What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Democratic leaders call for Omar to apologize for 'anti-Semitic tropes' (1 Viewer)

Both this hypothetical and her tweet come off as ill-conceived, knee-jerk statements. Both can we walked back but, overall, look pretty silly.
I think you are agreeing with me, but not sure. Could also be that you hated my hypothetical. 

I am 98% certain you agree, 2% unsure. Or maybe I am 98% unsure, and 2% certain. But that is what makes it so real. 

Both this hypothetical and her tweet come off as ill-conceived, knee-jerk statements. Both can we walked back but, overall, look pretty silly.
Also, if some new person wandered into the covid-19 thread and said something about covid-19 alongside something about the flu, I'd be completely cool with them walking it back once it was explained to them why that framing gets people on edge.  Some folks might not be aware of the existence of "It's just the flu, bro" just like some internet-illiterate people might not be aware that "all lives matter" is coded as racist.  Generally, we should be gracious about this sort of thing when it involves norms within the discourse that we're all familiar with but the speaker might not be.  Explain it, let them rephrase, and then just move on.

Ilhan Omar is the opposite of that, though.  She's the guy who was in the covid thread in March 2020 comparing it to the flu, pimping hydroxychloroquine in June, arguing against masks in the fall, and telling us how vaccines turn you into Magneto last week.  And then she drops a line about how the flu has killed more people throughout history than covid and expects us to take that statement at literal face value as if there wasn't a history there.  No thanks.  You burned through all your good will already.

Also, if some new person wandered into the covid-19 thread and said something about covid-19 alongside something about the flu, I'd be completely cool with them walking it back once it was explained to them why that framing gets people on edge.  Some folks might not be aware of the existence of "It's just the flu, bro" just like some internet-illiterate people might not be aware that "all lives matter" is coded as racist.  Generally, we should be gracious about this sort of thing when it involves norms within the discourse that we're all familiar with but the speaker might not be.  Explain it, let them rephrase, and then just move on.

Ilhan Omar is the opposite of that, though.  She's the guy who was in the covid thread in March 2020 comparing it to the flu, pimping hydroxychloroquine in June, arguing against masks in the fall, and telling us how vaccines turn you into Magneto last week.  And then she drops a line about how the flu has killed more people throughout history than covid and expects us to take that statement at literal face value as if there wasn't a history there.  No thanks.  You burned through all your good will already.
Whoa....hold on there partner.  Vaccines can turn you into Magneto?  Been fully vaccinated for 1.5 months now.  I just tried pulling my coffee spoon from the counter to the couch where I'm sitting and nothing happened....YET.  Although, maybe the spoon moved a little - I can't be sure at this point.

When can I expect these superpowers to manifest?  Or do I have to go thru some kind of torture test like Deadpool to bring them out completely?

Omar back at it.

ILHAN OMAR TELLS CNN: ‘I DON’T REGRET EQUATING US AND ISRAEL WITH THE TALIBAN, BLAMES JEWISH LAWMAKERS

The interview has sparked swift backlash on social media.

"Omar's comments draw on classic antisemitic themes about Jewish clannishness, the notion that Jews only look out for themselves. They're also plainly false," said Avi Mayer of the American Jewish Committee. "Jewish lawmakers have been on the front lines, fighting for human rights in America and globally."

"So Jews should learn from @IlhanMN what it's like to experience injustice?" questioned journalist Annika Rothstein. "No one can ever say Ilhan Omar didn't show the world exactly who and what she is."

The condemnation has not been solely from Jews. Asra Nomani, vice president of Parents Defending Education and cofounder of the Muslim Reform Movement, had perhaps the harshest criticism of Omar.

From the NY Post:

Tapper cited some of the congresswoman’s statements that have led to accusations that she is anti-Semitic. Tapper specifically cited a February 2019 tweet that stated the alliance between the US and Israel is “all about the Benjamins” and a 2012 message in which she claimed that Israel “has hypnotized the world, may Allah awaken the people and help them see the evil doings of Israel”.

“Do you understand why some of your fellow House Democrats, especially Jews, find that language anti-Semitic?” Tapper asked.

I’ve welcomed, you know, anytime my colleagues have asked to have a conversation, to learn from them, for them to learn from me,” Omar responded. “I think it’s really important for these members to realize that they haven’t been partners in justice. They haven’t been, you know, equally engaging in seeking justice around the world.

“And I think, you know, I will continue to do that,” she added. “It is important for me, as someone who knows what it feels like to experience injustice in ways that many of my colleagues don’t, to be a voice in finding accountability, asking for mechanisms for justice for those who are maligned, oppressed, and who have had injustice done to them.”

From the NY Post:

Tapper cited some of the congresswoman’s statements that have led to accusations that she is anti-Semitic. Tapper specifically cited a February 2019 tweet that stated the alliance between the US and Israel is “all about the Benjamins” and a 2012 message in which she claimed that Israel “has hypnotized the world, may Allah awaken the people and help them see the evil doings of Israel”.

“Do you understand why some of your fellow House Democrats, especially Jews, find that language anti-Semitic?” Tapper asked.

I’ve welcomed, you know, anytime my colleagues have asked to have a conversation, to learn from them, for them to learn from me,” Omar responded. “I think it’s really important for these members to realize that they haven’t been partners in justice. They haven’t been, you know, equally engaging in seeking justice around the world.

“And I think, you know, I will continue to do that,” she added. “It is important for me, as someone who knows what it feels like to experience injustice in ways that many of my colleagues don’t, to be a voice in finding accountability, asking for mechanisms for justice for those who are maligned, oppressed, and who have had injustice done to them.”
Well Biden just shook hands on "Iron Clad" support for Israel. So something has to give.

Don't worry -- somebody will be with you shortly to explain how this taken out of context or something.

Don't worry -- somebody will be with you shortly to explain how this taken out of context or something.
I culled what is hopefully the full text from The Post, who seemed to think the same thing I was, which is that the words don't need splicing or context. They're quite enough. 

How does someone who hates the western world get elected into the House?  It's like the ultimate troll
It's really staggering and stunning how much self-loathing there is in the general public, matched on the other side by a lack of any self-reflection. It's really quite staggering that the polar extremes seem to breed each sentiment.

How does someone who hates the western world get elected into the House?  It's like the ultimate troll
Well, brace yourself.  This is the future of the Democrat Party.  Vile people like her are getting elected every election on the Democrat side.  

It only used to be Bernie, then Warren, then Maxine Watters, then AOC and the Squad, then Mark Pocan and Cori Bush and there are plenty of others as well.  The salient point out of all this is that their ranks are GROWING every election, not shrinking.

Biden, Pelosi, Schumer, etc... are all Dinosaurs.  Once they're gone, the Democrat Party is going to need a name change.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, brace yourself.  This is the future of the Democrat Party.  Vile people like her are getting elected every election on the Democrat side.  

It only used to be Bernie, then Warren, then AOC and the Squad, the Mark Pocan and Cori Bush among others.  The salient point out of all this is that their ranks are GROWING every election, not shrinking.

Biden, Pelosi, Schumer, etc... are all Dinosaurs.  Once they're gone, the Democrat Party is going to need a name change.
I would like to think that Ms Omar is not the future of the Democratic Party. I would like to think that Ms Taylor Greene is not the future of the Republican Party. I’m not 100% sure that either statement is correct but for our nations sake I’d like to think so. 

I would like to think that Ms Omar is not the future of the Democratic Party. I would like to think that Ms Taylor Greene is not the future of the Republican Party. I’m not 100% sure that either statement is correct but for our nations sake I’d like to think so. 
MTG is night and day difference from the vile Omar. It's not even comparable.

On one level, it seems like we're sending worse and worse people to congress, but I suspect that these nimrods have always been there and we just didn't know it because the combination of a) party discipline and b) a responsible press and c) no social media meant that they were shoved into the attic with Crazy Aunt Harriet and never talked about again. 

The absence of muscular parties, and the emergence of an irresponsible press that's a stone's throw removed from social media gives these people much more influence.  It wouldn't surprise me to see one of the crazies emerge as a leading figure in their party not too far from now.  I mean, the GOP already had one so it's not like it's an absurd hypothetical or anything.

On one level, it seems like we're sending worse and worse people to congress, but I suspect that these nimrods have always been there and we just didn't know it because the combination of a) party discipline and b) a responsible press and c) no social media meant that they were shoved into the attic with Crazy Aunt Harriet and never talked about again. 

The absence of muscular parties, and the emergence of an irresponsible press that's a stone's throw removed from social media gives these people much more influence.  It wouldn't surprise me to see one of the crazies emerge as a leading figure in their party not too far from now.  I mean, the GOP already had one so it's not like it's an absurd hypothetical or anything.
 I kind of expect at more localized areas to have some nuts like Omar but it gets more and more concerning as they make their way up the food chain, so to speak.

Users who are viewing this thread