What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Digital Camera pic of the day (1 Viewer)

Been posting a lot of new stuff to Flickr lately.

I took a while off. Not really intentionally. I wasn't having fun shooting photos anymore. Organizing and editing was turning into work. Shooting was a chore because I got tired of lugging my DSLR everywhere. I got tired of wanting new lenses. Tired of seeing stuff I wanted to shoot and not having the patience anymore to shoot it. 

I decided I wanted to try something different, to simplify a bit. I looked into fixed-lens point and shoots and after much deliberation, got myself a Ricoh GRII. Best thing I could have done. Turns out having a camera I could carry with me all the time brought my eyes back to life. The wide angle takes some getting used to, but I'm getting used to it. And I've stopped worrying about editing (I spend maybe 2 or 3 minutes on a photo now). Anyway, it's good to be back and enjoying photography again.

I highly recommend the camera, btw. Really confirms the glowing reviews I read.

Been posting a lot of new stuff to Flickr lately.

I took a while off. Not really intentionally. I wasn't having fun shooting photos anymore. Organizing and editing was turning into work. Shooting was a chore because I got tired of lugging my DSLR everywhere. I got tired of wanting new lenses. Tired of seeing stuff I wanted to shoot and not having the patience anymore to shoot it. 

I decided I wanted to try something different, to simplify a bit. I looked into fixed-lens point and shoots and after much deliberation, got myself a Ricoh GRII. Best thing I could have done. Turns out having a camera I could carry with me all the time brought my eyes back to life. The wide angle takes some getting used to, but I'm getting used to it. And I've stopped worrying about editing (I spend maybe 2 or 3 minutes on a photo now). Anyway, it's good to be back and enjoying photography again.

I highly recommend the camera, btw. Really confirms the glowing reviews I read.
Did you happen to look at the Fuji Mirror-less X-T line?  I'm getting tired of lugging 25 lbs of DSLR equipment on my shoulder everywhere I go too.

The Fuji X-T models are what have been highly recommended to me by a handful of local professional photogs.  I'm just curious if you looked at them and had an opinion.

btw......The UFO wall art image on your page is really great!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you happen to look at the Fuji Mirror-less X-T line?  I'm getting tired of lugging 25 lbs of DSLR equipment on my shoulder everywhere I go too.

The Fuji X-T models are what have been highly recommended to me by a handful of local professional photogs.  I'm just curious if you looked at them and had an opinion.

btw......The UFO wall art image on your page is really great!
My search actually began when I started looking at the X series. Somewhere along the line, I decided I didn't want to deal with lenses, and a fixed-lens compact became the goal. The X100T was the initial frontrunner. But the more I read, the more I kept seeing the name Ricoh GRII come up. I'd never heard of it. But since they were roughly $600 cheaper than the X100, I narrowed it down to the GRII and Fuji X70 (although getting over the lack of viewfinder was a hurdle—I don't miss it as much as I thought I would).

In the end, I opted for the GRII, but it was close. Here's a good, comprehensive review.

The smaller size and inconspicuous look sold it for me. And I watched this video of Daido Moriyama and I was like "Yes, that's what I want to do." I read about dust concerns (which I was very wary of, after having so many issues with my D600), but I haven't had any problems there and it seems it was more the GR than the GRII on that. It's not a perfect camera, but it's perfect for what I want it to do, and I've been shooting a ton lately. NO RAGRETS

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!

Curious to see people's opinion.

Which makes for a better picture?

The first one I posted?     or this one?

I think the first is a bit more dramatic but the second one seems to have more of a story to it. I thought they make an interesting comparison.
The first one, imo, creates a more 3d viewing experience, while the grid fence in the 2nd seems to push it into a more 2d viewing experience. Now, that in itself, when the 2 are viewed side to side does make an interesting comparison. When I find something like this in my own work, I may frame the two together in a double frame...or, if you don't have a double frame, they can just be displayed side by side.

Also, I agree with you that the first one is more dramatic. For one, it has to do with the "more 3d effect"....which, imo, is created by the "cornered perspective" that you took in regards to the mini orchard. That really sets the eye up for the dramatic sky overhead and the rising slope to the mansion. 

The second one, while good for conveying a story with the fence, suffers graphically from the "flattening effect" that the grid fence creates....which carries over onto the entire visual field. I am not critical of it, because you obviously are going for a "story point" here, but graphically, it is the inferior "visual" by a significant margin.

However, as I said in the 1st paragraph, this juxtaposition can be highlighted for a nice creative effect...bringing out the best in both shots.

All of this is my humble opinion of course.

Thanks for your insight MoCS! Very interesting thoughts on the differences.

I've been reading up on composition and I thought the 2 pics make for an interesting comparison of styles. Are there any websites that offer critical evaluation of photos? Too often the great shots are shown when discussing composition but I'd like to read more that show how less than ideal photos can be improved with minor adjustments.

Thanks for your insight MoCS! Very interesting thoughts on the differences.

I've been reading up on composition and I thought the 2 pics make for an interesting comparison of styles. Are there any websites that offer critical evaluation of photos? Too often the great shots are shown when discussing composition but I'd like to read more that show how less than ideal photos can be improved with minor adjustments.
You are very welcome, jamny! :)

When I learned my (admittedly limited) craft of photography, I was not online, thus, I am afraid that I have no websites to offer. 

I leaned my methods from various art classes, books and local mentors. Therefore, the only one of the three that I can recommend to you, is the books that really helped me:

Bryan Peterson has a very nice collection of books that cover a very wide range of photography aspects.

I would recommend, Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera first...and then proceed as you desire.

Sorry, I wish I could be more helpful, but most of my learning came from other sources than the web.

You are very welcome, jamny! :)

When I learned my (admittedly limited) craft of photography, I was not online, thus, I am afraid that I have no websites to offer. 

I leaned my methods from various art classes, books and local mentors. Therefore, the only one of the three that I can recommend to you, is the books that really helped me:

Bryan Peterson has a very nice collection of books that cover a very wide range of photography aspects.

I would recommend, Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera first...and then proceed as you desire.

Sorry, I wish I could be more helpful, but most of my learning came from other sources than the web.
I have that one...great book!

Thanks!

Curious to see people's opinion.

Which makes for a better picture?

The first one I posted?     or this one?

I think the first is a bit more dramatic but the second one seems to have more of a story to it. I thought they make an interesting comparison.
first one is way better IMO.  2nd one has a prison vibe to it - I don't like it much.   I really like the composition of the first picture.  I'd try playing with B&W and/or bumping up the contrast of it.   The colors are really muted based on that time of day - I'm curious how it would look if you removed all color or amped up some of the blues.  Right now, the eyes are drawn to greens in the vineyard and the hotel is not the focal point of the picture.  

I know this is the "Picture" thread but....  I couldn't help but share some Drone Footage I shot this past week on my last trip to Canada for 2017.. I promise Photos will follow but...

Enjoy the Sunrise!!   :)

Users who are viewing this thread