What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you ever take a zero w kicker or D rather than drop a player? (1 Viewer)

rider down

Footballguy
I have been lurking in these forums for 3 years and have only been playing FF for these last three years. Coming into this week I had 4 byes, and managed in advance to have 3 of four covered, but to cover my kicker I would have to drop someone off my bench. I like the players I have and do not see anyone droppable. Would you consider taking a zero at K?

Probably only if it was a kicker like Gostkowski or a D like Denver in a larger league with nobody on the wire.

One year our league changed its rules to deduct 1 point for missed field goals. So I thought I'd outsmart the league and I didn't draft a kicker. I ended up losing my first two games by a total of 4 points. The lesson? Don't mess with karma.

I do this all the time.. I look at the K as an extra bench spot for the week. There are usually plenty of kickers available for later games, and if you can hold a player through their games and drop (like Yahoo) you can use it to your advantage.

If I'm feeling good about my chances, I'll roll the dice and take the 0 at K. If I need the points I'll have more information (early games) to make the appropriate cut for room.

It's harder to this if your team is struggling and every point counts, but it's a no brainer in leagues where I'm a top team.

Probably only if it was a kicker like Gostkowski or a D like Denver in a larger league with nobody on the wire.
I'm contemplating it in one league where my week 9 schedule means Foster, Hopkins, Steve Smith, Hauschka and Seattle are all off. I have an easy drop in Fitz if Luck is playing well, but I need 5 backups to start if I want to not drop anyone else and that would mean a tough drop. I may see which Ds are available and decide. We can go negative 3 or 5 with a bad game so I'd probably find a kicker and take a zero on D. I'll also have to see who I am playing since I'll be so short handed that I might not have much of a chance anyway.

Plenty of older threads on this.

But yes, sometimes. If there's nothing in your league's rules against it, no problem.

In my IDP league it happens quite often, because we have short benches and bye week IDP fillers are a pain.

I do this all the time.. I look at the K as an extra bench spot for the week. There are usually plenty of kickers available for later games, and if you can hold a player through their games and drop (like Yahoo) you can use it to your advantage.

If I'm feeling good about my chances, I'll roll the dice and take the 0 at K. If I need the points I'll have more information (early games) to make the appropriate cut for room.

It's harder to this if your team is struggling and every point counts, but it's a no brainer in leagues where I'm a top team.
This is interesting. I dropped my kicker to grab a lottery ticket RB. I also needed a TE for the bye. In addition my QB was on bye and I had a back up, same with my WR1. Now I dont really have a player I would drop to grab a K. TY for the idea, I am going to check the game schedule against avail players.

Plenty of older threads on this.

But yes, sometimes. If there's nothing in your league's rules against it, no problem.

In my IDP league it happens quite often, because we have short benches and bye week IDP fillers are a pain.
Thanks. cool, i will search for them.

I'm considering it in one of my leagues. I have Martellus Bennett, McManus, and Denver DT/ST all on bye this week. I don't want to cut any of those. I cut some bench depth for a TE and DT for the week, which hurt as it is. I'd probably have to cut McManus to pick up a kicker though. Since I can make moves up until game time, I'm planning to see how I'm doing and can cut McManus for Sturgis if needed on Sunday night, and would then try to pick up McManus on waivers on Tuesday.

Last edited by a moderator:
I often hold prospects in my K spot and sometimes D as well during week while I work on trades. I might hold on to extra prospect into Sunday and just wait to see what happens. As an example, the week Sea played on Monday and Lynch was questionable, I held Rawls until before the Sunday night game in place of a K and would have kept him if my game seemed in hand or too far gone, but it turned out close so I had to drop him for a K before Sunday night game started. And last week I took a flier on Buck Allen. If Forsett was out, I would have dropped someone else for a K. But since he played I dropped Buck for a K at 1:15.

Our 12 year league instituted a rule against this about 8 years ago.

If you do this (start a player or DEF/ST on a bye) you are deducted -10 points for that week and an additional -5 points the following week.

Needless to say, the rule has not been broken since.

It is a bush league move IMO...got to work around it.

Instead of cutting players you do not want to, it forces you to make small deals here and there.

