What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Don't sleep on Donte Moncrief: Draft Day steal (2 Viewers)

I don’t understand the signing. Lee, Westbrook and Cole already there. They obviously don’t have confidence in 1, if not 2, of them. And it’s not like they are bringing in a proven veteran just a young kid with talent which they already have in spades. Seems like they have 4 #2’s now so it’s anyone’s guess how this shakes out. I have Lee in a keeper so obviously hoping he takes the #1 role but really not sure at this point. 

Donte Moncrief hauled in 3-of-5 targets for 62 yards in the Jaguars' third preseason game.

Working as a top-two receiver following Marqise Lee's injury, Moncrief got loose for a 37-yard gain early in the second quarter and added two more catches after the break. It was not all roses, however, as Moncrief failed to run off the boundary corner, leading to Blake Bortles' second interception. With Lee seemingly dealing with a serious injury, Moncrief has some late-round appeal in fantasy drafts.

Aug 25 - 9:22 PM

JACKSONVILLE – Senior writer John Oehser’s Wednesday notes and observations:

https://www.jaguars.com/news/notes-and-observations-bortles-eli-and-a-daily-tom-coughlin-question

Among the more overlooked Jaguars offensive players during the preseason: wide receiver Donte Moncrief. The veteran signed as an unrestricted free agent from the Indianapolis Colts in March, then was listed as a reserve on the depth chart throughout the preseason. But Moncrief caught eight passes in three preseason games for a team-leading 106 yards and is now listed on the team’s depth chart as a starter opposite second-year veteran Keelan Cole. Bortles said Moncrief has shown good ball skills since arriving in Jacksonville, and “picked up the system pretty quickly.” Added Bortles, “The thing that sticks out to me were the two big slant routes he ran. He had a big slant route against Minnesota [for a 15-yard gain in Preseason Week 2] and then he had the big one [for 37 yards] against [Atlanta] in [Preseason] Week 3. That’s just something we haven’t seen in a while – a guy who’s able to go out there in press coverage and win on a slant – win one-on-one and get inside. He has been able to do that, and I think he’ll be able to be a threat in the red zone when we get down there as well. He has been super-impressive and is going to be a big part of our offense.”

Just wish he demonstrated any kind of consistency - the Jags seemed to think so  with a big one year contract, but haven’t seen it yet.
Yeah, no idea what to make of him. He's 2nd on the team in snap count (at WR) with a little over 70% (behind Cole - 79%, ahead of Westbrook - 61%). He's third in line for targets by a little bit, though (28-24-22 for Westbrook-Cole-Moncrief). He's the tallest and the fastest. And the highest paid. So... maybe it'll materialize? Or maybe week 4 was the high water mark?

So who is the Jags WR to own? Dede then Cole then Moncrief?
I think it’s going to vary by week. All are talented but none seem to be separating themselves from the pack. With Fournette out, it’s possible they go to a more pass happy scheme, so maybe there’s a bigger pie overall.

Last edited by a moderator:
zamboni said:
I think it’s going to vary by week. All are talented but none seem to be separating themselves from the pack. With Fournette out, it’s possible they go to a more pass happy scheme, so maybe there’s a bigger pie overall.
Correct.  There is no #1 WR in Jacksonville.  It very well could turn out that each has 600-900 yds and 5-8 TDs at the end of the season.  Reviewing coverage matchups and past usage in similar games can give you a hint as to who to play each week  (Westbrook vs. Jets slot corner Buster Skrine was a mugging just waiting to happen). 

This will always true, except (a) if Marrone and Hackett take the air out of the ball and work the ground game and passes to the RB, or (b) Bortles has one of his not-as-frequent head slapper games where he can't complete anything.

An unpredictable maddening situation that has caused me, as a Jags fan, to own 0 fantasy shares of Cole, Moncrief and Westbrook.

Donte Moncrief hauled in 3-of-4 targets for 98 yards and a touchdown in the Jaguars' Week 10 loss to the Colts.

Moncrief made his presence known quickly against his former team, breaking the offense out of an early rut with an 80-yard touchdown in which he shed a couple defenders on his way to the end zone. That was basically it for him until the fourth quarter, when he came up with a big third-down conversion. Moncrief now has at least 75 yards in three of his last five games, but his matchup next week against the Steelers is not worth attacking.

Nov 11 - 5:31 PM

Quietly having an emergent season. Will be interesting whether he stays or where he goes in the offseason.
I'd say the odds of him re-signing are about as low as any FA could be. JAX is rich with WRs and he's looking to get paid. Remember they just paid Marquise Lee who will be back form injury and both Cole and Westbrook have looked like legitimate NFL WRs, so they'll have no need to pay Moncrief in 2019. Don't forget they will also want to give Chark some playing time in year 2. 

It looks like Moncrief was smart to bet on himself this year. He's having a decent season, but most importantly he's proving he can stay healthy. If he plays all 16 games and ends up with 800+ yards on this offense, he's almost certain to get paid. The teams with the most projected cap space next year could almost all use an outside WR:

1. IND - they could use the help but if they wanted him, they'd have re-signed him this year
2. NYJ - Enunwa and Kearse are both better in the slot, Anderson seems to have taken a step backwards this year
3. BUF - Not that he's good, but Kelvin will be a FA
4. CLE - desperately need a WR with some speed (sorry Landry and Higgins) and hands (sorry Callaway)
5. OAK - Jordy is old and Cooper is gone
6. HOU - not a realistic landing spot
7. ARI - this team is solely comprised of slot receivers right now
8. SF - Garcon will probably be gone, although I expect Pettis to be next in line

I expect him to get at least a Paul Richardson-esque deal in free agency. Moncrief turns 26 in August.

What's horrible? Same QB. AR15 averaged 5.9 yards per target. Moncrief is sitting at 7.8. I'm not saying they are the same type of player. Just that while Moncrief's stats aren't great this year, they aren't bad if you take situation into account.
Montcrief hasn't had anything close to a 80/1400/14 season

All I know is the Jags decided to gamble on a player outside of their system in  Moncrief for  $9.5-12M instead of bringing back a player they knew in Robinson for about $14M.  They saved a little money, but that does not seem like a money motivated decision to me.

So he is on a long list of WR's who put up crappy numbers with crappy QBs?
Sigh... this is my last attempt to spell it out: He's putting up decent numbers with a crappy QB. Even better numbers than a good WR did with this same QB. His performance is probably good enough to get at least a Paul Richardson-esque contract somewhere.

FF Ninja said:
Sigh... this is my last attempt to spell it out: He's putting up decent numbers with a crappy QB. Even better numbers than a good WR did with this same QB. His performance is probably good enough to get at least a Paul Richardson-esque contract somewhere.
You're just cherry picking stats to make a horrible comp.  AR also put up elite numbers with the same QB while Montcrief has never been much more than a JAG, even playing with Luck.

You're just cherry picking stats to make a horrible comp.  AR also put up elite numbers with the same QB while Montcrief has never been much more than a JAG, even playing with Luck.
I keep trying to tell you it's not a comparison on Robinson and Moncrief's careers. Maybe if I do it again? Hey, it's not a comp of their careers. Got it?

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter 8m8 minutes ago

Former Jaguars’ WR Donte Moncrief reached agreement on a two-year deal with the Pittsburgh Steeelrs, per source.

Classic Steelers move. Seems like they like buying the big athletic WRs after all their hype is gone (DHB and Justin Hunter as a couple of recent examples). 

It's good for Moncrief and the Steelers, and I'd say good for Washington. The Steelers were going to add somebody at WR. This move doesn't preclude them drafting a WR on day 2 of the draft, but it makes them a little less likely to reach for one IMO. 

Anybody know what the contract was? There are a lot of targets in that offense. Will be very interesting to see who is the WR2 and who is the WR3 between him and Washington. 

I've always liked Moncrief and have always been surprised his career went a bit sideways. 

eta* And nobody is reporting a salary yet.  

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a better opportunity for him with bigben....pitt likes their wr to marinade....they have a good track record of developing their own...james washington has the advantage of 1 season under his belt w ben
Not sure I would call that an advantage.  Their chemistry was terrible.  I can easily see Moncrief out performing Washington as much as it pains me to say that.  I have Washington in several leagues and Moncrief in none.

I like his game better then Washington myself.  Moncrief dealt with horrible QB play last year and in his Colts tenure and he and Luck were rarely healthy at the time.  In 2015 Luck missed about half the season. In 2016 Moncrief had the shoulder issue which knocked him out half the season and limited him when he did play. 2017 no Luck and 2018 he got Jagged. Only year he was healthy he played most of the season with a healthy and good QB was his rookie year. I like the signing for him and depending on the money I like it for the Steelers. 

Users who are viewing this thread