What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Denard Robinson - Dynasty value (1 Viewer)

Lott's Fingertip

Footballguy
So Denard now has three straight good games... what is he going for in dynasty leagues now? What would you pay for him, what would you sell him for?

I'm pondering selling him for a mid/late (probably pick 6-9) 2015 1st rounder due to the perceived strength of the draft class, but I'm on the fence now...

So Denard now has three straight good games... what is he going for in dynasty leagues now? What would you pay for him, what would you sell him for?

I'm pondering selling him for a mid/late (probably pick 6-9) 2015 1st rounder due to the perceived strength of the draft class, but I'm on the fence now...
Just updated my RB rankings on Saturday and put Denard at 17. Though, for whatever it's worth, I've consistently been the highest staff member on him- I suspect his market value is still a bit lower than that right now.

Fun fact: From the beginning of 2013 to week 6 of 2014 (22 games), Jacksonville RBs had only had two games with 10+ carries and 5+ yards per carry. Denard Robinson has now reached that mark in each of Jacksonville's last three games.

:fishing:

A 1st for a still unproven, "gimmick" player? If you can get that...you are a jedi.
At what point is a player no longer unproven? Obviously Denard won't be traded for a top 5 pick, but how proven are rookies outside of the top half of the first round? Would anybody SELL Denard for a 2nd at this point?

Most rushing attempts over the last three weeks:

68- Andre Ellington

66- DeMarco Murray

64- Mark Ingram

57- Denard Robinson

55- Alfred Morris / Jamaal Charles / Arian Foster

Most rushing yards over the last three weeks:

348- DeMarco Murray

329- Denard Robinson

309- Arian Foster

288- Mark Ingram

254- Andre Ellington

Highest YPC over the last three weeks (minimum 25 carries):

5.77- Denard Robinson

5.61- Arian Foster

5.27- DeMarco Murray

5.27- Chris Johnson

5.26- Matt Forte

Highest YPC over the entire season (minimum 50 carries):

5.39- Justin Forsett

5.16- Khiry Robinson

5.11- Arian Foster

5.04- DeMarco Murray

4.98- Denard Robinson

Someone offered him to me for a 2nd. I wasn't interested in giving up a 2nd for him. And I'm a Jags fan. He was a QB/gimmick player in college. I'm not a fan of players switching positions once they get to the pros. Never seems to work out for them. Jacksonville doesn't have much invested in him either (wasn't he a 6th round pick?). I don't trust they would keep him at the role he is in now if they had other options. I suspect he will be replaced by a shiny new toy next year. But with all the RBBCs in the NFL now, he will probably maintain some sort of role so he could have value there. I'm just not in the group that thinks he is worth a 1st rounder. But if you could get one, especially with his perceived value on the rise, that would be a major win for you. Just my opinion. He's also on the smaller side which concerns me some. He's not used to taking hits that a typical RB takes...but that could be something in his favor.

Someone offered him to me for a 2nd. I wasn't interested in giving up a 2nd for him. And I'm a Jags fan. He was a QB/gimmick player in college. I'm not a fan of players switching positions once they get to the pros. Never seems to work out for them. Jacksonville doesn't have much invested in him either (wasn't he a 6th round pick?). I don't trust they would keep him at the role he is in now if they had other options. I suspect he will be replaced by a shiny new toy next year. But with all the RBBCs in the NFL now, he will probably maintain some sort of role so he could have value there. I'm just not in the group that thinks he is worth a 1st rounder. But if you could get one, especially with his perceived value on the rise, that would be a major win for you. Just my opinion. He's also on the smaller side which concerns me some. He's not used to taking hits that a typical RB takes...but that could be something in his favor.
What players have switched positions and demonstrated the success that Robinson has in this big of a role (even for just a few games)?

Hines Ward was a QB in college. First name that came to mind. And while switching positions upon reaching the pros is relatively rare, there are lots of guys who switched positions in college- typically from QB to something else. John Lynch and Anquan Boldin were both former quarterbacks. Ryan Tannehill was a former wide receiver. Jordan Reed was a quarterback for a while. Again, just a few names that come to mind.

Edit: Mike Pouncey played some defensive tackle in college. Matt Lepsis was a TE in college, got moved to OL when he came into the league, and started 9 seasons at right and left tackle for the Broncos. Shannon Sharpe was a college WR who was too big and slow to play the position in the pros. Mike Anderson switched back and forth between RB and FB. If I'm mentioning a lot of Broncos, that's just because that's the team I'm most familiar with- I'm sure fans of other franchises could give more examples, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vikings first round pick Anthony Barr started out as a RB in college and he's doing pretty well now as a rookie LB...

Over this three week run, Denard has compiled the following:

vs. Cleveland (22-127 with a TD)

vs. Miami (18-108; 1-10)

@ Cincinnati (17-94 with a TD; 2-10)

What those stat lines don't tell you is the consistent productivity of Robinson. By my calculation (looking at the play-by-play from each of those three games), 45 of Denard's 57 runs have gained at least three yards; 31 of his 57 carries have gained at least four.

On 79% of his carries, he's gaining three yards. On 54% he's gaining four. He's only had 4 carries in the past 3 games for negative yardage, meaning 93% of his carries are for positive yardage.

His long run over the past three weeks was 41 yards, with a 39-yarder yesterday as well. But Denard isn't a guy that runs for 1 or 2 before hitting one for 30+. He's a consistent grinder than can STILL hit you for 30+ on any carry. That kind of consistency makes for all kinds of fantasy goodness.

Hines Ward was a QB in college. First name that came to mind. And while switching positions upon reaching the pros is relatively rare, there are lots of guys who switched positions in college- typically from QB to something else. John Lynch and Anquan Boldin were both former quarterbacks. Ryan Tannehill was a former wide receiver. Jordan Reed was a quarterback for a while. Again, just a few names that come to mind.

Edit: Mike Pouncey played some defensive tackle in college. Matt Lepsis was a TE in college, got moved to OL when he came into the league, and started 9 seasons at right and left tackle for the Broncos. Shannon Sharpe was a college WR who was too big and slow to play the position in the pros. Mike Anderson switched back and forth between RB and FB. If I'm mentioning a lot of Broncos, that's just because that's the team I'm most familiar with- I'm sure fans of other franchises could give more examples, too.
Wasn't Brian Urlacher a safety?

:fishing:

A 1st for a still unproven, "gimmick" player? If you can get that...you are a jedi.
well, you got the "fishing" part right anyway.

TBH, I thought Denard could be a Randle El type, or at best Sproles-light / Woodhead. I think I was wrong.

Don't know that he's a surefire RB1 or even RB2 next year, but no rookies are sure bets either.

What are the RBBC chances here? Gerhart did a lot better in his old Minn role last week but only got 6 touches. Who would get a goalline carry if they had one?

Denard this year reminds me a lot of Ellington last year.

What are the RBBC chances here? Gerhart did a lot better in his old Minn role last week but only got 6 touches. Who would get a goalline carry if they had one?

Denard got both of the only carries within ten yards of the endzone against the Bengals, scoring on the second from five yards out.

They don't have a lot invested in terms of a contract but they have put a lot of time and energy into converting him from a QB to a WR then RB. You only do that if you feel he's a worthwhile investment and so far he's making them look good for taking the time. Who knows what will happen down the line and I definitely think they'll get some more RB depth since they basically have none now but he's looking a lot better than I would've thought. Also, the Jags have a ton of holes to fill so I'd be very surprised if they use an early pick on RB next year.

Ditto... in fact, I think people are way too quick to look at his measurables on ESPN and the Jags website and dismiss him as a COP guy. I've seen Rotoworld and others already do this even recently. Somehow most places have him listed as 6'0" and 197lbs. At the combine he was 5'10" 199lbs. How'd he grow 2 inches and lose 3 lbs? In fact, all the reports from this preseason were that Denard was up to 212 lbs.

Draft Scout lists Denard as:

5104 in height (5'10.5"), 199 lbs

40-time - 4.34 (faster than the NFL combine results site shows -- 4.43; though I've heard the NFL revises 40 times and Draft Scout updates them)

10-yard split - 1.55

Vertical - 36.5"

Broad was 10' 3"

3-Cone - 7.09

Short Shuttle - 4.22

For comparison (from a combination of Draft Scout and Mock Draftable):

Prospect A

Height - 5' 9 1/4"

Weight - 199

40-time - 4.52 (pro-day)

10-yard - 1.56

Vert - 34"

Broad - 10' 2"

3-cone - not completed

Short Shuttle - not completed

That prospect was Andre Ellington. I'm sure Ellington is a little bigger now than he was as a prospect as well, but the profile is similar regardless...

Ever since denard was given the starting role the jags have been way more competitive.

I was skeptical after his first game but then I watched highlights from weeks 7 and 8 and couldn't keep him on my bench for week 9. He really jumps out at you as a talented runner.

I also noticed that the jax coaching staff understands how to use him. They're not just running him up the middle like the Titans did for years with Cj. There is creativity in the run game.

Rt now it would have to be a high 1st rd pick for me to give up Robinson (especially BC I own him for $1). He's been one of the best backs in the league for 3 straight weeks. And he's still growing and learning the nuances of the position.

I think his arrow is still pointing up.

Um.. JJ Watt was a Tight End at CMU before transferring to Wisconsin.. mind you he played both DE and TE in high school.

Pretty recent example of a player switching positions playing at a high level....

Some of Gerhart's work was just because Robinson got dinged early on. For what it's worth, Jacksonville only ran two plays from inside Cincinnati's 10-yard line all game, and both plays were Robinson runs (a gain of two and a 5-yard TD).

Don't see why it matter what position he played in college at this point. That was years ago and he's seemingly made a successful transition to RB in the NFL. He's not the first player to change positions in the NFL and won't be the last. Bottom line, he looks like an effective RB.

As far as his dynasty value, I'm torn. I really like what he's shown thus far but I also worry heavily on what Jax does with the RB position this offseason. This draft is loaded with RB talent and they could easily snatch up a very good RB in round 3 or so. Hell, they could take one in round 1. We don't know. He's shown promise but will that be sustained? Does Jax really see him as a long term answer? I don't think he will ever be one of the top RBs in the NFL but he can be an effective one none the less. I'm concerned that eventually a better talent comes around and dethrones him sooner than we think.

If you watched Denard play in college, you know it's not that big of a stretch for him to switch to RB.

He's the all-time leading rusher among college QBs. His 3 years as a full-time starter, his rushing lines were 256-1702, 221-1176, and 177-1266. He ran between the tackles more than a typical QB, took some big hits, got back up and ran again. And since then he's put on 15 pounds.

Nobody who's seen the guy play would think it's some sort of gimmick for him to be a running back. He has tremendous natural ability as a runner.

Don't see why it matter what position he played in college at this point. That was years ago and he's seemingly made a successful transition to RB in the NFL. He's not the first player to change positions in the NFL and won't be the last. Bottom line, he looks like an effective RB.

As far as his dynasty value, I'm torn. I really like what he's shown thus far but I also worry heavily on what Jax does with the RB position this offseason. This draft is loaded with RB talent and they could easily snatch up a very good RB in round 3 or so. Hell, they could take one in round 1. We don't know. He's shown promise but will that be sustained? Does Jax really see him as a long term answer? I don't think he will ever be one of the top RBs in the NFL but he can be an effective one none the less. I'm concerned that eventually a better talent comes around and dethrones him sooner than we think.
Yeah, I can agree with this.

It's just hard, for me at least, to give up a 1st round pick for a RB nowadays. So many RBBCs and offenses are airing it out a lot more. Seems like the stud RB has been replaced with a stud TE. And as you mentioned, Robinson was a late round pick, and they kinda ended up with him as their RB due to ineffectiveness and injury. I'd say it is a given they bring in more competition in the off season or via the draft. But there are plenty of owners who don't value rookie picks and even though he has a small sample size, that is enough for them to roll the dice with their 1st rounder perhaps. Like I said, my gut tells me he's probably just a flash in the pan gimmick player, so I can't see giving up much for him (I value rookie picks). But he'll still have a role regardless I think...hopefully because he seems to have earned it. I like what I've seen from him, I just have zero faith in coaches to keep on letting it ride.