My leagues regular season champion is based off of points... so I will play a K every single week, as I am trying to win $$

One year our league changed its rules to deduct 1 point for missed field goals. So I thought I'd outsmart the league and I didn't draft a kicker. I ended up losing my first two games by a total of 4 points. The lesson? Don't mess with karma.
Ummm, there is a serious mathematical flaw here dude.

Not if the kicker he was going to draft was likely going to miss over 3 times more FGs than he was going to make. If that was the case, then good move.

No kidding. My league deducts two points for interceptions, but I still have a QB. That's not karma, it's basic common sense.

Yep, have definitely done it before and am somewhat regretting not doing it last week when I dropped the STL defense to get a bye week fill-in and they were grabbed off waivers.

It's especially nice to plan to take that 0 when a kicker/defense from SNF/MNF is available so you can audible and pick one up if you're down by a couple of points with the kicker/defense spot empty.

In week 4 this year, I just punted the entire week. Didn't start a Kicker, defense, or quarterback. Lost by like 100 points, but kept players I didn't want to drop and think it'll work out better in the long run.

fightingillini said:
My league levies a $5 fine for starting any player that is on bye.
same here, but pickups also cost 5 bucks. I've taken the fine plenty of times with my dynasty team in the kicker and coach spot.

I'm in a short-bench league where once this season I went without a kicker. The tricky thing about trying to play it by ear (adding one who kicks in a late game) is that you also have to have someone you're willing to drop who hasn't played yet. That makes it tough. If I add a kicker after the morning games my drop choices are the Denver defense and C-Mike.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with taking a zero to preserve the player you have rostered. If you like your starting PK or D enough to not risk losing them by dropping them, by all means take the zero. It's your team, manage it how you see fit.

"starting" Den D this week. Saw a stat on Twitter their worst finish is 8th place one week. No other D has more than three Top 10s.

League has a 4 player bench and before last weeks kickoff I had my QB/K/D all on bye Week 7. Swapped K's last week. Picked up a QB for this week to cover ARod. Will take a 0 from my D. Strong team so I'm looking at the war, not just this battle

"starting" Den D this week. Saw a stat on Twitter their worst finish is 8th place one week. No other D has more than three Top 10s.

League has a 4 player bench and before last weeks kickoff I had my QB/K/D all on bye Week 7. Swapped K's last week. Picked up a QB for this week to cover ARod. Will take a 0 from my D. Strong team so I'm looking at the war, not just this battle
My problem with Den is the GB and @Indy coming up after the bye.

Joe Summer said:
Anyone else like ...WTF?

Joe Summer said:
Anyone else like ...WTF?
Sorry after reading on I realized i'm not alone

Thinking about doing it at TE. I dropped Crosby for some guy named Lambo....K is a total crap shoot.

I'm essentially doing that by stubbornly starting the Jets D against the Pats in a league where I take negative 4 points if the Pats score over 35, instead of dropping a player from my precious short bench for a fill-in D. It helps that I'm 6-0 with a two game lead for a bye and I'm stacked at all other positions and facing one of the worst teams in the league.

If my record were something like 3-3 or 2-4 I might be handling this differently as every game would be a must win, and I wouldn't have the luxury of risking a loss to retain one of my bench stashes.

Whats the Team look like..

Are we talking any negative points for missed extra points Or extra points based on yardage?

ie. How much for a missed extra point? 50 yd kick?

Whats been your avg score for the past six weeks, and your opponents?

If worse,, Does he have any "big names" on bye?

Id take the view that ya made a good trade, but it was costly.. (goose egg this week)

Im hopin ya picked up CMike?

yah, did that in one of my leagues this year.

limited transaction and i was feeling really good that i would win by a big margin so didn't pickup a k cause mine was on bye.

ended up losing by 2 points.

never gonna do that again..

Guy in my league took a 0 for his D and lost by 6.6 points. There were six Ds on the WW that would have given him a win.
This.

Who, besides McManus and Denver mentioned in this thread, is worth holding onto for ROS to take a potential bagel in one week?

Gostowksi? Crosby? Haushcka? Brown?

CAR? GB? ARI?

I think there are one or two kickers that will indeed get you an extra 3-6 pts on average per game, but they are very few and hard between, and would rather get some points towards a W than that small of a margin with kickers.

Aside from Denver, not sure any other D provides a similar edge than justifies holding onto, given wide week to week variability due to matchups and seasonal momentum.

Guy in my league took a 0 for his D and lost by 6.6 points. There were six Ds on the WW that would have given him a win.
This.

Who, besides McManus and Denver mentioned in this thread, is worth holding onto for ROS to take a potential bagel in one week?

CAR? GB? ARI?

I think there are one or two kickers that will indeed get you an extra 3-6 pts on average per game, but they are very few and hard between, and would rather get some points towards a W than that small of a margin with kickers.

Aside from Denver, not sure any other D provides a similar edge than justifies holding onto, given wide week to week variability due to matchups and seasonal momentum.
I think he dropped his kicker to add a TE (TE on a bye)

heck maybe I need to reread the post lol

rider down said:
tone1oc said:

This is interesting. I dropped my kicker to grab a lottery ticket RB. I also needed a TE for the bye. In addition my QB was on bye and I had a back up, same with my WR1. Now I dont really have a player I would drop to grab a K. TY for the idea, I am going to check the game schedule against avail players.
Basically your trading a goose-egg for a "lottery ticket"? But ur not starting the lottery ticket

rider down said:
tone1oc said:

Basically your trading a goose-egg for a "lottery ticket"? But ur not starting the lottery ticket
Yes. I may add a kicker back in, I just do not have an obvious player to drop until after this week. To be clear I am not trying to hold on to a kicker or a defense. I appreciate the responses. After this week I can drop a TE or QB or try to trade them.

This.

CAR? GB? ARI?

My thread title is confusing in retrospect..my bad

This.

CAR? GB? ARI?

My thread title is confusing in retrospect..my bad
No worries, my misinterpretation as well.

Actually considered it this past week, but I would have done it, I would have lost instead of won....

Plus I personally think it's kind of cheesy

Actually considered it this past week, but I would have done it, I would have lost instead of won....

Plus I personally think it's kind of cheesy
Would you drop CMike too add a kicker?

We cant know if a Win will be decided by a kicker..

afaik,, CMike could be the Cowboys RB1

I think looking in hindsight, the guy looks silly dropping a Stud for a one week kicker..

The only argument, I could see being used would involve players, and perceived amt of playing..

IF a player is only used one week, he shouldn't be on your Team.

I play two QB/IDP Dynasty w/o requiring a TE, I always have at least one or two players that I hope not too have too start

There's absolutely nothing wrong with taking a zero to preserve the player you have rostered. If you like your starting PK or D enough to not risk losing them by dropping them, by all means take the zero. It's your team, manage it how you see fit.
Agree with this. Went without a D two weeks ago and won. With that said, I kept my eye on the points through the week and would have been willing to pick up a MNF Def if needed. As long as you stay diligent and on top of your options, I don't see why this is an issue.

I have McManus and DEN DEF on bye this week and only one roster spot to fill. I reached out to the Gotskowski owner, who actually carries a second kicker, and tried to trade McManus straight up, but he declined.

The General said:
this. I did it with Gostkowski. Won the game anyway. Also sort of did it with Gano in a 32 team league but that's because there literally was no kicker on the waiver wire.

I did it last week when I was ahead by 50 points after the noon games. I could have picked up an afternoon kicker if I needed. If your league doesn't require starters at all positions, then go for it. It gives another week of evaluation and is a perfectly viable strategy.

I did it last week when I was ahead by 50 points after the noon games. I could have picked up an afternoon kicker if I needed. If your league doesn't require starters at all positions, then go for it. It gives another week of evaluation and is a perfectly viable strategy.
This.

I've done it before in the past when I've owned someone like Gostkowski, and also the awesome Seahawks & Ravens DST's of the recent past. Depending on how the next two weeks go, I might do it again by opting to not drop Hauschka during his week 9 BYE; have to see how the next couple games play out to see if I'll be cool w/ dropping someone like Duke Johnson (redraft) to grab a BYE week kicker who, given my luck w/ such moves, will kick like 1 extra point. Never fails. When I drop a good/great kicker or nice bench depth, the kicker I grab sucks balls.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread