What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Collectively, A Thread To Celebrate Our Kids Athletic Accomplishments (1 Viewer)

My son faced a 27 year old senior pitcher from Barton College (D2)

Really? Like seriously.....it's getting stupid.

Anyway he ripped a first pitch slider linedrive double after he struck him out the prior AB starting him with a slider.

He sat on it and he hung it.

But he was telling me they had multiple graduate students in their 6th year of eligibility.

This is why it's getting harder and harder for high school seniors to get recruited. Coaches are going to the portal more than ever to recruit vs taking the risks on green incoming freshman.

Anyway thought I would share that.

Kid is still hitting missiles the last two weeks but finding a lot of leather lately. Baseball is so cruel lol.

Huge conference series road trip Saturday and Sunday!!
Yes the portal will still be in play but some of this nonsense will come down now since all the kids that gain the extra year cuz of covid are now out of the system after next year. You still only get 4 years out of five after the covid years done. But it definitely was/ is tougher sledding

Lol 27.

But he was telling me they had multiple graduate students in their 6th year of eligibility.

This is why it's getting harder and harder for high school seniors to get recruited. Coaches are going to the portal more than ever to recruit vs taking the risks on green incoming freshman.
This will stop in the next year. The COVID extra eligibility will be drying up so this won't be happening moving forward. The transfer ability will still make it tougher for freshman to make an impact early and will hurt them if they go direct to D1 right of high school. But you won't see 27 yr old guys anymore.

If a kid really wants to play D1 the best route is to go to a quality Juco and get two years of play time at the college level while also learning the rigors of college classes and playing ball at that level. Then transfer to a D1 school if they were successful at the Juco level. This gives them a leg up because if they go straight out of high school they will likely lose two years of play time and then when they think it's their chance the school will bring in a Juco transfer that has played for the last two years that will likely be ahead of them. It's unfortunate but big business D1 will continue with this approach because, why not?

Anyway he ripped a first pitch slider linedrive double after he struck him out the prior AB starting him with a slider.
When I first started reading this I thought it was bold to go after a first pitch slider right out of the gate.........but then I see he learned from the first AB and adjusted. Good on him.

Y
When I first started reading this I thought it was bold to go after a first pitch slider right out of the gate.........but then I see he learned from the first AB and adjusted. Good on him.
Yep....and in college he has been seeing a lot more first pitch slider/curve.

He is always sitting fastball and adjusts to off-speed....one thing he is great at is picking up spin right out of the hand....and if it hangs he will punish it most of the time like any good hitter will.

Yep....and in college he has been seeing a lot more first pitch slider/curve.
I will be interested to see how my son adjusts to pitching at the college level because he starts a lot of people off with off speed right now in HS and is very successful because of it. As I stated before, a couple teams have started to sit off speed (although most aren't really good enough at the HS level to punish you with this approach) and he hasn't been getting easy strikes this way lately. His last outing we was throwing more FB's as an adjustment but I don't think this team was looking off speed as much as the previous team.

I love talking pitching and sequencing. It is so fascinating to me.

Welp her hitting streak ends at 4 games lol....

0-3 with a go, and 2 deep flys. I knew it was just time to "cool off" a little lol..... And the home stat gave her an error on a play she wasn't involved. So dumb. Not that important but am enjoying the ride. Had many parents complement her to us. So that's been nice

This will stop in the next year. The COVID extra eligibility will be drying up so this won't be happening moving forward. The transfer ability will still make it tougher for freshman to make an impact early and will hurt them if they go direct to D1 right of high school. But you won't see 27 yr old guys anymore.

If a kid really wants to play D1 the best route is to go to a quality Juco and get two years of play time at the college level while also learning the rigors of college classes and playing ball at that level. Then transfer to a D1 school if they were successful at the Juco level. This gives them a leg up because if they go straight out of high school they will likely lose two years of play time and then when they think it's their chance the school will bring in a Juco transfer that has played for the last two years that will likely be ahead of them. It's unfortunate but big business D1 will continue with this approach because, why not?
It does kind of feel like with the portal, the JUCO, D2 and D3 are basically going to be the minor leagues for the D1 schools. I think for success in football, you still need to recruit out of HS because kids need the time to learn the systems.... harder to plug and play in football. But of other sports like baseball and basketball it is much easier to see these kids playing at higher levels than HS and then bring them into your program... heck, even for a year.