The NFL draft and free agency deals blows to a lot of RB's values. Even a lot of more proven RB's could see their value diminished by the addition of another RB taking their job or cutting into their load. I don't see his situation differently than most NFL RB's in that regard. It's a position where the value of a player can change quickly. See Stacy, Zac.

For what it's worth I listened to podcast from October 22nd, Move the Sticks, with the Jaguars GM and mentioned that as much as Denard had improved he felt he was just scratching the surface. With Gerhart locked up as a solid backup, I just don't think drafting a RB is high on this teams priority list.

I don't know that drafting a RB is high on their priority list, either. BPA seems like it might be the approach after perhaps addressing the oline. It's very conceivable to me that in round 3 or so that BPA is a RB. I don't look at is as a team targeting an upgrade at the position but just pouncing on an opportunity that presents itself. While that might happen with several others, it doesn't happen to RBs that are very good at the top of their position. Stacy is a good example because I kind of feel the same about Robinson right now as I did Stacy last year. As much as I liked Stacy his accent was greatly due to opportunity. Granted he had to display the ability to capitalize on that opportunity and for a 5th rounder that is rare. None the less, I never felt Stacy was going to have sustainability as a starter. He's an adequate back but not special. Those players tend to be replaced much more readily. I'm not saying this will happen to Robinson. I don't have a good enough feel for it yet. I'm just not feeling this is out of the woods.

as an owner in a couple of dynasty leagues, I'm just enjoying the ride. He's a 24 year old RB that is getting +/- 20 touches a game. In a vacuum, what is that worth in a dynasty? How many RBs are getting that kind of usage now? If you need a RB for a playoff run, I'd rather send a 1st for a 24 year old because of the residual value in 2015+ than to get a year end rental like FJax/Gore/JBell

I don't know that drafting a RB is high on their priority list, either. BPA seems like it might be the approach after perhaps addressing the oline. It's very conceivable to me that in round 3 or so that BPA is a RB. I don't look at is as a team targeting an upgrade at the position but just pouncing on an opportunity that presents itself. While that might happen with several others, it doesn't happen to RBs that are very good at the top of their position. Stacy is a good example because I kind of feel the same about Robinson right now as I did Stacy last year. As much as I liked Stacy his accent was greatly due to opportunity. Granted he had to display the ability to capitalize on that opportunity and for a 5th rounder that is rare. None the less, I never felt Stacy was going to have sustainability as a starter. He's an adequate back but not special. Those players tend to be replaced much more readily. I'm not saying this will happen to Robinson. I don't have a good enough feel for it yet. I'm just not feeling this is out of the woods.
Would be curious as to your response to the success rates he's posting on his runs right now. Unlike Stacy who compiled with poor efficiency, Denard is averaging nearly 6 per since being given the reins. He's also very similarly built to Andre Ellington. His athletic profile is pretty stout, and he's shown he's not just a HR threat.

That's been the most convincing to me - the amount of 3+ (79%) and 4+ (54%) runs he's putting together with the 30+ yarders.

Henry Melton is another guy who switched positions. RB through most of his college career at Texas, bulked up and moved to DE as a senior (where he was ok but not great), bulked up some more and moved to DT with the Bears (where he made the Pro Bowl his third season).

Denard Robinson was 2nd in his draft class in career rushing yards (behind only Montee Ball), so it's not that big a surprise that he would figure out how to run as a halfback. He was on the small side for a RB coming out of college (though still within the range where some successful RBs come from), but word is that he's bulked up to a more typical NFL RB size. And it sure looks like Jacksonville is using him as a standard RB now, not a gadgety "offensive weapon" (including 41 snaps this season pass blocking, where he has been solid according to PFF). RB20ish seems about right for him in dynasty.

Isaac Bruce was a QB in college. Worked out well for him.

Wasn't William Perry a cooler?

Wasn't Jeremiah a bullfrog?

No, he was a refrigerator.

Users who are viewing this thread