What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Adonai Mitchell, IND (4 Viewers)

This guy is perplexing to me.
You and me both. I had him firmly in the Tier 3 WR ranking
Tier 1 = MHJ, Tier 2 = Nabers/Odunze and Tier 3 = Franklin, Thomas, Mitchell & McConkey
But I believe that I read that AD Mitchell transferred from Georgia because McConkey was getting more playing time over him (read = better)
So did he evolve and develop more at Texas as a WR or was it just the scheme and McConkey is superior to him as a WR.

I have 1.09 & 1.12 picks so I am looking for some in put here ...

Tier 1 = MHJ, Tier 2 = Nabers/Odunze and Tier 3 = Franklin, Thomas, Mitchell & McConkey
But I believe that I read that AD Mitchell transferred from Georgia because McConkey was getting more playing time over him (read = better)
So did he evolve and develop more at Texas as a WR or was it just the scheme and McConkey is superior to him as a WR.

He transferred from Georgia to Texas to be closer to his daughter.

Knocks seem to be the athleticism and speed don’t always show up on tape. Takes plays off. Great TD production, but limited receptions and yardage. Not a willing blocker. Teams wonder if he’s got that dog in him.

“Does he love football?”

He transferred from Georgia to Texas to be closer to his daughter.

Knocks seem to be the athleticism and speed don’t always show up on tape. Takes plays off. Great TD production, but limited receptions and yardage. Not a willing blocker. Teams wonder if he’s got that dog in him.

“Does he love football?”
The daughter thing is very interesting to note, and I think probably takes away what was potentially a red flag. Good info.

I will add, I found it odd how Texas used him and Worthy, as Mitchell was more the deep threat, and Worthy was more fed screens and the like. It was a loaded offense, with Sanders often serving as the over the middle guy, and Brooks highly involved (how often does a team have a RB, 2 WRs, and a TE all probably go in the top-64?) so its kind of tougher to judge.

I'm starting to think Mitchell is gonna go a lot higher than he's been projected. Like top-20, maybe ahead of Brian Thomas.

Coming off a 55-reception, 11-touchdown season at Texas, Mitchell did everything at the combine other than the short shuttle, the 3-cone and the bench press. And, after his blazing 40 of 4.35 and exceptional distances in the jumps, his decision to work at the combine appeared to be paying off.

Then Mitchell, wearing the WO19 jersey, started running the various routes in line with other wide receivers. His performance was insufficient, to say the least.

“He blew that 40 out, which didn’t surprise me,” one veteran scout said. “But then his position workout might have been the worst I’ve seen by a top receiver. He was falling over. He dropped balls. He had to keep redoing. It seemed as if he didn’t know how to run routes. He just seemed out of it.

“Generally, I don’t get alarmed by a combine. That was alarming.”

Based on television coverage, Mitchell staggered and fell during the gauntlet, dropped the first two slants, dropped an out and either messed up the route or failed to make the catch on his next three attempts. His performance was adequate after that.

“He was very linear, very straight line,” another scout said watching Mitchell at the combine. “Which surprised me, because in my limited exposure, for a fast guy, I thought he could actually bend and get in and out of his cuts.

“After running fast, the position stuff didn’t match. It wasn’t terrible. It wasn’t fatal. But it definitely raised some alerts with me. He didn’t have a great combine.”

Mitchell stood on his combine numbers and did position drills March 21 at Texas pro day, leaving the bench press and shuttles void.

REPORT: #Texas WR Adonai Mitchell is almost uncoachable and his issue is his blood sugar, a scout tells Bob McGinn.“You’re going to have to assign somebody to be next to him for his first few years because his issues are all about his diabetes and his blood sugar,” said a second scout. “When his blood sugar’s off, he’s rude, he’s abrasive, he doesn’t pay attention in meetings. It’s why you get really, really ****ty character reports coming out of Georgia and Texas.”“Before you even get to the diabetic part, he’s kind of going to do it his way. He’s a little bit of a wild horse. You’ve got to see if you can harness him in. Then, once you do that, he doesn’t address the diabetic stuff in a mature way. He’s very much a boom-or-bust type guy.”A special player when in the right mindset.

