What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Don't sleep on Donte Moncrief: Draft Day steal (3 Viewers)

Someone mentioned he plays Reggie Wayne's position better, couldn't tell what the story was. Maybe he is only a deep threat a la Robert Meachem after all.

Rotoworld:

Donte Moncrief played on a season-high 81.5 percent of the snaps in Sunday's loss at Dallas.

With T.Y. Hilton (hamstring) sidelined, Moncrief's snap count was right where we thought it would be. What we didn't see coming was Hakeem Nicks getting all the high-percentage throws (9-72-0 on 11 targets) and Andrew Luck laying a massive egg. The result was a hideous 2-5-0 on three targets for Moncrief, sending both DFS and season-long owners into the shower for a long and lonely cry.

Source: profootballfocus.com
Dec 22 - 11:37 AM

I cant believe I started him over Mike Wallace!!!

Now instead of up 10 I am down 6 with me having Demaryius vs CJ Anderson.

I guess I could still win but WOW, was that dumb

Rotoworld:

Donte Moncrief caught 3-of-3 targets for 54 yards and a touchdown in the Colts' Wild Card win over the Bengals.

With Andrew Luck making a fantastic scramble on a third quarter 2nd-and-10, Moncrief got behind two defenders to make a sliding 36-yard catch in the end zone. The score was probably four weeks too late for DFS players, but the kind of play Moncrief has proven more than capable of as a rookie. With the Colts headed for a likely Divisional Round shootout with the Broncos, Moncrief will remain on hte daily-league radar.

Jan 4 - 4:59 PM

I can't wait for Wayne to retire so we can really see this guy in action for an entire game. Reggie, you've been great over the years, but don't be like those tired beat up boxers and just hang on for a pay check. Leave the game while I can still look at you the way you were.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Donte Moncrief secured 2-of-7 targets for 32 yards in the Colts' Divisional Round playoff win over the Broncos.

Perhaps most notably, Moncrief started this game over Reggie Wayne and played a high snap percentage. He also beat Chris Harris Jr. for a physical 22-yard catch midway through the second quarter. Moncrief's second catch went for ten yards on a third-quarter slant. Moncrief is still growing as a route runner, but his progression as a rookie has been impressive. Unusually young, Moncrief won't turn 22 years old until next August.

Jan 11 - 8:15 PM

Rotoworld:

Donte Moncrief was held without a catch in Sunday's AFC Championship Game loss at New England.

The Patriots shadowed T.Y. Hilton with Kyle Arrington, leaving Darrelle Revis to see a lot of Moncrief. Of course, the raw rookie had no shot in that matchup. Still, the arrow on Moncrief is pointing straight up as we look toward 2015. Reggie Wayne and Hakeem Nicks are both free agents, Moncrief should make a big leap forward as he was just 21 years old this season and Andrew Luck is at the controls. We know Moncrief has the physical ability, as he showed flashes of his upside with a 7-113-1 line in Week 8 and a 3-134-2 outburst in Week 13. We like to bet on explosive, ascending players that go 6'2/221 with 4.40 speed.

Jan 18 - 11:15 PM

Considering his late draft position despite being a physical freak, and the fact that he really didn't do anything this year despite playing with Andrew Luck and having fairly limited competition for targets I'd be selling all day at his current valuation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering his late draft position despite being a physical freak, and the fact that he really didn't do anything this year despite playing with Andrew Luck and having fairly limited competition for targets I'd be selling all day at his current valuation.
He had a lot of competition for targets - outside of Hilton, Wayne really only dropped off towards the end of the year and Nicks was still getting a lot of PT. Not to mention Fleener and Allen. Problem is that his PT was sporadic all year - certainly will change next year.

If one views him as being an inconsistent, big play guy and/or will share too many targets, then I can see how one sees him as being overvalued. He's certainly a wait-and-see guy, but I keep coming back to the fact that not every rookie explodes on the scene due to situation, and there aren't too many guys out there (maybe Adams as another) that potentially have a great opportunity along with considerable talent.

Rotoworld:

Donte Moncrief - WR - Colts

Kevin Bowen of the Colts' official website believes second-year WR Donte Moncrief will see "significant reps" as an "entrenched" part of the offensive game plan in 2015.