NIL, portal and conference realignment all in a short period of time have just completely blew up how college sports are run from how they use to be.

NIL, portal and conference realignment all in a short period of time have just completely blew up how college sports are run from how they use to be.
And for good reason. It was a cabal that exploited young adults for the profit going to college athletic departments, coaches, the media, and the NCAA, but not to the players.

I've said for a long time that college athletics is dumb anyway. It's a disservice to most.

And for good reason. It was a cabal that exploited young adults for the profit going to college athletic departments, coaches, the media, and the NCAA, but not to the players.

I've said for a long time that college athletics is dumb anyway. It's a disservice to most.
College athletics is dumb?

Seriously?

99% of college athletes do not go pro.....so who is it dumb for? The top 1%?

If you were fortunate enough to play a college sport you made life long friendships and got to play the sport you loved for four more years.

However the business of the power 5 conferences has some athletes feeling exploited.

But for all the other non power 5 D1, D2, D3 and NAIA.....it's a great privilege to continue playing, learning real life lessons and making bonds that will last a lifetime and getting an education.

I don't think some people differentiate the glory of big time college athletics which is a tiny part of the big picture.

7% move on from high school

Less than 1% turn pro.

I've said for a long time that college athletics is dumb anyway
The college athletics concept on it's own is great. I think the way they are run are dumb. Too much money out there for them leads to problems and it takes away what they should be about.
Football is the king revenue maker for FBS schools. A distant but strong second is mens basketball. Mens hockey a distant third. The rest of the sports are pretty close to breaking even or are money losers. Football and mens basketball, for a lot of schools, subsidizes the other sports. If not for those money decisions, maybe there isn't scholarship money for the rowing team. (assuming there is... I have no idea to be honest if they give scholarships or not for that).

For those parents that may be disappointed in your childs athletic abilities, ... or jealous of your childs classmates that excel in sports, consider this;
My "not so little" girl played lacrosse and field hockey growing up and in high school ... but she wasn't so great at the sports.
Graduated college, no sports, she was completely focused on academics, worked in her field for 2 years and now has just applied for and been accepted into a PHD program for Biomed Science at UMass medical.
Tuition fully waived for all 4 years and a $40k a year cost of living stipend. Proud papa here.
Some are gifted athletically, some intellectually, some both, but bottom line is that they are successful in life.

For those parents that may be disappointed in your childs athletic abilities, ... or jealous of your childs classmates that excel in sports, consider this;
My "not so little" girl played lacrosse and field hockey growing up and in high school ... but she wasn't so great at the sports.
Graduated college, no sports, she was completely focused on academics, worked in her field for 2 years and now has just applied for and been accepted into a PHD program for Biomed Science at UMass medical.
Tuition fully waived for all 4 years and a $40k a year cost of living stipend. Proud papa here.
Some are gifted athletically, some intellectually, some both, but bottom line is that they are successful in life.
It's why we have a thread dedicated to this type of achievement also

I can't imagine being disappointed in my child's athletic abilities or lack of....

The only thing I could see is disappointed in what could be with wasted potential though I am staring at that now with my son. As is looks like right now, swim is where he has the clear potential in but it could very well be the sport he gives up first. If he does, he does.... it is his life to live. As long as he is making the decision for the right reasons, I can't be disappointed in it.

My daughters first year in basketball... she was the worst player on the court in the entire league. Horrible. Just a train wreck. The thought of being disappointed in her never cross my mind. Same as I am not disappointed that my kids don't win the "name all the states" or "name all the Presidents" award at school in 1st grade. They are smart kids but not book smart. As a parent, there is no disappointment in that for me. They are who they are. Success in life isn't about any of this.

