What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Detroit Tigers thread: 1st pick yet again, this is not fun*** (2 Viewers)

The guys on the MLB Network seemed to like Detroit. They talked about how no team can match the Tigers corner production.  Miggy, Nick, JUP and JD are capable of a combined 110 HRs and close to 400 RBIs. add in Kinsler, a "healthy?" V-Mart and you have another possible 40 HRs and 150 RBIs.

Again it will be bullpen, bullpen, bullpen and not going 4-14 against the Tribe. Starting the year 0-11 against Cleveland was a killer in giving them a nice cushion right from the start.
Well, you look at Detroit and they hit for average (3rd in majors), have good power (8th in majors), and OBP is very good (5th).  But given that, a bit disappointing (11th) in where it counts, runs scored.  Can they improve?  I think they can.  V-Mart is a year older, but played through a hernia.  He can get over .300 again and maybe toy with 40 HRs as you said.  Miggy has lost some weight and hopefully improved his mobility.  JD is healthy, so his numbers should be up.  JUP was a big disappointment most of the year, so hopefully he can do better than having one hot month.  Kinsler was rock solid, so hopefully he can maintain his production.  Nick made huge strides last year, so hopefully that continues.  McCannon hit .220 last year, so we hope he has some upward potential.  Iggy looks like he can hit .280 consistently, with zero power.  But that is not bad for someone with his glove and in the 9th spot.  CF is a wild card, but likely will be better than we had with Gose, but worse than what Maybin did.  I think the Tigers can improve those numbers.  But damn they need to get smarter on the bases.

I was cautiously high on the Tigers last year pre-season.  And I am higher on them this year, feeling much better about their starters and even pretty good about the bullpen.  Oddly, I am more concerned with K-Rod then I am the rest of the pen. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, you look at Detroit and they hit for average (3rd in majors), have good power (8th in majors), and OBP is very good (5th).  But given that, a bit disappointing (11th) in where it counts, runs scored.  Can they improve?  I think they can.  V-Mart is a year older, but played through a hernia.  He can get over .300 again and maybe toy with 40 HRs as you said.  Miggy has lost some weight and hopefully improved his mobility.  JD is healthy, so his numbers should be up.  JUP was a big disappointment most of the year, so hopefully he can do better than having one hot month.  Kinsler was rock solid, so hopefully he can maintain his production.  Nick made huge strides last year, so hopefully that continues.  McCannon hit .220 last year, so we hope he has some upward potential.  Iggy looks like he can hit .280 consistently, with zero power.  But that is not bad for someone with his glove and in the 9th spot.  CF is a wild card, but likely will be better than we had with Gose, but worse than what Maybin did.  I think the Tigers can improve those numbers.  But damn they need to get smarter on the bases.

I was cautiously high on the Tigers last year pre-season.  And I am higher on them this year, feeling much better about their starters and even pretty good about the bullpen.  Oddly, I am more concerned with K-Rod then I am the rest of the pen. 
For some reason I don`t trust K-Rod either.  I know the numbers don`t lie and he had a good season by the numbers. But when a closers fastball is only hitting 89 it concerns me. That game he blew vs KC late in the year with 2 out in the 9th still pisses me off!

For some reason I don`t trust K-Rod either.  I know the numbers don`t lie and he had a good season by the numbers. But when a closers fastball is only hitting 89 it concerns me. That game he blew vs KC late in the year with 2 out in the 9th still pisses me off!
That loss kind of set the tone for the end of the season.  The Tigers should have made the playoffs anyways with their weak schedule, but it seemed the rookie starters kind of hit the wall. 

In all seriousness, where do you Tiger fan see your team contending? Is the window closing on contending before rebuilding or not? I get the sense that this may be the last harrah for now.
Depends on the young guys. Some of the old guys will get hurt. When that's happened, or they hit a rough patch, recently there has only been dredge to replace them. This changing, but are they ready? And will the good ones from last year repeat? Or is a valley on the horizon?

I don't know but I'm happy this team has done what they have the last 18 months. I don't think there is a window anymore. This team is setup for both now and the future. 

MAC_32 said:
Depends on the young guys. Some of the old guys will get hurt. When that's happened, or they hit a rough patch, recently there has only been dredge to replace them. This changing, but are they ready? And will the good ones from last year repeat? Or is a valley on the horizon?

I don't know but I'm happy this team has done what they have the last 18 months. I don't think there is a window anymore. This team is setup for both now and the future. 
As old as the Tigers stars are, the Tigers do have a solid base of young players:  3rd, SS, catcher, CF, 2-3 starters, and some promising arms in the pen.  I can understand having the huge 50 percent tax if they go over the cap next year was a legitimate priority, and they are in good shape to do that.  It was a smart off season all things considered. 

Both CFs we were talking about Austin Jackson and Peter Bourjos  end up in the AL Central with minor league deals. 

