What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

** Dallas Cowboys** 2019, you sucked (1 Viewer)

He technically doesn't even need to fire Garrett. After today's game, assuming the Eagles win, he can simply let Garrett walk away and sign with whomever he wants.
does anyone really think another team will sign Garrett? i can see him getting a job somewhere for some college, and there are certainly enough dead beat coaches out there for open jobs, but does anybody really think Garett is worth paying him money to join him?

Genuinely curious as I am not a Cowboy’s fan - Does anyone think Garrett still deserves the job? Anyone sad to see him go? He is going right? I always thought he was an overrated coach and I’m still floored by how long he lasted at the helm. But I do have some unwarranted personal angst against him so my judgment is tainted. 

Last edited by a moderator:
He technically doesn't even need to fire Garrett. After today's game, assuming the Eagles win, he can simply let Garrett walk away and sign with whomever he wants.
This was a funny thing I heard the other day. What if Jerry just doesn't address Garrett at all in the media and just hired a new coach? That would be hilarious.

Are you referring to my 3 posts in this thread? :lmao:  This team stinks, Dak stinks, the OL is already starting to fade and it was a big part in their mediocre success in previous seasons.

Jerry, pay the man.
I thought he was MVP and way better than Wentz? :lmao:

Really disappointing season, but don't blame it on injuries. Injuries are never (& I mean NEVER) an excuse. It's a loser mentality. Football is a violent sport & injuries are a fact of life. Find players who can stay healthy & acquire better backups.

The bottom line is we'll finally get a new HC & out of all the major sports, football is the most influenced by coaching (by far). We've been severely handicapped in that area.

The good news is we have a young team loaded with talent & that's an opinion shared by many people in the industry. We certainly have the most talent in our division & there's absolutely no reason we can't start making the playoffs. If it's one thing Jerry can do, it's assemble talent (mostly by way of Will McClay).

The key is landing a talented HC. Who would you guys like to see?

Elevencents said:
Genuinely curious as I am not a Cowboy’s fan - Does anyone think Garrett still deserves the job? Anyone sad to see him go? He is going right? I always thought he was an overrated coach and I’m still floored by how long he lasted at the helm. But I do have some unwarranted personal angst against him so my judgment is tainted. 
You're missing the big picture here.  The GM is the main problem in Dallas.  Garrett is just a "yes" man for Jerry........The Cowboys organization makes the wrong personnel moves continually.  The next coach will be hamstrung by Jerry, and we'll see continued mediocrity.

Really disappointing season, but don't blame it on injuries. Injuries are never (& I mean NEVER) an excuse. It's a loser mentality. Football is a violent sport & injuries are a fact of life. Find players who can stay healthy & acquire better backups.

The bottom line is we'll finally get a new HC & out of all the major sports, football is the most influenced by coaching (by far). We've been severely handicapped in that area.

The good news is we have a young team loaded with talent & that's an opinion shared by many people in the industry. We certainly have the most talent in our division & there's absolutely no reason we can't start making the playoffs. If it's one thing Jerry can do, it's assemble talent (mostly by way of Will McClay).

The only way I can see success in Dallas with Jerry as the GM, is getting a big enough personality that can challenge him.  That coach would need to CONVINCE him to step back, pay football people to make solid personnel decisions, and let go of ego.  Will it happen?  I doubt it......Jerry cannot get past wanting to take credit for being a smart football guy instead of just a really smart business man.

He’s not that good. Slightly above average QB that compiles great numbers against poor competition to create an illusion of being elite. A fool’s gold QB with shaky accuracy and an inability to elevate teammates in meaningful games. The Cowboys would be foolish to give him a long term contract. 

IMO the single most overrated player in the NFL. 

I saw that the Giant's were very interested in Ruhle. It will be interesting, if he has a choice, who he goes with, the Cowboys or the Giants
There’s like 5 teams interested in him and all are talking to him. He’ll have his pick.

Tex

He’s not that good. Slightly above average QB that compiles great numbers against poor competition to create an illusion of being elite. A fool’s gold QB with shaky accuracy and an inability to elevate teammates in meaningful games. The Cowboys would be foolish to give him a long term contract. 

