What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cooks to Pats, Fantasy Impact (1 Viewer)

This thread is funny. Brees and Payton let their wins suffert to send a message to Cooks is where we are at now? Tin foil hat handy? People think these things will happen-
*Thomas will do nothing without Cooks.
*Cooks will get all the targets from Brady and Brady will look less to Gronk and Edelman.
*Brees will suffer and its the players who make him and not the other way around.
*Cooks is going to come in and take over targets on a team that makes its bones on game planning for its opponents? Plenty of other targets to take from like Mitchell, Hogan, Floyd RBs, other TEs instead of Gronk and Edelman.
*Lots of people rush to get excited about NEW Patriots skill players, and to an extent they should, but they get out of rational at times.
Take a step back, relax... stop with the hopes and dreams and get with the reality and logic. Cooks will be lucky to get 75 catches with 1100 and 8 TDS. Nothing more than what he was getting in NO.
I couldn't get past the first two strawmen.......

If you watch that game you'll see Brees look at Cooks several times, Cooks is open, and Brees goes somewhere else with the ball. It looks like it was intentional. It was a message being sent to Cooks by Brees and maybe Sean Payton. It backfired on them. I mean the Saints offense will be one of the best in the league still with Cooks gone but their is no way they are better without him.

The thing is teams say this is a business when they cut players or when they are negotiating players salaries but as soon as a player of Cooks level starts seeing his usage drop while he's still in his rookie deal, he starts seeing dollar bills burning, then he's selfish. It's baloney. This is an extremely dangerous game. One where your career earning potential can take a significant hit on any one play. Players are basically playing for one big contract in their career. The one they sign after their cheap rookie deal. Their rookie deals are extremely team friendly if they are producing like Cooks.

:lol:

Seriously?

Milkman calling my quotes of what people actually suggested "straw men" when he actually believes Brees and Payton colluded to hold Cooks down.
This election has separated people from reality more than I thought. It would be funny if it wasnt so disturbing.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol:

Seriously?
Players are getting boned on those rookie deals. Cooks also isn't the only star player upset with Payton. Ingram was pissed about usage all year too. If they were winning maybe Payton would have a leg to stand on but they're not and he doesn't. The Saints are 21-27 over the last 3 years withban elute QB. Maybe if he used his best players more they would win more but I still can't be upset with Cooks it's a ####ty spot for him. I'll bet anybody barring injury he'll never have a zero target game in NE.

Look at the Denver game last year. Ignored all game then when they do actually call his number he puts them on his back and gives them the lead with several great catches and one spectacular catch in the end zone. You don't try to teach players like that lessons. You lean on them. 

There's Cooks Touchdowns where Brees and Cooks barely acknowledge each other. In fact I bet Ginn doesn't have a zero target game all year. Lol especially if the Saints put up 45 points. Definitely some bs power play going on there and like I said it backfired on the Saints and they got worse. So I guess congrats Saints?

Does anyone think Cooks prospects are better in NE? I personally don't, because I can't see him bumping Gronk and Eldeman in their pecking order, but curious to what others think... 

Does anyone think Cooks prospects are better in NE? I personally don't, because I can't see him bumping Gronk and Eldeman in their pecking order, but curious to what others think... 
I agree... Brady likes to work underneath.. Cook will pull the safety and open it up. Also Cooks better get ready to work across the middle... We'll find out how much he enjoys contact.

Too add .. I certainly don't see Cooks getting the 120 targets he averaged the last two years.

Alex P Keaton said:
Edelman didn't really look like Edelman in 2016 until Gronk was injured.
Even then he did less with his targets than any other WR in the top 15 last year.

Ditka Butkus said:
I agree... Brady likes to work underneath.. Cook will pull the safety and open it up. Also Cooks better get ready to work across the middle... We'll find out how much he enjoys contact.
I'll go on record saying I think Cooks was brought in to play the Edelman role, not to play the role he played in NO. Cooks was very effective outside, over the middle, and out of the slot against top coverage in college. I see this playing out like the Welker trade, where BB trades for a guy and then shows the league how he is supposed to be used. But we'll see how it plays out.

Either way, I'm done with the back and forth in this thread. It's pretty clear that people who didn't like Cooks before don't like him now, and people that did like him still do (and think he might finally be used correctly).

CabinFever said:
I don't believe Cooks fantasy prospects are better in NE. I think he's in a situation where he'll end up being one of those "much better REAL football player than Fantasy Footballer" guys. 

I guess I'm in the minority. I see this as a good situation for Cook.

