What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DI Jukebox Draft (66-15)- Listen up (1 Viewer)

Since the excel sheet is back up..... here comes the filler

1971 - Dead Flowers - The Rolling Stones

1973 - Gimme Danger - Iggy And The Stooges

1992 - Confetti - The Lemonheads

1994 - Undone: The Sweater Song - Weezer

1998 - New Noise - Refused 

CAN I SCREAM!?!?!?!??!

1999 - Coffee And TV - Blur

:wub: this video

2000 - Rosability - Idlewild
Would have picked The Refused and Poetry Written In Gasoline if not for D4 -- and the Weezer pick is also cool. We're sharing a '73 song from the same album. Nice. Similar tastes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best trade since Frank Robinson went to the Orioles
Ron Francis and Ulf Samuelsson from the Whale to the Pittsburgh Penguins was pretty much a steal, too. We got John Cullen and Zarley Zalapski. They got a HoFer and an all-star. 

I know you guys are shooting the baseball stuff; I just can't stand that trade to this day.  

tumblr_n91mjwl3wj1smsmqro1_500.gif
 wait

Since the excel sheet is back up..... here comes the filler

1971 - Dead Flowers - The Rolling Stones

1973 - Gimme Danger - Iggy And The Stooges

1992 - Confetti - The Lemonheads

1994 - Undone: The Sweater Song - Weezer

1998 - New Noise - Refused 

CAN I SCREAM!?!?!?!??!

1999 - Coffee And TV - Blur

:wub: this video

2000 - Rosability - Idlewild
Would have picked The Refused and Poetry Written In Gasoline if not for D4 -- and the Weezer pick is also cool. We're sharing a '73 song from the same album. Nice. Similar tastes.
For me, The Lemonheads song is a result of digital media. Having the ability to easily pick songs onto a playlist and not being required (need a better word!) to listen to entire albums (Now I remember mix-tapes from waaaay back when, but they were work!!!) allows for songs to 'fall off the radar.' I remember listening to 'It's a Shame About Ray' and liking 'Confetti.' Since The Lemonheads are not a huge love of mine, somehow only It's a Shame About Ray and Mrs. Robinson 'survived' onto playlists. This is one of the great things about these drafts!!

I'm no expert in that era of music but, to me, the difference is in what I think the sources of the two singers are. The 3DD down dude is from the Michael Stipe school, whereas Rob Thomas - seems to me - has based his style on 60s rock-and-soul singers. 

Listening to simey's juke. I knew I'd like it, because she & I have a lot of similar tastes in music.

"Midnight Train To Georgia" is on right now which, I may have mentioned when simey chose it, is one of the most perfect recordings I've ever heard. EVERYTHING works. Obviously, the vocals and the drums. But that piano part is just as amazing.

I had this GKATP queued up for '73, but went in a different direction (& still almost used a mulligan to bring it back in). My favorite GKATP song and one that shames every 90s alternative life-is-#### record (looking you straight in the eye, Cobain). But with better singers and musicians.

Final list; off to Spotify.

Code:
1956 	Be Bop a LuLa							                Gene Vincent	
1958	Rumble								                    Link Wray
1960	Only the Lonely							                Roy Orbison
1964	A Change is Gonna Come						            Sam Cooke
1966	Meet Me in the City						                Junior Kimbrough
1967	Dear Mr. Fantasy						                Traffic
1968	Hurdy Gurdy Man							                Donovan
1969	Monkey Man							                    Rolling Stones
1970	Gasoline Alley							                Rod Stewart
1971	Proud Mary							                    Ike and Tina Turner
1972	Doctor My Eyes							                Jackson Browne
1973	Bennie and the Jets						                Elton John
1974	Stardust							                    David Essex
1975	Land								                    Patty Smith
1976	Keep on Knockin'						                Death
1977	All Kindsa Girls						                The Real Kids
1978	What's so Funny about Peace, Love and Understanding		Elvis Costello
1979	*	
1980	New Year's Day							                U2
1981	Summer of Fun							                The Barracudas
1982	Johnny 99							                    Bruce Sprinsteen	
1983	Wonderful Remark						                Van Morrison
1984	Rattlesnakes							                Lloyd Cole and the Commotions
1985	*	
1986	Surprise Truck							                Camper Van Beethoven	
1987	One Time One Night						                Los Lobos
1988	If I Only Had Time						                The Godfathers
1989	Half Past You							                Love Battery
1990	Way Down Now							                World Party
1991	Closer								                    Screaming Trees
1992	Damn, I Wish I was your Lover					        Sophie B. Hawkins
1993	Dogs of Lust							                The The
1994	Strange Conversation						            Ted Hawkins
1995	Live Free							                    Son Volt
1996	Anenome								                    Brian Jonestown Massacre
1997	Flagpole Sitta							                Harvey Danger
1998	Death Letter							                Johnny Farmer
1999	There Are Some Days						                Ray Wylie Hubbard
2000	Spinnin' On this Rock						            Ramsay Midwood
2001	Life On  a Chain						                Pete Yorn
2002	I Wish I was the Moon						            Neko Case
2003	Bring It On							                    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
2004	Winners and Losers						                Social Distortion
2005	Come Into My Sleep						                Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
2006	Searching for the Ghost						            Heartless Bastards
2007	Words								                    Lucinda Williams
2008	A Ghost to Most							                Drive-by Truckers
2009	Last Pale Light in the West					            Ben Nichols
2010	*
2011	Brain Gallop							                Stephen Malkmus
2012	I Found You							                    Alabama Shakes
2013	Change My Ways							                The Headstones
2014	Broken Bones and Pocket Change					        St. Paul and the Broken Bones
2015	*

Hope I'm not abusing the mulligans too much, but I can't find Death's body of work on Spotify. Gonna sub in George Benson's This Masquerade.

Surprise Truck unavailable on Spotify (but other tunes from the album are)

Mother Trucker!

ETA: Same band, same year, different album: Take the Skinheads Bowling

Here we go again, Love Battery's Half Past You is also not available on Spotify. Gonna go with an old reliable here, The Pixie's HEY!

Hope I'm not mucking up the spirit of this draft too much.

Sigh

Nick Cave's Come into my Sleep is not available on Spotify, I don't know who Mick Harvey is, but Spotify managed to snag his performance of the song. I'll include it for now and hope that it grows on me, but I may have to redo 2005.

ixNay - Mick Harvey is not cutting it. Gonna go with another tried and true - This Year by The Mountain Goats

I was attempting to do a 45 year metal mix as we went along.  70-15.  Realized that I haven't been keeping up for the last few years, but I still put a cheating mix together.  Still spans 70-2010 or so and hits every year but a couple.  Had fun putting it together, don't know if there is any interest, but figured I would post a link anyway. 

Surprise Truck unavailable on Spotify (but other tunes from the album are)

Mother Trucker!

ETA: Same band, same year, different album: Take the Skinheads Bowling
I took Take the Skinheads Bowling.

Finished up Doc Ock's playlist today. So far the mellowest of the lists and easy to listen to. My wife, who has been kibitzing my picks, loved the list and added a number of songs to our music collection. Next up: Ilov80s. I am expecting big things from a fellow 80s lover (if that is what his name means).

Finished up Doc Ock's playlist today. So far the mellowest of the lists and easy to listen to. My wife, who has been kibitzing my picks, loved the list and added a number of songs to our music collection. Next up: Ilov80s. I am expecting big things from a fellow 80s lover (if that is what his name means).
Maybe he likes Jheri Curl.

Uruk-Hai said:
I'm no expert in that era of music but, to me, the difference is in what I think the sources of the two singers are. The 3DD down dude is from the Michael Stipe school, whereas Rob Thomas - seems to me - has based his style on 60s rock-and-soul singers. 
Ayup.  The songs are also in two different keys and involve different instrumentation. They're not even really the same tempo.  Odd comparison.  

sn0mm1s said:

lol you might be disappointed, the list isn't heavy on 80s music. My idea with the jukebox was as a tribute to my favorite divebar that burned down 2 years ago. It had been open since the 40s and was full of a lot of different characters. The jukebox was amazing. You would hear everything from rap being played by the just turned 21 crowd to old jazz/blues standards from the old timers. So the list isn't so much a collection of my favorite songs as it is a collection of songs that would recreate the feel and sound of Howell's jukebox.

lol you might be disappointed, the list isn't heavy on 80s music. My idea with the jukebox was as a tribute to my favorite divebar that burned down 2 years ago. It had been open since the 40s and was full of a lot of different characters. The jukebox was amazing. You would hear everything from rap being played by the just turned 21 crowd to old jazz/blues standards from the old timers. So the list isn't so much a collection of my favorite songs as it is a collection of songs that would recreate the feel and sound of Howell's jukebox.
This was in Detroit?  Sad.  Any plans to rebuild it?