Moncrief's perceived fantasy value took a big hit when Indianapolis brought in veteran WR Andre Johnson during free agency, but that situation may not be as dire as it looks. Departed WRs Reggie Wayne and Hakeem Nicks soaked up 184 targets together last season. Johnson will see a lot of those looks, but there will be plenty left over for Moncrief to build on his 32/444/3 line from last season. The arrow is still squarely pointing up for Moncrief.

Source: colts.com
Mar 28 - 11:40 AM

Re-drafting the 2014 wide receiver class

Excerpt:

Donte Moncrief, Indianapolis ColtsMoncrief has the physical tools of a No. 1 receiver, measuring in at 6-foot-2 and 221 pounds with 4.40 speed, a 40-inch vertical and an 11-foot broad jump. There is some Cordarrelle Patterson to his game as a dynamic tackle breaker limited to go routes, slants, crossers, bubble screens and end-arounds while struggling to pick up all of the route concepts.

Because Moncrief was forced to learn all of the wide receiver positions in Pep Hamilton's offense, it took time to earn Andrew Luck's trust. The former Ole Miss star played just 39 percent of the snaps, often deployed as a clear-out runner. His rookie-season production was bolstered by busted coverage in a two-score, 134-yard outburst versus the Redskins' horrendous secondary.

Aided by a hop step at the line of scrimmage, Moncrief consistently beat the bump and created separation down the field. He will likely need to bulk up to win with more consistency at the catch point. If he can put it all together, the sky's the limit in terms of playmaking ability.

The Question: Will he gain Andrew Luck's trust as a route runner?

The Colts drafted Moncrief to score touchdowns as Reggie Wayne's successor opposite T.Y. Hilton, only to turn around and sign Andre Johnson. With that trio of receivers in addition to a pair of talented tight ends, there are a lot of mouths to feed in Hamilton's offense that mixes and matches formations. Until Moncrief starts reading defenses and developing a chemistry with Luck, he's not going to earn consistent playing time.

Comparison: Early-career Dwayne Bowe mixed with Cordarrelle Patterson

Where would you guys value Moncrief vs. 1st round rookie draft picks? Most start-ups I've seen have him going between 1.05-1.08.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Colts reporter Mike Wells considers the team's No. 3 receiver job an open competition between Donte Moncrief, Phillip Dorsett, Duron Carter, and Vincent Brown.
Wells calls first-round pick Dorsett "too talented not find a way to get snaps for him." By all accounts, Dorsett has shined at OTAs and appears to pose a serious threat to Moncrief's role in sub-packages. As the Colts run a lot of two-tight end sets featuring Dwayne Allen and Coby Fleener, it's going to be hard to bank on the team's No. 3 receiver as a consistent fantasy asset.

Source: ESPN.com
May 22 - 1:42 PM

Yeah I don't like Moncrief over

Cooper

Gurley

White

Parker

Gordon

Perriman
Why is that bad? Your "rankings" disguise our feelings now. Tomorrow we might think differently.

IMO, #### the dynasty crew. "Rankings" mean nothing. It's all about how we feel when it happens.

Where would you guys value Moncrief vs. 1st round rookie draft picks? Most start-ups I've seen have him going between 1.05-1.08.
1.05-1.08??? He's not worth anything in the 1st round. I'd value him in the mid 2nd
In my dynasty start up that just finished a couple weeks ago I took him at 6.01
Where does that place him in relation to the rookies?
Cooper 2.06

Gurley 2.11

White 3.03

Gordon 3.11

I'll stop there but don't forget there are a TON of solid 2nd year receivers.

Rotoworld:

Donte Moncrief and Phillip Dorsett are both listed with the second-team offense on the Colts' first unofficial depth chart.

It means Moncrief hasn't been completely buried, but he's had a quiet camp. That's especially true in comparison to Dorsett, who's been drawing raves for his speed. Dorsett is a real threat to Moncrief's No. 3 status.

Related: Phillip Dorsett

Source: Stephen Holder on Twitter

Aug 11 - 2:46 PM

What I'm gathering from this is Andrew Luck is going to have a monster season. Bad defense, multiple weapons, all the rules in favor of passing and points? Look out.

Rotoworld:

Donte Moncrief (groin) won't play in Sunday's preseason game against the Eagles.

