What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Did New England LOSE on purpose to prevent PITTSBURGH from making the (1 Viewer)

Did New England LOSE on purpose to prevent PITTSBURGH from making the playoffs ?

• Total voters
Easy to say that AFTER the Ravens game. The arrow was pointing up on Pittsburgh before that game. Not a team anyone wanted to face in the playoffs.
I said it last week, BEFORE the Ravens game. I never bought into the narrative that the Steelers were this scary team that everyone should be scared of. If you did, that is fine, but it's just a narrative, not reality.
Actually, it's reality. They're the only team in the AFC that has the firepower to score with the Patriots when healthy. That certainly doesn't mean the Patriots would throw a game to prevent them from making it. That's nuts.

It'd depend what team shows up. The offense that scored 67 points in back to back road wins versus Cincinatti and Denver, or the team that stunk against the Ravens. Of course, that's the problem with the 2015 Steelers... too many big letdowns by the defense and too many poor coaching decisions.

IF the Bills win and the Steelers make it in as the 6 seed, I'll like their chances against anyone they face in round one. So, we still have a chance at seeing the Pats/Steelers in the playoffs. Not a good chance, but a chance.
When did Pittsburgh play at Denver this season? :confused:
My mistake, mis-spoke.

But the point remains the same. The offense had really been clicking before this dud.... 30 in Seattle, 45 against Indy, 33 in Cincy, and 34 against Denver. Maybe it shouldn't be completely unexpected that the Ravens played them tough, but few did. The Steelers played flat and didn't impose their will, and they're now needing help just to get in... help the Patriots didn't give them unfortunately. Again, I don't believe at all that the Pats threw the game.

I think the Steelers would be favored against any other team in the AFC playoffs other than the Patriots.

Fact is, if they can hang with a healthy Pats team in week 1 without 2 of their biggest offensive weapons, they should be able to give them a really good game with one of those weapons back, because I don't think either team would have an easy time stopping the other. I'd expect both teams to be in the 30's..... but a lot has to happen to even get there.
First off, I don't put a lot of stock in who would be favored, since the Vegas odds are always based on who the public likes, and the public always love offense (see: Broncos being a slight favorite over Seattle two years ago).

Second, did they really hang with the Patriots in week 1? As an Antonio Brown owner, that TD with two seconds nice was great ;) , but the Patriots took a double digit lead with four minutes left in the 2nd quarter and led by double digits for the rest of the game except for a brief spell early in the 4th and the last two seconds. The Steelers were never in a position where you thought they would win. Having Bryant might have helped, but enough to make a big difference? I don't buy it. Not having Bell and having DeAngelo is not as big a drop-off as many thought it would be.

Of course they were trying to lose. I mean, why on Earth would any team want home field advantage?
Because they would inevitably have to play the Pittsburgh 'other good offense in the afc' Steelers?And because the fins are magnitudes worse than the jets?

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course they were trying to lose. I mean, why on Earth would any team want home field advantage?
Because they would inevitably have to play the Pittsburgh 'other good offense in the afc' Steelers?And because the fins are magnitudes worse than the jets?
Sounds incredibly stupid and made up by a child's mind.

That awesome Steelers team who can't beat Baltimore at home scares New England enough to give up home field advantage so that they decrease the chances they don't make the playoffs.

I would agree BB would do ANYTHING to improve his chances of winning, but there is no logic behind tanking to the Jets, nor any guarantee of any playoff matchups.

Did BB also tell the ref to make a terrible PI call on 3rd down in overtime? Wow this BB is really pulling out all the stops isn't he.

Good god.

If Cincy won last night I think they got the bye
The Pats have a bye. The thing still at stake is HFA. Anyone who thinks they intentionally endangered that to avoid possibly playing the Steelers needs to stop huffing paint.
The BYE was locked up, the Dolphins game is the equivalent of a BYE, they risked nothing by allowing the Jets to win and the chance to face them again at home in the playoffs

instead of what was a red hot Steelers team, until Sunday, that is.
Yeah, those Steelers sure are scary on the road this year. :lol: :lol:
Easy to say that AFTER the Ravens game. The arrow was pointing up on Pittsburgh before that game. Not a team anyone wanted to face in the playoffs.
Pretty such Bellichek doesn't feel that way...ever...about anyone.
Especially a Steelers team that lost TWICE to the worst Baltimore team in years, including to their 47th QB, one Mallett.

Ha. This whole premise is laughable.

Sounds incredibly stupid and made up by a child's mind.

That awesome Steelers team who can't beat Baltimore at home scares New England enough to give up home field advantage so that they decrease the chances they don't make the playoffs.

I would agree BB would do ANYTHING to improve his chances of winning, but there is no logic behind tanking to the Jets, nor any guarantee of any playoff matchups.

Did BB also tell the ref to make a terrible PI call on 3rd down in overtime? Wow this BB is really pulling out all the stops isn't he.

Good god.
The PI call was near the end of the 4th quarter not in OT. People answering yes to this poll suffer from Patriots Derangement Syndrome.

I said it last week, BEFORE the Ravens game. I never bought into the narrative that the Steelers were this scary team that everyone should be scared of. If you did, that is fine, but it's just a narrative, not reality.
Actually, it's reality. They're the only team in the AFC that has the firepower to score with the Patriots when healthy. That certainly doesn't mean the Patriots would throw a game to prevent them from making it. That's nuts.

It'd depend what team shows up. The offense that scored 67 points in back to back road wins versus Cincinatti and Denver, or the team that stunk against the Ravens. Of course, that's the problem with the 2015 Steelers... too many big letdowns by the defense and too many poor coaching decisions.

IF the Bills win and the Steelers make it in as the 6 seed, I'll like their chances against anyone they face in round one. So, we still have a chance at seeing the Pats/Steelers in the playoffs. Not a good chance, but a chance.
When did Pittsburgh play at Denver this season? :confused:
My mistake, mis-spoke.

But the point remains the same. The offense had really been clicking before this dud.... 30 in Seattle, 45 against Indy, 33 in Cincy, and 34 against Denver. Maybe it shouldn't be completely unexpected that the Ravens played them tough, but few did. The Steelers played flat and didn't impose their will, and they're now needing help just to get in... help the Patriots didn't give them unfortunately. Again, I don't believe at all that the Pats threw the game.

I think the Steelers would be favored against any other team in the AFC playoffs other than the Patriots.

Fact is, if they can hang with a healthy Pats team in week 1 without 2 of their biggest offensive weapons, they should be able to give them a really good game with one of those weapons back, because I don't think either team would have an easy time stopping the other. I'd expect both teams to be in the 30's..... but a lot has to happen to even get there.
First off, I don't put a lot of stock in who would be favored, since the Vegas odds are always based on who the public likes, and the public always love offense (see: Broncos being a slight favorite over Seattle two years ago).

Second, did they really hang with the Patriots in week 1? As an Antonio Brown owner, that TD with two seconds nice was great ;) , but the Patriots took a double digit lead with four minutes left in the 2nd quarter and led by double digits for the rest of the game except for a brief spell early in the 4th and the last two seconds. The Steelers were never in a position where you thought they would win. Having Bryant might have helped, but enough to make a big difference? I don't buy it. Not having Bell and having DeAngelo is not as big a drop-off as many thought it would be.
The Patriots took a lead as you'd expect them to playing at home in a season opener, and the Steelers battled back through the third and early fourth quarters. It was a 7 point game in the middle of the 4th quarter, so yes, I'd say the game could've gone a lot of different ways. The Steelers were playing defense with a bunch of new, young guys under a coordinator calling his first game... granted, they've only showed flashes of improvement this year, but the defense is playing better now than it was then. Which isn't saying THAT much.

And while Deangelo turned out to be great this year, he's STILL not nearly the threat out of the backfield that Bell would've been. That was a huge piece of the Steelers' offense that was missing (and still would be). But Deangelo is far more involved now in the passing game than he was then, and Bryant was a massive missing piece at that point. It's another option going deep and in the red zone, and it allows Wheaton to play the 3rd WR role. It's a huge upgrade to 2 different WR positions and takes some pressure off Brown.

I'm not saying the Steelers should've beaten the Pats that night given the missing players, would've beaten the Pats that night if they were there, or would beat them in the playoffs. Who knows about that stuff. But I'm saying it should be one helluva game if they do, and I don't feel that way about any other teams in the AFC playoffs.

Pats should be hoping they could face the Steelers, not avoiding them.

Of all the secondaries Brady could possibly face in the post season the Steelers are, by a large margin, the least talented and least disciplined. Throw in that they have squat for OLBs to provide any type of pressure and they are basically the perfect opponent for Brady to dismantle.

Add in a Steelers HC/OC combo that is a liability and theres just no way BB is hoping to avoid them.

This from a Steeler fan.

They move the ball just fine when healthy against any defense. They've always struggled against a high powered offense.

