What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dining in groups (1 Viewer)

ALL condiments including but not limited to Aioli Sauces which fill the restaurant menus now so they can mask their food by adding garlic aioli like it's mayonnaise
Cajun ranch dressing, all this BS they try and spread on the bread of a lot of hot grilled sandwiches/burgers are just not needed.

I either 86 them or ask for them on the side, like you would ask for dressing on the side for your salad.
I also don't care for a lot of the seasoning they want to shake all over everything, prefer to just add salt or pepper as needed at the table.

And one of my my biggest pet peeves is when I order a burger at one of these places that wants to charge anywhere from $20 and up
They get one chance to make that burger Med-Rare and if it's anything close to Med-Well I send it back and ask them to NOT bring me a 2nd one....
I feel overcooking burgers is an immediate indicator the staff in the kitchen are not trained or skilled.
I just ask it be taken off the check and I will close out my tab on whatever drinks and I leave and I don't typically return.

I've had a couple restaurant managers hand me a gift card to return, I usually just politely ask the folks around me if they dine there frequently, if they do I just hand them the gift card and keep scooting along.

Houston's is one of my favorite spots for a burger which i don't eat often but when i do I try to find one of these places. There's other great burger joints but many of these burger joints are not good and they build their restaurant around their "incredible burgers"...I guess a lot of folks like well done hockey pucks.
The pet peeve thread is down the hall

ALL condiments including but not limited to Aioli Sauces which fill the restaurant menus now so they can mask their food by adding garlic aioli like it's mayonnaise
Cajun ranch dressing, all this BS they try and spread on the bread of a lot of hot grilled sandwiches/burgers are just not needed.

I either 86 them or ask for them on the side, like you would ask for dressing on the side for your salad.
I also don't care for a lot of the seasoning they want to shake all over everything, prefer to just add salt or pepper as needed at the table.

And one of my my biggest pet peeves is when I order a burger at one of these places that wants to charge anywhere from $20 and up
They get one chance to make that burger Med-Rare and if it's anything close to Med-Well I send it back and ask them to NOT bring me a 2nd one....
I feel overcooking burgers is an immediate indicator the staff in the kitchen are not trained or skilled.
I just ask it be taken off the check and I will close out my tab on whatever drinks and I leave and I don't typically return.

I've had a couple restaurant managers hand me a gift card to return, I usually just politely ask the folks around me if they dine there frequently, if they do I just hand them the gift card and keep scooting along.

Houston's is one of my favorite spots for a burger which i don't eat often but when i do I try to find one of these places. There's other great burger joints but many of these burger joints are not good and they build their restaurant around their "incredible burgers"...I guess a lot of folks like well done hockey pucks.
To be fair, this kind of has become the "restaurant pet peeve" thread. Along with the one about restaurant prices. We really get worked up about our restaurants on this board. :laugh:

So to piggyback on @Terminalxylem OP

-MoP don't eat out in groups...even my Mother-In-Law I won't eat out with her and she's the last living parent for both of my wife and I
Embarrassed too many times from M-I-L crying about the prices of the food(even though I pay) to having to coordinate our meals so certain people can try 2 or 3 dishes that THEY WANT
Never mind what you planned on eating that day. Groups of people trying to eat at one time or one place just SUCKS!

I hate being trapped or feeling trapped at a restaurant. When I'm done eating and finishing my meal, I typically don't order dessert and want to get the **** out of there.
From the fake pleasantries with the staff that is doing you a favor just by showing up and taking your order to all the hoops you gotta jump thru now, **** it

Is that a little more MoP authentic for you?

Groups of people trying to eat at one time or one place just SUCKS!
i think this can be applicable to anything. Groups of people just suck. The bigger the group the more it sucks. Going to an amusement park with more than 2-4 people sucks. Going on vacation with more than 4-6 people sucks (and that may be too many). You just get too many differing opinions where someone will always get their feelings hurt and be a drag on the rest of the group.