KarmaPolice said:
I was attempting to do a 45 year metal mix as we went along.  70-15.  Realized that I haven't been keeping up for the last few years, but I still put a cheating mix together.  Still spans 70-2010 or so and hits every year but a couple.  Had fun putting it together, don't know if there is any interest, but figured I would post a link anyway. 
Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away) could be one of my top ten all-time favorite songs. I didn't pick it because I loved the backstory of Mogwai's "Tracy" merch, but I'll have to give this a listen. Great pick from '97. 

eta* Chino's pause between screaming and saying "far" is 17 1/4 beats. Jennifer Egan (A Visit From The Goon Squad author) would be proud of my knowledge of this, as would the boy in the last chapter of the book. 

eta2* I would recommend any music/lit fan that book. It's fantastic, and topical, and wonderful. 

Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away) could be one of my top ten all-time favorite songs. I didn't pick it because I loved the backstory of Mogwai's "Tracy" merch, but I'll have to give this a listen. Great pick from '97. 

eta* Chino's pause between screaming and saying "far" is 17 1/4 beats. Jennifer Egan (A Visit From The Goon Squad author) would be proud of my knowledge of this, as would the boy in the last chapter of the book. 

eta2* I would recommend any music/lit fan that book. It's fantastic, and topical, and wonderful. 
:thumbup:    As always, I am interested in any feedback if you do check out the mix.  Fun revisiting the stuff from the 80s that I was into. 

Never heard of that book, but will add it to the list.  I think I might have read one of her other books - The Keep maybe? 

Simey's mix did have a bit of the country flavor that I was expecting.  Not really my thing, but still liked a lot of the songs.  A lot of the stuff I hadn't heard before leaned in that direction, but still got some good tunes added:

Midnight Train to Georgia, Up the Junction, Add it Up, Driver 8, White Room

I think I said it during another draft, but the Violent Femmes pop up on these mixes a lot and I like all the songs, don't know why I don't listen to them more.  Hadn't heard that song, so I had to add that.  Also never heard Up the Juction before.  I also need to listen to early REM more - seems like i just listen to the same few albums from the HS days and don't branch out for whatever reason.  Other 2 are just great songs that usually aren't in my rotation. 

Next up is AA....

.... and AA is who's mix I listened to last night and today.  Interesting mix a few I hadn't heard before, but it was a pretty familiar mix (in a good way).  A lot of stuff that I have just forgotten about over the years - heard on radio, but not at all since: ie Staind, Vertical Horizon, 3 Doors Down.   Songs I took from this one:

Spectrum, Heart of the Sunrise, One of these Nights, Slide, Fall Down, Room Without a View, No Reply At All

Spectrum, Heart of the Sunrise, and Room Without a View I hadn't heard before.  Yes is another band I need to listen to more.  As is early Genesis, hence taking that song.  Fall Down was one of those "holy ####, it's that song" tunes.  Not sure I had that album but I remember listening to the other big Toad the Wet Sprocket album to death.  I am not a fan of The Eagles much, but really like that song.  Slide is just a great song I love that I also don't have in my rotation or listen to that album much.

Looks like Zilla is next.

Simey's mix did have a bit of the country flavor that I was expecting.  Not really my thing, but still liked a lot of the songs.  A lot of the stuff I hadn't heard before leaned in that direction, but still got some good tunes added:

Midnight Train to Georgia, Up the Junction, Add it Up, Driver 8, White Room

I think I said it during another draft, but the Violent Femmes pop up on these mixes a lot and I like all the songs, don't know why I don't listen to them more.  Hadn't heard that song, so I had to add that.  Also never heard Up the Juction before.  I also need to listen to early REM more - seems like i just listen to the same few albums from the HS days and don't branch out for whatever reason.  Other 2 are just great songs that usually aren't in my rotation. 

Next up is AA....
I can't recommend the Violent Femmes enough. Their first album is fantastic from the first song to the last. One of the few albums - from any artist - where I like every song on the album. I took Blister in the Sun and Gone Daddy Gone in previous drafts (ilov80s took Blister in this one) and chose I Held Her in My Arms in this one. I will try to fit them into any draft I participate in. They also are back together and touring again so, if you like seeing bands, live they don't disappoint.

I can't recommend the Violent Femmes enough. Their first album is fantastic from the first song to the last. One of the few albums - from any artist - where I like every song on the album. I took Blister in the Sun and Gone Daddy Gone in previous drafts (ilov80s took Blister in this one) and chose I Held Her in My Arms in this one. I will try to fit them into any draft I participate in. They also are back together and touring again so, if you like seeing bands, live they don't disappoint.
I will give 'em a better listen then.  I remember it was Gone Daddy Gone that I really loved in one of the other drafts and hadn't heard before that time. 

I just spun this earlier in the week and it really holds up over time.

and then they open their follow up album 'Hallowed Ground' with 'Country Death Song'. While I actually have quite the affection for that song, I'll never understand the placement of it. That's something you bury have way through side two. 

I'm from Milwaukee and have always had a soft spot for my homies but the Violent Femmes' output after their debut album is pretty weak.  The mid 80s were perilous times for a band with a spare sound like the Femmes.  Their attempts to expand the sound with overdubs and horns diminished what made them special IMO.  Oh well, one classic album is more than you can say about a lot of bands.

The one album Gano's gospel side project The Mercy Seat put out in 1987 still holds up pretty well, in part because the arrangements stay pretty simple but mostly because of Zena von Hepinstall.

I'm from Milwaukee and have always had a soft spot for my homies but the Violent Femmes' output after their debut album is pretty weak.  The mid 80s were perilous times for a band with a spare sound like the Femmes.  Their attempts to expand the sound with overdubs and horns diminished what made them special IMO.  Oh well, one classic album is more than you can say about a lot of bands.

The one album Gano's gospel side project The Mercy Seat put out in 1987 still holds up pretty well, in part because the arrangements stay pretty simple but mostly because of Zena von Hepinstall.
I don't know if I agree that their output is weak - just none of it is as compelling as their debut. It is pretty hard to replicate what they accomplished with their first album. There are still 2-3 songs on every album after their first that I really like (though I haven't picked up their latest release). 

KarmaPolice said:
Next up is AA....
I listened to AA's yesterday, and like it a lot. It is missing the song "Amie" in the playlist, but Marco can fix that. AA drafted "Falling in and out of Love" and its companion song "Amie" by Pure Prairie League, but just the first song is on the playlist. 

I have no idea where else to vent about this, so here goes:

The music at the Oscars SUCKED.  Not just the song nominees, but the awful crap they played in between bits.  I had no idea every piece of movie music ever writen could sound exactly like every other piece.  Did they get the people at Muzak to do that?  Ugh.

The music at the Oscars SUCKED.  Not just the song nominees, but the awful crap they played in between bits.  I had no idea every piece of movie music ever writen could sound exactly like every other piece.  Did they get the people at Muzak to do that?  Ugh.
What, you didn't like Fight the Power at the closing of the show?? ;)

Heh, was it that bad? 

I like the Sam Smith tune tho.  Glad it won.  

I liked Grohl's rendition of "Blackbird" during the in memoriam segment. Wish he played the whole tune though rather than a few sections.

17.02 A

R.E.M. - Superman - 1986

Didn't know this song was as cover, when it was released, but has become on of my favorite cover songs of all time.

17.02 B

The English Beat - Twist And Crawl - 1980

Ska's close enough to reggae, right?
I'm cursed. Was about to sub this in for my 1986 pick, but apparently the search function is working a little too good right now. Still, this song made a not so good day a lot better.

Back to the salt mine.

Users who are viewing this thread