What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Creating a new RPG from scratch (1 Viewer)

ProstheticRGK

Footballguy
So, my kids are hooked on the vidya. In an effort to engage them in real timey talk and interaction, I've been looking for stuff to do with them that doesn't involve electricity. My youngest, the other day, came up with an idea to play a game he called "Drawing Battles". Basically, you draw your character, and then draw a battle between your character and the other person's. We played a couple rounds and started getting creative on buffs, weapons, bonuses, potions, all sorts of stuff just kluged together.We had a lot of fun and made a plan to have a "guy's night" of pizza and soda and movies, and work on the game some more together.

So, tonight, we went out to Michael's and got some wood crafting stuff, paint, modeling clay and a bunch of other random stuff to create antabletop version of the game. I am basically modelling the RPG mechanics off Dungeons and Dragons, and other video game RPGs I've played, because I am a nerd. But, I am not a super nerd. And I know there are some super nerds in here that are smart af, and have experience DMing and designing games.

So, whatcha got? I'm looking at you @hagmaniaand @Bob Sacamano

I think you should use some transparent sheets to overlay your character drawings. Then with wet erase markers you are able to draw on top of your own/others' characters.

Think your rough and rowdy fighter is so tough? Welp, you rolled a 1, and now little Timmy gets to draw him a peg leg.

Rolled a 20? Now I'm drawing him a bazooka.

Then when you are done with that session you can just erase the doodles on the transparent top sheet and be ready for next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since your kid already likes to draw, why dont you ditch the figures and create a card game like yu gi oh or pokemon. same fun

Im actually toying with the idea of making that an extra credit assignment in class. Kids are always asking for extra credit and I always say no. 

I would stick with the 2D drawings tbh.

I really like the idea of having props drawn out (your sundry list of buffs, potions, etc) that you can "attach" and "detach" from your characters at will.

But, you did ask for specific advice in regards to game design.

The main decision point for your game and mechanics are based on how you resolve conflict. "Conflict" means anything that your character does that you're not automatically sure they can do. Sure, a hero can ford across a shallow, lazily moving stream... but can they make a dashing leap and swing on a vine across a raging river to expertly let go and land on the other side? Figure out how you resolve conflict and build your game from there.

In D&D 5E, conflict resolution occurs by rolling a d20 with modifiers against a difficulty check. D&D builds upon this by sometimes making characters roll, sometimes making monsters roll, sometimes using standard DCs, sometimes letting the players control the DC... the list goes on. Anyhow, after you have resolved the conflict, you have to have a way to determine the actual result. That's where all the other dice come in for D&D (rolling 8d6 for a Fireball).

A humble suggestion would be to have one of those little sand timers that can be found in all sorts of board games. When you need to resolve conflict, flip the timer and start drawing. If you can draw the gist of your solution and the DM accepts it, you pass. Otherwise, the DM might give you more time to complete/rework your sketch and allow a success with some kind of cost... or if the attempt is just so bad or unfeasible it is a failure and something else has to be tried. The result? Well, the DM has to draw something out, of course!

(If the timers are too quick, use Alexa or something else. I'm sure you can figure it out.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread