What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

College Admissions Questions (1 Viewer)

The kids and parents we spoke to that have kids in college tell us stories of taking one classes and barely any in person til junior year.

This has not been our experience - at a largish (20,000), mid-Tier state school (JMU) - daughter is a current sophomore - and hasn't had any on-line classes.

Also not heard anything like this for Vanderbilt where other daughter is headed in the Fall.

We're not at college yet, but neck deep in Jr year and lots of people we know going currently at all stages.

Only online at all that Ive heard is during Covid. None of the tours we've been on... Including Yale and UMiami... even brought it up. I'd imagine it's an option for those that need, but will have to start asking if it's standard now the way Bri has been seeing.
Per Forbes 53% of all students took at least some classes online in 2021.
That spreadsheet was cutoff, so it's difficult to parse (could be a phone thing).

The kids and parents we spoke to that have kids in college tell us stories of taking one classes and barely any in person til junior year.

This has not been our experience - at a largish (20,000), mid-Tier state school (JMU) - daughter is a current sophomore - and hasn't had any on-line classes.

Also not heard anything like this for Vanderbilt where other daughter is headed in the Fall.

We're not at college yet, but neck deep in Jr year and lots of people we know going currently at all stages.

Only online at all that Ive heard is during Covid. None of the tours we've been on... Including Yale and UMiami... even brought it up. I'd imagine it's an option for those that need, but will have to start asking if it's standard now the way Bri has been seeing.
That spreadsheet was cutoff, so it's difficult to parse (could be a phone thing).
Unless there's additional data that's cut off up above, that table is showing a breakdown of students by race (with a similar breakdown for online and offline colleges). Doesn't have any indication of what percentage of students attend online vs. offline colleges.

Unless there's additional data that's cut off up above, that table is showing a breakdown of students by race (with a similar breakdown for online and offline colleges). Doesn't have any indication of what percentage of students attend online vs. offline colleges.
Sorry weird paste oops

Sorry oops on my part

It’s worth noting that far fewer students are learning online at the most selective colleges. Fewer than 20 percent of students are taking an online course at Harvard, Yale, Swarthmore, Williams and a handful of other elite colleges, according to Hill’s analysis. It’s yet another example of how schooling is changing between the haves and the have-nots.

2023-2024 report fwiw

This study is about taking at least one online class.

Based on forbes and all online.

.According to Forbes, 2.7 million students, or nearly 15% of all postsecondary students, are pursuing degrees online in 2023. Students are choosing online education for reasons other than the pandemic, including 42% choosing online coursework due to family and work commitments, and 17% choosing online work to pursue their education.

So while at least one online class is common among half the data. There is no indicator to everything being online. Imo

Last edited:
So the stats say a little more than half college students take at least 1 online class.

Sounds right.

I either misread or misunderstood that Bri was saying kids are mostly remote.

Is it clear whether that class is at their own college or at a remote location? Seems odd to me to go to a brick and mortar college and not go to class in person... But I'm old and frightened of change.

So the stats say a little more than half college students take at least 1 online class.

Sounds right.

I either misread or misunderstood that Bri was saying kids are mostly remote.

Is it clear whether that class is at their own college or at a remote location? Seems odd to me to go to a brick and mortar college and not go to class in person... But I'm old and frightened of change.
He is stating 50% are fully remote but using a2021 study. I don't agree with half are fully remote currently. But ymmv. The Ivy's are less than 20%. According to the 2023 data.

I'm sure more schools have an online class but no current students that I know are at the school and fully remote. They have a lecture here and there. Again this is my anecdotal evidence

especially in our post-covid world as we near the demographic cliff.
What means this?
It's already starting, but the higher ed reset I've mentioned more than a few times on this board (probably some here, definitely in the PSF) is underway. Too many schools spending above their means is not a new thing, but the birth rate decrease accompanying the 2008 crash and sustained since is about to cause a wave of closures and mergers. This won't impact the schools that usually dominate this thread (top 1-10%), but what transpires throughout the other ~90% will impact their operational (and award) decisions going forward. I'm curious how many will be proactive about it, which is one reason why I floated this comment out there, but for the most part I expect business as usual at the top 1-10%. The rest though? The market has the leverage if they decide to use it.

The market has the leverage if they decide to use it.
OK, flesh this out some more for me. You're saying that due to the 2008 financial crisis, there were fewer kids born and thus there will be less demand for higher education when they hit college age? And that will put many schools that don't have string endowments or are backed by large state spending under financial pressure?

Couldn't those schools simply raise tuition and have fewer students with the same revenue? Or maybe each tranche will "trade down" to enroll sufficient students to cover their expenses.