As much as I like NO, NE is better in every aspect from QB to coaching Cooks is in a better place. Any owner that has him need to hold. In NE the field is going to be so wide open Cooks won't need 150 targets. He and Hill are cut from the same cloth just get the ball in their hands. 

Tex

Generally speaking BB has never really under-utilized an offensive weapon...if Cooks is legit he will get more than his fair share...

CabinFever said:
Edelman is in the last year of his contract.  I'm betting he will be bumping Edelman when it comes time to resign these guys.

For those wondering why he was traded, I can only offer information I've attained from a Saints board.  Apparently, Cooks has continued to express a negative attitude in the offseason.  He also expects to be paid a top 5 WR salary.  The Saints aren't going to do that.  Loomis and Payton don't want to make the mistake they did with JG.   And it would seem paying Cooks the money he wants would be doing that. Brees and Payton make that offense what it is.  Yes, Cooks is a great talent, but his role can be easily replaced.  In the end, the Saints weren't going to resign him to the money he wants, so the best thing to do was trade him for what they could get.  The timetable they set was due to the $750,000+ roster bonus he was due on Sunday(?).  So, on the surface they won with the trade.  They're getting something to replace him and getting rid of a locker room cancer.   I don't think you'll find a Saints fan that didn't hope for more, but you'd also be hard pressed to find a fan that doesn't think they kept the right WR.

Also, the Patriots didn't exercise the 5th year option on his contract.  Why?  Is he just there for 1 year? 

I watched most of the Saints game, and I own each guy in a couple leagues. Cooks definitely was the top priority of the defense in most weeks, and Thomas benefited from facing lesser corners quite a bit. I don't think they're particularly close in talent.

I think Thomas is going to be a lot less efficient next year with more attention. He'll also probably get another 1-1.5 targets per game (140s has been the max for NO WRs for the last decade) so I think his production should remain about the same. But there is some logic for his production going down. He'll face more top corners and will have a harder time getting open. I think it's being overstated by some, because some teams won't have their top corner cover the slot, which is where Thomas lines up the most. But some downtick wouldn't shock me.

As for Cooks, I think he's been miscast as a stretch wr in NO. He was deployed all over in college and thrived. I think he'll eventually assume that role from Edelman, which is why I think his targets and production will go up.
You sure about that? 

Thomas didn't spend most of his time in the slot; Snead did.  Thomas lined up almost exclusively on the outside. 

Peters, Trufant and Johnson only play one side of the field and Peterson didn't shadow Cooks.  Who are these top guys that Cooks was pulling away from Thomas?

I watched most of the Saints game, and I own each guy in a couple leagues. Cooks definitely was the top priority of the defense in most weeks, and Thomas benefited from facing lesser corners quite a bit. I don't think they're particularly close in talent.
I understand this is purely subjective, but myself and probably 99% of Saints fans on their boards think different.  Obviously Thomas doesn't have the speed that Cooks does, but most think of him as a more complete receiver.  He's built in the same mold as Colston.

Not only is your schtick gay and lame, but you keep patting yourself on the back for no reason.  Granted, your threw a dart and hit a bullseye, but it was purely dumb luck and not for the reasons you think.  I was going to just let it go, but you couldn't just move along.  I'm positive I'm not alone in my conclusion that you're still an idiot.
Lol be careful.....the last time you called me an idiot you couldn't have been more wrong. Seems I might have been dialed into that Saints situation more than you want to give me credit for. Ingram is very unhappy with his role as well. Just saying.......

Considering Cooks wasn't traded for the reasons you thought, I stand by my comment.  Ingram is expendable as well.  I can't think of anyone who hasn't been productive in Payton's system. 

He was moved for Alshon Jeffery and the #10 rookie pick in a 10 team non PPR dynasty league I'm in, as a price check. 

Considering Cooks wasn't traded for the reasons you thought, I stand by my comment.  Ingram is expendable as well.  I can't think of anyone who hasn't been productive in Payton's system. 
Lol well you go ahead and do that. You do seem to be learning (albeit slow) from your mistakes. You didn't call me an idiot for saying Ingram might be next. 

Ginn was a good signing for NO. He's no Cooks but he'll stretch the field for them. 

SproutDaddy said:
Robert Meachem and freaking Devery Henderson looked good in that system, FFS.  The Saints offense since the arrival of Payton and Brees is top 5 almost every year, regardless of who they've had at RB or WR or TE.  They'll still be fine without Cooks (assuming Brees doesn't hit the Father Time wall). 

Users who are viewing this thread