This is the most ridiculous poll I have seen on here

anyone suggesting this needs their heads examined

The most simple reason thisis ridiculous is the Pats do not have home field throughout the playoff yet

<sarcasm>

Remember

if the Pats get home field they can manipulate the communications and bug the locker room and use all their sneaky patriots tricks to help them win!!!!

</sarcasm>

There's no way they risk that for any team. There are a lot of other reasons this is ridiculous on its face, but there's the big one. There is no way the Pats want to risk playing a mile high in Denver rather than at home for a chance at a trip to the super bowl.

No chance the Pats threw that game. Just a crazy conspiracy theory.

As things stand today though these are the QBs in the AFC and they would have to travel to New England:

Brock Osweiler

AJ McCarron

Brandon Weeden

Ryan Fitzpatrick
Alex Smith

Ben or Luck could still get into the playoffs and the Patriots could still fall to the 2 seed and have to travel, but this has the possibility of being just about the easiest path to the superbowl that a team could hope for. And New England has already had a really easy regular season schedule.

I think the Ravens intentionally won so Pittsburgh wouldn't make the playoffs.
All of last week's "upsets" were divisional games... Atlanta over Carolina, wins by the Ravens, Jets, Rams, etc.

Shocked by the Ravens win as I thought the Steelers would be a play-off force after coming through an injury riddled season. They (like Seattle) would be a tough wild-card match-up for any team in the league. I guess its still possible (Oakland @ KC? with the Raiders trying to get to .500?) but Pittsburgh can only blame themselves for letting this opportunity slip away.

Now, if the Raiders up-end the Chiefs and the Brownies knock off the Steelers again.... that would be Dolphinesque.

I hate the Patriots as much as the next person, but this thread makes me think of one of my favorite A Christmas Story quotes:

"You used up all the glue! On purpose!"

In other words, no. No, they didn't. That's crazy.

Pittsburgh wants to make the playoffs, just don't get swept by a team that's 3-10 vs. everyone other than the Steelers

The only reason I started this thread is the groundswell of support for this conspiracy from listening to Boston Sports Talk radio the past couple of days.

86% no 13% yes

Casting Couch said:
The only reason I started this thread is the groundswell of support for this conspiracy from listening to Boston Sports Talk radio the past couple of days.

86% no 13% yes
Really? I hadn't been listening, but I know people had been celebrating the silver lining, that they probably will roll the fins and hopefully the Jets will knock off the Steelers.

I know the Steelers offense is potent, but I am really not that sure the Pats would rather face the Jets. The Jets played them tough all season.

I know the Steelers offense is potent, but I am really not that sure the Pats would rather face the Jets. The Jets played them tough all season.
And when the Pats were healthy they moved the ball just fine. Id rather face Fitzpatrick and Marshall then Roethlisberger and Brown/Bryant.

And when the Pats were healthy they moved the ball just fine. Id rather face Fitzpatrick and Marshall then Roethlisberger and Brown/Bryant.
when the pats were healthy they only beat the Jets by 7.

:shrug:

I agree that steelers offense is dynamic, but as the steelers know, sometimes playing a division foe is not an easy game even when it is on paper. I think the steelers are more scary on paper, but I don;t know how many teams relish the thought of playing a division rival for a third time.

At very least I think the Jets have an argument here.

Looked at the current play-off picture and hadn't realized just how tight the Colts/Texans were. This is what Indy needs to make the play-offs

REMAINING OPPONENTS: vs. Titans (3-12)

CLINCHING SCENARIOS:
Indianapolis clinches AFC South division with:
1. IND win + HOU loss + IND ties HOU in strength of victory tiebreaker and clinches strength of schedule tiebreaker over HOU

Note: IND ties HOU in strength of victory tiebreaker and clinches strength of schedule tiebreaker over HOU if BOTH of the following occurs:
1. all of the following teams win: ATL, BAL, BUF, DEN, MIA
2. OAK win or tie + PIT win or tie as long as both teams don't tie

If Houston and Indianapolis end up tied in strength of victory and tied in strength of schedule, the teams would then go to the next tiebreaker, which is best combined ranking among AFC teams in points scored and points allowed in all games.

Don't believe the conspiracy theory for a second, but about 10 years ago there was a vaguely similar scenario. It was far less nefarious, and possibly even understandable, although I never heard any evidence that it was actually true.

