What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Consensus Mock Draft Pick 1.7 (1 Viewer)

Who gets to be the new Florida Man?

• Quentin Nelson

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Minkah Fitzpatrick

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Denzel Ward

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Tremaine Edmunds

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Vita Vea

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Raqoun Smith

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Marcus Davenport

• Calvin Ridley

• Orlando Brown

• Mike Mcglinchley

• Other guy

• Derwin James

Votes: 6 13.0%

• Total voters

Sebowski

Footballguy
Pick 6 was taken to the house. Chubb in a landslide. Who's the next Buc? 

Reminds of a joke.... "think they got ears pierced back in pirate days?" "Imagine so" "What you reckon they charged for that?" "Bout a Buck an ear?"

1.1 Sam Darnold (66% of the votes / 33 votes)

1.2 Josh Rosen (62.69% of the votes / 42 votes)

1.3 Josh Allen (52% of the votes / 23 votes)

1.4 Saqoun Barkley (50.7% of the votes / 36 votes to 30 for Chubb)

1.5 Baker Mayfield (44% of the vote / 22 votes to 15 for Chubb)

1.6 Bradley Chubb (71.88%/ 23 Votes)

1.7 ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!???

Last edited by a moderator:
Went with Nelson. I don’t know much about the Bucs OL but he seems to be the next highest rated player on most boards and usually OL is a good investment. 

I’m not sure if I agree with it but I think Derwin James might go ahead of Minkah. Maybe a candidate to be added to the list. Thanks for your efforts. 

Went with Nelson. I don’t know much about the Bucs OL but he seems to be the next highest rated player on most boards and usually OL is a good investment. 

I’m not sure if I agree with it but I think Derwin James might go ahead of Minkah. Maybe a candidate to be added to the list. Thanks for your efforts. 
Thanks. Added. You think you list them all.......

I would not be surprised to see Nelson fall outside the top 10. Dude's a guard, and we've seen DeCastro, Pouncey, Iupati, etc. fall pretty fall into the first round.

I would not be surprised to see Nelson fall outside the top 10. Dude's a guard, and we've seen DeCastro, Pouncey, Iupati, etc. fall pretty fall into the first round.
Fair point. It just seems like he is such a safe pick and it seems like a team could lock down a position for 10+ years. It seems like Minkah has been penciled in this spot by most people so I accept that I’m likely in the wrong but I would want to add as much protection as possible for my Winston/Evans combo too.

But for year 5 onward they would have to pay the market price for him.

The primary benefit of a rookie pick is that you get him for below-market rates for the first 4-5 years, and the secondary benefit is that you get first crack at signing him beyond that. And I don't see that much advantage from using a top 10 pick on a guard in order to get the right to sign him to a 4-year $20M deal when someone like Josh Sitton is available in free agency for 2 years $15M.

But for year 5 onward they would have to pay the market price for him.

The primary benefit of a rookie pick is that you get him for below-market rates for the first 4-5 years, and the secondary benefit is that you get first crack at signing him beyond that. And I don't see that much advantage from using a top 10 pick on a guard in order to get the right to sign him to a 4-year $20M deal when someone like Josh Sitton is available in free agency for 2 years $15M.
I know what you’re saying but that’s a little over 50% of what Sitton is getting and you get him for 4 years at that price. That $4M per year puts him in a tie for the 33rd highest paid guard. So, it’s not like the Bucs are paying a crazy amount for him. RB seems to be a comparable position, as far as at one point teams not being as willing to spend as in money and draft capital on the position, but Barkley will be tied with with Fournette as the 5th highest paid back in the league. Based on him going 4th in this mock. 

Edit: $4M per year puts Minkah as the 32nd highest paid Safety. Which includes FS and SS so it would be almost the exact same situation as Nelson getting since the Guard contracts included both LG and RG.

It seems that you’re biggest argument is against the position not the team fit or actual player. Most big boards that I’ve seen have Nelson as a top 5 player (not always a top 5 pick because of the QBs) and a lot of the time it’s Barkley, Chubb and Nelson as the top 3 non-QBs. I think that is saying a lot since Guard isn’t pretty much the farthest thing from a position that gets hype. Plus, a team doesn’t have to change anything for him. No scheme changes, no moving him around. Draft him and forget about it. Of course, every pick is a risk but he seems to be one of the least risky picks.

Good discussion though. I like it.

Link to Rookie contracts

Link to Guard contracts

I voted for Edmunds having forgotten that they traded for JPP. still think he's a possibility but probably Fitz instead.

I went Derwin James.I feel about him, how some feel about Barkley He's the best safety prospect in years in my opinion. Tampa hasn't had a great safety since John Lynch.

If Nelson is available it's him.  The Bucs have a glaring hole at left guard right now.
I'll take your word for it if thats who you think they will pick in this scenario.

I voted for Fitzpatrick but any good secondary player would help. Who do you think would be the pick if it were not Nelson?

Too close and not many total votes. I think I'll leave this up till Sunday night or Monday afternoon. 

I'll take your word for it if thats who you think they will pick in this scenario.

I voted for Fitzpatrick but any good secondary player would help. Who do you think would be the pick if it were not Nelson?
Word around Tampa is they don't really care for Minkah for whatever reason.  He doesn't fit what they want to do or isn't an immediate need.  If it wasn't Nelson and they keep the pick, or should I say he's gone along with Chubb and Barkley, I would expect them to take Derwin James or Denzel Ward.

Nelson would make for a nasty interior line with the signing of Jensen and subsequent move of Ali Marpet back to guard. 

Word around Tampa is they don't really care for Minkah for whatever reason.  He doesn't fit what they want to do or isn't an immediate need.  If it wasn't Nelson and they keep the pick, or should I say he's gone along with Chubb and Barkley, I would expect them to take Derwin James or Denzel Ward.

Nelson would make for a nasty interior line with the signing of Jensen and subsequent move of Ali Marpet back to guard. 
I appreciate the insight.

I would like to hear why Fitzpatrick doesn't fit their defense?

James and Ward are good players too.

Nelson a better prospect than any of those guts coming out.  Talent being weak at the top of the draft will help him, too. 

I appreciate the insight.

I would like to hear why Fitzpatrick doesn't fit their defense?

James and Ward are good players too.
They drafted Justin Evans in the second round last year as their free safety.  He played pretty well in that spot.  Minkha projects more as a nickel/free kind of player.  I know he had some box plays as well, but Bama didn't play him there as much.  Vernon Hargreaves played better as their nickel later in 2017 as well. 

James has more of that ideal size/athleticism combo and projects more to the strong safety spot, which is more of an immediate need for Tampa.

Still, if Nelson is available he's the pick.  As it stands now Tampa's starting left guard is JR Sweezy and he was one of the worst guards in the NFL last year.  Licht has also placed major emphasis on the trenches this off-season.  It stands to reason he would like to continue that trend in the first round of this draft.

My vote should count double and the pick should be Nelson!  :P

Users who are viewing this thread