What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Derrick Ward vs. Ahmad Bradshaw (1 Viewer)

Isotopes

Footballguy
I haven't really followed the Giants this offseason, but know that all three of there running backs have been productive at times. Jacobs is being drafted fairly high in most fantasy drafts. Ward was very productive when Jacobs got hurt last season, and Bradshaw was a stud in the postseason. I am curious which guy - Ward or Bradshaw - will get more opportunities this year.

Insights?

Shameless bump.

What peaked my interest was a comment on Mike and Mike this morning. They were doing the Giants "4 downs" and one queston posed to M&M was "Are Brandon Jacobs and Ahmad Bradshaw the best 1/2 punch in the NFL". As a guy who took a late round flyer on Derrick Ward, I thought perhaps I missed some news on his injury.

Any thoughts on the Giant backfield?

I picked up Bradshaw with the hopes he develops into NYG starting RB in 2009. Jacobs and Ward are FA after 2008. We can expect them to be run into the ground and Bradshaw to be given a chance to start in 2009.

Transcript: Offensive Coordinator Kevin Gilbride

SEPTEMBER 1, 2008

Q: At running back. How you do decide who to use?

A: Usually that takes care of itself. Unfortunately over the last year we had to find out after we were wondering how we are going to use them all. All of a sudden we were looking for a fourth one as the season went on. We will rotate them and let a guy get into a flow and then substitute. And then if a guy is looking like he is playing well, then we will keep him in there until fatigue takes over and we have to take a rest. It is a problem that I wish we had at every position. You wish you had that problem, the kind of quality at all of the positions. Then you wouldn’t be concerned nearly as much with injuries or anything else.

Q: Those guys have such different attributes. Does the offensive line have to be aware of who is behind them? Do they have to change things up at all?

A: We don’t change up, but there is, I think, a sense of certain guys. It is more really what we do play calling. We try to say we are going to do it all the same, and we do for the most part. But there is no question, everybody does certain things better than other things. And so you try --- without tipping your hand to the defense – this is what I’m going to do. There are certain things that Ahmad is going to do a little more efficiently than Brandon. Derrick is going to do it a little differently. So within their strengths you try to keep balance and everything else. But there are certain things that each of them do better than others, just like anything; any person.

Q: Do you consider that sort of a three-man group or do you have Reuben and Danny….?

A: Right now it is more of a three-man. It certainly can change. If there was a need, but to be honest with you, it’s hard to play three.

http://www.giants.com/news/transcripts/sto...?story_id=28355

I think Gilbride was being pretty honest. All three of these guys are going to get touches with Jacobs getting a slightly higher percentage, especially early in games. Bradshaw is getting drafted earlier than Ward because he has the higher upside, but there's no definitive way to say how things will be divided at this point. As Gilbride says it will be subject to the situation, who gets hot and who gets nicked.

Ward is the primary back up and will play a little every game to spell Jacobs. I would think Bradshaw will see some change of pace time as well. I would go with Ward because if gets hurt then Ward would be a major benefactor.

With Jacobs healthy expect Bradshaw to see more action. If Jacobs gets hurt Ward should see a bigger workload.

From what I saw of the Giants last year, Bradshaw is more talented than Ward. Maybe significantly.

I think Bradshaw has lead back ability, and that if I was the Giants, I'd give him the ball as a lot more than Ward.

I picked up Bradshaw with the hopes he develops into NYG starting RB in 2009. Jacobs and Ward are FA after 2008. We can expect them to be run into the ground and Bradshaw to be given a chance to start in 2009.
Besides you owning Bradshaw in a fantasy league, is there any decent reason you expect this?

From what I saw of the Giants last year, Bradshaw is more talented than Ward. Maybe significantly.I think Bradshaw has lead back ability, and that if I was the Giants, I'd give him the ball as a lot more than Ward.
Weird I was thinking the opposite. Ward grinds it out and is a good all round back. When I see Bradshaw I think of a exciting player like Leon Washington or Jerious Norwood but one who would not make a good full time back.

From what I saw of the Giants last year, Bradshaw is more talented than Ward. Maybe significantly.I think Bradshaw has lead back ability, and that if I was the Giants, I'd give him the ball as a lot more than Ward.
Weird I was thinking the opposite. Ward grinds it out and is a good all round back. When I see Bradshaw I think of a exciting player like Leon Washington or Jerious Norwood but one who would not make a good full time back.
I don't disagree with anything you say at all, but I think Bradshaw has the build that a Norwood doesn't have. I think he can handle 18 carries a game, etc.

Besides you owning Bradshaw in a fantasy league, is there any decent reason you expect this?
Just trying to predict the future upside of each and noticed jacobs' and ward's expiring contracts. ward just re-signed this past off season for 1 year while talks with jacobs have gone nowhere. if they bring in a new RB through free agency or the draft i will reconsider, but witht he stable of backs they have right now, i like for bradshaw to emerge late this year and into next year.

When I draft Bradshaw this yr... I'm drafting him w/ the idea that hes going to get a larger role in the future.

Either Late in the season when the big man is worn down, or maybe he'll be competing for the starting gig next yr.

If you want to handcuff BJ... draft Ward

When I draft Bradshaw this yr... I'm drafting him w/ the idea that hes going to get a larger role in the future.Either Late in the season when the big man is worn down, or maybe he'll be competing for the starting gig next yr.If you want to handcuff BJ... draft Ward
Ward looked good last year, but he seemed less durable than Jacobs

When I draft Bradshaw this yr... I'm drafting him w/ the idea that hes going to get a larger role in the future.Either Late in the season when the big man is worn down, or maybe he'll be competing for the starting gig next yr.If you want to handcuff BJ... draft Ward
Ward looked good last year, but he seemed less durable than Jacobs
It may have *seemed* that way because Ward only played in 8 games, while Jacobs was a true warrior, managing to suit up for 11 games.Aside: I didn't know (until just now) that JR Redmond and Ward are cousins.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Bradshaw but it seems he is still having trouble holding on to the ball. I am sure he is working on that issue with the coaches but until he proves that fumbling will not be an issue he will remain entrenched behind Ward. That is not to say he won't get any touches but he will be limited.

I like Bradshaw but it seems he is still having trouble holding on to the ball. I am sure he is working on that issue with the coaches but until he proves that fumbling will not be an issue he will remain entrenched behind Ward. That is not to say he won't get any touches but he will be limited.
Not worried but Fumbles... TC helped Tiki, I'm sure he could work his magic w/ Bradshaw

With Jacobs healthy expect Bradshaw to see more action. If Jacobs gets hurt Ward should see a bigger workload.
Jacobs looked pretty healthy with his 21 carries tonight.And Ward had 9 carries to Bradshaw's.......0.Anyone have any idea why Bradshaw got so little action?P.S. Not calling you out, Chaka, your post was just the first one I ran across nicely stating the pro-Bradshaw position. :lmao:

Jacobs looked pretty healthy with his 21 carries tonight.

And Ward had 9 carries to Bradshaw's.......0.

Anyone have any idea why Bradshaw got so little action?
He was slightly hurt earlier this week, so my **hope** is that they had the game so well in hand that they decided to sit him because they could.

He was slightly hurt earlier this week, so my **hope** is that they had the game so well in hand that they decided to sit him because they could.
Yeah, Bradshaw is a little nicked right now and they didn't really need him.

Ward is 2nd on the depth chart, so this should not be a surprise.
What seemed odd to me was that he was not on the field for ANY of the passing downs. Because of this there could be something to the fact that he was on the injury report and listed as probable and only returned the opening kickoff.

Jacobs looked pretty healthy with his 21 carries tonight.And Ward had 9 carries to Bradshaw's.......0.Anyone have any idea why Bradshaw got so little action?P.S. Not calling you out, Chaka, your post was just the first one I ran across nicely stating the pro-Bradshaw position. :popcorn:
No worries.I expected to see Bradshaw as pretty much a third down option and I still expect to see that. With the way the Giants were controlling the line of scrimmage and the game they really didn't need to mix it up and call to many passes for the RBs, instead they just decided to bludgeon the defense into submission. It guess makes sense that Ward would get the opportunity to spell Jacobs in that situation as he is more similar to Jacobs in stature than Bradshaw. In close games, or when the Giants are trailing I would still expect to see more of Bradshaw than Ward.

One item that I haven't seen discussed re: Bradshaw is the effect of his 30-day jail term during the offseason. I mention this b/c of the impact jail time seems to have on athletes when they return. Recall the Jamal Lewis experience: it took Lewis over a year to return to form after his stint in the box. I was told by a nutritionist that this may have to do with the diet that prisoners consume -- low grade stuff -- and their lack of a supervised training regimen. Bradshaw is a young guy, and he was only 30 days up the river, but I expect him to get off to a slow start and deal with some minor health problems early in the season. Watch for him on waivers midseason, when coaches are forced to dump him to fill in for bye week, and then scoop him up, as I expect him to take on a much greater role down the stretch. He is far more talented and explosive than Ward, and has the skill set and body type to serve as an every-down back. As a Jacobs owner and Giants fan, this is my strategy anyway.

Bradshaw is getting 4th quarter work. Ward and Jacobs pound away at the D to soften them up.

This still looks like one of the best rushing attacks(all combined) in football and that it'll be very hard for any team to shut them down.

Bradshaw got some great opportunities in week 2 but IIRC Ward had better opportunities in week 1.

Bradshaw is getting 4th quarter work. Ward and Jacobs pound away at the D to soften them up.This still looks like one of the best rushing attacks(all combined) in football and that it'll be very hard for any team to shut them down.Bradshaw got some great opportunities in week 2 but IIRC Ward had better opportunities in week 1.
So if you had 2 of the 3 of on your roster, and had one of your other RBs on a bye, would you hesitate to start both of them? Which would you prefer having, Jacobs/Ward or Jacobs/Bradshaw?

Bradshaw is getting 4th quarter work. Ward and Jacobs pound away at the D to soften them up.This still looks like one of the best rushing attacks(all combined) in football and that it'll be very hard for any team to shut them down.Bradshaw got some great opportunities in week 2 but IIRC Ward had better opportunities in week 1.
So if you had 2 of the 3 of on your roster, and had one of your other RBs on a bye, would you hesitate to start both of them? Which would you prefer having, Jacobs/Ward or Jacobs/Bradshaw?
I have Jacobs and Ward in a few leagues.With Ward I also get the handcuff should Jacobs go down. I haven't forgotten how well he did last year in that role either.Bradshaw is exciting but there's something gimmicky about him that makes me think it'll be hard week to week in FF.

Bradshaw will be the situational guy when the offense bogs down as he presents a much different look. In domes, good weather, when the 3 wr sets are more common, he will see more reps. I have he and Ward in case BJac goes down. In other words, he is going to be streaky.

So who would benefit the most if Jacobs goes down? Who is the handcuff?
DWard I think. He got the reps and looked strong doing it in the abscence of Jacobs last year.Bradshaw's plainly a player though, but Ward got the looks over him and Ryan Grant who was the Giants #4 back last pre :lmao:

I have Jacobs and Ward in a few leagues.With Ward I also get the handcuff should Jacobs go down. I haven't forgotten how well he did last year in that role either.Bradshaw is exciting but there's something gimmicky about him that makes me think it'll be hard week to week in FF.
Bradshaw's an important special teams cog, but he's definately NOT a gimmick player. He has the build and ability to be an every down back.The questions here are, who's the number 2, and based on coaches preference and blocking, its Ward, but I think Bradshaw's the most talented back the Giants have.

For the people who want to know what is going on with the Giants without an agenda, here is MY opinion as someone who watches every Giant game a few times.

As I stated before the season, things are about the same. I expect Jacobs to get the majority of carries, but you will see Ward come in and give Jacobs a rest and even get a series to keep him fresh. I think you will also see Bradshaw get the same thing and match up Bradshaw depending on the opponent and situation. I don't think Coughlin would be hesitant to use any of the backs as the majority guy if the situation presents itself.

Things to look at:

The Giants went with Jacobs for every carry he was rested for for the 1st 2 quarters. They did allow one series for Ward to keep Jacobs fresh *(and this is smart if you are the Giants as Ward is effective)

Bradshaw is their best 3rd down back in terms of catching the ball, but the main dilemma is that Jacobs is BY FAR their most effective blocker for 3rd down so the Giants will mix it up. You might have seen a 3rd down play where Ward let a defender get to Manning for a sack as he blew his assignment on the block.

The Giants changed their entire package in the 4th quarter. For 3 quarters they lined up mostly in the a standard 1 TE, 1 FB and 2 receiver set with Jacobs or Ward. Ward was in for many 3rd down plays or longer yardage plays and got most of his yards on draws where there was a lot of room to run. In the 4th quarter they brought in their "spread package" where they went with no FB and 3 or 4 WR's with Bradshaw in their backfield. My personal opinion is the Giants are better in the spread because their 3rd and 4th receivers are more valuable than Toomer (who didn't drop any balls but never stretches the D or gets separation with 1 on 1 coverage). I also think that the OL does a good job of blowing open holes and using the spread a little more would be smart. The Bradshaw TD run was a gaping hole that he didn't even have to make a move or break an arm tackle on. Both Jacobs and Ward had some similar holes even if they had a few moves and arm tackles to go through the OL did a great job.

All 3 backs are good and without getting too crazy are kind of similar to Csonka (Jacobs) , Kick (Ward) and Morris (Bradshaw). Just for fun, maybe Plax is their Warfield They will all be used and kept fresh.

If the Giants are behind I would expect more Bradshaw andf I would also expect a little more Ward when the down distance in long. At the end zone or short yardage I would expect more Jacobs and I would epxect more Jacobs on 1st down plays as long as he is rested...and Ward will be a guy who could score some points but is more valuable if Jacobs went down (I know it must be shocking to many that he is still standing up right now).

The Giants have a rare luxury and should be leaning on teams and wearing them out with fresh and good running backs.

Bradshaw's an important special teams cog, but he's definately NOT a gimmick player. He has the build and ability to be an every down back.The questions here are, who's the number 2, and based on coaches preference and blocking, its Ward, but I think Bradshaw's the most talented back the Giants have.
He may be able to be an everydown back. I just said there's something gimmicky about him that would make it hard to get week to week production from him. He had zero points in week 1.It's funny how people keep calling him the most talented back yet the Giants continue to think he's 3rd. Some real Bradshaw love at these boards

Bri said:
NY/NJMFDIVER said:
Bri said:
3nOut said:
Bri said:
He may be able to be an everydown back. I just said there's something gimmicky about him that would make it hard to get week to week production from him. He had zero points in week 1.It's funny how people keep calling him the most talented back yet the Giants continue to think he's 3rd. Some real Bradshaw love at these boards
Its just when you say gimmicky, I think of players like Ironhead Heyward or Dave Meggett, guys that definately have a place and are able to have success when used properly but are not every down players, largely based on their bodies not holding up. I don't think Bradshaw fits that mold.I mean, in Jacobs, the Giants have a prototype, potentially new era back. The guy is just freaking massive, and is quick enough to warrant carries. I can see wanting to exploit him, and what you've seen of him is what you'll keep seeing, a brusier who's talented in his own right but also serves to wear down and wear out defenses. As for Bradshaw not playing, I'll say this, Coughlin is old school and he's got a ring, so I won't argue with him, but i think there are several instances of guys bringing along guys slower than the fanbase would like but Coughlin is doing something right. This is Bradshaw's second year, and I think you'll only see his role expand. I like all three of these guys, but I'm trying to give an honest assessment as a fan who'll watch this game and team a little closer. Bradshaw has the talent but Ward will get the touches. What I value from a fantasy perspective is opportunity, but I wouldn't be suprised and I'd almost expect Bradshaw to outright outgain Ward from scrimmage this year. Not because Ward is bad or because Bradshaw will overtake him, but because Bradshaw is that explosive. Assuming everyone's healthy, I see the breakdown of touches out of the backfield as follows:Jacobs: 65 percentWard: 20 percentBradshaw 15 percent

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess that I look at it a little differently.

Bradshaw didn't play week 1. I think that he played week 2 only because the Giants were comfortably ahead.

So far year to date the rushing attempts (not touches) comes out Jacobs 36, Ward 17 and Bradsaw 5. Without the blowout win that caused Bradshaw to get

his 5 carries, I wouldn't call this a RBBC. Jacobs is the main back and Ward comes in to give him a rest occasionally. Without the garbage time carries that

Bradshaw got, Jacobs is getting 68% of the carries and Ward is getting 32% of the carries.

Barring an injury (which given Jacobs history is a real possibility), I would expect the rest of the season to play out the same way. If the Giants falls behind by

a large amount, then it might change due to Ward and Bradshaw being better receivers.

I guess that I look at it a little differently.Bradshaw didn't play week 1. I think that he played week 2 only because the Giants were comfortably ahead.So far year to date the rushing attempts (not touches) comes out Jacobs 36, Ward 17 and Bradsaw 5. Without the blowout win that caused Bradshaw to gethis 5 carries, I wouldn't call this a RBBC. Jacobs is the main back and Ward comes in to give him a rest occasionally. Without the garbage time carries thatBradshaw got, Jacobs is getting 68% of the carries and Ward is getting 32% of the carries.Barring an injury (which given Jacobs history is a real possibility), I would expect the rest of the season to play out the same way. If the Giants falls behind bya large amount, then it might change due to Ward and Bradshaw being better receivers.
He scored the first TD when the Giants were up 20-13. I hardly call that garbage time.

Bradshaw's main value right now is that he's the only 1 of the 3 that is signed to play in 2009. It will be interesting to see if the Giants bring back Jacobs or Ward next year.

Users who are viewing this thread