People just suck. I think that is the lesson to be learned..haha

I love these. makes sandwiches and burgers much more interesting imo.

If i am at a decent restaurant, i expect them to hit their temps. If the burgers are generally thin, or it is not mid-tier or lower restaurant, i do not have those expectation and prefer they do not even ask for my preference.

Last edited:

If i am at a decent restaurant, i expect them to hit their temps. If the burgers are generally thin, or it is not mid-tier or lower restaurant, i do not have those expectation and prefer they do not even ask for my preference.
I don't eat at the thin burger joints, sorry
And I know what you mean, but if I can't have a med-rare or something that would allow for a med-rare then i typically don't eat there.

And I know what you mean, but if I can't have a med-rare or something that would allow for a med-rare then i typically don't eat there.
Man...smashburgers are soooo good. And I am an on the rare side of medium rare guy.

i understand. my appetite is down these days and i rarely order burgers when i go out. most places i go have good burgers, but occasionally i have been in mid-tier places (like diners) that have "thinner" patties.

example of type of burgers i'll order.

local gastro pub... very good burger:
  • WINE COUNTRY COWGIRL BURGER​

$20​

Cowgirl Creamery Mt. Tam Triple Cream Cheese, Roasted Garlic, Bacon Onion Jam, Arugula, Balsamic Reduction

my preference is mid-rare for steaks, med for burgers

Does anyone go out to dinner to have a good time and relax, or is it always an uncomfortable combination of Succession, War of the Roses, and Seinfeld?
We do.
Just had a great night out with 6 other friends. Was a blast.
Getting ready for a meal with FIL, his fast tracked bride, son, and family.

Expecting I’ll be biting my tongue more than the food.
Her family? :oldunsure: at a restaurant? :oldunsure:

There’s nothing more relaxing than being told to relax. :zzz:

It’s right up there with an unsolicited “be careful”, after you’ve almost been run over by a bus.

Does anyone go out to dinner to have a good time and relax, or is it always an uncomfortable combination of Succession, War of the Roses, and Seinfeld?
We do.

Yep. First time we’ll meet with her as his blushing bride, second overall. Never met any of her family, though I know her son is a “rich businessman” (her words).

We do.

Yep. First time we’ll meet with her as his blushing bride, second overall. Never met any of her family, though I know her son is a “rich businessman” (her words).
Stack everything!

I like making it contingent on rapidity of ordering and/or finishing eating: slowest pays. There needs to be a monetary penalty for all that relaxing.

This is good schtick. Would love to see you share a meal with some of my friends in Europe.
Every meal with my wife and FIL has a European sense of urgency.
Speaking of which, when I was on a business trip to Munich five years ago, they took forever to come back to the table to settle the check. At every spot. We could have walked out without paying and no one would have noticed.

I don't understand any of this. My friends and I either try to sneak a card to the server to pay the tab or we pay credit card roulette.
You don't understand splitting a bill?
Of course he does. But when we were a newly married couple, my dad paid for our meals out. The only way Mr R could pay was by subterfuge. The look on Dad's face when he tried to give the server his card and she said it was already paid for was priceless. I saw him pay. Dad was clueless. Good times.

I was thinking about this thread when I went out to eat with my wife last night (she wanted to go out rather than make something and was the one paying). I got one of the specials and didn't look at the price (paired with tap water). My wife got a couple of glasses of wine, an appetizer, and an entree. Tax and tip came to north of $100.00. My entree was a few dollars more than hers, but if we broke down the bill, she accounted for two-thirds to my one-third. She didn't really want to spend over $100 on dinner and got all uppity about how much I spent on my entree. I mentioned I didn't realize it cost that much (basically $4-5 more than other entrees) and said if it was too much money, then I would gladly pay for myself. That didn't really go over well, and I was essentially told to quit buying the most expensive thing on the menu. (For the record, I got something mid-range for pricing.) My comeback was that if "we" didn't want to spend that much going out for dinner, then maybe "we" should have picked a different restaurant.
Why are you having this debate with your spouse? Isn’t it all both of your money, in the end?
Mr R parsed this out. He says she didn't want to pay that much, so she is deflecting onto Anarchy.

I just thought she couldn't do math in her head.

We do.

We'll be needing an after action report, then.

We do.

We'll be needing an after action report, then.
We picked up FIL and step-mom at 12:45, for lunch at 1. Her son texts they’ll be a little late, and already I’m gearing up to be annoyed. Fortunately he and his family arrived about 1:15, so nothing egregious.

He’s wearing a climbing shirt, and one of his daughters was too, from my climbing gym. I immediately like them. (For @the moops, the eldest daughter boulders up to V9, sport 5.13b, at age 14)

Moreover, his wife works in a hospital, and he wrestled in high school, in the exact same weight classes as me. So we had plenty to talk about.

Most importantly, he didn’t know his mom was remarried until three days ago. If he hadn’t planned to visit her, no telling when he would’ve found out.

Oh yeah, step-mom seemed OK, though tbh, I was enjoying getting to know her son and family, and she was at the far end of the table, so we interacted little. FIL still seems honeymoon happy.

So all in all, much better than expected.

And the meal lasted over 2 hours. Minimal indecision. No menu substitutions, or stacking.

Last edited:
I don't understand any of this. My friends and I either try to sneak a card to the server to pay the tab or we pay credit card roulette.
You don't understand splitting a bill?
Of course he does. But when we were a newly married couple, my dad paid for our meals out. The only way Mr R could pay was by subterfuge. The look on Dad's face when he tried to give the server his card and she said it was already paid for was priceless. I saw him pay. Dad was clueless. Good times.
Yep, that’s the old school way.

I like trying to pay bills in those situations, though it can quickly escalate from cc quick draw, to earlier and earlier “bathroom” breaks, to leaving a card when the reservation is made. I really wish people could just relax :hophead:

Even though it wastes time, I kinda enjoy the awkwardness of campaigning for the server to choose my card from multiple options. “They’re visiting from out-of-town, and are terrible tippers”, whether true or not, usually works.

If there are multiple empty plates, I occasionally stack them as well. I may be wrong, but I believe this helps the server, while decluttering the table
I always do this
Yeah, I think it’s the right thing to do, but sometimes wonder if the waitstaff prefers stacking plates/utensils in a specific way.

Related, I don’t like unnecessary removal of unused, or even lightly used flatware. Also try to reuse plates when I (rarely) go to buffets.
in general, the server would prefer you not to stack the plates.

a bullet point for fine dining service: anything that is not being used should be removed from the table ASAP.
Fair enough. What about moving plates/used silverware to a unused area of the table, within server’s reach, but out of the way of those still eating?

What about stacking empty plates on a neighboring table if it's a four-top and only two are dining there?

Yes, I read about that on another forum and thought it was tacky. Super tacky.

My wife took me out to a restaurant for my birthday--great food, they had a Michelin star etc. She took the bill and told me they had a 4% surcharge, included 20% service charge, and had a line for additional tip. There was also a note saying that the entire 20% SC was for back of the house staff and the additional tip was for front house. Completely obnoxious IMO. I politely suggested that she $0 out the AT line because if they can't figure out how to pay their staff with 24%, they are in the wrong business. My wife added 10%. :bag:

My wife took me out to a restaurant for my birthday--great food, they had a Michelin star etc. She took the bill and told me they had a 4% surcharge, included 20% service charge, and had a line for additional tip. There was also a note saying that the entire 20% SC was for back of the house staff and the additional tip was for front house. Completely obnoxious IMO. I politely suggested that she $0 out the AT line because if they can't figure out how to pay their staff with 24%, they are in the wrong business. My wife added 10%. :bag:
That's absolutely unreal. A Michelin star restaurant has a well trained (presumably) well paid kitchen staff. That should be part of their default food cost, independent of front of house tip.

Insanity

Graduated in 1988. Went to work in Houston for a large gas transportation company.

Many a nights any where from 6-8 of us single guys would go out on the town. Go to 3/4 different places. One of use would open a tab. End of the night we'd all settle up w/ cash or a "I'll get them next time".

Compare and contrast to every Friday 10/12 of us guys and GIRLS would go out for lunch.

Bill would come and everyone would chip in cash..................and we were ALWAYS SHORT.

Then we'd have to go through the receipt:

"ok who had fajitas w/ sour cream, guac, and cheese. Those extras were $ each"
"who ordered the queso?"
"did you leave a tip?"
"did you remember tax?"
"this place charges for EACH Coke, so who ever had 4...."
"who ordered the desert to go"

95% of the time it was a (more than one) woman. I'm not being sexist, but this was my experience.

BUT I did have a co worker (ened up getting fired because he was an idiot) who no matter where we went for a "working dnner", he would always order a to go desert for himself AND dinner for his wife. I'm like WTF?

If there are multiple empty plates, I occasionally stack them as well. I may be wrong, but I believe this helps the server, while decluttering the table
I always do this
Yeah, I think it’s the right thing to do, but sometimes wonder if the waitstaff prefers stacking plates/utensils in a specific way.

Related, I don’t like unnecessary removal of unused, or even lightly used flatware. Also try to reuse plates when I (rarely) go to buffets.
in general, the server would prefer you not to stack the plates.

a bullet point for fine dining service: anything that is not being used should be removed from the table ASAP.
Fair enough. What about moving plates/used silverware to a unused area of the table, within server’s reach, but out of the way of those still eating?

What about stacking empty plates on a neighboring table if it's a four-top and only two are dining there?

Yes, I read about that on another forum and thought it was tacky. Super tacky.
Awful

That’s simply a straight up money grab.

BUT I did have a co worker (ened up getting fired because he was an idiot) who no matter where we went for a "working dnner", he would always order a to go desert for himself AND dinner for his wife. I'm like WTF?
At my current job the first time I met a coworker was at a business lunch. Besides the fact he was wearing shorts, I thought it was really odd he was ordering a to go dessert and meal at the end.

He does not work with us anymore. Apparently was a regular practice.

At my current job the first time I met a coworker was at a business lunch. Besides the fact he was wearing shorts, I thought it was really odd he was ordering a to go dessert and meal at the end.

He does not work with us anymore. Apparently was a regular practice.

That's a good example of how little things often indicate bigger things.

Graduated in 1988. Went to work in Houston for a large gas transportation company.

Many a nights any where from 6-8 of us single guys would go out on the town. Go to 3/4 different places. One of use would open a tab. End of the night we'd all settle up w/ cash or a "I'll get them next time".

Compare and contrast to every Friday 10/12 of us guys and GIRLS would go out for lunch.

Bill would come and everyone would chip in cash..................and we were ALWAYS SHORT.

Then we'd have to go through the receipt:

"ok who had fajitas w/ sour cream, guac, and cheese. Those extras were $ each"
"who ordered the queso?"
"did you leave a tip?"
"did you remember tax?"
"this place charges for EACH Coke, so who ever had 4...."
"who ordered the desert to go"

95% of the time it was a (more than one) woman. I'm not being sexist, but this was my experience.

Been in this scenario many times, but different result. Men and/or women, usually too much cash is thrown in the pot.

Maybe. Personally, I don’t enjoy going out with people who are cheap and/or uptight about money.

Or bad at math.
But going out with people that want to make sure they pay their share so pay a bit more are the kind of people I want to hang out with. Typically if there is more cash than needed it means everyone paid their fair share and then some.

I have never been a in a situation where the person collecting the cash for the bill gets more than needed where it becomes a problem. In those cases they try and give money back and nobody every takes it. Ends up a bigger tip for the waitstaff.

Users who are viewing this thread