What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Diabetes drug Metformin To Let Humans Live to 120? (1 Viewer)

mquinnjr

Footballguy
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/12017112/Worlds-first-anti-ageing-drug-could-see-humans-live-to-120.html

I, for one, welcome our AARP overlords.

Will be very interesting to see how trials for this pan out. It's a new indication for Metformin, so I'm assuming it won't fall under blockbuster drug patent protection/would be reasonably financially accessible to the public if approved. Still trying to wrap my head around basically stretching out life longevity across the board and what the biggest impacts would be. 62.5 at retirement, but I can expect to live to 110+, but my body wouldn't be that of a traditional 62.5 year old American? :mindblown:

Now if they could only combat me becoming socially irrelevant from absolutely not giving a damn about many of the current trends, such as social media use. Soon enough I will be a stranger in a strange land, more so if I live to be 120.

I'm only for this if we can stop issuing driver's licences at, let's say, 75. Can you imagine the roadways full of 110 year olds?!

Metformin is great. Wife has been on it for awhile. It's not really a drug, unless if you consider something like rosemary extract a drug.

Wait, so I need to be diabetic for my doctor to give me this drug?

Why yes, I WILL have another cheeseburger added to my meal, Mr. In N' Out drive-thru guy.

I've been reading about Metformin (also known as Glucophage) for years now as an anti-aging drug.

The only life extension technique that I'm aware of that actually works is 'caloric restriction' (aka near starvation) and that's not a lifestyle most people want to adopt.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you really want to blow your mind, Google the company BioViva. They did a telomere lengthening gene therapy on a human back in September. We don't know how will this will work in humans, but it kicked butt in mice. Theoretically it will greatly extend life, youthful life.

You can currently by a month's supply of metformin 500 for around $5 at most pharmacies. Wonder how this affects that price.

I would only want to live to 120 if I could feel/look like 30 the entire time. I saw an old guy trip once walking down a city sidewalk; I thought he died right in front of me - ambulance came and everything. No idea how he turned out.

Yeah not looking forward to that.

TI would only want to live to 120 if I could feel/look like 30 the entire time. I saw an old guy trip once walking down a city sidewalk; I thought he died right in front of me - ambulance came and everything. No idea how he turned out.

Were you able to walk around the old dude without an issue? It would be creepy if he grabbed your ankle or made eye contact with you.

Fennis said:
Arizona Ron said:
TI would only want to live to 120 if I could feel/look like 30 the entire time. I saw an old guy trip once walking down a city sidewalk; I thought he died right in front of me - ambulance came and everything. No idea how he turned out.

Were you able to walk around the old dude without an issue? It would be creepy if he grabbed your ankle or made eye contact with you.
It was about 15-20 feet in front of me. My first instinct was to help him up, then you realize it could actually hurt him even more by doing so. Myself and a few other passer byes just stayed with him until the ambulance showed up. I'd say the dude was easily 80+.

Arizona Ron said:
I would only want to live to 120 if I could feel/look like 30 the entire time. I saw an old guy trip once walking down a city sidewalk; I thought he died right in front of me - ambulance came and everything. No idea how he turned out.

Exactly! Who wants to extend how we'd likely be at 80 years old for another 40 years. Sounds like a prison sentence.

Arizona Ron said:

Thats the goal man.

No one is trying to extend the old and decrepit years.

Arizona Ron said:

I don't believe a word of this because you didn't provide us with the exact details of what you were wearing.

You actually hear of natural body builders using this drug as part of an intermittent fasting program. For a low carb dieter it's a good way to promote fat oxidation while eating high protein. It's primary mechanism is to reduce the impact of insulin on the liver to reduce the protein -> glucose pathway thereby holding down blood sugar levels.

Other side benefits are you can drink a lot heavier.

Last edited by a moderator:
No one lives forever, no one. But with advances in modern science and my high level income, it's not crazy to think I could live to be 245, maybe 300. Heck, I just read in the newspaper that they put a pig heart in some guy from Russia. Do you know what that means?

that's pretty much what medical science has done so far.
That's because they've never treated aging as a disease. Most doctors still aren't.

I personally believe, very strongly, that aging can be solved, and reversed, via gene therapy. And since aging is an underlying factor in so many diseases, that single thing will have the greatest benefit for health of anything we've ever seen or will ever see again.

That said, people will still die. Accidents will be the leading cause of death. Cancer will still exist (although it should be less common and hopefully also solvable). Random diseases/viruses can still get people. But the time of death being certain is going by the wayside in the near future.

So basically I can sit is a recliner drinking, farting and playing video games for forty years living off my pension.

Yes please.

Keep in mind this "drug" was for all intents found by the ancient greeks. It's nothing more than a ground up french lily for the most part. It's not entirely clear to my why this is even a regulated by prescription product except that at higher dosages you could have a crashing blood sugar low if you were perhaps bulimic/anorexic, and maybe even die? Not sure what combination of dose and diet would ultimately kill you.

Scoresman said:
Wait, so I need to be diabetic for my doctor to give me this drug?

Why yes, I WILL have another cheeseburger added to my meal, Mr. In N' Out drive-thru guy.
Good question. I'm at an age where if this stuff has some effect I'd want to start now.

As far as increased flatulence, I don't see how that is possible. I pretty much live in my own cloud as it is.

Arizona Ron said:

Thats the goal man.

Well

a lot of old a decrepit people are trying to extend those years

I hear cold fusion is right around the corner too.
I'm not a believer in this. I'd love to see it happen, but from what I understand it violates what we know about physics.

I do think our body is built and rebuilt everyday, and if the instructions are tweaked to remove aging, we'll stop aging.

Users who are viewing this thread