Coming off a 55-reception, 11-touchdown season at Texas, Mitchell did everything at the combine other than the short shuttle, the 3-cone and the bench press. And, after his blazing 40 of 4.35 and exceptional distances in the jumps, his decision to work at the combine appeared to be paying off.

Then Mitchell, wearing the WO19 jersey, started running the various routes in line with other wide receivers. His performance was insufficient, to say the least.

“He blew that 40 out, which didn’t surprise me,” one veteran scout said. “But then his position workout might have been the worst I’ve seen by a top receiver. He was falling over. He dropped balls. He had to keep redoing. It seemed as if he didn’t know how to run routes. He just seemed out of it.

Based on television coverage, Mitchell staggered and fell during the gauntlet, dropped the first two slants, dropped an out and either messed up the route or failed to make the catch on his next three attempts. His performance was adequate after that.

“He was very linear, very straight line,” another scout said watching Mitchell at the combine. “Which surprised me, because in my limited exposure, for a fast guy, I thought he could actually bend and get in and out of his cuts.

“After running fast, the position stuff didn’t match. It wasn’t terrible. It wasn’t fatal. But it definitely raised some alerts with me. He didn’t have a great combine.”

Mitchell stood on his combine numbers and did position drills March 21 at Texas pro day, leaving the bench press and shuttles void.

REPORT: #Texas WR Adonai Mitchell is almost uncoachable and his issue is his blood sugar, a scout tells Bob McGinn.“You’re going to have to assign somebody to be next to him for his first few years because his issues are all about his diabetes and his blood sugar,” said a second scout. “When his blood sugar’s off, he’s rude, he’s abrasive, he doesn’t pay attention in meetings. It’s why you get really, really ****ty character reports coming out of Georgia and Texas.”“Before you even get to the diabetic part, he’s kind of going to do it his way. He’s a little bit of a wild horse. You’ve got to see if you can harness him in. Then, once you do that, he doesn’t address the diabetic stuff in a mature way. He’s very much a boom-or-bust type guy.”A special player when in the right mindset.

Smokescreen season. Reads like something teams who want him will leak so that he drops in the Draft to them. Will be interesting to see if he actually does. Can't see him falling beyond early 2nd round.

Miss the Bob McGinn draft series, to cheap to pay for another subscription, thanks for posting this.

Aaron Rodgers, Mark Andrews, Noah Gray, a few more, all have diabetes. This is alot of shade to cast on Mitchell. Shame on Bob McGinn. He should be better than this. Report it? Fine. Put him in awful light the week before the draft? Bad form. I've had Mitchell a bit lower than most. Always felt Worthy was the better receiver just watching several Texas games, but I'm moving Mitchell up. Somebody wants him bad.

Aaron Rodgers, Mark Andrews, Noah Gray, a few more, all have diabetes. This is alot of shade to cast on Mitchell. Shame on Bob McGinn. He should be better than this. Report it? Fine. Put him in awful light the week before the draft? Bad form. I've had Mitchell a bit lower than most. Always felt Worthy was the better receiver just watching several Texas games, but I'm moving Mitchell up. Somebody wants him bad.
Jay Cutler was diabetic as well.

Patrick Peterson too.

Was? he find a cure?

(just kidding)

Was? he find a cure?

(just kidding)
I'm sure A Rod's working on it, will prob be any day now...

While this is an admittedly vague take to have, pending a landing spot where he can play X (and only is asked to mostly play X), and with the vibes I get that he will wind up undervalued by the dynasty community; I like him and will be targeting him. Of course those two points kind of contradict, as if he lands in Buffalo or KC I'm pretty certain he will no longer be undervalued lol. Watching the tape wasn't fun, but I think it showed me some of the concerns I've read here the past month about lack of production was due to this gimmicky Longhorn's offense, and even more so, Quinn Ewers. Woof. He is bad. I see why he decided to stay another year, especially with the other QBs coming out this year. If Ewers hit him on even half of the incompletions I saw, I think it would have pulled his averages up out of all those bad comp lists. Similar thoughts if he was in a more traditional offense that fit his game better rather than the goofy stuff Texas runs (no offense Longhorn fans).

AD seemed to run big boy routes, do very well against man coverage, and was up there with Harrison and Odunze in his ability to beat press coverage. I thought he had good hands, was able to flash them late to ward off defenders, and plucked the ball from the air. Could especially see these skills in contested catch situations where he seemed to dominate. I think a lot of the personality questions, and especially the diabetic stuff, is getting blown way out of proportion. I could be way off base here as I don't know any diabetics IRL. But, don't they have mini monitors and pumps that diabetics can just wear 24/7 now that practically regulate the entire thing for them at this point? Maybe not super affordable/feasible for the average joe, but I think it would be something an NFL team investing millions of dollars into a player would likely take care of for him.

It feels there are quite a few NFL teams that are currently lacking an X WR, and there were basically 0 that came out of the 2023 class (I'm in that very packed boat that has written off QJ already), I think AD could wind up in a real juicy spot with minimal competition and has the abilities to contribute to an offense immediately. I don't expect him to dominate or be the next Puka, but walking into a starting role and getting high value looks as an X WR would put him ahead of a lot of these other guys who will have to "earn a role", even if they have better analytics than AD. Hell, even if they are more talented than AD. He just fits a mold of WR that the league is lacking, and sometimes that's enough. He feels like a guy we might be missing the forest for the trees on IMO.

While this is an admittedly vague take to have, pending a landing spot where he can play X (and only is asked to mostly play X), and with the vibes I get that he will wind up undervalued by the dynasty community; I like him and will be targeting him. Of course those two points kind of contradict, as if he lands in Buffalo or KC I'm pretty certain he will no longer be undervalued lol. Watching the tape wasn't fun, but I think it showed me some of the concerns I've read here the past month about lack of production was due to this gimmicky Longhorn's offense, and even more so, Quinn Ewers. Woof. He is bad. I see why he decided to stay another year, especially with the other QBs coming out this year. If Ewers hit him on even half of the incompletions I saw, I think it would have pulled his averages up out of all those bad comp lists. Similar thoughts if he was in a more traditional offense that fit his game better rather than the goofy stuff Texas runs (no offense Longhorn fans).

AD seemed to run big boy routes, do very well against man coverage, and was up there with Harrison and Odunze in his ability to beat press coverage. I thought he had good hands, was able to flash them late to ward off defenders, and plucked the ball from the air. Could especially see these skills in contested catch situations where he seemed to dominate. I think a lot of the personality questions, and especially the diabetic stuff, is getting blown way out of proportion. I could be way off base here as I don't know any diabetics IRL. But, don't they have mini monitors and pumps that diabetics can just wear 24/7 now that practically regulate the entire thing for them at this point? Maybe not super affordable/feasible for the average joe, but I think it would be something an NFL team investing millions of dollars into a player would likely take care of for him.

It feels there are quite a few NFL teams that are currently lacking an X WR, and there were basically 0 that came out of the 2023 class (I'm in that very packed boat that has written off QJ already), I think AD could wind up in a real juicy spot with minimal competition and has the abilities to contribute to an offense immediately. I don't expect him to dominate or be the next Puka, but walking into a starting role and getting high value looks as an X WR would put him ahead of a lot of these other guys who will have to "earn a role", even if they have better analytics than AD. Hell, even if they are more talented than AD. He just fits a mold of WR that the league is lacking, and sometimes that's enough. He feels like a guy we might be missing the forest for the trees on IMO.
I wouldn't be surprised if Ewers lost his job this year to Manning. Guy had 4 (probable) top-64 picks around him and was still pretty average. The guy can't make tight window throws and takes way too many sacks.

Side note, I wouldn't write of Johnston yet. Plenty of good WRs looked awful in year 1. Its not encouraging, but too early to be sure.