He suffered a strained groin in practice. T.Y. Hilton (personal) is also sitting out, which means we'll probably see a heavy dose of Duron Carter and Phillip Dorsett. Moncrief is nothing more than a late-round flyer in fantasy leagues.

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter

Aug 16 - 12:16 PM

Rotoworld:

Donte Moncrief caught 2-of-3 targets for 25 yards in Saturday's preseason game.

With Phillip Dorsett (knee) sidelined, Moncrief found himself in three-receiver sets by default, and also served as a punt and kick returner. He flashed some of his explosion on a 20-yard grab late in the first half, but also muffed a punt. If Moncrief sits out Thursday's finale, he'll finish the preseason with three catches for 45 yards. Dorsett has looked like the favorite for the No. 3 job behind T.Y. Hilton and Andre Johnson, but that could change if his knee injury lingers.

Related: Phillip Dorsett

Aug 29 - 11:19 PM

Moncrief looked good. Here is the reality of the situation.

TY Hilton-Clear WR1, could be out for a few games...

WR2-Andre Johnson: He is on a pitch count of sorts. They don't want to wear him out but at 33+ years of age, can he be expected to carry the load in this offense?

Dorsett: I love the guy being a former U but his calling card was shaky hands and he already fumbled a punt return this past Sunday, He has no experience and I think folks are a little high on a guy that has lots of speed but hands are not proven at this point.

That brings us back to Moncrief who has a chance to post top 20 numbers the next couple weeks if Hilton is out. He has some chemistry with Luck, it's his 2nd season, don't overlook the guy producing and taking targets.

How'd he look?
He was Luck's favorite receiver after T.Y. went out, was best player on the field for the Colts O IMO.
Yeah. Much better than I thought when reading he lost #2 to Dorsett. Must start with Hilton out.
Moncrief was much more involved than Dorsett with Hilton in, but I'm not sure I would say he was "Luck's favorite receiver" after Hilton went out. It is admittedly a small sample size, but here are the target totals (and line) for the Colts WR/TEs in the 4th quarter after the Hilton injury:

Andre: 5 targets (0-0-0)

Dorsett: 3 targets (2-47-0)

Allen: 3 targets (1-6-1)

Moncrief: 1 target (0-0-0)

Fleener: 1 target (1-1-5)

Others: 1 target (1-1-18)

So, Luck leaned most heavily on Andre after the Hilton injury, but Andre did literally nothing with that attention. The most productive in the set was clearly Dorsett. Again, this is a small sample size, but there is certainly evidence suggesting that Dorsett is the player who makes a big jump with Hilton out.

P.S. I realize the quote is not from you, Slapdash--I'm just responding in the queue.

WR2-Andre Johnson: He is on a pitch count of sorts. They don't want to wear him out but at 33+ years of age, can he be expected to carry the load in this offense?

Dorsett: I love the guy being a former U but his calling card was shaky hands and he already fumbled a punt return this past Sunday, He has no experience and I think folks are a little high on a guy that has lots of speed but hands are not proven at this point.

That brings us back to Moncrief who has a chance to post top 20 numbers the next couple weeks if Hilton is out. He has some chemistry with Luck, it's his 2nd season, don't overlook the guy producing and taking targets.
WHOA

WHOA
He's been back flying under the radar for awhile.

He looked okay after Hilton got hurt - I don't think he was as good as you might think from just reading this board. He surely stood out compared to Andre Johnson and Dorsett, but that didn't seem hard.

If Andre Johnson can get back to catching the ball, Moncrief goes back to a part-time role. If not, he has limited competition for the second WR spot, although the perceived value of that might be overly inflated in FF, because the Johnson volume would start channeling more to the two TEs, less to another WR. The Colts also won't be playing 20 points from behind on most days.

Good buy if you can get him at the price of a WR4-5, but not at WR3 prices.

He looked okay after Hilton got hurt - I don't think he was as good as you might think from just reading this board. He surely stood out compared to Andre Johnson and Dorsett, but that didn't seem hard.

If Andre Johnson can get back to catching the ball, Moncrief goes back to a part-time role. If not, he has limited competition for the second WR spot, although the perceived value of that might be overly inflated in FF, because the Johnson volume would start channeling more to the two TEs, less to another WR. The Colts also won't be playing 20 points from behind on most days.

Good buy if you can get him at the price of a WR4-5, but not at WR3 prices.
Agree fully.

Users who are viewing this thread