Not sure where the opportunity is in this other than maybe some schools that were "reach" schools are now in play.

The market has the leverage if they decide to use it.
OK, flesh this out some more for me. You're saying that due to the 2008 financial crisis, there were fewer kids born and thus there will be less demand for higher education when they hit college age? And that will put many schools that don't have string endowments or are backed by large state spending under financial pressure?

Couldn't those schools simply raise tuition and have fewer students with the same revenue? Or maybe each tranche will "trade down" to enroll sufficient students to cover their expenses.

Not sure where the opportunity is in this other than maybe some schools that were "reach" schools are now in play.
I'm sure there is a clear concise response to this, but I couldn't articulate it when I read it last night (thought it may be the evening cocktails) and I can't now either (okay, it wasn't the cocktails). Way too short answer is raising tuition was attempted and did not work. Part of it is demo and part political. This is the outcome of schools over-reaching over the last few decades and now don't have the enrollment necessary to cover their fixed costs without cutting corners with variable and impacting quality of education.

Feel free to follow up and perhaps I'll have better short answers instead of feeling like I need to write a novel.

It looks like its gonna be Tufts. The 2nd option was Rutgers. This should be an exciting time for me, but I just can't get over the $64k per year price tag difference between what appear to be two similarly rated schools. I think this is financial insanity. I've made it clear the alternative options she would have for that $250k between grad school, house, retirement, etc, but she really likes Tufts and doesn't like Rutgers. I'm just keeping my shut at this point, but can't help feeling that this is a mistake. The ffa usually delivers with some wise words during times like these. What do you have for me?

It looks like its gonna be Tufts. The 2nd option was Rutgers. This should be an exciting time for me, but I just can't get over the $64k per year price tag difference between what appear to be two similarly rated schools. I think this is financial insanity. I've made it clear the alternative options she would have for that $250k between grad school, house, retirement, etc, but she really likes Tufts and doesn't like Rutgers. I'm just keeping my shut at this point, but can't help feeling that this is a mistake. The ffa usually delivers with some wise words during times like these. What do you have for me?
We looked at Tufts is was a tough price

Congrats- she got into two great schools and chose the more on paper prestigious option.

The cost delta sucks man... No way around that. But amazing you're in a spot where you can support whatever decision she made- well done!

First, congrats. But holy crap, that’s insane. 64k MORE than Rutgers?

I’m sure I’m wrong about this but I just don’t think the premium paid for these schools ends up worth it a lot of times.

I guess I can sort of add to this post now.

Son is a baseball player. Recruited D1 as a sophomore in HS, tore his ACL his junior year, and ended up having to go to a JUCO.

Played well enough to have multiple offers including 1 D2 where the price tag was $75K/year. He was going to get 60% scholarship for 2 years, which would make the cost "comparable" (within 20K/year) to the other state schools that were recruiting him. However this is a small, private HA school.

While smart (4.0 in HS and in JUCO), he's not on the MENSA list, and he knows the rigors/time obligation required to play baseball.

I told him it was his decision. Utimately it came dow to a school where he had a good idea that he'd play his last 2 years, they have a good program in his major (Kines), it's in a town with in 3 hours of home (as opposed to 6, and it's in a smaller town vs. the D2 that was in a large town, w/ lots of night life, a large state university, and he would play right away here (as he was their #1 recruit).

Ultimately he chose the 1st D1 school with the following reasoning (had him write down a list of pros/cons):

1 - It's closer for you to drive to see my games (as I try to make "most" games)
2 - It's cheaper for you (as a divorced dad that does not get any help from mom)
3 - it's a smaller town, but there still is enough to do
4 - the degree program is better
5 - The shool he did not choose..........being a HA school, there will be a lot of smart kids there, and playing baseball, will I be able to commit enough time to get good grades, play baseball, AND be a college student.

I've always told him that college gets you an education and prepares you to be an adult, so I was really proud of #5.

Last edited:

First, congrats. But holy crap, that’s insane. 64k MORE than Rutgers?

I’m sure I’m wrong about this but I just don’t think the premium paid for these schools ends up worth it a lot of times.
I don't think you're wrong. The opportunity cost is just enormous. I'd much rather her go to Rutgers and then the grad school of her choice rather than any other undergrad school.

I forget...what is your daughter planning to study? That would have a pretty big impact on how I'd view something like this.

I forget...what is your daughter planning to study? That would have a pretty big impact on how I'd view something like this.
Environmental science

No offense to Rutgers (which my younger daughter might end up going to), but I do think Tufts is generally considered to be a better (and more selective) school, for whatever that's worth.

I'll also say that while Rutgers is well regarded, and we know a ton of really smart kids (1450+ SAT, good grades, etc.) who go there, almost all of those are in either engineering or business. I suspect those two highly ranked areas drive a lot of the strong academic reputation that Rutgers has. Also, anecdotally, it seems as though my older daughter's friends at Rutgers spend a lot more time just kind of hanging out vs. those at the most selective schools who tend to spend more time both studying and DOING stuff.

Ultimately, I think the cost vs. benefits tradeoff is also somewhat dependent on what kind of career path you anticipate. If your kid is going into something with good prospects of a high paying job, the extra cost is a lot easier to stomach, since the incremental cost is a smaller percentage of what they'll ultimately earn. If your kid is going into something where they may not earn a lot, then the cost savings become relatively more critical.

Also, the likelihood of attending grad school impacts things.

No offense to Rutgers (which my younger daughter might end up going to), but I do think Tufts is generally considered to be a better (and more selective) school, for whatever that's worth.

I'll also say that while Rutgers is well regarded, and we know a ton of really smart kids (1450+ SAT, good grades, etc.) who go there, almost all of those are in either engineering or business. I suspect those two highly ranked areas drive a lot of the strong academic reputation that Rutgers has. Also, anecdotally, it seems as though my older daughter's friends at Rutgers spend a lot more time just kind of hanging out vs. those at the most selective schools who tend to spend more time both studying and DOING stuff.

Ultimately, I think the cost vs. benefits tradeoff is also somewhat dependent on what kind of career path you anticipate. If your kid is going into something with good prospects of a high paying job, the extra cost is a lot easier to stomach, since the incremental cost is a smaller percentage of what they'll ultimately earn. If your kid is going into something where they may not earn a lot, then the cost savings become relatively more critical.

Also, the likelihood of attending grad school impacts things.
No argument. One of the reasons she loves tufts and didn't like rutgers are the people she met on her visits. If we were talking $30k per year difference, I wouldn't think twice. Rutgers at $28k is really a tremendous value. I'd be pretty surprised if grad school wasn't in her future.

Son is a baseball player. Recruited D1 as a sophomore in HS, tore his ACL his junior year, and ended up having to go to a JUCO.

Played well enough to have multiple offers including 1 D2 where the price tag was $75K/year. He was going to get 60% scholarship for 2 years, which would make the cost "comparable" (within 20K/year) to the other state schools that were recruiting him. However this is a small, private HA school.

While smart (4.0 in HS and in JUCO), he's not on the MENSA list, and he knows the rigors/time obligation required to play baseball.

I told him it was his decision. Utimately it came dow to a school where he had a good idea that he'd play his last 2 years, they have a good program in his major (Kines), it's in a town with in 3 hours of home (as opposed to 6, and it's in a smaller town vs. the D2 that was in a large town, w/ lots of night life, a large state university, and he would play right away here (as he was their #1 recruit).

Ultimately he chose the 1st D1 school with the following reasoning (had him write down a list of pros/cons):

1 - It's closer for you to drive to see my games (as I try to make "most" games)
2 - It's cheaper for you (as a divorced dad that does not get any help from mom)
5 - The shool he did not choose..........being a HA school, there will be a lot of smart kids there, and playing baseball, will I be able to commit enough time to get good grades, play baseball, AND be a college student.

I've always told him that college gets you an education and prepares you to be an adult, so I was really proud of #5.
What is "HA"?

What is "HA"?
HA!

A NYT article (gifted) - that you might find interesting;

Author is a bit over the top, I think, particularly when it comes to the "elite" schools. (when you apply early decision there is some uncertainty about financial aid - but its not completely uncertain - we had a very good idea what the cost would be - and the aid ended up being a little better.). But it does highlight a lot of the anxiety and uncertainty that many students are facing.

A NYT article (gifted) - that you might find interesting;

Author is a bit over the top, I think, particularly when it comes to the "elite" schools. (when you apply early decision there is some uncertainty about financial aid - but its not completely uncertain - we had a very good idea what the cost would be - and the aid ended up being a little better.). But it does highlight a lot of the anxiety and uncertainty that many students are facing.

This is a blurb from a linked article within the NYT article from the Duke newspaper - I found this interesting:

This cycle was also the first to reflect Duke’s recent changes to its internal admissions review process, opting to no longer give essays and standardized testing scores numerical ratings. Essays, though still considered in the process, no longer received a score due to the rise in the use of generative artificial intelligence and college admissions consultants.

Further explanation from Duke: https://www.dukechronicle.com/artic...est-optional-ai-generated-college-consultants

Users who are viewing this thread