Mikie adds some good depth for a bench clearing brawl though...seems like he would be the first one in the pile.

Da Guru said:
Both CFs we were talking about Austin Jackson and Peter Bourjos  end up in the AL Central with minor league deals. 

Mikie adds some good depth for a bench clearing brawl though...seems like he would be the first one in the pile.
AJax only got a minor league deal?   I could see him bounce back and have a solid year given a chance.  I guess the Tigers don't like re-treads unless they really suck.  

Rays got Rasmus for $5mil. Guess that money is better spent on Mike Pelfrey  :loco:
Sometimes I don`t get baseball contracts.  Pelfrey had no other team that was interested in him and I remember they were talking 1 year at 5 million. How does it end up 2 at 16? Why not 2 at 10?  Hell..why not 1 at the vet minimum?

Sometimes I don`t get baseball contracts.  Pelfrey had no other team that was interested in him and I remember they were talking 1 year at 5 million. How does it end up 2 at 16? Why not 2 at 10?  Hell..why not 1 at the vet minimum?
I mean I concede to say that the Upton contract is what has their backs against the wall right now. It's still funny to me how much flexibility Pelfrey's $8mil would have given them with this years FA crop. They could have basically said this is who were signing for CF or just kept Maybin.

The Jim Leyland "A Baseball life" on MLBN was awesome.  I have been a Tigers fan for 3+ decades, I love them more than my family, and I think Leyland is the best manager we ever had.  Wish we still had that grumpy #######, he had the talent and the strategy to win a World Series in Detroit but it just came up short.  Again, 2013 was the best chance.  That was their year. 

The Jim Leyland "A Baseball life" on MLBN was awesome.  I have been a Tigers fan for 3+ decades, I love them more than my family, and I think Leyland is the best manager we ever had.  Wish we still had that grumpy #######, he had the talent and the strategy to win a World Series in Detroit but it just came up short.  Again, 2013 was the best chance.  That was their year. 
I saw the show on Wednesday. Very insightful. Seeing guys like Sheffield and Bonds be so openly emotional about their feelings for Leyland is a testament to the impact he had. 

The News put out a list of possible "bargain bin" FA's Tigers might be interested in:

Michael Bourn, CF

At 34, he’s a shell of the player he was in his prime, but he still has some athleticism, and the Tigers are lacking there. He can steal bases, and can play center field, where the Tigers don’t have a preferred starter. He can be had for $2 million or less as he tries to rebuild his value.

Doug Fister, SP

The Tigers starting rotation could be a strength, especially on top with Justin Verlander, Michael Fulmer, Daniel Norris and Jordan Zimmermann. But Zimmermann’s health is a concern, as is Anibal Sanchez. Fister, 33, had great years in Detroit, and a familiar setting could help him rebound.

Luke Hochevar, RP

The No. 1 overall pick in the 2006 draft, his career seemed to take off once the Royals moved him from starter to reliever. Then he had Tommy John surgery a couple of years ago, and hasn’t been quite as dominant. That said, Hochevar, 33, still has put up great peripheral statistics.

Angel Pagan, OF

Here’s another center-field possibility who could compete for a job with Tyler Collins, JaCoby Jones and Mikie Mahtook. Pagan, 35, didn’t play much center last season, but was the Giants’ starting center fielder the year before. He’s got some pop, and still can steal some bases.

Travis Wood, RP

The Tigers’ bullpen, obviously, has long been the team’s Achilles’ heel, even in years when it was supposed to be much-improved. Wood, 30, a lefty, isn’t a big name by any means, but he was remarkably efficient for the Cubs in 2016, his first full year as a reliever after moving from the rotation.

Other possibilities

Coco Crisp, OF; Sam Fuld, OF; Peter Moylan, RP; Carlos Villanueva, RP

Tigers’ spring training starts Tuesday. Opening Day is April 3 on the road against the Chicago White Sox, with the home opener April 7 against the Boston Red Sox.

tpaul@detroitnews.com

Sad news, he was awesome to the Tigers.  It would not be shocking to see a huge fire sale unfortunately.  
If they are way out of it early on or nearing the trade deadline. Pretty sure they won't be throwing in the towel this close to his death.

If they are way out of it early on or nearing the trade deadline. Pretty sure they won't be throwing in the towel this close to his death.
The trading deadline will be the first real opportunity.  The Tigers need to be within a couple of games, or the chips will start to fall, IMHO.  Of course who knows how the will plays out and if there is any battles. 

Detroit News article: So that would seem to suggest there’s just no wiggle room for the Tigers these days. But that’s not completely true. There remains a possibility the Tigers could sign a bargain free agent or two before spring training starts next week, or even during spring training. Any such deal, after all, likely would be a one-year pact, and not have any effect on 2018’s payroll. With that in mind, here are some options that remain on the free-agent market.

Michael Bourn, CF

At 34, he’s a shell of the player he was in his prime, but he still has some athleticism, and the Tigers are lacking there. He can steal bases, and can play center field, where the Tigers don’t have a preferred starter. He can be had for $2 million or less as he tries to rebuild his value.

Doug Fister, SP

The Tigers starting rotation could be a strength, especially on top with Justin Verlander, Michael Fulmer, Daniel Norris and Jordan Zimmermann. But Zimmermann’s health is a concern, as is Anibal Sanchez. Fister, 33, had great years in Detroit, and a familiar setting could help him rebound.

Luke Hochevar, RP

The No. 1 overall pick in the 2006 draft, his career seemed to take off once the Royals moved him from starter to reliever. Then he had Tommy John surgery a couple of years ago, and hasn’t been quite as dominant. That said, Hochevar, 33, still has put up great peripheral statistics.

Angel Pagan, OF

Here’s another center-field possibility who could compete for a job with Tyler Collins, JaCoby Jones and Mikie Mahtook. Pagan, 35, didn’t play much center last season, but was the Giants’ starting center fielder the year before. He’s got some pop, and still can steal some bases.

Travis Wood, RP

The Tigers’ bullpen, obviously, has long been the team’s Achilles’ heel, even in years when it was supposed to be much-improved. Wood, 30, a lefty, isn’t a big name by any means, but he was remarkably efficient for the Cubs in 2016, his first full year as a reliever after moving from the rotation.

Other possibilities

Coco Crisp, OF; Sam Fuld, OF; Peter Moylan, RP; Carlos Villanueva, RP

whoknew said:
I really don't like that Michael Fulmer is pitching in the WBC.
Add Jimmenez to the list too.  I suppose I get wanting him to face big time hitters, but I would much rather see him ready to help the club as I think he'll be a call up way sooner than later.

AND, not a pitcher, but I hate the idea of Vmart doing much of anything before the start of the regular season.  

Wish the Tigers would have been more patient with Robbie Ray. Was watching some highlights of him from last year on the MLB Network and his stuff is electric. Fastball was hitting 96-97.

Ray has a higher K per 9 rate than Sherzer and  just turned 25.  If he can get his walks down he is going to be a stud.

The CBS guys were railing on the Tigers for the money they have tied up in JV, Miggy, JUP, and JZimm. 

Sorry but half that group is playing at an MVP level and the other half is within the market norm.  How anyone can include JV or Miggy in the current Tigers makeup misses the whole point, they are there to grab a share of seats in Comerica for one, and they are playing like HOFers for another.  No reason to think Miggy will slow down during his contract years and if JV stays healthy, I think he's gonna be one of the best pitchers of his generation.  Sure JUP and JZimm are ???? but let's give them more than one year to evaluate.  :2cents:

The CBS guys were railing on the Tigers for the money they have tied up in JV, Miggy, JUP, and JZimm. 

Sorry but half that group is playing at an MVP level and the other half is within the market norm.  How anyone can include JV or Miggy in the current Tigers makeup misses the whole point, they are there to grab a share of seats in Comerica for one, and they are playing like HOFers for another.  No reason to think Miggy will slow down during his contract years and if JV stays healthy, I think he's gonna be one of the best pitchers of his generation.  Sure JUP and JZimm are ???? but let's give them more than one year to evaluate.  :2cents:
By buddy is in Lakeland and says Victor is running around like a spring chicken. Taking balls at 1B.,,doing running and sliding drills.

The only guy that concerns me is Zimmerman...since that $$$ could have kept JD and I know that is hindsight.  I took Z in the 25th

rd of our roto league so hope he rebounds.

I'm still concerned about how they replace Maybin.  The team was far worse without him in the lineup last year and he provided speed at the top of the order.  They have no clue at this point who is going to play CF or bat 2nd.  

I'm still concerned about how they replace Maybin.  The team was far worse without him in the lineup last year and he provided speed at the top of the order.  They have no clue at this point who is going to play CF or bat 2nd.  
Having Upton hit 2nd might be the best idea at the beginning of the season, he provides some speed and if he takes on the approach of taking pitches hitting in front of Cabrera he might not have those long streaks of terribleness.  Avila could also hit 2nd when he plays, he takes a lot of walks.  Having guys on base in front of Miggy/VMart/JD is the goal. 

With CF I'm more worried about the defense.  Tigers are above average offensively at every position but 3B, C, CF, and SS.  3B production looks to get better but right now the league is full of really good players there.  Iglesias and McCann are both above average defensively, even if they can't hit all that well.  But both had key hits at times last year and I think McCann in particular is just gonna get better.  No idea what is going on in CF but if the player is above average defensively, I can live with a speculative bat.  Jones is gonna hit for some power I know, but he's a big swing and miss guy and no idea how he's gonna handle CF.  But he seems like a good athlete so we'll see. 

Users who are viewing this thread