What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Deer Hunting (1 Viewer)

Cjw_55106

Footballguy
Any of you get out for an annual deer hunt? What are your staples as far as scent attractors and scent blockers? Do you skip all of the commercial products? Do you hunt in a stand or on the ground?

My grandfather and I go out together if I can make it back home for the season. It's something he can still enjoy.

Don't use scent products, just use trail cameras and a ground blind (more like a small cabin) at the bottom of a ridge on his or a neighbor's property.

Funny, I'm not sure the last time we actually shot anything. We like to make counts and notes for others instead of having to drag out a big carcass from the woods.

Do have another stand on an outcrop against the face of a small cliff out behind my parents' place. My dad and uncle use it mostly, but I have gone out some years. Again, no scent - just some study of trails and using a camera.

edit: western Kentucky

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm an avid bow hunter, so my perspective might be a little different than someone that goes on an annual hunt with a rifle/shotgun. Forget calls, rattling, scents and all that. Companies are just profiting on a hunter's strong sense of hope.

Most of the commercial products are just a big waste of money. The only thing I use is scent free body wash, laundry detergent, and deodorant. All of the attractants, scent eliminator sprays, etc are just 'wallet attractants', IMO. Your best bet is to sit quietly, don't move, and hunt the wind (be downwind of where you expect the deer to come from). KISS....

I use a treestand 100% of the time since.

I have always been fascinated by this. Can't imagine sitting still in a tree all day hoping to maybe have a chance at possibly shooting at a deer.

I have always been fascinated by this. Can't imagine sitting still in a tree all day hoping to maybe have a chance at possibly shooting at a deer.
I'm not a hunter, but I like to fish and I think it's pretty comparable. It's nice to catch something but there are times when you won't. It's still nice to be out on/near the water all day.Sure, you could probably get the same thing by going on a hike or just sitting by the water but it's fun when you bag something. Plus you can get a tasty meal out it.

I'm not a hunter, but I like to fish and I think it's pretty comparable. It's nice to catch something but there are times when you won't. It's still nice to be out on/near the water all day.Sure, you could probably get the same thing by going on a hike or just sitting by the water but it's fun when you bag something. Plus you can get a tasty meal out it.
Fishing is a bit different. You can talk, cough, eat and drink, drive the boat to a new spot, and usually get far more nibbles than a deer hunter sees deer.

I'm an avid bow hunter, so my perspective might be a little different than someone that goes on an annual hunt with a rifle/shotgun. Forget calls, rattling, scents and all that. Companies are just profiting on a hunter's strong sense of hope.

Most of the commercial products are just a big waste of money. The only thing I use is scent free body wash, laundry detergent, and deodorant. All of the attractants, scent eliminator sprays, etc are just 'wallet attractants', IMO. Your best bet is to sit quietly, don't move, and hunt the wind (be downwind of where you expect the deer to come from). KISS....

This is pretty much me.

This is pretty much me.
IN IOWA? I hate your guts. ;)

Fishing is a bit different. You can talk, cough, eat and drink, drive the boat to a new spot, and usually get far more nibbles than a deer hunter sees deer.
I generally see deer on every sit, but I know what you mean. For me, I'm a bit of an introvert and get stressed out pretty easily with all of the daily drama. Being out on the stand during this time of year is really therapeutic for me.

The fishing comparison is a really good one, but you're right about the talk, eat, etc. Duck hunting would be the best fishing comparison. I know guys that have full blown grills inside their duck blinds cooking eggs, bacon, coffee etc. :lol: Its a fun change of pace to go duck hunting, but my heart is in the deer woods.

:no:

When I go fishing, Im either on the beach or in my kayak. Its usually a nice warm day and I have a cooler full of ice cold beers. The action is typically hot and heavy, and most of the time, I throw everything back alive. Pretty awesome.

The one time I went hunting, it was freezing cold and we didn't see anything until dusk when I shot and wounded a deer which ended up crawling under a tree. It laid there crying (sounded almost human) while my step-day lassoed it, drug it out, and slit its throat. We stood there and watched it die as it gasped for air while blood spurted out of its throat. Then we gutted it and spent the next 2 hours dragging it out of the woods. Pretty horrible.

I tend to stay away from most of the gimmicks for sale, but on the recommendation of a co-worker, this year I will try the Tink's Smokin' Scent Sticks.

Basically, you light them link incense and they burn for about two hours, attracking Im sure, about 30-40 white tail. :lol:

When you're fresh water fishing in a small river or lake, is the intent to eat the fish you catch. I've done this a few times with the kids and it got old real fast catching these little fish over and over just to have to go through the process of taking the fish off the hook and re-worming the hook. I didn't know if I was missing something. I like outdoorsy stuff so I'd be interested in adding it to the routine if there was something I wasn't doing that might be more appealing.

When you're fresh water fishing in a small river or lake, is the intent to eat the fish you catch. I've done this a few times with the kids and it got old real fast catching these little fish over and over just to have to go through the process of taking the fish off the hook and re-worming the hook. I didn't know if I was missing something. I like outdoorsy stuff so I'd be interested in adding it to the routine if there was something I wasn't doing that might be more appealing.
I typically only eat saltwater fish although walleye are good eating too.

Catching panfish gets boring pretty quick because they're small. I have two suggestions. One would be to take a bigger rod and use one of those live panfish as bait (hook it through the back behind the dorsal fin). Put some weight on and toss it way out there. You never know what you might catch (bass, catfish, etc). The other would be to fish for bass with lures. They're great fighters and a lot of fun to catch.

When I go fishing, Im either on the beach or in my kayak. Its usually a nice warm day and I have a cooler full of ice cold beers. The action is typically hot and heavy, and most of the time, I throw everything back alive. Pretty awesome.

The one time I went hunting, it was freezing cold and we didn't see anything until dusk when I shot and wounded a deer which ended up crawling under a tree. It laid there crying (sounded almost human) while my step-day lassoed it, drug it out, and slit its throat. We stood there and watched it die as it gasped for air while blood spurted out of its throat. Then we gutted it and spent the next 2 hours dragging it out of the woods. Pretty horrible.
One time I went fishing and it was cold and I didn't catch anything so that must be what fishing is like all the time.

One time I went fishing and it was cold and I didn't catch anything so that must be what fishing is like all the time.
Terrible comparison.

1. Im in PA, so deer hunting is ALWAYS going to be cold.

2. Drinking beer while using a gun is NEVER a good idea.

3. Whenever you shoot something, your intent is ALWAYS to kill it.

4. Once you kill it, you ALWAYS have to gut it, which is unappealing to me.

These are the reasons I love fishing, but have no desire to go hunting.

I like to hunt and fish and the only comparison is the chance to sit in silience taking nature in. Thats it.

Terrible comparison.

1. Im in PA, so deer hunting is ALWAYS going to be cold.

2. Drinking beer while using a gun is NEVER a good idea.

3. Whenever you shoot something, your intent is ALWAYS to kill it.

4. Once you kill it, you ALWAYS have to gut it, which is unappealing to me.

These are the reasons I love fishing, but have no desire to go hunting.
1 - It's not cold right now and we're nearing the peak of the season. PA's rifle season is terrible if you want to really experience deer hunting.

2 - I agree!

3 - I'd sure hope so.

4 - Not necessarily. There are a lot of hunters that use a gutless method, but I'm not going to waste my time with that here.

It all goes to Ignoramus' point - you're blanketly judging an activity off of a single bad experience. If you had made a better shot, things might've gone a little better for you. :shrug:

I've done the weekend rifle hunt for the last 6 years in various areas of Missouri. I plan to go again this year and have a pretty great place to go for the first time in 3 years.

My first two years were easy and I got a good size deer both years on the first morning. Then I had a two year drought where I sat for several days and never took a shot. I've gotten a small-ish doe each of the last two years.

Each hunt has basically been a product of the place I got to hunt. I just dress warm, sit high and stay alert. I don't even use the special soaps, just make sure I'm elevated and stay quiet.

Being out in the woods as it wakes up in the morning is actually a pretty cool experience as long as its not too cold.

Being out in the woods as it wakes up in the morning is actually a pretty cool experience as long as its not too cold.
:goodposting: It's the best thing about hunting to me. Seeing "the woods wake up" and that anticipation of movement has never gotten old in the 20yrs I've been hunting. :zen:

This is pretty much me.
:yes: :thumbup:

I've always wanted to go hunting. My boys are teenagers now and I'd like to take them as well. Not growing up in a gun/hunting home it's kind of a tough thing to break into from just internet articles and youtube sites.

I got my first gun this year and I'm looking to pick up a shotgun and go hunting this season or next. Just not sure how to go about it yet. Hoping to meet someone local to take me sometime.

I've always wanted to go hunting. My boys are teenagers now and I'd like to take them as well. Not growing up in a gun/hunting home it's kind of a tough thing to break into from just internet articles and youtube sites.

I got my first gun this year and I'm looking to pick up a shotgun and go hunting this season or next. Just not sure how to go about it yet. Hoping to meet someone local to take me sometime.
Toughest part is finding the land to hunt on and getting permission.

Find and join a local gun club or two. The learning curve is steep, but there's a lot of good hunters out there eager to teach someone new.

Depending on where you live, there's likely a lot of public land to hunt. Public land can be tough, but put in the work and you can find some good honey holes. I hunt all public land...

Bow hunting is a whole 'nother ball game, but it's a ton of fun. Archers are some of the nicest folks you'll ever meet. If you can find a local archery club, I'd highly recommend it. I'm currently teaching an 18yr old how to deer hunt that became a member of my archery club a few years ago. He's hooked!

What's so terrible about getting a little cold? I've hunted from a tree stand in 20 degree weather and still enjoyed it. Try hunting in Canada. Now that's cold.

What's so terrible about getting a little cold? I've hunted from a tree stand in 20 degree weather and still enjoyed it. Try hunting in Canada. Now that's cold.
Pretty much the main reason I don't deer hunt anymore. Standing dead still in -20c for 2-3 hours isn't much fun. Even less fun when you have to clean a deer in that weather.

I will add the trick to staying comfortable when doing any hunting is proper clothing and layers. A good base layer or two, wool vest and some kind of waterproof AND windproof outer layer are key.

Traditional archery hunter here...longbow and recurve only. Switched over after decades with a compound and I'm never going back.

Also, the field to table experience of harvesting, processing, and preparing game for your family is an incredibly rewarding experience. But it is indeed a daunting process if you didn't grow up with it and don't have a mentor.

Hunted for over 20yrs. Stopped about 5 yrs ago. Just lost the bug to get out. Hunted everything from small game to turkey to deer with a bow, rifle and muzzle loader.

Small game was always fun. Squirrels rabbits, grouse and pheasant. Next was turkey.

Deer was the mainstay though. Hunted in the Allegheny national forest area of PA mostly. Grandpap had a camp there. Hunted in all conditions from warm 60* days to -10*. Rainy to having over a foot of snow. Best part was getting away with my dad, grandpap, cousin, uncle and friends. Drinking beer playing cards and tellin hunting, fishing and doin stupid stuff stories.

I bet these people take some beers with them and beef jerky. There might be some fun to be had doing some quality farting.

I liked conflicting posts in this thread because I agreed with both.

Going vegan for 120 minutes to pacify both sides. That's my max.

Any of you get out for an annual deer hunt? What are your staples as far as scent attractors and scent blockers? Do you skip all of the commercial products? Do you hunt in a stand or on the ground?
I have been hunting deer in northern MN since I was 14. Mostly from treestands. Love it. I don't get into attractants too much though I will put out some scent wicks occasionally. Mainly focus on concealing my scent. My hunting clothing and boots are only worn for hunting. Any other time they are washed and stored away. I use Scent Killer laundry detergent, deodorant, soap, cover spray, and field wipes from Wildlife Research Center. Have had good results with their products over the years.

This is pretty much me.
:yes: :thumbup:
Don't fall for his crap. Dude took some huge Boone and Crockett buck two years ago in his neck of the woods.

Hunting from a tree stand or enclosed blind is mostly deer shooting, not really deer hunting. You take away the ability of a deer to see, hear or smell you when you are in a tree stand or blind. That is not as much as a fair chase as it could be, I think we can all agree on that. The various technological helpers and baits take things even further from actual deer hunting. It's gotten to the point where I don't care if I see a big buck harvested anymore, because it says nothing about the skill of the hunter. When you ask how they got him the typical story is a yawner "I saw it come in and I shot it".

To have a true fair chase you have to play on the same field as your quarry, not sniping from above the field (tree stand) or from the stands (ground blinds), munching on Snickers watching rhe packer game and basking in the heat of a stove in the interim. Still hunting, submitting yourself to the elements and the senses of your quarry, with a limited range weapon like a bow or 30-30 is true deer hunting.

I'm not so great with a rifle or a bow, but I've successfully bagged a deer with a Chevy. It turned out to be an expensive way to deer hunt!

Hunting from a tree stand or enclosed blind is mostly deer shooting, not really deer hunting. You take away the ability of a deer to see, hear or smell you when you are in a tree stand or blind. That is not as much as a fair chase as it could be, I think we can all agree on that. The various technological helpers and baits take things even further from actual deer hunting. It's gotten to the point where I don't care if I see a big buck harvested anymore, because it says nothing about the skill of the hunter. When you ask how they got him the typical story is a yawner "I saw it come in and I shot it".

To have a true fair chase you have to play on the same field as your quarry, not sniping from above the field (tree stand) or from the stands (ground blinds), munching on Snickers watching rhe packer game and basking in the heat of a stove in the interim. Still hunting, submitting yourself to the elements and the senses of your quarry, with a limited range weapon like a bow or 30-30 is true deer hunting.
Why stop there? Can't you just jump on the deer and strangle it? Seems more "fair" to me.

One of my friends would have his GF save her tampons and he'd hang them on the trees to attract the Bucks
Crazy. :lmao: Never heard of that one. One of my buddies has always had the best luck when he had his "doe" up in the stand with him.

ETA: I do know guys will pee on scrapes to "refresh" them.

Last edited:
A deer broke in and killed my entire family. I will not rest until every single one of them is destroyed.

In before the "hunting is cruel/inhumane, I get all my meat from the grocery store" crowd :popcorn:
Every time I purchase a T-bone at the store I lament the fact that I wasn't able to fire a projectile through the cow's brain.

Users who are viewing this thread