What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Concerts thread - FBG's lovin' live music, we're back in action! (1 Viewer)

U2 christened the Las Vegas Sphere last night, the videos are incredible!

My business partner was at the second night show and I would say had mixed reviews. The attraction itself - the globe lights, sound, video screens, etc. - are fantastic, amazing, incredible, etc. - name your superlative and that's what it is. There were some logistical issues, getting in and out, etc. and the band was working out some kinks (started an hour late, seemed out of synch at times.) Others at the show confirmed reports that the upper-level seating is very steep and can be disorientating - not recommended for those with vertigo but probably the best place for those who really want the full light show experience. He was sitting under an overhang so didn't get the full round effect above and behind, but they account for that somewhat with lights and speakers on the underside of the overhang ceiling above those seats. My feeling is it is undoubtedly a modern wonder and an incredible experience but probably not for me, especially for a band that I really like where I want to focus on the music and the band. I could see doing a walk through if I'm out there some day just to see it.

Recommend Nick Cave's tour if you're a fan of Nick Cave. When I bought the tickets many months ago I didn't realize it is a solo tour, with just him at a piano and a bass player (the guy from Radiohead.) What that means is it might be a bit unrelatable for someone not familiar with Cave's music. I personally loved the show. Very different from a Cave show with the Bad Seeds but super cool for me and the crowd loved him.

Recommend Nick Cave's tour if you're a fan of Nick Cave. When I bought the tickets many months ago I didn't realize it is a solo tour, with just him at a piano and a bass player (the guy from Radiohead.) What that means is it might be a bit unrelatable for someone not familiar with Cave's music. I personally loved the show. Very different from a Cave show with the Bad Seeds but super cool for me and the crowd loved him.
Yeah. I wish I could see him, but nada in FL. Would have seen him in Milwaukee, but I was already up there for another show over Labor Day weekend.

Pat Benatar and Neil Girardo were phenomenal as openers for Pink. Man - she’s 70. They both look like they are 50. Great shape. And still sounds like a powerful rocker with a classically trained voice. I’ve seen them in tiny venues and they owned SoFi.

Pink was good. Excellent entertainer. Don’t love all of her songs. Wife is a bigger fan. And I could do without all of the aerial acrobatics. However when it was just her doing acoustic she was so good. Great voice. Brought our Alanis Morrisette when she covered You Oughtta Know and the crowd went nuts. Overall fun night out

Just bought tickets for Billy Gibbons and friends at the Troubadour in Hollywood. Should be an all-star cast-filled jam session. Guns N Roses go on sale tomorrow. Hollywood Bowl. I'm at least a little intrigued.

Saw U2 at the Sphere last weekend. Definitely a must see (if not U2, which I highly recommend, then something else). It is an amazing venue and the visuals are stunning. We were in the 300 section and my wife was a little uncomfortable standing and looking down, so the Vertigo thing is a concern if that sort of stuff bothers you. I can't imagine if you had seats at the top of the 400's. It is certainly steeper than a standard arena/stadium.

Excited to see Yeah Yeah Yeahs

I almost picked them for MAD 31. :love: Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Have fun!
They were great but highlight was Mumford. I am not a huge fan but they put on an amazing show. This is third time seeing them and they crushed it again. They are worth seeing even if you just think they are so-so.
Thanks for posting this.

Going for Weekend Two. Was pretty much a given most of our group was going to be there for Mumford, but will push a little harder for those calling it a night early.

Saw The Darkness for the first time Saturday night. Awesome. Crowd was a lot smaller than I figured in a pretty small venue. Only complaint was the setlist was pretty short, 16 songs 90 minutes. Twentieth anniversary of Permission to Land so they played all the songs from that album plus a few more. I love Justin Hawkins.

YES!! Got Foo Fighters tickets for next July at Target Field! :pickle:

I got in on a Spotify presale and they were selling out in about 5 minutes.

Got tickets for the entire family for next July at Great American Ballpark a few days ago through citibank presale.

Will be catching them tomorrow night in Houston!

Absolutely F’ing Amazing! Dave is a national treasure. One of the greatest all around musicians/performers of all time. Second to Prince and maybe that’s it. In my opinion of course. Also, the new album is quite good.

Bought Guns N Roses and Eagles coming up in LA. Getting good seats in presales so figured what the heck. Probably need to slow it down a bit now

Excited to see Yeah Yeah Yeahs

I almost picked them for MAD 31. :love: Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Have fun!
They were great but highlight was Mumford. I am not a huge fan but they put on an amazing show. This is third time seeing them and they crushed it again. They are worth seeing even if you just think they are so-so.
Thanks for posting this.

Going for Weekend Two. Was pretty much a given most of our group was going to be there for Mumford, but will push a little harder for those calling it a night early.

Mumford was as advertised. Just amazing. What a way to close down ACL. They brought up Trombone Shorty and Celisse for a redition of House Of The Rising Sun that brought down the house. Other highlights included Foo Fighters (of course), Alanis (still rocking at her age and sounding amazing), The Lumineers, Maggie Rogers (biggest surprise for me), M83, Emlyn (best small stage performance), Portugal The Man, Kendrick Lamar (according to my daughter), Angel White, Ben Kweller (with McLovin on bass!!), DOPE LEMON (another surprise one for me) and Yeah Yeah Yeahs (Karen O will always be the best).

The not so good: The Breeders, missing 30 Second To Mars to see Alanis, Abraham Alexander (talented but something was off), Lil Yachty (old man get off my lawn moment), Nessa Barrett (she has something, but not worth a main stage)

For bringing chairs and "camping out" this year, still saw alot of music. Both kids want to go back next year, so happy Dad indeed.

If I'm picking up last minute tickets on Stubhub how close to time can I safely do this? From what I read the mobile transfer ones are instant? Ticket prices are dropping and I want to what kind of deals pop up late.

Has anyone seen the current YES lineup? I don't think any original members, but I am a huge fan of their early albums. I've found both of the kids listening to them so thinking of taking them.

Took my son last night. Steve Howe wasn't an original member but joined in the early 70's.

Show was just ok. Not really a fan of the lead singer. Average age of the crowd was about 89 and everyone sat the entire time. Weirdest part is that the opening act was a 40 minute powerpoint lecture on art by the artist that did all their album covers.

Has anyone seen the current YES lineup? I don't think any original members, but I am a huge fan of their early albums. I've found both of the kids listening to them so thinking of taking them.

Took my son last night. Steve Howe wasn't an original member but joined in the early 70's.

Show was just ok. Not really a fan of the lead singer. Average age of the crowd was about 89 and everyone sat the entire time. Weirdest part is that the opening act was a 40 minute powerpoint lecture on art by the artist that did all their album covers.

I can tell I'm getting old when I think that would be interesting.

Tomorrow night - Queen and Adam Lambert in Philly.

One of my absolute bucket list things in life.
You are going to absolutely love this show!
And you would be correct. My wife pulled me aside at one point and said, you realize you've been smiling for like an hour?

Just a great show. And Adam is no Freddie....no one is. But he is excellent. He isn't trying to be Freddie, and his own talent shines through. I would pay money to see Adam Lambert again.

The production was outstanding. All the call backs to their art, videos and history. Everything.

And Brian May is a machine. Nonstop on the guitar. Sounds like he's still 30 and he's 76. Roger Taylor still sounds great too.

Will forever be one of my favorite concerts ever.

Interesting. Yes is here on Monday, but I am not going. Just not a fan of what Yes has become. I am not one of those "this is not the real Yes" people, because Yes can sound like whatever they want, and they have had always changed members so much that the sound of the band is going to be a reflection of who the current members are, but the current incarnation is just lacking. I am sure it would still be a thrill to see Steve Howe play the guitar, but with no Jon Anderson or Chris Squire (may he RIP), I just have zero interest.

Saw U2 at the Sphere last weekend. Definitely a must see (if not U2, which I highly recommend, then something else). It is an amazing venue and the visuals are stunning. We were in the 300 section and my wife was a little uncomfortable standing and looking down, so the Vertigo thing is a concern if that sort of stuff bothers you. I can't imagine if you had seats at the top of the 400's. It is certainly steeper than a standard arena/stadium.
Saw two shows in Vegas over the weekend - the experiences couldn't have been more different:

1- Saw U2 at the Sphere - was pretty amazing. I'll call the band solid - Bono sounded good. I actually kind of liked that he seems to want to be a little lounge-singery. They threw in some snippets of songs that would be standard lounge act songs and I Bono seemed to enjoy playing that role for a bit.

Reports of vertigo concerns up high are legit. I typically suffer from motion sickness and being in the middle of the 400s was tough. There were a couple points in the show I had to simply close my eyes as the visuals were triggering dizziness for me. The view from up there is pretty spectacular for the visuals but pretty bad for seeing the stage - the band looked so small from up there. Lol

Finally, the sound at the Sphere is unlike anything I've ever experienced. There was no muddiness to the sound at all - every instrument was crystal clear. That's both a blessing and a curse - it was awesome overall but it allowed the audience to hear every mistake, instrumental or vocal. Nothing was getting caught up in the wash - it was all front and center.

U2/Sphere - very cool experience but I feel like very few bands can fill that space effectively. I can't imagine any one-off shows there as the time required to prepare the visuals seems only suited for residencies.

2 - Green Day was headlining the When We Were Young festival (85,000 people) on Saturday/Sunday. While I'm not a superfan, I've always liked Green Day's music and thought they'd be fun to see. So when they announced a surprise show for Thursday night at the Fremont Country Club with a capacity of 850 people, I had to at least try to get tickets. Somehow I got lucky.

The show was amazing. The club was packed to the gills and everyone was a hot sweaty mess and it felt exactly as I hoped it would. The energy was awesome and the setlist was killer. They started by playing Dookie in its entirety which was way cool. Then they played a great mix of songs to close out their set, including some fun deep tracks and Homecoming as the closer. From everything I've read the die-hards were going nuts about the setlist, so as casual fan I feel awfully lucky to have been there.

Last edited:
Went last Thursday and saw Depeche Mode with my kid in Nashville.

Kinda split on the show. These are definitely old rockers. Not a lot of stage presence. I felt like Gahan was doing his best Madonna impression of Vogue - lots of poses. Nothing like the Midnight Oil concerts I went to last year where the whole crowd was off the hook - by comparison pretty sterile.

BUT the music was pretty awesome and I got to hear what I wanted. Their new album is the best since Violator, so it was a good setlist. I figure they've been around long enough you never know if they are gonna go around any more. Check, seen 'em.

Saw two shows in Vegas over the weekend - the experiences couldn't have been more different:

1- Saw U2 at the Sphere - was pretty amazing. I'll call the band solid - Bono sounded good. I actually kind of liked that he seems to want to be a little lounge-singery. They threw in some snippets of songs that would be standard lounge act songs and I Bono seemed to enjoy playing that role for a bit.

Reports of vertigo concerns up high are legit. I typically suffer from motion sickness and being in the middle of the 400s was tough. There were a couple points in the show I had to simply close my eyes as the visuals were triggering dizziness for me. The view from up there is pretty spectacular for the visuals but pretty bad for seeing the stage - the band looked so small from up there. Lol

Finally, the sound at the Sphere is unlike anything I've ever experienced. There was no muddiness to the sound at all - every instrument was crystal clear. That's both a blessing and a curse - it was awesome overall but it allowed the audience to hear every mistake, instrumental or vocal. Nothing was getting caught up in the wash - it was all front and center.

U2/Sphere - very cool experience but I feel like very few bands can fill that space effectively. I can't imagine any one-off shows there as the time required to prepare the visuals seems only suited for residencies.

2 - Green Day was headlining the When We Were Young festival (85,000 people) on Saturday/Sunday. While I'm not a superfan, I've always liked Green Day's music and thought they'd be fun to see. So when they announced a surprise show for Thursday night at the Fremont Country Club with a capacity of 850 people, I had to at least try to get tickets. Somehow I got lucky.

The show was amazing. The club was packed to the gills and everyone was a hot sweaty mess and it felt exactly as I hoped it would. The energy was awesome and the setlist was killer. They started by playing Dookie in its entirety which was way cool. Then they played a great mix of songs to close out their set, including some fun deep tracks and Homecoming as the closer. From everything I've read the die-hards were going nuts about the setlist, so as casual fan I feel awfully lucky to have been there.
Went with wife to the “When we were Young” festival mentioned. It was very hot and packed and we drank too much for the situation, but anyway the bands were pretty cool if you like that style. I thought the offspring show was good. Blink and Green Day were good. Crowd for Blink was nuts. I did miss a little of that because wife wanted to support Bowling for Soup at another stage. Other than that, they made it easy to see the big acts alternating the main stages.

Motion City Soundtrack, Newfound Glory, Avril Lavigne, Sum41, Rise Against are some others we caught. We made it from start to finish, but barely could walk back after.

Users who are viewing this thread