IMO the single most overrated player in the NFL. 
I don't necessarily disagree, but what's the alternative? They're stuck in a really difficult position- either make an average to above average QB the highest paid player in the game, or take a huge gamble and try to bring in someone else who very likely will be worse (albeit less expensive).

I don't necessarily disagree, but what's the alternative? They're stuck in a really difficult position- either make an average to above average QB the highest paid player in the game, or take a huge gamble and try to bring in someone else who very likely will be worse (albeit less expensive).
Franchise tag then draft or sign someone to compete.

Tex

Franchise tag then draft or sign someone to compete.

Tex
IMO they'd only tag Prescott if they couldn't come to a team-friendly agreement and they wanted to give the new coach a year to see if they could work some magic with him.

His cap hit would go up by ~$25 mil with the tag, signing another QB to compete on top of that just isn't feasible, and I doubt they would spend the draft capital it would take to draft anyone with any chance to compete for the job either. 

I'd like to see him ask Kraft for permission to interview Belichik.  I love train wrecks.

Elevencents said:
I would fire him but not sure what Jerry does.  He doesn't generally tolerate underperforming though.  My guess is Garrett will go somewhere else as an Assistant.

For the Big Kahuna of what's arguably the most lucrative franchise in professional sports, if you're JJ, I don't know how you let your HC and starting QB walk in the same year considering the talent that's still there. They may not be elite, but they're far from implosion. No way Jones let's the foreseeable future of the business rest on the outcome of a couple of week 17 division games..... ummmm.. right?  :scared:

Garrett probably should have been fired a long time ago, so I don't know if he can survive another year.

What would it take to get Saban or Meyer? 
Meyer's health issues would prevent him from coaching again.  I don't think his family would allow it.  Didn't Saban suck as an NFL coach with the Dolphins?

Yea, it seems Stephen is better with personnel stuff, but I still don't think a HC in Dallas will have enough control.
Name the staff decisions you think Jerry made recently.  

Or if you don't think he hasn't taken a backseat on player decisions, name those as well.  

The way I've seen this is Jerry finally took a step back, the talent on the roster was at a 20 year high, and he had a scared little boy at the helm as a holdover from when Jerry wanted a scared little boy and this is what we got.

Wow, didn't know about Meyer's health. 

Belechick once stunk as an NFL coach too.  :shrug:
Belichick took a pathetic Browns franchise to the playoffs in his fourth year (a year after releasing under-achiever but Cleveland favorite Bernie Kosar).  In the fifth year, the Browns started 3-1 and Art Modell announced the team was moving to Baltimore, at which point the team fell apart.  

I think Saban has it made at Alabama and I don't think there is an NFL job that is better.
Totally agree. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Not sure Saban's seemingly prickly personality would sit well in a Big Boy locker room. That said, ego has to be a defining trait for an NFL HC, and the chance to take the helm of that team... 

Totally agree. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Not sure Saban's seemingly prickly personality would sit well in a Big Boy locker room. That said, ego has to be a defining trait for an NFL HC, and the chance to take the helm of that team... 
Perhaps, but being a big fish in a small pond is better than being a little fish in a big pond.

Sign Rivers. Draft Jalen Hurts in round 2.  Sign Jones and Cooper.

Call me crazy (and yes, I know JJ who has an irrational love for Dak will never let this happen) but I think, on balance, this would be a better move.

Hell, if Tom Brady really does want to leave, I’d pay $35 million for a year.

The point is - contrary to many delusional fans and media types, Dak is not the answer. 

Honesty, there are a litany if other QBs that could have led this team to an 8-8 record. He’s not special and never will be. He’s not bad, but he’s not elite, either.

Name the staff decisions you think Jerry made recently.  

Or if you don't think he hasn't taken a backseat on player decisions, name those as well.  

The way I've seen this is Jerry finally took a step back, the talent on the roster was at a 20 year high, and he had a scared little boy at the helm as a holdover from when Jerry wanted a scared little boy and this is what we got.
Im only basing my opinion from what I hear in fan forums, so take it fwiw......maybe not much, I know.

But my understanding is Stephens input on personnel moves is more level headed, vs Jerry chasing the shiny object.......but ultimately, Jerry will most likely have the final say.  And it does seem that he's valued the more level headed approach in recent years.

I do agree that the roster is overall more talented than the Romo years, especially the defense.

I thought paying Zeke was a mistake though.  IMHO, you need to pay QB/WR/O-line and piece together role players at RB.

Fascinating.  I know of no one else with this take, but I also have massive respect for your opinions and insights.
You’re too kind. I’m generally full of ####

As Jerry gets older he’s getting softer. Sentimental maybe? I can relate to that more as I get older myself 

And he’s always been loyal to his guys. It’s more of a gut feeling for me than anything 

What would it take to get Saban or Meyer? 
I don't think Saban is an NFL coach.  He is a master recruiter more than he's an X's and O's guy ...That's how he's built Alabama back up.  Out-recruit everyone else.......that doesn't work in the NFL obviously.

There is going to be a long meeting, this isn't a done deal I guess. 

Jerry and his son must know that at this point, not many coaches will put up with the owner meddling like others have including Garrett for almost 10 years, he replaced wade who didn't say much to rebuke Jerry over his tenure, that said the Dallas Cowboys have a lot of talent, perhaps a decent QB already, a strong Head Coach and they can win the NFC East, that's not a tough sell vs other teams that need a rebuild or total tear down whether they know it or not. 

I could see Garrett on a 1 yr deal if the options are limited as to who they bring in...but the reality is Garrett must go. 

Sign Rivers. Draft Jalen Hurts in round 2.  Sign Jones and Cooper.

Call me crazy (and yes, I know JJ who has an irrational love for Dak will never let this happen) but I think, on balance, this would be a better move.

Hell, if Tom Brady really does want to leave, I’d pay $35 million for a year.

The point is - contrary to many delusional fans and media types, Dak is not the answer. 

Honesty, there are a litany if other QBs that could have led this team to an 8-8 record. He’s not special and never will be. He’s not bad, but he’s not elite, either.
I guess it depends on what question you are trying to "answer"- is Dak an elite, put you on his back and will you to win the Super Bowl QB? Likely not. Is he good enough to win a SB with a talented roster around him? I think so. Therein lies the rub- the more you pay him (or any QB), the less there is for everyone else.

Your first idea seems highly unlikely- one, Rivers is a downgrade at QB at this stage of his career, and he's still going to cost a ton (if he becomes available AND wants to play in Dallas). I'm fine taking a shot on Hurts, but that's all he is, and it's very likely he never gets to Dak's level.

Brady at $35 mil? Oof, no thanks. That's a downgrade both financially and performance wise IMO.

I agree with your last sentence, but again, very few QBs are. Rivers and Brady no longer are, and Hurts is highly unlikely to ever be. Just a tough position to be in.

I'll go on record here and say:  Dak will easily be a top 10 QB for this coming season, and probably be a top 5.  I have drank ALL the kool-aid about our new QB coach fixing Dak's footword(re:  accuracy). 
3rd in ESPN Total Adjusted EPA
4th in Total QBR (ESPN)
4th in Air Yards/Completion (PFR)
5th in DVOA
5th in ANY/A (Football Perspective)
5th in PFN OSM

Yes, I cherry-picked the stats.  I don't care.  They help me sound like I was right.  Good enough for me:)  He killed it this season(generally).

3rd in ESPN Total Adjusted EPA
4th in Total QBR (ESPN)
4th in Air Yards/Completion (PFR)
5th in DVOA
5th in ANY/A (Football Perspective)
5th in PFN OSM

Yes, I cherry-picked the stats.  I don't care.  They help me sound like I was right.  Good enough for me:)  He killed it this season(generally).
I like you, self examined yet unapologetic. The rationalist and the fan living comfortably together in one person.

Users who are viewing this thread