What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Commissioner Question - Best date for rookie draft in a dynasty league (1 Viewer)

Keith R

The Don
Right now, we are set to begin the rookie draft by email on July 8.  Would it be better to begin the draft right after the NFL draft?  

This is question of preference.  As long as it is clear for everyone there is no right answer.  I know many people that prefer to draft before the NFL draft because their preference is for people to draft on ability rather than landing spot.  I also know many people that want to draft after the NFL draft because landing spot matters.   There are plusses and minuses to either time frame.  

For us we draft as late into pre season as possible.  We draft the Saturday before Labor Day weekend every year.  You know what team rookies are on and you know about 3 weeks of pre season games.  More information the better, IMO.  

We do a live draft though so it takes place in one day.  If you are doing a slow draft you definitely need to start soon enough to make sure you are done by the time the season starts.  

One of my dynasties drafts a week after the NFL draft. I dont agree with it and think it hurts the bottom teams. IMO, they need all the information they can get to make good draft decisions. My other leagues draft sometime in August. 

One of my dynasties drafts a week after the NFL draft. I dont agree with it and think it hurts the bottom teams. IMO, they need all the information they can get to make good draft decisions. 
That is a great point.  Early July to start an email draft may be close to ideal

We do ours in May. It's nice having it down after the NFL rookie draft, but before training camp / pre-season. Unlike the other fella, I enjoy earlier because those who are more prepared get rewarded vs those who wait for pre-season leaks to come out. 

For us we draft as late into pre season as possible.  We draft the Saturday before Labor Day weekend every year.  You know what team rookies are on and you know about 3 weeks of pre season games.  More information the better, IMO. 
We do ours Labor Day weekend.  It is a live draft as well.  And even with having all the possible information and seeing the pre-season games, we STILL screw up the picks as a majority!  😆

I like Dynasty drafts to be earlier than redraft.  I try to do all 6 of my redraft leagues as close to Labor Day as possible.  Dynasty should be after the real draft in April but before pre-season games I believe.  We are doing our best to be real GMs some of that means drafting without seeing them play in the NFL.  We usually do ours in one of the later weekends in June.

Users who are viewing this thread