What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you pay for a haircut? (1 Viewer)

NOW WITH POLES

• yes

Votes: 72 60.0%
  • no

Votes: 45 37.5%
  • it depends

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters
Once a month, hipster chain with rock posters covering the walls, music too loud, and every stylist is like Eephus' stylist above. But they do a good job. $75-80 total (including tip) for haircut, beard trim, neck shave with straight razor, shampoo (with hot towel on face) and neck massage. After telling them what I want, I close my eyes and they get the hint that we don't need to chit chat.

One of my few genetic favorable traits. I go every 6 weeks, cut only once (like $40 including tip), and then cut plus "brushlights" (like $90 with tip).

Will go to a stylist and color my hair until I'm dead or the hair falls out.

During the early stages of the pandemic, I bought a set of clippers from Amazon.

After the initial lockdown was lifted, I went out and got a haircut from the salon. But it was only marginally better than what I could do myself. Haven't paid for a haircut since.
This is my story except without trying the salon since.

I was going to a local barber shop with mixed results. So during COVID I gave a girl that has a shop next to my local dive bar a try. I like to support local businesses. She's a regular at the bar too so we chat a lot. More expensive than barber but it comes with a shampoo after, which is nice. $60 which includes a solid tip, and that includes beard trim too.

I go to her for beard-only inbetween cuts. The sides of my beard get hella bushy real fast so I like that neat.

Also, I guess I should have answered "it depends", because I do have a sister who cuts hair and she has cut mine a few times over the past few years too.

One of my few genetic favorable traits. I go every 6 weeks, cut only once (like $40 including tip), and then cut plus "brushlights" (like $90 with tip).

Will go to a stylist and color my hair until I'm dead or the hair falls out.

Frosted tips eh?

About 20 years ago or so I asked for a clipper set for my birthday, which happens to be tomorrow. My wife made me sign a waiver before she cut my hair the first time (true story) and I haven't paid for a haircut since. Then about 3 years ago +/-, I realized how thin I had gotten on top and have shaved my head myself since then.

I go in for a cut and beard trim every 5-6 weeks. I get it all cut fairly short and then let it grow out.

I cut my own hair with with clippers and use the 1 and 2 guards for the sides and back, then the 3 guard on top, then leave it a bit longer in the front. Grew a beard during covid and I use the 1 guard for that. Wife trims the hair line on the back of my neck.

I do get a haircut every 2 or 3 months if we have a special occasion or I just need to "reset" the whole thing.

Am bald, shave with a razor two or three times a week.

If I had hair I'd wear it long and go to a pro to have it maintained.

I've always wondered, why a razor?
Seems like some clippers with no guard or a 1 guard would be a lot less hassle. I guess I've never really thought about it, but there doesn't seem much difference in the smooth cue ball and the slightly fuzzy cue ball.

Razors are expensive and actual shaving is miserable (to me).

Seems like some clippers with no guard or a 1 guard would be a lot less hassle. I guess I've never really thought about it, but there doesn't seem much difference in the smooth cue ball and the slightly fuzzy cue ball.

I like the feel better once it's done, even though it doesn't stay that way very long. I don't use "good" razors for the head shave either - I use ones that are too worn out to work on my face. The skin on my scalp is a lot less sensitive than that on my face, so a few extra passes due to a duller blade doesn't really cause problems there. Also I find it easier to navigate around the ears with the razor than an electric.

I like the feel better once it's done, even though it doesn't stay that way very long. I don't use "good" razors for the head shave either - I use ones that are too worn out to work on my face. The skin on my scalp is a lot less sensitive than that on my face, so a few extra passes due to a duller blade doesn't really cause problems there. Also I find it easier to navigate around the ears with the razor than an electric.
Makes sense.

I might be biased because I know the day is coming, and I've got a big mole on the dome that I don't think I could navigate with a razor.

Makes sense.

I might be biased because I know the day is coming, and I've got a big mole on the dome that I don't think I could navigate with a razor.
Yeah, my terrain is pretty flat. I might go with the electric if I had that consideration.

no skullet? :oldunsure:
When I was a young whippersnapper, taking drumming lessons, my instructor was this old big band drummer. Great guy, awesome player. Worst comb over + skullet combo I've ever seen, to the extent I decided at that early age that if / when I went bald I would never, EVER do the comb over or skullet. He had grown the hairs out on one side of his head so that he could create this sort of twirly danish shaped hair lid, completely laminated with hairspray that sat atop his bald skull, with skullet hanging all around the rest. I can't imagine the amount of time it must have taken to arrange things that way, and to such a horrific effect. It was worse than Ernie McCracken's do from Kingpin, much, much worse.

Girlfriend did during Covid, couldn't wait to go back to paying someone to do it right.

Same here.

First time (in June) she did a undercut and trimmed the top and it was such a relief. But then in July/Aug I wanted it shorter and she couldn't pull off the fade.

no skullet? :oldunsure:
When I was a young whippersnapper, taking drumming lessons, my instructor was this old big band drummer. Great guy, awesome player. Worst comb over + skullet combo I've ever seen, to the extent I decided at that early age that if / when I went bald I would never, EVER do the comb over or skullet. He had grown the hairs out on one side of his head so that he could create this sort of twirly danish shaped hair lid, completely laminated with hairspray that sat atop his bald skull, with skullet hanging all around the rest. I can't imagine the amount of time it must have taken to arrange things that way, and to such a horrific effect. It was worse than Ernie McCracken's do from Kingpin, much, much worse.
obviously we need photos

Yup. About once a month I schedule a haircut for myself and my mother. Our stylist owns a salon and he’ll open it up early for us so it’s just him, my mother and I. It’s really a fun time for all of us. Even if I could have somebody cut my hair for free—I wouldn’t change a thing.

Wifes sister works in a salon and has a setup at her home. I go there every 3 weeks or so to tighten up sides and back with a 1, then she fades the top into the sides. My hair grows fast so a week later the sides are already growing in.

She never wants to charge me but I give her 20.00.

Users who are viewing this thread