In 2006, Denver closed out the season as heavy favorites vs SF. As long as they didn't lose the game, they were in the playoffs. The Niners took them to OT, but instead of trying to run down the clock and play for the tie, Shanahan went for the win, and SF had time to drive down for a game-winning FG. In the game recap, Shanahan claimed he wanted to send his team a message and not back into the postseason, but there was speculation that his real motivation was trying to pick his opponent: If the Broncos won, they'd have faced NE, against whom he had traditionally done very well (and had beaten the previous year). If they tied, he'd face Peyton and the Colts, who had knocked them out of the playoffs two of the past three years.

The only team that should be scared of the Steelers in the playoffs is the team that is 2-3 since Thanksgiving with the one win coming off the Titans (ie, worst team in the NFL). Does this sound familiar Pats fans??... Yeah - so let's start talking about "reality". THAT is some powerful juice you are drinking. With consecutive wins before Thanksgiving against the likes of the Bills, Giants, Redskins and Dolphins... the Pats look like paper lions.

It would be a bad strategy. IMO, the Jets are a more complete team than Steelers right now and are a team I am sure no one wants to face.

gradin123 said:
It would be a bad strategy. IMO, the Jets are a more complete team than Steelers right now and are a team I am sure no one wants to face.
Yeah I'm a Steelers fan and I have to agree. People talk about the greatness of the Steelers offense but the Jets also have a ton of talent on offense. They also have a solid defense. Add in the whole division rivalry thing and they're a very scary team for the Pats.

The only team that should be scared of the Steelers in the playoffs is the team that is 2-3 since Thanksgiving with the one win coming off the Titans (ie, worst team in the NFL). Does this sound familiar Pats fans??... Yeah - so let's start talking about "reality". THAT is some powerful juice you are drinking. With consecutive wins before Thanksgiving against the likes of the Bills, Giants, Redskins and Dolphins... the Pats look like paper lions.
Paper Lions who are still the best team in the AFC and yet it took two other playoff teams overtime and a slew of injuries to beat them. Do you really see the Jets, Chiefs, Broncos, Bengals, or Steelers beating a healthy Patriots team at home in the playoffs? :lmao: This is essentially the same team that won the Super Bowl last year, minus Revis. Call them paper lions all you want but I don't see Brock, AJ McCarron, Alex Smith or Ryan Fitzpatrick coming into Foxboro in January and leading their team to a win.

Belicheck and Brady don't seem the type that want to lose ever! This patriot team is a very different team with Edelmen in the lineup. Throw in Amendola as well and they will be tough to beat in the AFC.

Paper Lions who are still the best team in the AFC and yet it took two other playoff teams overtime and a slew of injuries to beat them. Do you really see the Jets, Chiefs, Broncos, Bengals, or Steelers beating a healthy Patriots team at home in the playoffs? :lmao: This is essentially the same team that won the Super Bowl last year, minus Revis. Call them paper lions all you want but I don't see Brock, AJ McCarron, Alex Smith or Ryan Fitzpatrick coming into Foxboro in January and leading their team to a win.
I think you might want to take a good look at the Pats offensive line compared to last years. Even if Edelman comes back he won't be 100%. I think the Pats have about a 50/50 shot at getting to the SB assuming we have home field advantage and about a 40% chance at winning it at best depending on matchup. This team is decimated with injuries, last year we were healthy.

I think you might want to take a good look at the Pats offensive line compared to last years. Even if Edelman comes back he won't be 100%. I think the Pats have about a 50/50 shot at getting to the SB assuming we have home field advantage and about a 40% chance at winning it at best depending on matchup. This team is decimated with injuries, last year we were healthy.
I like 3 teams in the NFC more than any team in the AFC. So I'd put NE's chances of advancing to Super Bowl higher and chances of winning it a lot lower.

AFC is just super weak this year IMO which is why this thread exists because even a weak defensive and inconsistent team like the Steelers would be viewed as a major threat.

Do I think NE tried to lose on purpose? I actually thought about that before the game last week, not so much in terms of NE trying to lose but in terms of them benefiting more from a loss than a win in terms of knocking out the Steelers and how that might relate to them playing banged up players like Amendola. I don't think they did a thing in their preparation leading up to the game that had anything to do other than trying to win. But Bellichick as we all should know will do everything in his power to gain an advantage and he messed up in OT and I think he's better than that. So as crazy as it sounds, I don't think the NE went into that game to lose but by the time OT arrived and they had an idea of the Steelers predicament I actually believe Bill made a decision to make it more difficult for his team to win-which might be splitting hairs but is not the same thing as trying to lose.

As a Steeler fan I feel no ill will if that's the case. When you sleep walk through a game and allow a sorry Ravens team led by Ryan Mallet to beat you that's 100% on you.

Users who are viewing this thread