What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you let who you own in one dynasty league affect trading / drafting (1 Viewer)

jwb

Footballguy
Like many of you who frequent these forums this time of year, I'm in a few dynasty leagues (6 in all for me). And I've noticed something interesting... I'm starting to let the players I own in other leagues affect who I trade for and draft. For example:

I own Jax in three leagues. I was offered Jax for MBIII and A Gonzo (IND) in a new startup. Now this is a trade most would say I should make. But I didn't. Why didn't I? Because I already own Jax in three leagues. I don't want to own him in a fourth.
I don't own Turner in many. And am reluctant to trade him for people I own several times.
I had a chance to draft Jacobs as my RB2. I passed on it because I own him 4x. I drafted Kevin Smith instead (who I then traded for MBIII, making up for that sin.)I realize it's probably bad team management, and I have no good reason for it (one could say "if I own the same guys, then one blown knee ruins 4 teams for the year"---- but one could also say "If I own the same guys, and one blows up, then 4 teams benefit"... ) I guess I just find the hobby more fun when my teams are different.

Anyone else find themselves doing this? Or have comment (besides the obvious "Dude, U R Dumb for not taking Jax", etc) :tinfoilhat:

yeah it's tough to have different players, because you like to root for the guys on your team, and sometimes youre going to be playing the guy in one league and have him on your team in another....its obviously not an ideal strat to have a lesser team so you have similar players on all rosters, but ultimately fantasy football is meant to be fun, so if it makes the experience more enjoyable for you...then right on

I avoid this by playing in leagues with major differences in scoring rules.

Play to the rules means different players have different values.

Too many standard scoring leagues and they all tend to blend together.

Of course you do.

Multiple leagues have always had some crossover effects on owners.

This comes from you having to make determinations on players, thus setting your "stance" on them one-way-or-another.

I'm looking at the exact same thing. In my main league I own LT. The Commish of that league left the league and started another league with nearly identical rules and asked me to join (he had a falling out with some owners in the original league). So we draw for draft picks and I get the 1.1. LT or ADP? I'm leaning towards ADP since I already own LT.

This will be my 3rd league. Of my other two leagues that I was in the only two players that I had in both were KWII and Owen Daniels. And I traded KWII a few weeks ago....

The only time I let that line of thinking affect my roster is when I am choosing between two players that I rate pretty closely.

I chose A.Johnson over R.Moss in my recent initial dynasty draft because I have Moss in my existing dyansty league. I like Moss a little more, especially in the short term, but Johnson's per game scoring was crazy good last year, so I was fine going with relative youth.

The only other area that I was faced with this type of decision was at TE; I prefer to wait on TEs, so I usually do not end up with the top few guys.

I ended up with the same TEs in both leagues (Shockey and G.Olsen).

Good topic. I'm torn here. On one hand, I usually try not to own a guy in every league. While it's easier with guys like SJax, where it really ends up burning me is with sleepers I'm really high on. I've noticed that I sometimes go out of my way to acquire them in every league, and it can often burn me across the board if they don't pan out. On the other hand, one of my fears with playing in so many leagues is that if my rosters are so diverse in every league, eventually I'll simply be rooting for AND against every single player each week. If he goes off for me in one league, I'll likely be facing the same player in at least one other league. I'd hate for that to take some of the fun away each Sunday. Has anyone felt that way?

Someone above had a great point. A good way to compromise on this is to play many different styles of leagues. I play in many formats now; dynasty, auction redraft, keeper, contract leagues and now an IDP, many with very different scoring/lineup requirements. Hopefully that will help.

Last edited by a moderator:
short version "you like the guys the you like" so you go for them.. the only way to really change that up, is drastically different scoring methods...

short version "you like the guys the you like" so you go for them.. the only way to really change that up, is drastically different scoring methods...
:no: My leagues have the same scoring rules, so i try to get as many players on both teams as possible.Adds to the variance, but if you believe in certain players i think it makes sense to monopolize them.

I used to be much worse with this than I am now. Not really sure what has changed over the last 7-8 years. Maybe it's just experience. I used to hold a personal stake in my players - it was an ego thing. Now, the players on my roster are just poker chips.

I'm pretty sure it was just a difference in experience in my case.

The only time I let that line of thinking affect my roster is when I am choosing between two players that I rate pretty closely.
:shrug: This is me. I am not passing a player I like just because I already own him, unless it's like this poster just said.

I tend to do just the opposite for two reasons.

1st, I think guys naturally tend to have a lot of same players on different teams just because they like those players more than other others do (dynasty leagues in particular).

2nd, I will actively pursue guys I have in other leagues just because I prefer to root for a smaller group of guys on Sundays, rather than have a huge group of conflicted interests. I try not to go crazy getting the same guys, but for me it is a bonus rather than something to avoid if I am considering a trade or pick-up or whatever that deals with a guy I have in another league.

Certain "core guys" I love to have but when it comes to my 3rd RB or 3rd WR or or even my RB2 and WR2 I mix things up a bit. Certain players I avoid altogether. Other than the fact I am addicted to dynasty leagues I am in many because I try a few different approachs with a few of them and also I diversify and spread some risk.

I don't let other teams affect my drafting or trading though. If I love a certain player I take him.

I've gone both ways on this.

I've been burned because I wanted to diversify and took the wrong guy, and I've been burned by having the same guy on too many teams.

Now, I try not to let it affect my drafting, but I found I preferred rookies I missed in other drafts.

eventually I'll simply be rooting for AND against every single player each week.
I feel like this at times. You're hoping for your guy to get just enough points to win in one game and not enough to beat you in another. It makes Sundays interesting.

i think being in too many leagues is bad for business.... i think the max cutoff should be 3... but some people like to stay busy... personally i wouldnt want more than 2... so i only own 2 dynasty teams... and i generally own differnt players on the rosters, and some of the same players... i drafted by bpa, and if it happend to be the same guy(which is possible because you have your own personal ranking) i took him... but in one league.. i trade ADP off because i got great value for him, and in the other league, iv desided not to trade him at all, no matter what the package... so it just really depends.

Users who are viewing this thread