What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Diagnosed with Skin Cancer (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
Squamous Cell Carcinoma.  They did a shave biopsy to remove it initially so they could test it, but will probably want to do additional surgery now that we know it is Cancer.  Damn.  This is on the back of my right hand.  Also have Verrucal Keratosis on the left hand and had a biopsy on it as well that determined that diagnosis.  It's not as serous as the one on the right hand however.  Still, both are better than having melanoma. 

Sucks, and I have a trip planned to NY City in December.

JohnnyU, get well so you can be there with us for rookie/devy discussions. Thoughts and prayers sent your way. Best of luck. 

Best to you and keep us updated. You've got the right attitude it sounds like. My dad's had 4 melanoma cancers removed over the years. If there's anything "good" about skin cancer compared to others, at least these are something you can keep an eye on. Hang in there. 

Best to you and keep us updated. You've got the right attitude it sounds like. My dad's had 4 melanoma cancers removed over the years. If there's anything "good" about skin cancer compared to others, at least these are something you can keep an eye on. Hang in there. 
Thanks.  I have a lot to be thankful for.  Darn it, I just had my nose operated on last month to fix a deviated septum I've had from birth.  Now for the first time in my life I can breath through my left nostril.  Now this :(

good luck with the treatment- great you got it diagnosed and are dealing with it (even if it sucks you have it in the first place).

check the NYC thread if you want any recs while you're here. pm shuke for his Carmine's restaurant review.

always been meaning to mention- my dad was on the taxi/practice squad at Louisville when Johnny U was there and played "against" him some. said he was a giant poos. 

kidding- said he was obviously incredible.

Read Shuke's itinerary while he was in NYC, and do NONE of those things. 
The NYC trip around Xmas is on my wife's bucket list, so I'm just along for the ride.  She has everything planned out, but I will let her know about the link.

I will be right there with you. I have fair skin and was no stranger to the sun growing up. Entire summers shirtless in the sun playing basketball for hours and hours. 

GL and Godspeed, friend!

I'm assuming you're due for Mohs surgery.  aka, "let's dig a hole and keep digging until the bottom of the hole shows no more weird cells." 

Good luck!  

modern medicine is amazing and what they can do now just blows me away be positive and let’s the docs work their magic you got this 

Good luck to you, JohnnyU.  I get my skin checked in a week 1/2. I never miss a year.  I'm spotty, and have had three precancerous places removed in the past. I hope your Doc can nip it in the bud, and you'll be ok.  I'm glad you had your hands looked at. 

I'm assuming you're due for Mohs surgery.  aka, "let's dig a hole and keep digging until the bottom of the hole shows no more weird cells." 

Good luck!  
You hit the nail on the head.  All my medical care is at the Mayo Clinic.
I had Moh’s for a spot of Basel cell cancer on the top of my head last year.  Have a scar, a bald spot and a little canyon up there.   

Best of luck to Johnny.  Hope the surgery goes well and they get all of it!  

JohnnyU said:
Squamous Cell Carcinoma.  They did a shave biopsy to remove it initially so they could test it, but will probably want to do additional surgery now that we know it is Cancer.  Damn.  This is on the back of my right hand.  Also have Verrucal Keratosis on the left hand and had a biopsy on it as well that determined that diagnosis.  It's not as serous as the one on the right hand however.  Still, both are better than having melanoma. 

Good luck man.  Sending good thoughts your way

Best wishes, Johnny. My older sister contracted melonoma last year and fortunately it was detected early enough. It's obviously not easy, but can be manageable with the right treatment/doctors - sounds like you are in a similar boat.

So for others out there, you should be getting a full body scan once a year. The woman I go to is EXTREMELY thorough. Puts on her goggles and checks my body, inch by inch, literally moves every hair follicle. At first I was like  :confused:  but after seeing other dermatologists who took 1/4 the time to check me I will never go to another dermatologist. 

Again, GL Johnny!

Last edited by a moderator:
JohnnyU said:

I've had moes surgery 4 times, hands & wrist.  Not a big deal-really.  some pain involved with deadening the area before they slice & dice.  I'm white & Irish.  perfect for skin cancer.

I will be right there with you. I have fair skin and was no stranger to the sun growing up. Entire summers shirtless in the sun playing basketball for hours and hours. 

GL and Godspeed, friend!

Yep - Norwegian skin, moles/birthmarks all over, grew up in Cali/Hawaii/Texas.

Family history.

Matter of time.

JohnnyU said:

My brother has had two of these procedures to remove, both went well (one on his ear, one on his back)... free and clear for years so far.

Waiting my turn.

Had the Mohs surgery and they got all of the cancer, but then went to NYC (already scheduled) and while at the airport I pulled my luggage and tore open the wound.  So I went to a CVS and got some peroxide and covered it and continued with my vacation.  When I got back I saw a doctor for another issue (broken finger that happened many months before) and he wasn't concerned with the finger, but was concerned about what I had done to my hand after the Moh's surgery.  He immediately scheduled another surgery to fix it.  It was quite the crater opening beforehand. 

After the second surgery,  the wound wouldn't heal, so he told me I had to take off work for a few weeks and start an ultra mist / debridement therapy. Debridement is a procedure for treating a wound in the skin. It involves thoroughly cleaning the wound and removing all hyperkeratotic (thickened skin or callus), infected, and nonviable (necrotic or dead) tissue, foreign debris, and residual material from dressings.. 

I did this 3 times a week for a few weeks and the wound is almost healed and I will go back to work on Monday.  It's been quite the ordeal.  To follow up all of that I had a Colonoscopy on Friday :)

Thank God for the Mayo Clinic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear you caught this early and got this taken care of.

Good PSA for folks to always lather up the sunscreen and wear a hat when outside for long periods. Most of us in here likely did a lot of damage as kids so need to be extra careful now. 

Wow.  That's quite an experience you went through.  You really have to be careful about open wounds and infection. 

I've had skin cancer too (on my back).  If you're prone to it, I recommend you go every six months to a year for regular checkups.

Ugh, that sounds tough, but glad to hear you’re almost healed. And maybe you need another week off work just to be safe?

Ugh, that sounds tough, but glad to hear you’re almost healed. And maybe you need another week off work just to be safe?
Thanks, but I need to get back to work.  I need the distractions and routine it presents.  It made me think that I will need to reinvent myself when I retire in a few years.  Much like I had to do as a young man.

Wow.  That's quite an experience you went through.  You really have to be careful about open wounds and infection. 

I've had skin cancer too (on my back).  If you're prone to it, I recommend you go every six months to a year for regular checkups.
That is great advice and I will surely have my entire body checked every 6 months.

Users who are viewing this thread