What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Concerts thread - FBG's lovin' live music, we're back in action! (1 Viewer)

Billy Joel in the rain in San Diego's Petco Park? I'm going so I hope it's just light rain. I can see the stage from the bar...right? :oldunsure:

Just dropped my daughter off at her acting studio, which is around the corner from Irving Plaza- a good midsize NYC spot for midsize bands and occasional "popups" for big bands.

There was a line of white people not just around the big NYC block, but around another even bigger NYC block. Thousands of white folk- way more than could fit into the venue. Largest NYC congregation of whiteys since Lord of the Dance rolled through.

Have any of you heard of Maggie Rogers?

Just dropped my daughter off at her acting studio, which is around the corner from Irving Plaza- a good midsize NYC spot for midsize bands and occasional "popups" for big bands.

There was a line of white people not just around the big NYC block, but around another even bigger NYC block. Thousands of white folk- way more than could fit into the venue. Largest NYC congregation of whiteys since Lord of the Dance rolled through.

Have any of you heard of Maggie Rogers?

My wife really likes that one song Maggie does.

Got tickets for Corb Lund at a little bar in TX in early April. Also rented the house next door on AirBNB. The backyard backs up to the stage with a grill, firepit, etc. Should be a great time.
This wound up being even better than I thought. Our house rental bordered the stage. To the point that the switch for the stage lights was on our wall. No BS. We wound up having coffee around a bonfire in the backyard in the morning and then migrating to the backyard of the bar and hanging out there all afternoon and into the night. We got to watch sound check and the whole deal. They played a great version of "Seven Spanish Angels" during sound check. About 250 people there for the actual show. Which is absolutely criminal as good as this band is. Great steel guitar and the bassist/backing vocalist is spectacular. And Corb is just effortless. One of my favorite shows ever. I wish we'd stayed in TX to catch the Coupland show tonight.

Saw Social Distortion + Bad Religion last night.

Julian Ness opened the show. I think his band is called Lovebombs or maybe Lovecrimes. At any rate he was pretty damn good. I had no idea who he was and he didn't say anything but his mannerisms, singing style, and even the way he slung his guitar made it very obvious who he was. I think he might have a better voice than his pops.

It was great to see Social D back in action. I haven't seen them in probably 20 years. They don't have quite as much energy as they used to but it built as the set went on. I have now decided that I prefer their version of "Ring of Fire" to the original. Blasphemy, I know, but it just works. Kind of like Trent Reznor said about Johnny's cover of "Hurt", "it's his song now", I think ROF is Social D's song now.

I've seen BR probably 15 times over the years dating back to the early 90's. Other than Greg and Jay, they've had a few touring lineup changes over the years. I still think of Brian Baker as "the new guy" and I can't believe he's been in the band for 30 years now. About 8-10 years ago when Brooks Wackerman and Greg Hetson left very close to each other I was pretty sure they were done. I loved Brook's drumming and Hetson was always so much fun to watch. But, I'm happy to report I was wrong. The "new guys" have meshed and this was by far the tightest and most dialed in BR I have ever seen. It was straight up energy and sonic wall from start to finish. Social D put on a great show but there was clearly a reason they played first. BR took it to a whole 'nother level.

Julian Ness opened the show. I think his band is called Lovebombs or maybe Lovecrimes. At any rate he was pretty damn good. I had no idea who he was and he didn't say anything but his mannerisms, singing style, and even the way he slung his guitar made it very obvious who he was. I think he might have a better voice than his pops.

It was great to see Social D back in action. I haven't seen them in probably 20 years. They don't have quite as much energy as they used to but it built as the set went on. I have now decided that I prefer their version of "Ring of Fire" to the original. Blasphemy, I know, but it just works. Kind of like Trent Reznor said about Johnny's cover of "Hurt", "it's his song now", I think ROF is Social D's song now.

I've seen BR probably 15 times over the years dating back to the early 90's. Other than Greg and Jay, they've had a few touring lineup changes over the years. I still think of Brian Baker as "the new guy" and I can't believe he's been in the band for 30 years now. About 8-10 years ago when Brooks Wackerman and Greg Hetson left very close to each other I was pretty sure they were done. I loved Brook's drumming and Hetson was always so much fun to watch. But, I'm happy to report I was wrong. The "new guys" have meshed and this was by far the tightest and most dialed in BR I have ever seen. It was straight up energy and sonic wall from start to finish. Social D put on a great show but there was clearly a reason they played first. BR took it to a whole 'nother level.

I was hoping to catch this in Detroit but I don’t think it’s gonna work out

Seeing this show tomorrow night

Sessanta (Primus, Puscifer and A perfect circle)
Pretty cool setup, all 3 bands on the stage at the same time, they would alternate sets after 3-4 songs and occasionally join in together. Last few songs were new material for the tour and closed it out with all 3 playing on Grand Canyon

Highlights for me
Primus - Tommy the Cat and Southbound Pachyderm
Puscifer - the remedy
APC - counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums

Merlefest was last weekend, and here are a few favorites I saw:

The Teskey Brothers - They are from Australia, and their sound is that of soul music like you would hear on the Stax label. The lead singer's voice is fantastic.
Lukas Nelson and the Promise of the Real - Lukas gets better each time I see him.
Molly Tuttle & Golden Highway- They were entertaining, and Molly Tuttle is an excellent guitarist. Back in 2017, she won the International Bluegrass Association Guitar player of the Year. She's the first woman to win that. Doc Watson would be proud of what a great flatpicker she is.
Larkin Poe - These two sisters used to be called the Lovell Sisters when their third sister was with them. The third sister played the fiddle, and they were more Americana as the Lovell Sisters. As Larkin Poe, they are more a blues rock band, and they rocked the festival. Their electric blues was great. They did go back to their roots, and do some acoustic songs on mandolin and the dobro. Their supporting band was good.
Steep Canyon Rangers - They are always full of energy and a lot of fun. One of NC's finest bluegrass bands.
S.G. Goodman - This Kentucky girl was great. Her music is somewhat like Lucinda Williams, but with a different voice.
Old Crow Medicine Show - Just like the SCR, they are always fun. Willie Watson, who used to be with the band and a founding member, played with them. Willie Watson also did his own set, and his folk music is very good.
Uwade - Her set was short since she hasn't been around for long, but her voice stood out. I think she has a bright future.
Chatham County Line - This NC band is a mix of Americana and bluegrass, and always a pleasure to hear.
Shinyribs - They are a horn driven, funky, fun band. They are fun to dance to.
Bela Fleck - He is one of the best banjo players out there.
Chatham Rabbits - They are a NC duo that do roots/folk music. They are partners in music and in real life, and the banter between each other is funny, and their music is good, too.
Buffalo Nichols - He is a bluesman. He does his blues old school. He seemed to be living the blues, too, cause in his banter he seemed blue. Maybe that's why he did the blues so well.
The Sensational Barnes Brothers - These guys did gospel soul and r&b. A lot of people were grooving to them on Sunday afternoon.
Twisted Pine - They were good. Their music is bluegrass that was sometimes poppy, jazzy, and funky.
The Hillside Album Hour this year was Stevie Wonder's album Innervisions. The Waybacks performed it with special guest Lamont Van Hook.
- There were a lot of other acts, and I saw a bit of Turnpike Troubadours and Nickel Creek. Jim Lauderdale, Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas, Peter Rowan, The Kruger Brothers, Donna and the Buffalo, and Scythian perform every year at the festival.

Just saw Neil Young and Crazy Horse. First time seeing Neil. He was amazing. At 78 years old he jams with the best of them and his voice is still great. A little short on the setlist but Cortez the Killer was like 15 minutes long. My amateur pics and vids below. Many blurry etc as I don't go back and clean anything up. It is what it is. If you have never experienced and have a chance go see him. Who knows how much longer we'll have a chance.

Pearl Jam coming up in Vegas. Only my 3rd time seeing my favorite band and my first time in Vegas.

Cro Mags & Helmet
The Fillmore, San Francisco

Haven't seen a show with just two bands in a long time, so that was refreshing. Cro Mags brought that old school New York hardcore sound, and they killed it. The lead singer was very open about his struggles with addiction and a tough life, and I appreciated that. Helmet was excellent. Not a band I would have been obsessed with in the 90s, but they sounded great.

Cro Mags & Helmet

Haven't seen a show with just two bands in a long time, so that was refreshing. Cro Mags brought that old school New York hardcore sound, and they killed it. The lead singer was very open about his struggles with addiction and a tough life, and I appreciated that. Helmet was excellent. Not a band I would have been obsessed with in the 90s, but they sounded great.
Had no idea that the Cro-Mags stilled played shows. Good lineup!

Merlefest was last weekend, and here are a few favorites I saw:

The Teskey Brothers - They are from Australia, and their sound is that of soul music like you would hear on the Stax label. The lead singer's voice is fantastic.
Lukas Nelson and the Promise of the Real - Lukas gets better each time I see him.
Molly Tuttle & Golden Highway- They were entertaining, and Molly Tuttle is an excellent guitarist. Back in 2017, she won the International Bluegrass Association Guitar player of the Year. She's the first woman to win that. Doc Watson would be proud of what a great flatpicker she is.
Larkin Poe - These two sisters used to be called the Lovell Sisters when their third sister was with them. The third sister played the fiddle, and they were more Americana as the Lovell Sisters. As Larkin Poe, they are more a blues rock band, and they rocked the festival. Their electric blues was great. They did go back to their roots, and do some acoustic songs on mandolin and the dobro. Their supporting band was good.
Steep Canyon Rangers - They are always full of energy and a lot of fun. One of NC's finest bluegrass bands.
S.G. Goodman - This Kentucky girl was great. Her music is somewhat like Lucinda Williams, but with a different voice.
Old Crow Medicine Show - Just like the SCR, they are always fun. Willie Watson, who used to be with the band and a founding member, played with them. Willie Watson also did his own set, and his folk music is very good.
Uwade - Her set was short since she hasn't been around for long, but her voice stood out. I think she has a bright future.
Chatham County Line - This NC band is a mix of Americana and bluegrass, and always a pleasure to hear.
Shinyribs - They are a horn driven, funky, fun band. They are fun to dance to.
Bela Fleck - He is one of the best banjo players out there.
Chatham Rabbits - They are a NC duo that do roots/folk music. They are partners in music and in real life, and the banter between each other is funny, and their music is good, too.
Buffalo Nichols - He is a bluesman. He does his blues old school. He seemed to be living the blues, too, cause in his banter he seemed blue. Maybe that's why he did the blues so well.
The Sensational Barnes Brothers - These guys did gospel soul and r&b. A lot of people were grooving to them on Sunday afternoon.
Twisted Pine - They were good. Their music is bluegrass that was sometimes poppy, jazzy, and funky.
The Hillside Album Hour this year was Stevie Wonder's album Innervisions. The Waybacks performed it with special guest Lamont Van Hook.
- There were a lot of other acts, and I saw a bit of Turnpike Troubadours and Nickel Creek. Jim Lauderdale, Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas, Peter Rowan, The Kruger Brothers, Donna and the Buffalo, and Scythian perform every year at the festival.
Love me some Larkin Poe

Ty Segall last night in Chicago. Haven't seen him in a while, and thought they sounded great. Had a little two person orchestra box with my wife overlooking the stage with Ty facing toward us, shredding. Never had seats like that before, great view. Felt like we were onstage. Stuff off the new album was cool live. Proggy, intricate jams. Dug it. Disappointed that Charlie Moothart isn't in this band, but the drummer from Wand was his replacement and was solid. In addition to the Three Bells tunes, they played stuff off Manipulator, Goodbye Bread, Melted and Freedom's Goblin.

Off to Shaky Knees today. They just so happened to have four groups I've wanted to see in a row (and really nothing the other two days). Metric, The Revivalists, Young the Giant, and Arcade Fire on tap this afternoon.
Arcade Fire was absolutely brilliant.
Speaking of this group they are playing one show in the US this year (that isn't a festival). 20th Anniversary show at Red Rocks Amphitheater. Sooo tempted.

I saw The Decemberists last night. Great show (although be forewarned, the encore is Joan in the Garden).
The thing I like about the Decemberists in concert is that they always seem to have great openers. I've seen Alvvays open for them. And although you wouldn't consider them openers, I saw them in Central Park in a "triple-bill" with Deathcab for Cutie and Stars a ways back.
Last night it was Ratboys. They were great.

Maybe pole worthy, but do you guys like knowing the set list before a concert or being surprised?

Im always checking previous shows so I know what they are likely to play, especially in case I need to grab a beer or hit the bathroom

Maybe pole worthy, but do you guys like knowing the set list before a concert or being surprised?

Im always checking previous shows so I know what they are likely to play, especially in case I need to grab a beer or hit the bathroom
I do this for every show I see. My wife likes to be surprised so I don't spoil it unless she's gonna miss a good song for a food/drink/bathroom run.

Last edited:
Cro Mags & Helmet

Had no idea that the Cro-Mags stilled played shows. Good lineup!

Yeah bro. Tight set, for sure.

I look at them mostly to see the variety amongst them (if any). I like surprises too.

I saw The Decemberists last night. Great show (although be forewarned, the encore is Joan in the Garden).

Why the warning? Also, SPOILER ALERT
Why the warning? Well, it's a 20 minute song that I'm not particularly fond of (especially the screaming distortion toward the end).
W/r/t spoilers, in chatting with some of the other attendees we were told (unprompted) that that was going to be the encore and that they'd
be doing around 5 songs from the new album

I kept thinking during the encore that I should leave and beat traffic (in this era, the traffic of everyone calling an Uber/Lyft at show's end). As I was there with others, I didn't.
Still and all, a great show.

Has never occurred to me to look up previous set lists.

But I do remember reading that Temple of the Dog was doing War Pig on tour. When we saw them in LA, they played it, and we were like, ah OK, there it is.

I definitely would have been more excited if I was surprised, so I think I would actively avoid seeing recent set lists.

Absolutely not. Fortunately a lot of bands I see don't have a "set" setlist so looking at previous shows wouldn't matter.

Yeah, I always look. If the shows are similar enough (or the same) each night I will make a playlist to listen to leading up to the show.

Users who are viewing this thread