What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Depthcharts Upgrade (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
One of the things we consistently heard from people was how ugly and cluttered our old Depth Charts were. 

We listened and we've done a revamp to make them much more usable. It was significant work and cost but super stoked with how these came out. 

They also now finally look great on mobile where they'd been pretty awful in the past. 

https://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/depthchart.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Joe,

The changes look great.  A suggestion I have is to mark new players from last year some how.  Maybe it would make it too busy, looks very clean now, but it would make it easy to update my sheets.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

James

Hey Joe,

The changes look great.  A suggestion I have is to mark new players from last year some how.  Maybe it would make it too busy, looks very clean now, but it would make it easy to update my sheets.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

James
Thanks James. I like that idea for possibly in the future. It's a fine balance between info and clarity. 

Joe Bryant said:
One of the things we consistently heard from people was how ugly and cluttered our old Depth Charts were. 
I may be the wrong person to weigh in since I have been a fan of your depth chart page overall over the years. If I had a quibble it seemed to me that they sometimes took awhile to get updated to reflect injuries/FA signings/etc. Really like the new changes. Some of your best content imo are the player pages and their projections and that's a way in which a free depth charts page can lead directly to subscriptions. In particular I've always liked the convention of listing players in blue for starters, and green for positional battles or potential job shares. If I were to make a suggestion I would put the players that are definitely "out" for the next game in red text and players that appear on the injury report but it's not known if they will play or not in orange.

Seems to me @abbottjamesris making a great suggestion. Maybe new players could be in bold, and rookies could be italicized(and bold obviously). That would certainly help folks in dynasty leagues which I would think represents a fair amount of your hardcore audience. The place where this needs to be implemented first is on the "Coaches" section of your depth chart page. Knowing which teams are implementing a new system is a pretty big deal, especially in IDP leagues. It would also be nice if there was a short paragraph with each HC/OC/DC on their "player page" to give a brief analysis on what might be changing even if the coaches were staying. For instance last year there were rumors of SEA changing the offense to be more pass happy(and it was.... for awhile). Obviously this would involve some crystal ball work(that's more or less what FF is after all) but not all OC's/etc are created equally.

One last thing, it would be nice if the team names themselves were a hyperlink to your team season long projections before the season starts. Once the season starts change that to weekly team projection breakdown of all the individual players. I realize you can get to that information in other ways, but it seems pretty simple to allow subscribers to navigate to that information as easily as possible.

Anyway, the changes are already good as the page stands now. Those were just some thoughts that might make them even more useful and compelling for people considering a subscription.

I may be the wrong person to weigh in since I have been a fan of your depth chart page overall over the years. If I had a quibble it seemed to me that they sometimes took awhile to get updated to reflect injuries/FA signings/etc. Really like the new changes. Some of your best content imo are the player pages and their projections and that's a way in which a free depth charts page can lead directly to subscriptions. In particular I've always liked the convention of listing players in blue for starters, and green for positional battles or potential job shares. If I were to make a suggestion I would put the players that are definitely "out" for the next game in red text and players that appear on the injury report but it's not known if they will play or not in orange.

Seems to me @abbottjamesris making a great suggestion. Maybe new players could be in bold, and rookies could be italicized(and bold obviously). That would certainly help folks in dynasty leagues which I would think represents a fair amount of your hardcore audience. The place where this needs to be implemented first is on the "Coaches" section of your depth chart page. Knowing which teams are implementing a new system is a pretty big deal, especially in IDP leagues. It would also be nice if there was a short paragraph with each HC/OC/DC on their "player page" to give a brief analysis on what might be changing even if the coaches were staying. For instance last year there were rumors of SEA changing the offense to be more pass happy(and it was.... for awhile). Obviously this would involve some crystal ball work(that's more or less what FF is after all) but not all OC's/etc are created equally.

One last thing, it would be nice if the team names themselves were a hyperlink to your team season long projections before the season starts. Once the season starts change that to weekly team projection breakdown of all the individual players. I realize you can get to that information in other ways, but it seems pretty simple to allow subscribers to navigate to that information as easily as possible.

Anyway, the changes are already good as the page stands now. Those were just some thoughts that might make them even more useful and compelling for people considering a subscription.
Thanks @BoltBacker All good stuff there and we'll take a look. We're totally buried with a bunch of other things now so I can't say we'll be able to implement many changes on these but I agree those are all cool. Thanks. 

And for sure, there are still tweaks. (like the players are linking to the 2020 player page and such). But it's a good start. 

My two huge focuses on this were 

1. Cleaner look.

1.a. Looks good on mobile. 

Last edited by a moderator:
On the "speed up update" angle, we've made some changes there too.

Tom Pelissero was the first one with the news about 7:30 PM ET last night on Twitter with the Alualu signing in PIT. We had it early this morning. Hoping we can improve our updating here. 

And for sure, there are still tweaks. (like the players are linking to the 2020 player page and such). But it's a good start. 

My two huge focuses on this were 

1. Cleaner look.

1.a. Looks good on mobile. 
As far as #1 goes, it looks much cleaner & clearer to these old eyes on my desktop.

I can't speak to # 1a, as it's a wonder I can even make a phone call with my mobile. That, and texting, is about the limit of my abilities.

stumbled into them this morning and didnt even see this post til after.  it really does look much improved, and an enormous improvement for mobile users!  thanks footballguys, best in the biz!!

Users who are viewing this thread