What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DeMarco Murray handcuff? (1 Viewer)

tsarc888

Footballguy
we know the propensity for injury with Murray, who is the best bet to be his handcuff at this point? or would it most likely be committee?

sounded like Dunbar was having a nice camp before he injury. He seems to be very close to returning yet some peg him more as a 3rd down type back. Randle was just drafted and is said to have the best between the tackles ability. Then Tanner is still there as well.

any thoughts on who to grab if can only roster 1?

why would be handcuffing murray in the first place? it's pretty likely that they'll just end up with some dunbar/randle/insert random free agent here RBBC in what's a fairly pass-happy offense

Wrong answer. A healthy Dunbar smokes all those others if/when Murray gets injured. Only valuable to Murray owners imo, else let him sit on the wire.

From observing the pre-season, I give Dunbar a "meh" grade (aka J.A.G.). Tanner has always run very hard and impressed when given the rock. He's currently the 2nd guy in the rotation (in week1), and looked OK. I was impressed with Randal (Randle?, too lazy to spell check), but as with all rookies I expect him to struggle in pass pro. Meaning with this team, less likely to get the nod in any circumstances when Tanner and Dunbar are there.

I fully expect Tanner to be given the shot if/when Murray misses time (and he's running abnormally wreckless, imo). Time will tell, very likely you would indeed see a horribly uselss split of 40/30/30 of Tanner/Dunbar/Randle. In one dynasty I've just gone all-in and own all 4 :P Not the strategy I'd suggest to anyone.

Who will it be ... we may need to know very soon.

I know nothing about the Cowboys RBs but taking a quick look

Dunbar - Is 188lbs and has already been injured a couple of times this season. Currently out with a hammy. I have a real hard time believing that Dallas could go from an offense built around a 6' 220lb RB to a 5'8" 188lb back ... I would think they would keep him as a change of pace (similar to the Denver RB situation)

Randle - Rookie 6' 198lbs is a bit small for his height. 11 for 17yds yesterday not very impressive but received the touches after Murray went down

Tanner - Good RB size 5'10" 208lbs more experience than the other 2 rbs ... not sure why he only got 1 carry last night but his 2.0 was higher than Randles

Just based on this and not knowing anything else about the situation ... I think I would rather take a chance on Tanner if Murray is out long

It'll be Tanner simply bc I landed Dunbar & Randle in a trade a week & a half ago. Those who look at the box score and see the 1.5 ypc will say Randle didn't do well with the 11 carries but it was the string of negative losses when he was just killing the clock as the skins were selling out to stop the run. His TD run was largely in part to the OL pushing him over the goal line when he got stood up but a TD nevertheless...

Longtime Cowboy fan here, so far the talk is Randle will be the guy. Murray has an MCL sprain, at least that is the early report. I have Murray on 1 of my teams, but my look elsewhere for a replacement. There are rumors going around about the Cowboys trading for MJD...you never know what Jerry Jones will do.

None are great. The Cowboys will chunk it more than ever now. Romo looks like a high end QB1 next week in Philly if Murray is out.

Fwiw I think its Dunbar (when healthy)>Randle>>>Tanner.

Longtime Cowboy fan here, so far the talk is Randle will be the guy. Murray has an MCL sprain, at least that is the early report. I have Murray on 1 of my teams, but my look elsewhere for a replacement. There are rumors going around about the Cowboys trading for MJD...you never know what Jerry Jones will do.
As a Cowboy fan ...What are your thoughts on Tanner and Randle?

randle got all the work last night... if dunbar can't go, randle probably is lead back... if dunabr is healthy... then maybe its a timeshare since he is coming off a hammy injury... who knows

All signs pointing to Randle. Dunbar didn't play last week because of a hammy, and Tanner had 1 carry for 2 yards.

Randle was drafted because of Murray's inability to stay healthy.

I wouldn't bet the house on Randle though.

anyone care that Garrett is calling Murray day to day?
And Murray himself is saying he could maybe practice Friday.With all the injury misinformation today alone (Graham knee - then foot, Cobb to miss 2 games with sprain - then 8 weeks with broken bone, Demarcus Ware to miss 1 game - then 4, etc.) it's so obvious every reporter is just talking out of their ###es trying to be "the first to report the story."

I'll take what the coach and player are saying over the ridiculous media any day.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 to 4 week injury sounds like. Anyone else think we don't see him until after his week 11 bye? Not exactly the quickest healer.

From what little i've researched, a severe MCL injury heels in 6-8 weeks. Murray's injury didn't look severe. I saw hardly any contact to his knee or see his knee bend in any weird way. I'd hope that Bramel goes into more detail on this for Tuesdays "injury debriefing" article. As a Murray owner, I'm torn between him being kept out this upcoming week to avoid him making it worse. Similar to what Detroit did with Bush a couple weeks ago.

For posts saying he's a slow healer isn't really fair. He broke his ankle 2 years ago and last year had a midfoot sprain which nobody comes back quickly from.

Uggh, too many guys who might be the guy it sounds like. Brandon Jacobs has to be a better pick-up for this week just based on opportunity, right?

anyone care that Garrett is calling Murray day to day?
And Murray himself is saying he could maybe practice Friday.With all the injury misinformation today alone (Graham knee - then foot, Cobb to miss 2 games with sprain - then 8 weeks with broken bone, Demarcus Ware to miss 1 game - then 4, etc.) it's so obvious every reporter is just talking out of their ###es trying to be "the first to report the story."

I'll take what the coach and player are saying over the ridiculous media any day.
i wouldnt buy anything murray says... last year he kept saying i'm close... for 5-6 straight weeks before finally coming back late in the season.

Beat writer on the local sports radio just said to expect Randle to be the primary back versus the Eagles. And that he expects Dallas to use him more in the passing game than Murray. Fwiw.

Randle is a must-add. I wanted to handcuff Murray since I drafted him, but it was hard to find evidence of who the clear handcuff even was so it was difficult to do so. Looks like Murray owners now have to spend a decent amount of FAAB if they want him, but who knows if Tanner will be in the mix in a RBBC and what happens when/if Dunbar returns too.

Randle is a must-add. I wanted to handcuff Murray since I drafted him, but it was hard to find evidence of who the clear handcuff even was so it was difficult to do so. Looks like Murray owners now have to spend a decent amount of FAAB if they want him, but who knows if Tanner will be in the mix in a RBBC and what happens when/if Dunbar returns too.
as a murray owner, i'm not breaking the bank on randle. i'll bid something but it wont be enough. best case scenario, hes has jacquizz upside. worst case: well 11 carries for 17 yards already happened. some reports talked about tanner taking short yardage and 3rd down work.... until murray or dunbar get healthy, i probably wont be invested in this running game.

The one thing that concerned me about Randle watching the game wasn't the lack of yards, it was that he looked overmatched in pass protection. Romo was doing nothing in the pass game because he was getting no time to throw and a lot of that was on Randle. IF he misses some early blocks this week he could end up finding himself on the bench because at least Tanner can block better. I also expect the Coqboys to pass a ton this week regardless and I don't think the run game will be a big factor.

Randle expected to see lots of looks in passing game... He has more then quizz upside imo.
Philly is much stronger vs the run than the pass. I doubt the Cowboys even bother trying to run much this week in what has all the making of a shootout. I doubt Randle will get more than 10 carries.

I say 9 carries for 24 yards and 4 rec for 20 yards.

Tanner will have 3 carries for 15 yards and 4 rec for 25 yards.

Take Murrays production in week 5 vs Denver and cut it in half and that is what you should expect from Randle this week.

Users who are viewing this thread