What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Don't sleep on Donte Moncrief: Draft Day steal (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Donte Moncrief caught 7-of-12 targets for 113 yards and a touchdown in Indy's Week 8 loss to the Steelers.

Moncrief started the game running behind Hakeem Nicks in the absence of Reggie Wayne, but Indy came to its senses after Nicks turned in some typically-ineffective touches. Moncrief proceeded to make plays all afternoon, with his 31-yard touchdown being the highlight. Moncrief straight whipped Cortez Allen before slithering through Allen and Troy Polamalu at the goal line. Moncrief will be no better than No. 3 on the depth chart once Wayne (arm) returns, but he's a solid flier if you're hurting for receiver help in 12-14 team leagues.

Oct 26 - 8:55 PM

I think so. And Nicks is one foot in the glue factory. I have him in 3 of my 4 leagues and desperately trying to trade for him in the other one. But that owner won't budge from some lucrative offers. Time is right to ride the train while it's hot. Once Wayne comes back, I'd expect his role will cool down. I suspect they give Wayne the bye week to get his elbow right.

I think so. And Nicks is one foot in the glue factory. I have him in 3 of my 4 leagues and desperately trying to trade for him in the other one. But that owner won't budge from some lucrative offers. Time is right to ride the train while it's hot. Once Wayne comes back, I'd expect his role will cool down. I suspect they give Wayne the bye week to get his elbow right.
:thumbup:

He fell to me at the #21 spot in a 32 team league. I was elated.

Been trying to pick him up in my other leagues as well. I just traded for him in a 16 team PPR/IDP league...only cost me Martellus Bennett and Heath Miller. :ph34r:

dynasty, where we do we put this guy??

what would you offer for him?
If he becomes Luck's #1/top-targeted WR -- and we saw what happens already in those circumstances -- he's got to become a top 10 dynasty WR.
Even I'm not that optimistic. TY Hilton stands in the way.
TY is 5'9" and a different animal. I don't believe he stands in Moncrief's way.
Yes, TY does stand in the way.

Thankfully though, the QB they have is Andrew freaking Luck. He can feed both (barring any Pep Hamilton nonsense).

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't a big fan of this guy coming out of college but any WR getting a decent number of targets from Luck is worth owning. Gotta assume he's moved past Nicks and Wayne is still likely banged up. With a few teams on bye I think he's worth a look this week as a flex/WR3 play in 12 team PPR.

In bye week hell I'm rolling with him just on the principle that Luck is that good. This generations Peyton. Makes anyone who catches for him startable (that's how bad Hakeem Nicks is now).

The body catching still concerns me but certainly a promising breakout party versus Pitt.
This.

This guy is such an intriguing guy especially in dynasty. He has so many positive attributes, but his hands are very average and I don't know if that is ever correctable. You can either catch consistently or you can't. I think that may be one of the things that stops him from ever becoming an elite guy. He will have the qb, the opportunity and the offense to do it, but I just don't know if those hands will let him.

The body catching still concerns me but certainly a promising breakout party versus Pitt.
This.

This guy is such an intriguing guy especially in dynasty. He has so many positive attributes, but his hands are very average and I don't know if that is ever correctable. You can either catch consistently or you can't. I think that may be one of the things that stops him from ever becoming an elite guy. He will have the qb, the opportunity and the offense to do it, but I just don't know if those hands will let him.
Don't always believe the scouting reports - results are what matters. Time will tell, but so far so good.

zamboni said:
Carter_Can_Fly said:
King of the Jungle said:
This.

Don't always believe the scouting reports - results are what matters. Time will tell, but so far so good.
Agreed. I think it's lazy analysis to go back to the college scouting reports. He had some concentration lapses, but for the most part his acceleration, burst, and separation jump off the screen. The announcers didn't even know his name. "caught by #10!" they'd say unsure of themselves. The one TD play was a very good catch over the defender and all hands. I read the old scouting reports like you did, but this isn't the second coming of DHB either. Moncrief has developed and it shows up on tape. Scouting reports are as usefull as last Sunday's newspaper.

zamboni said:
Carter_Can_Fly said:
King of the Jungle said:
This.

