What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dogs are freaking AWESOME. (1 Viewer)

I saw that this morning on Reddit. Some of that is amazing, but watching all of it kinda made me feel bad for the dog a little bit. 
I feel worse for the lady (just based on this link).  The final text is that "human companionship can be replaced."  So, training this dog to do some (admittedly cool) tricks is her replacement for actual relationships with people?

I was just coming to post this... I was at the gym on the treadmill this morning and of course this comes on. I was fighting back tears for a good portion of it to the point where when we finished up our workout, my wife asked me what was wrong. 

Of course I come home to play with my pup and all he wants to do is roll around in the grass.  This is followed by him running past me into the house which is where he decides to shake everything off. He's an ###. 

https://s7.postimg.org/6x6waqewb/EF14_EFCD_C9_AC_4386_9_FEF_102_AAFFC6828.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My dog spent the last 20 minutes trying to get a super ball which was sitting inside a laundry basket.  She of course only tried to go through the holes or come up from underneath.  She could see it from the top, but not reach it.

i really love my dogs, and if this ever happened to me i would be truly heartbroken:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFEraqVJknw

i really would be so much more upset with my dog. Of course watching the video again i think the error here is more with the dude as a dog owner. Still, i have to think this is the worst feeling

My local shelter managed to find homes and foster situations for all their animals for about a year, but never claimed to be a no kill shelter. It's always been about available kennel space. Well, they're jammed and putting dogs down again. I am probably going to rescue a couple this coming week. Just keeping an eye on death row for now. 

So my female fox terrier shakes herself out on me every time she gets on my lap or in bed, without fail. She's doing it on purpose, right?? 

And a question about her dental. We're taking her to the vet on Saturday because she's been licking her lips/mouth incessantly since Monday. Bad tooth? Gum disease? Anyone with experience with that kind of behavior? 

So my female fox terrier shakes herself out on me every time she gets on my lap or in bed, without fail. She's doing it on purpose, right?? 

And a question about her dental. We're taking her to the vet on Saturday because she's been licking her lips/mouth incessantly since Monday. Bad tooth? Gum disease? Anyone with experience with that kind of behavior? 
Stop feeding her peanut butter?

what did the vet say?

I have a puggle (75% pug, 25% beagle) who is now about 9 years old, but you wouldn't guess it based on how excited he gets for every meal or 'play ball'. Has a passion for chasing a ball and bringing it back and an even stronger passion for eating. Not a mean bone in his body unless he's around another dog and there's food in the room and then it can become a competition. My guy is a cuddler, loves to sleep on my arm as a pillow and sleeps on his back so he looks like a little person. Probably the best single decision I've made in my life was to get a dog, but as he does get older and eventually his time will come, putting him down will be one of the toughest things I will have to do, that day will be very difficult.

Anyways, as a puppy, I put bells on my door and each time I took him out, I'd take his paw and hit the bell; At first, he drove me crazy. I must have taken him out (I'm in a condo, 2nd floor) about 30 times in one hour because if I don't take him out, he doesn't know what the bells are for, and I can't get impatient else he'll get uncomfortable.

In any case, the bells worked, he learned to ring them for the bathroom and I still can't believe he gets the purpose of them.

9 years later, the bells are still there, even though his bladder is much more stable today, and there is a little bed next to the door that he likes. Now, he likes to ring the bell before he lies down in that bed so the meaning may have shifted over time, but still love that this worked out.
have a Puggle too. Love 'em.

I have a puggle (75% pug, 25% beagle) who is now about 9 years old, but you wouldn't guess it based on how excited he gets for every meal or 'play ball'. Has a passion for chasing a ball and bringing it back and an even stronger passion for eating. Not a mean bone in his body unless he's around another dog and there's food in the room and then it can become a competition. My guy is a cuddler, loves to sleep on my arm as a pillow and sleeps on his back so he looks like a little person. Probably the best single decision I've made in my life was to get a dog, but as he does get older and eventually his time will come, putting him down will be one of the toughest things I will have to do, that day will be very difficult.

Anyways, as a puppy, I put bells on my door and each time I took him out, I'd take his paw and hit the bell; At first, he drove me crazy. I must have taken him out (I'm in a condo, 2nd floor) about 30 times in one hour because if I don't take him out, he doesn't know what the bells are for, and I can't get impatient else he'll get uncomfortable.

In any case, the bells worked, he learned to ring them for the bathroom and I still can't believe he gets the purpose of them.

9 years later, the bells are still there, even though his bladder is much more stable today, and there is a little bed next to the door that he likes. Now, he likes to ring the bell before he lies down in that bed so the meaning may have shifted over time, but still love that this worked out.
I may have to look into implementing the bell.  My mutt puppy is now a little over one.  She's a great dog.  Well behaved for the most part, loves to play, very submissive (to a fault), and will listen to what you want her to do.  She is some kind of terrier, loves to chew, but hasn't chewed anything she shouldn't in a long time.

Anyway, she's very high energy.  She might be doing her own thing for a while, but she will run up to you and just stare at you. She'll flinch (like she's going to take off running), maybe jump to her back legs and tap you on the legs, then go back down right away and get in a stance to take off running.  The confusing thing is she will act like this whether she just wants to play, or if she needs to go outside.  She knows the difference between "toy" and "outside" so no matter which one I guess, she'll get excited, but I almost always guess wrong.  If I guess she wants to play, she'll lay (loves to play tug of war, or chase bouncing objects around the house) for a few minutes then will suddenly stop and just stare at me.  Then I know she needs to go out.  If I say "outside?" she'll run to the door and wait for me to put her leash on, we'll go outside and stand where she goes and she'll just look at me.  Then I know she just wanted to play.  Have to figure out how to get her to tell me one thing or the other.

what did the vet say?
Pulled a bad tooth, everything else checked out but vet also said could just be her nerves. She's an 8lb toy fox terrier so shes a nervous little thing sometimes. It's slowed down since the tooth pull but she still does it every so often. I took away her bag of weed too, I'm thinking it could've been a little cotton mouth. :shrug:  

Here are the two issues I have with my dog. If it matters, she's a Walker Coonhound mix and is now about 2 1/2.

1) She'll go to the bathroom in the house without notifying us of any need to go if it's raining outside. She has to be forced to go outside if it's raining. She'll try to pull away and make you drag her off the deck or porch. If I'm letting her in the backyard to pee, I have to grab her by the collar and move her onto the deck. Then she'll just stand there on the deck next to the door until I guide her off the deck and into the grass. Once on the grass, she'll tip-toe around like a little princess afraid to get her paws wet. She has a hard time finding a suitable spot to go when it's raining.

2) Counter and table surfing! OK, I fully understand one solution (probably the best solution) is to not leave food on the counters and dining room table. But, in my house, that's just not going to happen. I used to be able to slide a plate of food to the back of the counter out of her reach, but she can now reach her paw to the back of the counter and pull plates towards the edge. So many times I've heard a crash in the kitchen and I know she's broken another dish that she's pulled off the counter. She also likes to be fully on top of the dining room table eating whatever she can find. Have to keep all chairs pushed in and no food or crumbs on the table. For these, I've tried a spray bottle with water and grabbing her collar to make her lie down on the ground while saying No. She responds in the moment. If I see her going up on the counter, I can say "Off" and she'll get off. She'll then slouch down to the ground on her own without me grabbing her collar. But, while she's responsive in the moment, it doesn't keep her from going back in the future. Like I said, I know keeping the counters clean is probably the best solution, but that seems like a lost cause with my family.

The other annoying area is that she takes advantage anytime she gets off leash. I'm sure I could go through intense (potentially expensive) training to help with that, but just about every owner of a hound I've ever met says that just comes with the breed so I'm somewhat ok with not fixing that. A previous neighbor had a shock collar on his hound mix and he would stay relatively close to his owner. Are those consider ok these days or is that a no-no? Being in the suburbs, the obvious concern is that she'll run into the road. When she gets away, she mostly goes in the woods behind our house and hasn't come close to approaching a big road. She likes to go get wet and muddy in the creek (which is interesting since she doesn't like to go out and pee in the rain). I'm confident she'll come home on her own, but the kids like to turn it into a search party mission so we always go after her.

Pulled a bad tooth, everything else checked out but vet also said could just be her nerves. She's an 8lb toy fox terrier so shes a nervous little thing sometimes. It's slowed down since the tooth pull but she still does it every so often. I took away her bag of weed too, I'm thinking it could've been a little cotton mouth. :shrug:  
 Just got a toy fox terrier in August. My GF works at a vet and dog was brought in with a severely broken leg. The owner wanted to put her down (at 8 months old!) but the vet refused and told her leg would have to be amputated and then they would find a home for her. Two days later, Bella came home to live with us renamed Elvira Snow.

so, I've had my new beagle for about 16 mumfs.  9.9/10, he just has anxiety issues when we leave (he barks pretty much non stop at the window while we are gone).  we work from home a lot and don't go out often, so we can deal with his issue.  On the days that we both are in the office we bring to our local vet, they have a reasonably priced doggy day care for $18- a day if you buy a package of 20, otherwise $20- a pop.......still cheaper than a 30 minute dog walker.  Gives us peace of mind knowing he is safe and he gets to play.  He's become particularly fond of another dog frequently at day care, Josie, a small golden fluff ball.  They tell me he follows her around, they sit together, doggy crush.  Well, they call me yesterday to tell me he's been singing to her all day...............apparently, he follows her around, lifts up her ear flap and bays.  Did this all day.  I showed up yesterday to pick him up and when I got out of the car I could hear the baying.  I went around the corner to spy and sure enough he's baying at her.  Any suggestions for a mix tape for him?  Obviously his rap is not working here.

took our dog (7.5 year old Frenchie, Molly) for her usual walk Tuesday night to the elementary school behind our house. she loves to run and roll around on the nicely groomed grass they have, as opposed to the not-so-awesome grass in our yard. so we're there maybe 5 minutes and i see her do this little hop/step thing like she wanted to jump over something and then she pulls her left paw up off the ground. i get over to her and she doesn't want to let me touch it, but keeps trying to run and play though she's in obvious pain. pick her up, carry her home, and get her inside to look at her paw. there's a tiny cut on the pad, but nothing else. she still wants to play, but won't put that paw down. welp, off the the ER Vet. 

by the time she gets into the exam room, her breathing is short and shallow, and her paw has started to swell. Dr. comes in i describe what happened, and she takes Molly into the back. they're gone about 10 minutes, and the Dr. comes back in with her forceps, holding a fully intact bee stinger. "We pulled this from the flesh between her paw pad and nail." vet tech comes in w/ Molly and she's doing her little wiggle-dance all over the exam room, swollen paw and everything. Dr. prescribes two Benadryl does and two anti-inflammatory doses. pay the bill - pet insurance is HIGHLY recommended - and head on home. 

the most amazing part through all of this is that Molly never once let out a cry, whimper, or yelp. she's one tough dog, probably tougher than me if i had stepped on a bee, and i love her. 

so, I've had my new beagle for about 16 mumfs.  9.9/10, he just has anxiety issues when we leave (he barks pretty much non stop at the window while we are gone).  we work from home a lot and don't go out often, so we can deal with his issue.  On the days that we both are in the office we bring to our local vet, they have a reasonably priced doggy day care for $18- a day if you buy a package of 20, otherwise $20- a pop.......still cheaper than a 30 minute dog walker.  Gives us peace of mind knowing he is safe and he gets to play.  He's become particularly fond of another dog frequently at day care, Josie, a small golden fluff ball.  They tell me he follows her around, they sit together, doggy crush.  Well, they call me yesterday to tell me he's been singing to her all day...............apparently, he follows her around, lifts up her ear flap and bays.  Did this all day.  I showed up yesterday to pick him up and when I got out of the car I could hear the baying.  I went around the corner to spy and sure enough he's baying at her.  Any suggestions for a mix tape for him?  Obviously his rap is not working here.
that is ####### awesome!

So this is just a general piece of info to pass along... pet insurance is amazing. I was hesitant, but we got it for our dog back in the fall. It's like $35/mo and has easily paid for itself so far. Our boy is 9, so we mainly got it in case of something tragic happening that we pray never comes, but it's been great for everything. The top claim from this month was his heart worm meds which after the claim was only $9!

https://s1.postimg.org/5y1wilfxb/IMG_0277.jpg

So this is just a general piece of info to pass along... pet insurance is amazing. I was hesitant, but we got it for our dog back in the fall. It's like $35/mo and has easily paid for itself so far. Our boy is 9, so we mainly got it in case of something tragic happening that we pray never comes, but it's been great for everything. The top claim from this month was his heart worm meds which after the claim was only $9!

agree 1000% 

which one do you use, I recently moved from 24petinsurance to embrace.  I pay about 390- annually for up to 6,000- in coverage with a 500- annual deductible. 

My dog (beagle mix) had me cracking up the other night.  I was too late getting to my phone to record it, which sucks.  Was obviously funnier in person, but the little guy was nosing around the entertainment center, and his nose for whatever reason bumped the xbox on button.  The green light and the beep came on, and he was startled, just stood there for a second, then started barking at it.  Then the light started to go around and that made him go bat**** crazy, barking more.  He started sprinting around the living room, knocking things over, jumping on and off the couch, then back on.  It took me a while to stop laughing.  ***, wish I was able to get to the phone faster so I could have recorded it.  but it will live in my memory.  

which one do you use, I recently moved from 24petinsurance to embrace.  I pay about 390- annually for up to 6,000- in coverage with a 500- annual deductible. 
we've been with Embrace for 7 years. reimbursements are processed quickly and aside from the monthly payment creeping up a tiny bit every year, we've been really happy with their service. 

My dog (beagle mix) had me cracking up the other night.  I was too late getting to my phone to record it, which sucks.  Was obviously funnier in person, but the little guy was nosing around the entertainment center, and his nose for whatever reason bumped the xbox on button.  The green light and the beep came on, and he was startled, just stood there for a second, then started barking at it.  Then the light started to go around and that made him go bat**** crazy, barking more.  He started sprinting around the living room, knocking things over, jumping on and off the couch, then back on.  It took me a while to stop laughing.  ***, wish I was able to get to the phone faster so I could have recorded it.  but it will live in my memory.  
It's the little stuff.  This is a long story to try to describe, but what makes me amazed at a dog's brain.  We bring our boys upstairs to bed everynight.  When we go up, my dog comes up stairs and we will play for the few minutes while they brush their teeth, etc.  At the top of the stairs, there's this little 5x5 landing that is just open, right around the corner from the stairs, with just a railing there between. She brought up a toy one night, and her favorite game is keep away where she will bring a toy up to me, I'll try to take it and she pulls it away.  When I reach for it and she pulls it away, I then walk away and she follows me, then I turn quick to try to take it and she runs away.  Rinse, repeat, you get the idea.

The other night she was at the landing at the top of the stairs with a toy.  I sneak up the stairs on all fours, then quickly reach for the toy she had, and she pulls it away.  I creep back down the stairs so she can't see me, and she runs to the tops of the stairs.  I lunge, she retreats, this goes back and forth until she stops following me and just sits, ready to pounce.  I reach my arm out at her.  She doesn't flinch so I tap at the ground to get her to flinch.  I then recoil back down the starts.  I do this a couple of times (my wife is just standing there watching the whole time).  My pup then imitates my action, as I creep back down the stairs, she comes to the top of the stairs, and taps the ground a few times, then runs away.  Cracked me up.

my guy is a random burier.  I got him a new toy yesterday, a rubber purple pig that kind of snorts when squeezed.  he 'buried' it in my bed, between pillows.  he spent 10 minutes burying and covering with imaginary dirt.  everytime he would cover with imaginary dirt it would snort.  we came up to sleep and he grabbed it to rebury.  wandered around the house then buried in the blanket.  woke up this morning and first thing he does is stick his snout between pillows.

Users who are viewing this thread