Bob McGinn's draft series begins

Excerpt:

ADONAI MITCHELL, Texas (6-2, 207, 4.35, 1-2): Started 12 games for Georgia as a true freshman in 2021 and then missed nine games in ’22 with an ankle injury. “He’s a spectacular talent,” one scout said. “He’s got Garrett Wilsonesque catch radius, athletic ability, body control. But he’s almost uncoachable. Before you even get to the diabetic part, he’s kind of going to do it his way. He’s a little bit of a wild horse. You’ve got to see if you can harness him in. Then, once you do that, he doesn’t address the diabetic stuff in a mature way. He’s very much a boom-or-bust type guy.” Has been diagnosed as Type 1 diabetic. “You’re going to have to assign somebody to be next to him for his first few years because his issues are all about his diabetes and his blood sugar,” said a second scout. “When his blood sugar’s off, he’s rude, he’s abrasive, he doesn’t pay attention in meetings. It’s why you get really, really ****ty character reports coming out of Georgia and Texas. But when his stuff is normal, and they get him normal by lunch time, he’s out at practice high energy, best practice player, loves football … He doesn’t run routes traditionally like most receivers would. He plants off the wrong foot all the time. (But) he learns football really well and is literally just scratching the surface. This kid has unlimited potential.” Played one season for the Longhorns. In 35 collegiate games he caught 93 passes for 1,405 (15.1) and 18 TDs. A third scout said diabetes was a major concern. “You’ve got to look out for it and he’s got to take care of himself,” he said. “Every diabetic does. There’s some questions but at the end of the day he’s a good player that hasn’t done anything overly malicious. He’s probably just immature.” His vertical jump was 39 ½; his broad jump of 11-4 led the wide receivers. From Missouri City, Texas.

This is alot of shade to cast on Mitchell. Shame on Bob McGinn. He should be better than this. Report it? Fine. Put him in awful light the week before the draft?
Bob McGinn hasn't been better than this ever. He tosses out some anonymous slam jobs, hoping to get more subscribers.

He's a leech.

But: The tone of that comment seems like AD isn't adulting when it comes to maintaining his blood sugar. If this anonymous quote is true (no idea), maturity is a reasonable question. We've seen guys before who admitted the did not get it together in the league till they were eating right, etc.

This is alot of shade to cast on Mitchell. Shame on Bob McGinn. He should be better than this. Report it? Fine. Put him in awful light the week before the draft?
Bob McGinn hasn't been better than this ever. He tosses out some anonymous slam jobs, hoping to get more subscribers.

He's a leech.

But: The tone of that comment seems like AD isn't adulting when it comes to maintaining his blood sugar. If this anonymous quote is true (no idea), maturity is a reasonable question. We've seen guys before who admitted the did not get it together in the league till they were eating right, etc.

DeVante Parker was the poster boy for immaturity when he came into the league.

How DeVante Parker is erasing 'bust' talk, rewriting his Dolphins story

Excerpt:

It has been a long journey for Parker, who always had the talent but never lived up to his first-round expectations. There were multiple reasons for that, most of them related to his inability to stay healthy and play at a high level when he wasn't 100 percent.

Parker enjoyed chicken nuggets and other unhealthy foods, skipping breakfast and playing video games into the early morning, habits previous Dolphins regimes tried to break. His decision to start taking care of his body seems to have unlocked the best version of him.

He's a leech.

Excerpt:

It has been a long journey for Parker, who always had the talent but never lived up to his first-round expectations. There were multiple reasons for that, most of them related to his inability to stay healthy and play at a high level when he wasn't 100 percent.

Parker enjoyed chicken nuggets and other unhealthy foods, skipping breakfast and playing video games into the early morning, habits previous Dolphins regimes tried to break. His decision to start taking care of his body seems to have unlocked the best version of him.
Interestingly enough, Parker is a comp I have liked for Mitchell.

He's a leech.

Excerpt:

Interestingly enough, Parker is a comp I have liked for Mitchell.
I can see that. Diehard UT fan here, on the fence with Mitchell to be honest.

Boom or bust for sure, probably more bust. I will say that the Colts is a good spot for him because I think the environment in Indy can develop him, both from an personal and professional point of view and is a safer landing spot than some others. I like the support he will receive in Indy with Reggie Wayne and Shane Stechien. Ballard has been looking for someone like Mitchell. A big body receiver that is fast and athletic and sometimes you have to swing for the fences. If it works out he's a steal. If not, then you tried.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread