What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Ladd McConkey, LAC (6 Viewers)

Kent Lee Platte
Ladd McConkey is a WR prospect in the 2024 draft class. He scored an unofficial 9.26 #RAS out of a possible 10.00. This ranked 232 out of 3107 WR from 1987 to 2024.

Official agility times pending (meaning with documentation)

ras.football/ras-informatio…

Jordan Reid
Ladd McConkey with official 4.04 short shuttle and 6.72 3-cone times today at Pro Day.

Jim Nagy
Lots out there today on Ladd McConkey's pro-day. First, there's no such thing as "official" pro-day times for anything, 40's or shuttles.

The way this works, at the end of the workout all the NFL scouts will huddle up to share all their times. Scouts who were timing 10-yd splits need 40-yard times and guys timing 40's need the 10's.

When it comes to shuttles, most pro-days "shotgun" the 3-cone and SS, meaning they run them at same time. Therefore, when the scouts huddle-up to share info, one or two scouts who were timing 3-cone share their times and a couple who were at short shuttle station share those.

Fact is, every team is using the times their scouts got that day.

FWIW, I've had a couple teams tell me they had McConkey's shuttle sub-4.00 (3.98 & 3.99).

Seeing people on here debate negligible differences in agility times is silly.

Fast is fast. And Ladd has done everything fast this pre-draft process.

The 33rd Team
Our scouting report on Ladd McConkey, via @gregcosell :

𝗪𝗘𝗔𝗞𝗡𝗘𝗦𝗦𝗘𝗦
• None

𝗦𝗧𝗥𝗘𝗡𝗚𝗧𝗛𝗦
• Smooth, fluid, loose-hipped, shifty wide receiver with extensive experience lining up outside and in the slot.

• Short-area burst and quickness is immediately evident. No wasted motion or steps in and out of cuts.

• Shows excellent short-area quickness to defeat press coverage and get into vertical stem without disruption.

• Knows how to use vertical stem to attack corners to get them off their spot and/or get their bodies turned.

• Shows the athletic ability and body control to stop and change direction with few steps and then short-area burst.

• Has natural quickness as a route runner with burst and accelerating speed to run by and get on top of corners.

• Outstanding stop-start ability. In and out of breaks with sudden burst and quickness. Separation generator.

• Flashes body control and soft hands to make back shoulder catches from the outside and on slot fades.

• Elusive run-after-catch traits with lateral quickness to make defenders miss in space. Shows fluid shiftiness.

At this point, I'd be shocked if he wasn't a 1st round pick.
I would be. WR is just so deep.

Teams aren’t going to see him as a dominant #1. I think you have to at least have that potential to be a first round pick.

Edit: Also, I thought we weren't allowed to compare him to Cooper Kupp?! :lol:

Last edited:

Teams aren’t going to see him as a dominant #1. I think you have to at least have that potential to be a first round pick.

As pretty much the driver of this bandwagon, even I'm surprised at how much he's aced the tests. Kupp is the ceiling, but its looking more attainable.

As pretty much the driver of this bandwagon, even I'm surprised at how much he's aced the tests. Kupp is the ceiling, but its looking more attainable.
He'll be one of those guys that has a productive 10+ year career on a consistent winner and teams/fans will just be like, "damn we could have had him."

No one loves McConkey more than me and his combine just added to that. BUT.....at the senior bowl, once they stopped giving him cushion he was shut down. So I worry about him against physical DBs. Is that warranted?

No one loves McConkey more than me and his combine just added to that. BUT.....at the senior bowl, once they stopped giving him cushion he was shut down. So I worry about him against physical DBs. Is that warranted?
Probably a little. He rarely faced press at Georgia, so it could very well just be an experience thing. I noticed that with Brian Thomas, Adonai Mitchell, and Xavier Worthy too. Just not a lot of reps against press. Tez Walker was basically swallowed up by jams, and he makes me really nervous for that reason.

Meanwhile Malik Nabers basically destroyed anyone who pressed him.

Probably a little. He rarely faced press at Georgia, so it could very well just be an experience thing. I noticed that with Brian Thomas, Adonai Mitchell, and Xavier Worthy too. Just not a lot of reps against press.

Right. Above I note something odd in his game. Slow first couple steps then a really good burst into his routes. Ever play hoops and guard someone with really good hesitation moves? It's hard, and Ladd does something similar on the football field. So does Kupp, but it makes me wonder about press coverage.

Right about the other three you mention too. They didn't get pressed much that I saw and I watched a bunch of Texas. I'll add this about Worthy because it literally had me laughing watching him. When he was pressed, and granted it wasn't anything like nfl corners, he destroyed the db off the line with quicks. A couple of his longer tds came from beating press coverage. I loved him long before the combine, and it wasn't for his speed. It was for his complete game. As much as I like it, Ladd's is even better.

It depends on where they go, but for now, I have Ladd as wr5 and Worthy as wr6. That's maybe unfair to Franklin, Mitchell and a few others. It's a jumbled mess with a variety of different types of talent. I doubt anyone has it figured out. But what a class of wrs to watch.

Probably a little. He rarely faced press at Georgia, so it could very well just be an experience thing. I noticed that with Brian Thomas, Adonai Mitchell, and Xavier Worthy too. Just not a lot of reps against press.

Right. Above I note something odd in his game. Slow first couple steps then a really good burst into his routes. Ever play hoops and guard someone with really good hesitation moves? It's hard, and Ladd does something similar on the football field. So does Kupp, but it makes me wonder about press coverage.

Right about the other three you mention too. They didn't get pressed much that I saw and I watched a bunch of Texas. I'll add this about Worthy because it literally had me laughing watching him. When he was pressed, and granted it wasn't anything like nfl corners, he destroyed the db off the line with quicks. A couple of his longer tds came from beating press coverage. I loved him long before the combine, and it wasn't for his speed. It was for his complete game. As much as I like it, Ladd's is even better.

It depends on where they go, but for now, I have Ladd as wr5 and Worthy as wr6. That's maybe unfair to Franklin, Mitchell and a few others. It's a jumbled mess with a variety of different types of talent. I doubt anyone has it figured out. But what a class of wrs to watch.
I've got McConkey WR5, and I can argue him over Thomas depending on the type of WR a team needs. I've noticed that same thing about McConkey. Those hesitation moves are hit/miss, but they make defenders look silly when they hit.

I have a very different take on Worthy. I'm not a fan of his. He did destroy some CBs off the line, but several completely stood him up, and not like just top guys, but like day 3 CBs. I think Worthy is kind of soft, like he's small, but he plays small too. I thought both Dell and Downs were better prospects despite their size, obviously Addison too. I think Worthy is a #3 WR in the NFL. I think he's a Darnell Mooney level guy. I think Mitchell (my WR6 and maybe climbing) is a much better prospect.

Great class overall, and crazy deep. Probably 20 WRs in this class who look like at least #3 WRs in the NFL, and Harrison/Nabers might be the best combo at the top since Green/Julio.

Landing spot will really matter for McConkey. Probably more than any other receiver not named Xavier Worthy.

Landing spot will really matter for McConkey. Probably more than any other receiver not named Xavier Worthy.
Why is this exactly?
I believe both are the type of receivers that will need a top end QB and more importantly scheme, to be successful in the NFL. I saw McConkey get shut down in the senior bowl once they quit giving him a cushion. Worthy is 5'11 165 and I question his ability to beat physical corners. This is where scheme comes into play. A coach willing to use them the right way is paramount. A top QB delivering them the ball is important too, but you could say that about a lot of WRs. I just think without these things it limits both in fantasy production.

If you can't beat press off the line not sure any QB is going to do much for you really.

Scheme may do though.
Yes, that is where scheme in how they are used is most important, but good coaching in their ability to get off the line is equally important. Especially with guys who already have the quickness to do so, but are lacking in technique.

This guy is a Sean McVay type of receiver if ive ever seen one. He could be great in the right scheme. But if he has to make things happen on his own, well that would be bad.

Why is this exactly?
I believe both are the type of receivers that will need a top end QB and more importantly scheme, to be successful in the NFL. I saw McConkey get shut down in the senior bowl once they quit giving him a cushion. Worthy is 5'11 165 and I question his ability to beat physical corners. This is where scheme comes into play. A coach willing to use them the right way is paramount. A top QB delivering them the ball is important too, but you could say that about a lot of WRs. I just think without these things it limits both in fantasy production.
So basically, if he goes to KC at 32 then to the moon, right?

Why is this exactly?
It couldn’t hurt

Doug Farrar
Ladd McConkey, WR, Georgia

PLUSES

-- Route mastery is clear from his tape; McConkey has the full route tree at his disposal, and he can take that right to the NFL.

-- McConkey uses an impressive burst off the line of scrimmage to set cornerbacks up in press or off coverage, and then, those cornerbacks are going to have issues with his sudden cuts into and out of his breaks.

-- Has a great sense of how to force the defender into a spot, and then will break away quickly to get open.

-- Especially for his size (6-foot-0, 186), McConkey has no issue getting grimy catches in traffic, or breaking tackles on an end-around.

-- Not at all limited to the slot; he had 485 wide snaps and 204 slot snaps through his Georgia career.

MINUSES

-- McConkey doesn't project as an X-iso receiver per se; he can get boxed out of contested catch situations, especially at the boundary.

-- He's at his best when he has space to create, and while he has the foot movement and short-area quickness to beat press off the line, that could be an adjustment in the NFL.

-- Bigger, more aggressive NFL cornerbacks could give him fits for a while; he might need a couple more techniques to get free from those guys.

Every passing game is better with one of those "death by a thousand paper cuts" receivers who can get you that 6-8 yards on third-and-whatever. McConkey is absolutely that guy.

And if he's in an offense where designed openings are the order of the day, he'll use his understanding of the nuances of the position to become a great asset. He's more than just a little slot guy at the next level.

Why is this exactly?
I would love to have him on the Chiefs. Perfect guy for them.

Why is this exactly?
He won't get past the Bills.

Is anyone else not at all sold on this guy? College metrics and production aren’t good. He’s always hurt even dating back to high school. I can’t believe he’s being talked about as a 1st round pick.

Is anyone else not at all sold on this guy? College metrics and production aren’t good. He’s always hurt even dating back to high school. I can’t believe he’s being talked about as a 1st round pick.
Depends on the metrics, because some of his are great. Like Y/RR and 1dwn/RR. When he was on the field, he was big deal. And his tape looks good too. That's why he's getting the hype he's gotten.

Why is this exactly?
He won't get past the Bills.
Bill’s need a big outside receiver or someone who can pop the lid off the defense. They are stacked with guys who are better suited to play inside. I would be shocked if they even considered McConkey.

A Tyler Lockett that doesn't go down on first contact. Though with his injury history, he might want to incorporate just a little bit more of protecting himself hah. If you're landing on "ah, he's that standard white slot guy who just outworks people", I think you're underselling him. He took nearly 70% of his snaps outside and worked as more of a flanker than a slot. And Harmon's RP had him in the 80% with success rate against man coverage. And you see that on his tape IMO, running very sharp routes, but also showing the ability and instinct to adjust those routes when he identified he was running against zone instead; carving routes between areas and finding the soft spots. He showed ability to run a full route tree, including being a solid deep threat. His hands are terrific and I only marked one drop for him in the condensed games I watched. I don't think his size will allow him to be a dominant X receiver, nor do I think I'd project him to be a top 5 guy in his career; but I think consistent seasons of 8-16 or so is much more likely than the WRs he's being drafted around, and often behind. I think depending on landing spot, he will be a QBs best friend and security blanket similar to a Lockett/Pittman/Nacua.

I'm having a hard time keeping him behind BTJ at WR5 in this class, and wouldn't be surprised if I bump him up to WR4 ahead of him when considering their respective ADPs. If I can trade back a few spots and get McConkey+ instead of BTJ, I'd be doing it. If I have to pick one player where I'm higher than consensus to plant a flag on, it's between McConkey and Pearsall at their current ADPs.

A Tyler Lockett that doesn't go down on first contact. Though with his injury history, he might want to incorporate just a little bit more of protecting himself hah. If you're landing on "ah, he's that standard white slot guy who just outworks people", I think you're underselling him. He took nearly 70% of his snaps outside and worked as more of a flanker than a slot. And Harmon's RP had him in the 80% with success rate against man coverage. And you see that on his tape IMO, running very sharp routes, but also showing the ability and instinct to adjust those routes when he identified he was running against zone instead; carving routes between areas and finding the soft spots. He showed ability to run a full route tree, including being a solid deep threat. His hands are terrific and I only marked one drop for him in the condensed games I watched. I don't think his size will allow him to be a dominant X receiver, nor do I think I'd project him to be a top 5 guy in his career; but I think consistent seasons of 8-16 or so is much more likely than the WRs he's being drafted around, and often behind. I think depending on landing spot, he will be a QBs best friend and security blanket similar to a Lockett/Pittman/Nacua.

I'm having a hard time keeping him behind BTJ at WR5 in this class, and wouldn't be surprised if I bump him up to WR4 ahead of him when considering their respective ADPs. If I can trade back a few spots and get McConkey+ instead of BTJ, I'd be doing it. If I have to pick one player where I'm higher than consensus to plant a flag on, it's between McConkey and Pearsall at their current ADPs.
100% this.

The idea that McConkey is just some slot WR and isn't a downfield player who can't pop the lid off defenses is just bad information. He's very much on the same size/speed level as Zay Flowers a year ago, who was used as a deep threat, and a quick hitter guy.

If you just use last season, McConkey was outside on 79% of his snaps, with a 12.2 aDOT. Both numbers quite a bit higher than Xavier Worthy as an example.

100% this.

The idea that McConkey is just some slot WR and isn't a downfield player who can't pop the lid off defenses is just bad information. He's very much on the same size/speed level as Zay Flowers a year ago, who was used as a deep threat, and a quick hitter guy.

If you just use last season, McConkey was outside on 79% of his snaps, with a 12.2 aDOT. Both numbers quite a bit higher than Xavier Worthy as an example.
It has been mentioned that he has struggled with press coverage which is why if the case I think he is better suited for the slot. Obviously something many college receivers struggle with so he certainly could improve if it is actually an issue at all.

100% this.

It has been mentioned that he has struggled with press coverage which is why if the case I think he is better suited for the slot. Obviously something many college receivers struggle with so he certainly could improve if it is actually an issue at all.
Yeah, he definitely did struggle with press at the line (I believe RP had him just under 50% success rate, so not abysmal, but certainly a weakness [edit; also a small sample size]), and I'm guessing because of his size that it won't be an area of his game he sees vast improvement in. I think it's the type of thing that a good coach/OC can/should scheme around as just shoving him in the slot and leaving him there I think is severely capping his potential (ie. he's too good to waste there). Someone earlier in the thread mentioned he screams "McVay WR" and I'm guessing this is why. If the run his off the line as a flanker like he was used in college to avoid jams, line him up in stacked formations, run him through pre-snap motions to get free releases; that will vastly open up his potential. I guess another way to put it is he will be more landing spot dependent for sure. Few WRs of his size excel against press, but still find success through creative offensive schemes; I think he would fall in that group.

Would taking him at 11 in SF be a stretch? I also have 15 but I'm not sure he gets there at this stage. Obviously landing spot is everything but am I nuts for thinking to pull the trigger there?

Would taking him at 11 in SF be a stretch? I also have 15 but I'm not sure he gets there at this stage. Obviously landing spot is everything but am I nuts for thinking to pull the trigger there?
I don’t think it would be. He’s probably going there or at worst a few picks later. Get your guy imo

Not at all...obviously the actual draft will change things but if it goes the way many are predicting you will have 4 QBs (Caleb-Daniels-Maye-JJM), 4 WRs (Harrison-Nabers-Odunze-Thomas) and 1 TE (Bowers) that will probably go before him but after that it's anything goes...as far as SF goes the x-factor will be Penix and Nix as when and where they get drafted will have a huge effect on your two picks at 11 and 15.

Users who are viewing this thread