Agreed. I think it's lazy analysis to go back to the college scouting reports. He had some concentration lapses, but for the most part his acceleration, burst, and separation jump off the screen. The announcers didn't even know his name. "caught by #10!" they'd say unsure of themselves. The one TD play was a very good catch over the defender and all hands. I read the old scouting reports like you did, but this isn't the second coming of DHB either. Moncrief has developed and it shows up on tape. Scouting reports are as usefull as last Sunday's newspaper.
I thought he used his body quite a bit in the Pitt game - maybe I saw something that was not there. His TD catch looked initially like he cradled it and trapped it with his body. I am not sure about what the scouting reports said.

(RotoWire) Colts head coach Chuck Pagano said he plans to make Monncrief a larger part of the offense. "We would like to get him, a bunch of other guys as many touches as possible. He's definitely earned that," he told the team's official web site. Analysis: Monncrief had a career best seven receptions for 113 yards and a touchdown last week and it sounds like his role will grow even when Reggie Wayne returns from an arm injury. Monncrief has likely jumped ahead of Hakeem Nicks on the depth chart, but Pagano's remarks were also not very specific.

Rational coaching would say that you easily play him over Nicks, and give him preference over Wayne in some WR sets (depending on game situation, etc). That would leave Wayne fresher for the playoffs and give Moncrief valuable experience.

Wayne's a consumate professional and he worked too hard to go out with a whimper, especially after everyone wrote his career off from his torn ACL. When he returns (guessing after the bye week), he will have his role back. But Moncrief has clearly jumped Nicks, and should begin to cut into Wayne's targets moving forward. Something's gotta give, maybe the TE's Allen and Fleener lose a target a game. Maybe, probably I mean, Nicks falls off the planet. But one way or the other Moncrief is going to get some regular targets. Probably not 12 a game, but enough to be WR3 worthy in redraft.

While I do like this guy long term, I'm doubtful of his production short term as long as Wayne is playing. He may have leap frogged Nicks for WR#3 duties, but it's not like the #3 WR was getting hardly any looks anyway. There are just too many options in this offense. Wayne, TY, Fleener, Allen, Bradshaw...and then maybe Moncrief. Notice Moncrief had a big week in Wayne's role last week. If Wayne comes back...Donte goes back to his #3 WR duties.

Granted, anything can happen with Luck as your QB. But there are just so many mouths to feed. Next year he could be a beast (assuming Wayne retires or settles in as a posession, inside WR type or "veteran presence" for the locker room).

While I do like this guy long term, I'm doubtful of his production short term as long as Wayne is playing. He may have leap frogged Nicks for WR#3 duties, but it's not like the #3 WR was getting hardly any looks anyway. There are just too many options in this offense. Wayne, TY, Fleener, Allen, Bradshaw...and then maybe Moncrief. Notice Moncrief had a big week in Wayne's role last week. If Wayne comes back...Donte goes back to his #3 WR duties.

Granted, anything can happen with Luck as your QB. But there are just so many mouths to feed. Next year he could be a beast (assuming Wayne retires or settles in as a posession, inside WR type or "veteran presence" for the locker room).
Luck does spread it out plenty, so the receivers outside of Hilton and Wayne have gotten a fair amount of looks. It's possible that, as someone mentioned earlier, Moncrief may get some of the looks that Nicks/Allen/Fleener get, but we'll have to see.

I think the MNF game against the Giants will have a lot of passing, so you could probably do worse even if Wayne plays with so many guys on byes.

Next year, Moncrief will be a stud. Fourth round ADP in redraft if Wayne hangs them up. And if Wayne gets nicked again, last Sunday's statline will be typical.

There was a lot of coach speak in there but Pagano sounds like he knows what he has in Moncrief and plans to use it. I am cautiously hopeful.

For most purposes, that is what he is and has been for a year now. He is clearly the "hands" and move the chains guy. He hasn't relied on a lot of the aspects of his game he once had in a good time. And there is a role for that on this team given the volume the team is now throwing at.

If you go back and watch Moncrief from all the earlier games this year, you will see that 2-3 times a game, they would bring him in and put him in a bunch formation.

On seemingly every one of those far and few plays he was on the field, they were going to him and he was producing.

I think the coaches have known for a good while now that he has the stuff. Its just a matter of Nicks being formally shown the bench and its coming. They have given Nicks an honest opportunity to come out and play well on a "prove it" contract and half way into the season, we can pretty easily see which wr group on the field gives the Colts the most formidable offense. Hilton able to play out and in, Wayne able to play out and in, Moncrief playing out, double TE. This team has pieces at every spot now if they want it.

Scooped him up, and if Wayne is out I am playing him and Hilton without hesitation. Its the same as playing two Denver WRs or Green Bay WRs. The floor is awfully high with an explosion more than possible.

I am not just going by the scouting report of bad hands .I have watched him this year. He does not always catch the ball cleanly and catches to many times with his body. He is big strong and fast. He will probably end up being a very good fantasy WR, but it will be tough for him to be elite as I think he will leave some plays out there in the future as he does not high point the ball or always consistently catch with his hands.

No doubt he's fighting the ball a bit. He's a rookie and maybe a little unsure of himself and wanting to make sure he makes the catch???

Regardless, he is open on almost every play! He's has been since camp. The coaches know what they have, they are just building trust here. Nicks is an anchor in the offense. Sad because I have always liked him and was hopeful when the Colts signed him.

Moncrief's time is now. Wayne can coach him up on using his hands. Wayne's training camp routine is amazing to watch. He runs over and catches balls off the Juggs machine from every conceivable angle and with 2 and/or 1 hand. Just sick! If any of this can rub off on #10, look out!!!

I was just offered KJ Wright and a 2015 3rd rounder for him in a 32 team league. Am I wrong to feel insulted? I'm thinking he's worth at least a stud LB and 1st rounder...maybe a little more?

FBG says Wayne will likely play on Sunday... Where does that leave Moncrief for this week? WR3 with upside? Are you still playing him and who are you playing him over? If Wayne was out, I'd have played moncrief over edelman, but with Wayne in and NE vs. Denver, Edelman's my guy.

FBG says Wayne will likely play on Sunday... Where does that leave Moncrief for this week? WR3 with upside? Are you still playing him and who are you playing him over? If Wayne was out, I'd have played moncrief over edelman, but with Wayne in and NE vs. Denver, Edelman's my guy.
i believe they play monday night so you would have to take a leap of faith that wayne is out

I still think Moncrief will get a reasonable share of targets, with or without Wayne. More obviously if Reggie is out.

I was just offered KJ Wright and a 2015 3rd rounder for him in a 32 team league. Am I wrong to feel insulted? I'm thinking he's worth at least a stud LB and 1st rounder...maybe a little more?
Id say trust your own valuations. If thats what you think he's worth than hold the line at that.

I like him, but am wary of his ceiling. This smells of a setup, where the Colts draft a stud WR to go with the late 3rd rounder that's been a pleasant surprise. He doesn't seem to have natural ball skills and that's going to lead to some drops and missed chances that a Jeffrey would make. Hilton is probably the biggest counter to that discussion, because WR isn't exactly a huge need and given that they have a playmaker already, maybe they are satisfied to go with what they have until they can shore up other spots. I just don't see Moncrief being the lifer that people are wanting him to be with Luck. He's not Luck's Harrison or Wayne, likely he's more like his Colston, holding down the fort and overachieving until a thoroughbread shows up.

Hilton and Moncrief are the only Colts wide receivers that are signed for 2015. So they will have to sign free agents and/or draft some. They do have 3 on their practice squad at the moment too.

He's not Luck's Harrison or Wayne, likely he's more like his Colston, holding down the fort and overachieving until a thoroughbread shows up.
That's a safe bet because thoroughbreds are few and far between. But if you have room in a keeper/dynasty I'd pay a decent amount for him just for that chance.

Why doesn't Moncrief, a verifiably freakish athlete with elite measurables (which handily excel Colston's), profile as the type to be classified as a thoroughbred? Are his inconsistent hands that much of a concern? He's only 21 and will develop. Is anything else capping his upside? Is it because he wasn't a first round pick? He's certainly in the right offense to maximize his prodigious talents (to say nothing of a venerable mentor in Reggie Wayne to coach him up).

Last edited by a moderator:
I like him, but am wary of his ceiling. This smells of a setup, where the Colts draft a stud WR to go with the late 3rd rounder that's been a pleasant surprise. He doesn't seem to have natural ball skills and that's going to lead to some drops and missed chances that a Jeffrey would make. Hilton is probably the biggest counter to that discussion, because WR isn't exactly a huge need and given that they have a playmaker already, maybe they are satisfied to go with what they have until they can shore up other spots. I just don't see Moncrief being the lifer that people are wanting him to be with Luck. He's not Luck's Harrison or Wayne, likely he's more like his Colston, holding down the fort and overachieving until a thoroughbread shows up.
Most people got Moncrief cheap, we're supposed to be unhappy if we get 80-1000-7 for the next 6 years?

Users who are viewing this thread