What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dogs are freaking AWESOME. (1 Viewer)

Yeah, he had been seen by a few, and was on a steroid for a while, but this last time when whatever it was came back, it was just too much for him to overcome.  He was 14.5, a pretty good age for a border collie.  The eye darting thing really scared me, and you could just tell - he'd given it all that he could. 

I was such a mess yesterday when they put him down.  Cried so hard that my face hurt for the rest of the day. 
i have had only 2 dogs in my life since i lived in an apartment for the bulk.  I've posted here about losing my first in 2015.  swore i would never do it again, cause i know the inevitable.         i feel for you, it absolutely crushed my soul, i had him almost 15 years as a rescue from a kill shelter.  3 mos. later wound up with my current beagle.  I'd like to think my old guy went out knowing our new guy needed a good home and we'd be available.  that said, both myself and my wife still accidently call our new guy the old guy's name and its been 3 years. 

Wife and I had it done around lunch time yesterday.  She'd had him since a pup (far longer than she's had me), so it hit her harder and she took the entire day off.  I went back to work to think about other stuff, then picked up our just turned 3 year old from day care to take him home.  At home, we tried to explain to him that Luke had been sick and he won't see Luke anymore, that Luke was gone.  He didn't seem to care much, and asked where his grandmother was (who had just spent the weekend with him). 

About 30 minutes later, he saw a little toddler stool on the counter that we had been using as a food bowl platform for Luke, as it had been harder for him to bend over to a bowl on the ground while eating.  Son picked it up and put it where Luke's food bowl had been and said, "this is Lukeys".  That hit hard.

matttyl said:
Today is the day every dog owner dreads.  I'll be saying goodbye to my buddy Luke, the border collie.  He was a package deal with my wife when we started dating about 9 years ago, and now, at age 14.5, he's given us all he has and it's time to say goodbye.  He started having seizures or strokes or something similar last September/October.  To the point that all we wanted at the time was to keep him until Christmas, which we obviously did.  It was a happy day for all.  On Friday, he had another episode, and we told ourselves we'd give him to Monday to see how he's doing.  He wasn't able to stand up on his own, and when lifted up would just "stiff leg it", so he could stand up, but wouldn't/couldn't walk.  It was heartbreaking to see, and more heartbreaking knowing what's coming in a little less than 3 hours.  He had as good of a weekend as could be expected - hot dogs and cheese and peanut butter, and laying out under the ceiling fan on the back deck with a nice breeze and not too hot (just the weather he loves).  Easily the smartest dog I've ever owned, and he will be sorely missed by all who knew him. 
RIP Luke...what a good boy!

:cry:

matttyl said:
Today is the day every dog owner dreads.  I'll be saying goodbye to my buddy Luke, the border collie.  He was a package deal with my wife when we started dating about 9 years ago, and now, at age 14.5, he's given us all he has and it's time to say goodbye.  He started having seizures or strokes or something similar last September/October.  To the point that all we wanted at the time was to keep him until Christmas, which we obviously did.  It was a happy day for all.  On Friday, he had another episode, and we told ourselves we'd give him to Monday to see how he's doing.  He wasn't able to stand up on his own, and when lifted up would just "stiff leg it", so he could stand up, but wouldn't/couldn't walk.  It was heartbreaking to see, and more heartbreaking knowing what's coming in a little less than 3 hours.  He had as good of a weekend as could be expected - hot dogs and cheese and peanut butter, and laying out under the ceiling fan on the back deck with a nice breeze and not too hot (just the weather he loves).  Easily the smartest dog I've ever owned, and he will be sorely missed by all who knew him. 
Sorry man, I know it’s the worst. Luke knew you loved him every second of every day and he was happy for life he had with you. 

Wife and I had it done around lunch time yesterday.  She'd had him since a pup (far longer than she's had me), so it hit her harder and she took the entire day off.  I went back to work to think about other stuff, then picked up our just turned 3 year old from day care to take him home.  At home, we tried to explain to him that Luke had been sick and he won't see Luke anymore, that Luke was gone.  He didn't seem to care much, and asked where his grandmother was (who had just spent the weekend with him). 

About 30 minutes later, he saw a little toddler stool on the counter that we had been using as a food bowl platform for Luke, as it had been harder for him to bend over to a bowl on the ground while eating.  Son picked it up and put it where Luke's food bowl had been and said, "this is Lukeys".  That hit hard.
I'm very sorry for your loss.

We're on a Pug rescue list and got the call that there is one available. She is a 3 year-old female available and she was in a backyard breeding situation. She's healthy and recovering from a few treatments at a vet. She visited our lil pug yesterday and will join our PUG NATION next Thursday. 

Rosie the pug

@matttyl So sorry to hear about Luke.  Sounded like a wonderful dog,friend,and companion.  It is the hardest thing about being a dog lover or pet owner.  I like to think if there is an after life they all will be there waiting for us tail wagging and jumping when we arrive.

We're on a Pug rescue list and got the call that there is one available. She is a 3 year-old female available and she was in a backyard breeding situation. She's healthy and recovering from a few treatments at a vet. She visited our lil pug yesterday and will join our PUG NATION next Thursday. 

Rosie the pug
i will pay for that dog and to be entered in an underbite contest!

im just going to throw this out there...  if you let your dog outside your house and out into the neighborhood without a leash, you’re an #######. For the second time now, myself and my dog got attacked. Of course “this is the first time he’s ever done this.”  I’m walking my boy, I see a guy down the street with a dog, as I get to about 150ft I realize he’s off leash. I turn around to head back, not two seconds later with my back turned I hear the guy screaming. I turn around and see a 60-70lb dog full sprint right at us. I get in between, my boy is trying to get away, eventually I spray this citronella mace type stuff and that sound scared them enough to separate and the guy took his dog in.  He was apologetic, but how hard is it to use a leash?  I’ve got like 10 of them, I’ll give you one. Bottom line: just because your dog is good off leash, it doesn’t make it cool for other people that don’t know you or your dog. 

Rant over.

luckily we got away with only one puncture wound in my boy’s neck - it took a few staples to close and he can’t wear his collar right now until it heals.

https://postimg.cc/image/u3pwsbrhd/

Of course he had completely forgotten by the end and was trying to play with the kittens in the waiting room while I paid...

https://postimg.cc/image/l8p2htaep/

Last edited by a moderator:
im just going to throw this out there...  if you let your dog outside your house and out into the neighborhood without a leash, you’re an #######. For the second time now, myself and my dog got attacked. Of course “this is the first time he’s ever done this.”  I’m walking my boy, I see a guy down the street with a dog, as I get to about 150ft I realize he’s off leash. I turn around to head back, not two seconds later with my back turned I hear the guy screaming. I turn around and see a 60-70lb dog full sprint right at us. I get in between, my boy is trying to get away, eventually I spray this citronella mace type stuff and that sound scared them enough to separate and the guy took his dog in.  He was apologetic, but how hard is it to use a leash?  I’ve got like 10 of them, I’ll give you one. Bottom line: just because your dog is good off leash, it doesn’t make it cool for other people that don’t know you or your dog. 

Rant over.

luckily we got away with only one puncture wound in my boy’s neck - it took a few staples to close and he can’t wear his collar right now until it heals.

https://postimg.cc/image/u3pwsbrhd/

Of course he had completely forgotten by the end and was trying to play with the kittens in the waiting room while I paid...

https://postimg.cc/image/l8p2htaep/
Horrible- what a ####!

most (all) cities have leash laws.If you know where this guy lives I would call the police. Did he offer to pay for any of the vet bills?

Horrible- what a ####!

most (all) cities have leash laws.If you know where this guy lives I would call the police. Did he offer to pay for any of the vet bills?
We definitely have leash laws.  I’m thinking of emailing the HOA and seeing if we can get a neighborhood email sent out. School started last week, I can only imagine if the dog ran up to a kid at the bus stop. 

The guy was apologetic but when I said I needed to hurry and get my boy to the Vet, he gave me the “oh, I don’t think it’s that bad” speech. Like I’m going to let my dog just chill out when he’s bleeding from the neck. I don’t care about the money honestly, I just want the guy to use a leash so I can walk my dog without fear of getting attacked. 

We definitely have leash laws.  I’m thinking of emailing the HOA and seeing if we can get a neighborhood email sent out. School started last week, I can only imagine if the dog ran up to a kid at the bus stop. 

The guy was apologetic but when I said I needed to hurry and get my boy to the Vet, he gave me the “oh, I don’t think it’s that bad” speech. Like I’m going to let my dog just chill out when he’s bleeding from the neck. I don’t care about the money honestly, I just want the guy to use a leash so I can walk my dog without fear of getting attacked. 
Man I would definitely hand that guy the Vet bill.  No stupid dogs just stupid owners.

You caring about the money might be the way to get him to use a leash. 

what is this?
It’s this: https://www.amazon.com/SprayShield-Animal-Deterrent-Spray-Belt/dp/B0002XKIV6

Basically citronella in a mace contraption. It shoots just like mace would, but just annoys them and makes them smell like potpourri instead of blinding them. I carry it basically for situations like this. I wish I had shot it right away but I didn’t think about it instantly. It did however stop things sooner than had I not used it. I shot it in between them and they both backed off. 

It’s this: https://www.amazon.com/SprayShield-Animal-Deterrent-Spray-Belt/dp/B0002XKIV6

Basically citronella in a mace contraption. It shoots just like mace would, but just annoys them and makes them smell like potpourri instead of blinding them. I carry it basically for situations like this. I wish I had shot it right away but I didn’t think about it instantly. It did however stop things sooner than had I not used it. I shot it in between them and they both backed off. 
great...thanks!

We grow citronella in an herb garden where mosquitoes have been a problem... and our little dogs roll in it about once per month.  They smell great.

i carry real mace and use it......not my problem your dog is off leash.

also, here is my vet bill.  pay or i call animal control and small claims court you, simple choice.  it can actually be covered by his home owners policy, i know this from being attacked.

anyone have ideas why our seemingly intelligent and well behaved dog keeps eating dog beds?

this is the.....7th? different materials, though 4 of them have been your standard soft cottony type material. she has also torn up 2 beds made of "indestructible" material. 

getting a little tired of this ####

thanks. we'll look in to this. though, two of the "indestructible" beds she ate were made of kevlar. at least in part.
What kind of dog, Furls?  I'm recalling boxer for some reason.  If that's the case.....sorry, but there is probably no bed that they can't murder if properly motivated.

What kind of dog, Furls?  I'm recalling boxer for some reason.  If that's the case.....sorry, but there is probably no bed that they can't murder if properly motivated.
we were told staffordshire terrier mix (from her looks probably mixed with boxer)

so murder-dog adjacent

mr. furley said:
thanks. we'll look in to this. though, two of the "indestructible" beds she ate were made of kevlar. at least in part.
Wow.  FWIW mine tore up a few of those cheaper type beds.  This one has been going a few years strong and survived several wash cycles and still looks brand new.  The thing that sold me on them was the 90 day chew proof guarantee.  If you want any closeups then I can get you some of the seams etc.  That was my biggest concern but no problems yet.

Wow.  FWIW mine tore up a few of those cheaper type beds.  This one has been going a few years strong and survived several wash cycles and still looks brand new.  The thing that sold me on them was the 90 day chew proof guarantee.  If you want any closeups then I can get you some of the seams etc.  That was my biggest concern but no problems yet.
https://ibb.co/gdY2rz Behold the supremecy of the IPhone XS camera quality :wall:

I think we bought the extra small in bama colors because we are LSU fans.  She is about 10 pounds.

Reading these stories about peoples' dogs passing on got me thinking.  If it's an end of life thing and the decision has been made to put the dog down, are vets willing to come to the dog's house and do it in a place they're comfortable?  I've heard of people doing that and wasn't sure how common it was.  I hate the idea of her last moments being in a sterile lab setting.  

Reading these stories about peoples' dogs passing on got me thinking.  If it's an end of life thing and the decision has been made to put the dog down, are vets willing to come to the dog's house and do it in a place they're comfortable?  I've heard of people doing that and wasn't sure how common it was.  I hate the idea of her last moments being in a sterile lab setting.  
there was a thread on reddit about this recently. and, yes it's a thing. 

So a little problem with my neighbor.....a neighbor we don't really get along with

About a month ago we rescued a boxer/mix from our local pound, all is good

Fast forward to this past week when I was getting my 3 little girls on the bus(with pup in tow).   Neighbor approaches me after the girls have gotten on the bus, and proceeds to tell me that she thinks the bus stop should be for children only, and that a dog shouldn't be at the stop.   My response was, huh?   My dog is leashed, and I don't let her near the other children, as she's a pup and likes to jump and sometimes nip.  

She then informs me that her daughter, whom doesn't actually wait in the bus line(her mom sits in their car with her until the bus arrives), is afraid of dogs, and would appreciate if I leave the dog at home.  

So the next day I'm walking out the door to get the girls on the bus and they start asking me why we're not taking the dog....I can only tell them that the dog doesn't like being around so many people, and she'll have to get a little older before we're able to take her to the bus again(a little lie, but they are kids)

My wife is pissed, other neighbor told me eff that.......let it go, or #### it?

We did this for the first time with our a golden retriever about a year ago. It was much better for everyone involved. The service also gave us some mementos like a paw print and a hair clipping. I forget the name of the organization, but I thought it was national.

We had a sheltie that was deathly afraid of the vet. They gave us a sedative that knocked her out at home, then brought her in for the procedure. That also wasn't terrible for her, though wouldn't work for a large dog like our retriever.

So a little problem with my neighbor.....a neighbor we don't really get along with

Fast forward to this past week when I was getting my 3 little girls on the bus(with pup in tow).   Neighbor approaches me after the girls have gotten on the bus, and proceeds to tell me that she thinks the bus stop should be for children only, and that a dog shouldn't be at the stop.   My response was, huh?   My dog is leashed, and I don't let her near the other children, as she's a pup and likes to jump and sometimes nip.  

She then informs me that her daughter, whom doesn't actually wait in the bus line(her mom sits in their car with her until the bus arrives), is afraid of dogs, and would appreciate if I leave the dog at home.  

So the next day I'm walking out the door to get the girls on the bus and they start asking me why we're not taking the dog....I can only tell them that the dog doesn't like being around so many people, and she'll have to get a little older before we're able to take her to the bus again(a little lie, but they are kids)

Just let it go.  If the girl really is scared of dogs, and you know that, leave your dog home IMO.

Do as you have been doing your dog is on a leash and you are being responsible tell her to take a long walk off a short pier.

this is how i let my guy jasper go....front yard too.  spent the whole morning outside.

teach your kid to not be afraid of dogs, would be my response.  news flash, there are lots of them around.

I keep thinking my 8 year old Yellow Lab is human...this dog was house broken in 3 weeks and as never gone in the house.   How they can hold it I will never know.   Today I was gone for 5-6 hours and when I get home I don`t let her out right away as I has some things to do I my office.  After 10 minutes or so she is banging her snout into me and pawing my leg frantically....I let her out and she barely made it to the lawn before exploding with a big dump.

I kmow in the morning after a couple cups of coffee I have to go and sometimes have hardly made it....how dogs hold it when they are ready is beyond me.

This dog reads my mind before a walk if I just put on the jacket I walk her in she goes crazy..sometimes I have been in our bedrom and she is with my wife and I focus on her and in a minute she is in the room.

I know she is getting older and I am already worried a few years down the road as she will be a tough loss. But I have said the same about my previous 3..they are are tough to lose so respect and enjoy them while we can.

Take the puppy over to the neighbor and ask if the girl wants to pet her.

for about the last 3 weeks or so our dog is up my ### constantly. if i'm home alone, she's sitting right in front of me. staring at me. she may walk away after quite a while.. go nap or something. then when my wife & kids come home she's all over me again. trying to nose me, nip at me, nuzzling me, bringing me her bones ..... and barking. which she did extremely rarely up until about a month ago.

i can't move without her being at my feet. for a dog lover this is probably heaven. not so much for me.

what i'm wondering is what could this sudden change possibly signal? she was more or less just a regular dog before the last month. i walk her, feed her, play with her.. no one else does. but she has not been this needy in the 2+ years we've had her. not this bad. it's like a stalker girlfriend that you can't shake.

Users who are viewing this thread