes sense to jump on Davis, Clark, Witten, etc. over the likes of Graham, Gronk, etc.

I agree with most of the discussion so far, but Gates is still the most dominant TE in the NFL and FF. Last year he was on a record setting pace for both yards and TDs until he got injured. He's over 30 years old now, but in redraft I'd still make him TE1. I'm not looking at hard #s for this, but I would bet that Gates, as #1 TE in ppg was farther ahead of TE#2 than any other position. After Gates (and maybe Finley), I don't think it makes sense to jump on Davis, Clark, Witten, etc. over the likes of Graham, Gronk, etc.
I would not take Gates #1 anymore but then again I will NEVER be the first guy to take a TE first in any draft (just my personal style). I had Gates last year and was LUCKY to find Tammie as a backup when he went down. He is aging and will not complete 16 games ever again. I am targeting people like Celek, Jimmy, Witten or Zach this year.

I rank TE's Davis,Gates,Witten,Finley,Clark,Graham,Miller. I would rather take a chance on a TE late in the draft and hope it works out unless a stud falls to round 6-7.

My TE rank for redraft would go

Gates

Witten

Finley

Clark

Davis

If Can get one of them in round 6 or 7 then I would grab em. If not then I wait until 10-14 TEs off the board then grab 2 in a row.

My TE rank for redraft would goGatesWittenFinleyClarkDavisIf Can get one of them in round 6 or 7 then I would grab em. If not then I wait until 10-14 TEs off the board then grab 2 in a row.
I will bet against you getting any of those five in round six in mandatory TE leagues

Especially in PPR leagues that allow a TE as a flex position, I have really been targeting depth at the TE position. I believe that starting Pettigrew, Gresham, etc as your WR4 and Finley, Gates, etc at TE 1 is more reliable than who you might toss out there at WR4 on most teams from your WR team. TE's may not give you 30 point games, but will be more consistent with 10-20 pt games. Especially in PPR.

Especially in PPR leagues that allow a TE as a flex position, I have really been targeting depth at the TE position. I believe that starting Pettigrew, Gresham, etc as your WR4 and Finley, Gates, etc at TE 1 is more reliable than who you might toss out there at WR4 on most teams from your WR team. TE's may not give you 30 point games, but will be more consistent with 10-20 pt games. Especially in PPR.
Thats exactly how i approach TE,s in PPR,the receptions and yardage give them good value.

I dont look at TEs as a position that I may or may not get points for every week, so I go after a #1 TE pretty early. If I cant get Gates, Clark, Finley or Davis in the late 3rd early 4th I aim for Gronkowski or Graham around the 6th. Been staying away from Gonzo, Keller, Winslow, Miller, Daniels.

Users who are viewing this thread