What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Commissioners......If league was won by a non-paying (1 Viewer)

Deuceman

Footballguy
The champion of our league did not pay his league fee from the message posted on the board by the commish. The commish states since the member did not pay his league fee he will not get his $$$$ or the trophy for winning the league. Mind you that the winner of the league was #1 overall in points, record, playoff seed and ran through the playoffs unscratched.

Should he not be paid because he did not pay his fee? It seems like the commish should just take the entry fee from the winnings.

Last edited by a moderator:
The champion of our league did not pay his league fee from the message posted on the board by the commish. The commish states since he did not pay his league fee he will not get his $$$$ or the trophy for winning the league. Mind you that the winner of the league was #1 overall in points, record, playoff seed and ran through the playoffs unscratched.Should he not be paid because he did not pay his fee? It seems like the commish should just take the entry fee from the winnings.
Why would the commish win the money............. :thumbup:

The champion of our league did not pay his league fee from the message posted on the board by the commish. The commish states since he did not pay his league fee he will not get his $$$$ or the trophy for winning the league. Mind you that the winner of the league was #1 overall in points, record, playoff seed and ran through the playoffs unscratched.

Should he not be paid because he did not pay his fee? It seems like the commish should just take the entry fee from the winnings.
He should absolutely NOT do this. If the guy hadn't have won he would not have paid his fee. Letting him have a free ride was bad enough, he definately should not profit from it. Donate it to a worthy charity or increase the prizes to other finishers. If I'm the commish - this freeloader gets nothing.

The champion of our league did not pay his league fee from the message posted on the board by the commish. The commish states since the member did not pay his league fee he will not get his $$$$ or the trophy for winning the league. Mind you that the winner of the league was #1 overall in points, record, playoff seed and ran through the playoffs unscratched.Should he not be paid because he did not pay his fee? It seems like the commish should just take the entry fee from the winnings.
i have had this happen with friends. I just paid them the winnings minus the fee.

In leagues where you don't just pay right away (which I don't understand)...best to have a rule that either you get the money minus your fee...or that failing to pay you give up your rights to any winnings to the next place teams.

Well first, I would never let this happen my league. But since you want opinions...

Roll it over to next year... BIG payday for the 2009 winner.

The champion of our league did not pay his league fee from the message posted on the board by the commish. The commish states since he did not pay his league fee he will not get his $$$$ or the trophy for winning the league. Mind you that the winner of the league was #1 overall in points, record, playoff seed and ran through the playoffs unscratched.

He should absolutely NOT do this. If the guy hadn't have won he would not have paid his fee. Letting him have a free ride was bad enough, he definately should not profit from it. Donate it to a worthy charity or increase the prizes to other finishers. If I'm the commish - this freeloader gets nothing.
I agree with this. It should never have gotten this far since he should have been required to pay the fee up front, but since he didn't pay at all he forfeited the opportunity to win money IMO.

Every unpaid week should be an automatic loss. Solves late payments and eliminates a non-payer from receiving anything....

The champion of our league did not pay his league fee from the message posted on the board by the commish. The commish states since the member did not pay his league fee he will not get his $$$$ or the trophy for winning the league. Mind you that the winner of the league was #1 overall in points, record, playoff seed and ran through the playoffs unscratched.Should he not be paid because he did not pay his fee? It seems like the commish should just take the entry fee from the winnings.
We have a rules that state any team that does not pay cannot compete for money. The team will also be removed at the end of the year (unwritten rule). If you didn't put in how can you take out?

The champion of our league did not pay his league fee from the message posted on the board by the commish. The commish states since the member did not pay his league fee he will not get his $$$$ or the trophy for winning the league.
That's total BS unless that was established by rule beforehand. If he wasn't going to allow the guy to win, he shouldn't have let him manage his team all season. We've had lots of cases of guys putting off paying in my main money league and they all eventually came through with the cash. Personally I think it would be better to insist on the dough before week 1, but since we don't it's never been an issue when a non-payer won. His fee was just removed from his winnings. My guess is that the commish has spent the cash and is looking for a loophole to get out of coming up with it.

To allow a team to pay for free all season, win $$$ (minus fees) is a

:sarcasm: of a league.

I wouldn't be on board next season

How did he make it past week 1 if he didn't pay the entry fee?
my thoughts exactly...he sure would not have made it 16 weeks into the season with no fees paid.
I run one league where I let a guy slide on the entry fee due to personal reasons. However, at that point, the debt is on me. I will pay out the winners accordingly and the guy owes a personal debt to me. Collect all fees up front or it's on the commish in my opinion.

League of friends - pay winnings minus the fee.League of people over the Internet that you don't know - Don't pay anything...maybe split half to the second place team and half to the third place.

Agree, anyone that is a commissioner knows the worst part of the job is collecting money. It is payback time for the Commish. Every team in the playoffs move up a notch.

The champion of our league did not pay his league fee from the message posted on the board by the commish. The commish states since the member did not pay his league fee he will not get his $$$$ or the trophy for winning the league. Mind you that the winner of the league was #1 overall in points, record, playoff seed and ran through the playoffs unscratched.

League of friends - pay winnings minus the fee.League of people over the Internet that you don't know - Don't pay anything...maybe split half to the second place team and half to the third place.
What type of friend doesn't pay up?

Agree, anyone that is a commissioner knows the worst part of the job is collecting money. It is payback time for the Commish. Every team in the playoffs move up a notch.
If you are going to do this explain, then, why the owner was allowed into the playoffs in the first place.

What type of friend doesn't pay up?
Exactly my point. They're good for it if they didn't win the championship, and should be able to be trusted to pay the fees after the season.

As a commish in multiple leagues, my initial response is no winnings to a non-paying owner. With that in mind, obviously we don't know everything that is going on. I had one owner lose his job before the season started and paying a league fine was secondary to having a life with his family. I sucked up the member dues and went along with the season. That said, I knew this early on and didn't wait until the end of the season.

Tough call.

You got to be in it to win it.
That's fine if it is established in advance. It's the after-the-fact nature of this decision which seems very fishy to me.
What kind of a moron would expect to get paid out of a pot they didn't contribute to? It seems like nothing is anybody's fault anymore. It is where our society has gone but I am trying to keep it out of my personal life. This guy is SOL and he can only blame himself.

First of all, make sure the rules for the league get revised so your league doesn't have a repeat occurrence in the future. On principle, I don't have a problem with the guy's money being withheld if he was being told that was going to be a consequence of non-payment. However, if the commish didn't take steps to make the guy pay during the season, then the fault lies with the commissioner allowing this owner a free ride for the season. In that case, pay the guy the money minus the fee, and establish clear payment guidelines for 2009 and beyond. Or perhaps fine him $10 per week he didn't pay and give that cash to 2nd and 3rd place, or use it to pay for the league web site next season.

That's fine if it is established in advance. It's the after-the-fact nature of this decision which seems very fishy to me.
What kind of a moron would expect to get paid out of a pot they didn't contribute to? It seems like nothing is anybody's fault anymore. It is where our society has gone but I am trying to keep it out of my personal life. This guy is SOL and he can only blame himself.
He had far-and-away the top team according to the original post. He was probably just assuming he was in the $ and the entry fee would take care of itself. The commissioner taking this action without any prior warning to the owner basically amounts to theft in my book.

Still haven't addressed the after-the-fact nature of this. If you feel so strongly against it explain the reasoning why it's OK to all the other leaguemates that he was allowed to play, and beat them, the whole season. If I was an owner in the league, and this guy took a playoff spot meaning that I didn't get in, and then it comes out that he can't win anything anyway, I'd be pretty pissed off that I wasn't allowed to get in the playoffs.I think the main point here is why was the owner allowed to go through the whole season, amassing wins and handing out losses to other owners, and then taking up a playoff spot.

To allow a team to pay for free all season, win $$$ (minus fees) is a :lmao: of a league.I wouldn't be on board next season
really? You guys are some strict peopleWe've run it that way from the beginning. Of course we're all friends and have been playing since I think 92 or 93.half the guys pay at the draft and half the guys pay after the season is over. If anyone wins money we just deduct if they haven't paid.I'm in 3 other leagues that all operates the same way and have never had a problem. Last year was the lone exception where a guy was down on his luck and I didn't get paid until March. I however don't payout anything until all money is collected - so that gets the peer pressure going :PBut seriously, I can argue both sides but if everyone is friendly I don't see the big deal :) - I mean I have to collect transaction fees from everyone after the season :)
that's how I feel. How we've always done it.

Man, what a trainwreck. I agree with the previous posts. All the commish had to do to resolve this was just not allow the guy to field a team until he pays. A painfully simple (and effective) rule to enforce. Even one week of taking an L that should have been a W and I guarantee he comes up with the scratch in a hurry.

By waiting until the end of the year to enforce this, now the commish himself just looks shady - as though he was quietly biding his time and thinking "Please, just don't pay and I don't have to come up with the money this year".

He shouldn't be paid for winning. I'm okay with either rolling it over to '09 or moving everyone up a spot in payouts.

seems to me like the original poster is also the guy who won the league without paying.

but I think it really depends on the situation. For example, in my work league everyone is good friends. One guy got another job and moved across country. Of course the league is run online so he is still in the league and just settles at the end of the season... we trust him, so no body cares I think thats the key here...

He had far-and-away the top team according to the original post. He was probably just assuming he was in the $ and the entry fee would take care of itself. The commissioner taking this action without any prior warning to the owner basically amounts to theft in my book.
Sometimes I forget how loosely allot of these league are run. You are right and he may be going on past experience.

No way in hell would I pay out $ to someone who never paid their fee. That would have been stated long before it was established who had the best team. I'd roll 1st place $ over to next years pot and give the owner who never paid the chance to win it back next year, but only IF he paid his league fees prior to a few weeks before to the draft. Replace him with another owner if that doesn't work for him. Piss poor job by the commish of this league to put everyone in this position.

Crusaderfan said:
Deuceman said:

I tend to agree with you but I would say that it depends on the relationship of everyone in the league. In my league, we are all good friends but there have been times where an owner or two forgot to pay the fee and paid it at a later date when reminded. I know that anyone in our league would be good for the fees even after the season was over so I'd have no problem deducting the fee from the winnings. If I was in a league with co-workers or online with strangers, I'd say no winnings to the winner but he gets his bragging rights.If the league didn't remind this guy that he owed and let him keep playing without a reminder, I can also see just docking the winnings to pay his fee.

But maybe the commish should just dock him the full amount but set it aside to pay his entry fees for the past PLUS the next few years since he has trouble remembering to pay it. Owner gets the value of his winnings (in store credit, so to speak), the league gets its fee and the issue is avoided for the next few years. Bet no one else forgets to pay from this time forward!

in my leagues we have thing called deadlines. if a team doesnt pay by a certain date they are hosed. it's quite simple really. if this guy didnt make the deadline his team should have been frozen, penalized, whatever. it's up to your league to agree on the rules before the season.

I'd like to say that while I don't agree with a person not paying, it's obviously somewhat acceptable in this league. It's not the huge crime it would be in many leagues.

In my opinion, the person should get the trophy and be declared the winner. They played every week just like everyone else, and it was accepted by the league and commish. But they should get no money. Second place should get the winner's pot.

One year I was that guy. I never got around to paying my fee and eventually the commish just took it out of my winnings as the champion. Now I feel like what I did was bad for the league and set a bad precedent. I was just lazy; I wasn't being a jerk on purpose. But it would have been appropriate to give the money to someone who actually paid. I did what it took to win the league (win), but I didn't do what it took to win the pot (ante up).

inca911 said:
Every unpaid week should be an automatic loss. Solves late payments and eliminates a non-payer from receiving anything....
..and also benefits those teams lucky enough to be matched up head2head with the huckster. Imagine playoff seedings determined by who was lucky enough to play a non--paying owner in the first few weeks of the season? I think you have to keep the weekly results legit. Doing something with the prize money is the way to tinker, not with the standings.

The commish must pay him out. If the fact that this owner has been playing this whole time without paying has been acceptable by the league, and more importantly the commish, then the commish has to pay him. Seriously, if there is an issue here, then the one at fault is the commish for letting the guy even draft his team without paying! And if this has been an issue to any other member of the league, then they should've stepped up and voiced their opinion about it LONG BEFORE week 17. It's a vicious circle, I know, but it's an issue that IMO should've been addressed long before now.

I'm of the belief that a commish doesn't let anyone even manage their team until they pay. That's just me. One league I run is full of very good buddies, lifelong fantasy football players, but we all understand that sometimes #### happens, and it's a good idea to take care of finances before the action starts. Of course, not every league is the same, and I am not insulting anyone's league that does not follow this same logic. If you have a group of lifelong buddies, coworkers..etc, and if this has been acceptable for the entire league for years, then more power to you.

I can see both sides of this, but one thing FOR SURE that I haven't seen mentioned much by anyone is that THE COMMISH DEFINITELY DOES NOT GET TO KEEP THE MONEY.

I can see:

1) If a league of friends or what not, taking out the fee and paying the rest to the owner

2) Splitting the winnings amongst the other playoff teams

3) Rolling it over to next year

I can NOT see:

1) The commish seeing $.01 of that money under any circumstances other than by virtue of being a playoff team.

Big said:
Deuceman said:
Exactly. This ain't rocket science.I've been playing with friends for 12 years. We rarely have everyone pay on time every season. However, everyone always ponies up in time to pay out the winners. Not a big deal at all.

Quick question for some of you poker players (and should even work for those of you who don't play):

Have you ever seen someone sit down at a poker table with no money and say "I'm good for it" and then start winning pots and taking money?

But maybe the commish should just dock him the full amount but set it aside to pay his entry fees for the past PLUS the next few years since he has trouble remembering to pay it. Owner gets the value of his winnings (in store credit, so to speak), the league gets its fee and the issue is avoided for the next few years. Bet no one else forgets to pay from this time forward!
This is a great comprimise. Champ still gets his money but it's in the form of league dues. I like this option a lot.

alot of you guys must play with people you don't know very well. all my money leagues everyone just pays up what they owe at the end. The champ always has had their money by awards night in january. Hardly a trainwreck idea....

This is a great comprimise. Champ still gets his money but it's in the form of league dues. I like this option a lot.
Agreed. And if he wants to leave the league, then it's his responsibility to get the new owner to pay him the money. If not, the new owner gets a nice free ride.

Paying out 1st place to a team that never anted up sets a bad precedent imo. So what happens in future years if guys take this same liberty and then don't win, or don't even make the playoffs? Good luck getting the cash from a losing team. If I win the pot in a future year and get a less than advertised payout because a losing team or two never anted up, or have my payout delayed until March (as one poster mentioned above, waiting on collecting) I'd be a little pissed, and probably not be back.

Based on the OP's story, it sounds like this is a casual league among friends, but doesn't the league have rules? Even the simplest of leagues should have some basic rules about the draft, starting lineups, scoring, playoff format, dues, payouts, etc....

ETA: I'm not saying the commish shouldn't payout (and keep the $ himself). Sounds like the commish is at fault here too, since his job does include administering the league (collecting $). But just paying the winner less his fee probably sets a bad precedent too.

Quick question for some of you poker players (and should even work for those of you who don't play):

Have you ever seen someone sit down at a poker table with no money and say "I'm good for it" and then start winning pots and taking money?
Yes. And I also owed 120 beans. :thumbdown: However the poker games did break out unexpectedly

Users who are viewing this thread