I've said for a long time that college athletics is dumb anyway
The college athletics concept on it's own is great. I think the way they are run are dumb. Too much money out there for them leads to problems and it takes away what they should be about.
For the"espn" big D1 schools yes.

The rest? Works as intended.
I can agree with that. It's the exploitation and distraction from education that gets to me.

If not for those money decisions, maybe there isn't scholarship money for the rowing team.
Scholarship money (ie tuition) doesn't really cost the school much in reality. The teachers are getting paid whether they have 12 more rowers in their classes or not. The money brought in allows those sports to exist because there are costs to have a program. Facilities, gear, etc. That is what the money goes to. Not really scholarships.

I can't imagine being disappointed in my child's athletic abilities or lack of....

The only thing I could see is disappointed in what could be with wasted potential though I am staring at that now with my son. As is looks like right now, swim is where he has the clear potential in but it could very well be the sport he gives up first. If he does, he does.... it is his life to live. As long as he is making the decision for the right reasons, I can't be disappointed in it.

My daughters first year in basketball... she was the worst player on the court in the entire league. Horrible. Just a train wreck. The thought of being disappointed in her never cross my mind. Same as I am not disappointed that my kids don't win the "name all the states" or "name all the Presidents" award at school in 1st grade. They are smart kids but not book smart. As a parent, there is no disappointment in that for me. They are who they are. Success in life isn't about any of this.
My son swam in high school and dropped football.
Swim team has got to be one of the more physically demanding sports and very time consuming.
But it definitely made him a better person mentally and physically imo. Pushing yourself when you're completely exhausted is not something everyone can do ... and they do that on the regular.
I'm sure that makes other difficult tasks seem easy. And his shoulders and back now make me look like a twig.
Hopefully your son can stick with it.

Swim team has got to be one of the more physically demanding sports and very time consuming.
But it definitely made him a better person mentally and physically imo. Pushing yourself when you're completely exhausted is not something everyone can do ... and they do that on the regular.
I'm sure that makes other difficult tasks seem easy. And his shoulders and back now make me look like a twig.
At the state meet, one of my old employees that I keep in touch with was there as his kids are super swimmers.... they are ultra focused on swimming and do very well (as evidenced by being at state but one of their sons make nationals in the prior season). Swim is their sport and then they might do a little running here and there like a half marathon or something.

I was telling him how my son made state (obviously) but that he missed more practices than he actually went to that season. That he missed all of his practices before his first meet and on the way to the meet I was prepping him with "Ok, you haven't been in the water so don't worry about your times, this is just to get back in the swing of things..." blah blah blah.... the freaking kid dropped time on all his events. I was stunned. My buddy was like "Oh my God... he has so much raw potential" and I was like "I know. It is crazy. I wish he wanted it more but he doesn't so..."

The benefits he has got from swimming is amazing. His conditioning and strength is well above his peers.... who largely are a very good group of athletes as well. At the end of last spring/summer season, I posted a pic of him after his regional meet where he just got out of the pool so no shirt. One of the other fathers at his football practice was like "I can't get over how his physique is at this age" and I grabbed his arm the other day.... dude... his tricep is insane. His 10 year tricep is more defined and solid than mine ever was event at my healthiest in the gym working out.

One of the other Dads from school is actually the swim coach for one of the local public HS. We were talking this week and he was telling me how one day the wrestling coach wanted to switch practices and get his guys in the water. Apparently he saw the swimmers coming out as his wrestlers were going in and he was telling my friend how amazed he was in how much better built the swimmers are than his wrestlers. He also always tells the kids that if the football coach gives them a hard time about swimming versus weight lifting to have them come down and talk to him and he will show him.

I never swam competitively. The only reason we are doing swim is my son near the end of his swimming lessons said he wanted to race people.... so, ok, let me figure that out. I have become a huge fan and advocate for swim now for kids. I think it may be the best sport to have a kid in period for long term health and for the things you mentioned as well. I pushed really hard for one of my kids from basketball to do swim with my son as he really needs to improve his conditioning and I think swimming would be perfect for it. I still don't know if he is or is not.... if he doesn't, I know it will impact his basketball next season as we will be pushing a fast paced game and he will need a lot of breathers as is now.

At the state meet, one of my old employees that I keep in touch with was there as his kids are super swimmers.... they are ultra focused on swimming and do very well (as evidenced by being at state but one of their sons make nationals in the prior season). Swim is their sport and then they might do a little running here and there like a half marathon or something.

I was telling him how my son made state (obviously) but that he missed more practices than he actually went to that season. That he missed all of his practices before his first meet and on the way to the meet I was prepping him with "Ok, you haven't been in the water so don't worry about your times, this is just to get back in the swing of things..." blah blah blah.... the freaking kid dropped time on all his events. I was stunned. My buddy was like "Oh my God... he has so much raw potential" and I was like "I know. It is crazy. I wish he wanted it more but he doesn't so..."

The benefits he has got from swimming is amazing. His conditioning and strength is well above his peers.... who largely are a very good group of athletes as well. At the end of last spring/summer season, I posted a pic of him after his regional meet where he just got out of the pool so no shirt. One of the other fathers at his football practice was like "I can't get over how his physique is at this age" and I grabbed his arm the other day.... dude... his tricep is insane. His 10 year tricep is more defined and solid than mine ever was event at my healthiest in the gym working out.

One of the other Dads from school is actually the swim coach for one of the local public HS. We were talking this week and he was telling me how one day the wrestling coach wanted to switch practices and get his guys in the water. Apparently he saw the swimmers coming out as his wrestlers were going in and he was telling my friend how amazed he was in how much better built the swimmers are than his wrestlers. He also always tells the kids that if the football coach gives them a hard time about swimming versus weight lifting to have them come down and talk to him and he will show him.

I never swam competitively. The only reason we are doing swim is my son near the end of his swimming lessons said he wanted to race people.... so, ok, let me figure that out. I have become a huge fan and advocate for swim now for kids. I think it may be the best sport to have a kid in period for long term health and for the things you mentioned as well. I pushed really hard for one of my kids from basketball to do swim with my son as he really needs to improve his conditioning and I think swimming would be perfect for it. I still don't know if he is or is not.... if he doesn't, I know it will impact his basketball next season as we will be pushing a fast paced game and he will need a lot of breathers as is now.
I also knew nothing about swim team when my son started. My wife swam in high school so she knew what was up and was excited for him. My school didn't have a pool.
I, on the other hand, was a bit disappointed that he dropped football and didn't try out for the HS basketball team (which was MY sport). He was 6'3" in HS and can shoot with either hand.
I went to his first swim meet, not very excited. Let me tell you, when they're side by side, coming into the finish neck and neck, parents, teamates, coaches all screaming, cheering them on, I got goosebumps.
I've never felt like that watching him play football, basketball, lacrosse. I instantly fell in love with the sport.
Also, the health that you mention. Not only are swimmers some of the fittest athletes in the school, no one is getting hurt, broken bones, twisted ankles, concussed, ... like they might in other sports.

Last edited:
I also knew nothing about swim team when my son started. My wife swam in high school so she knew what was up and was excited for him. My school didn't have a pool.
I, on the other hand, was a bit disappointed that he dropped football and didn't try out for the HS basketball team (which was MY sport). He was 6'3" in HS and can shoot with either hand.
I went to his first swim meet, not very excited. Let me tell you, when they're side by side, coming into the finish neck and neck, parents, teamates, coaches all screaming, cheering them on, I got goosebumps.
I've never felt like that watching him play football, basketball, lacrosse. I instantly fell in love with the sport.
Also, the health that you mention. Not only are swimmers some of the fittest athletes in the school, no one is getting hurt, broken bones, twisted ankles, concussed, ... like they might in other sports.
On a pure health viewpoint, there is NO sport that comes close to it for the maximum benefits and the minimum of negatives. I would gladly argue that no other sport matches it for health benefits with every muscle group being used and developed and no active sport has such a minimal chance of injury like it. I have been to a ton of meets- I have seen three health issues. 1) A severe asthma attack (not exactly the fault of the sport) 2) A kid who slipped on the deck and hit his head, I saw the entire thing and the kid was hurrying in one direction and then for whatever reason, changed direction and his feet went up and his head went down. 3) A girl was limping on the deck. I didn't see her until I noticed her limping. I have no idea what happened or if it was even happened in the water or not. It was before the meet, it could have been something during warm ups.

Your kid making a big time drop or qualifying for regionals and even state are huge payoffs. it is a little different from team sports too... even though our basketball team has won league championships back to back and tournament championships and my son contributed to that in meaningful ways, it isn't the same of him being in the water and it is all him. He has an IM a couple of seasons ago that was amazing... this kid and him traded slight leads with each alternate stroke until the very end where it was a photo finish and he beat him by .02. It was one of the best races I have ever seen in my life for any sport.

I love football but I have mixed emotions about him playing it. It is a gamble with injury risk without any doubt. Concussions are a concern as well. Basketball is less of a concern and that was my primary sport growing up.

Huge fan. I really think more parents should encourage their kids to swim. Most will fall out- it is a grueling and grinding sport that takes a lot and most people don't have that drive to stick with it or the mentality to enjoy it. But it is one of the things I have been the most happy about with my kids. I do wish my daughter gave it a try but it is her choice.

Today was the last home games ever for my son's alma mater's baseball team (for those unfamiliar, he had an amazing career with this team and they still call him the program's GOAT). He graduated 2 years ago and despite having a year of eligibility, he chose to not cough up the tuition and play a 5 1/2th year (2020 went 13 games before being cancelled). Nevertheless, this program has produced a very tight brotherhood of players who have maintained their friendships despite going their very separate ways.

This 'band of brothers' is what has kept my wife and I close to the program despite not having a kid on the team for the last 2 years, and I'm proud to repeat here that my son is a big reason for their continued closeness, as he took it on himself to reach out to new players after the players that were there when he arrived did not really welcome him, and from the3rd year of the team's existence moving forward, this was the norm for all of them and will bind them in the years to come. We have made the trip to key home games even though my son wasn't playing any more in order to support the team and see the parents we spent so much time with.

The school fell on hard times due to covid and has been forced to shut its doors for good at the end of this semester. More than half of the 40+ kids on the roster at the time this news broke a year ago, left via the transfer portal, leaving the team with and skeleton crew of 20 players total. Despite being severely undermanned, coming into this weekend they sat at 2nd place in the conference, which would give them a berth in the conference tournament, the winner of which earns an automatic bid to the DIII College World Series. While winning the conference tournament is a nearly impossible feat, the fact that a grossly undermanned squad has done so well this deep into the regular season is an accomplishment that demands recognition, which is why I'm posting it here.

They won the first game last night and split the double-header today, so their standing in the league hasn't suffered and they're just about a lock for the conference tournament. Even though I take strong issue with how the head coach has handled his pitchers from the beginning, I think what he's done this year merits him consideration for coach of the year in the conference, and maybe even recognition on a larger scale.

Flying out tomorrow to Orlando to see my daughter compete in the AllStar Worlds Cheer Championships. At what started off 4 years ago as a "let's get this phase out of her system" moment, has turned into her leading her cheer team and getting really good at throwing other humans in the air, and her second year competing in Florida to finish the season. Level 4 Junior team, moving up to Level 5 Senior team and coaching a younger team next year most likely. Cheer dominates our lives pretty much year round now, but I've become a pretty proud Cheer Dad.

We did in fact run this back this weekend. And while my daughter's level 4 team didn't even make the Finals last year, this year, as a rookie on her Level 5 Senior team, they won Gold Medals for their level and division and silver bracelets for having High Point for their level on day one. This was back-to-back championships for this particular team, the first Worlds wins in the history of the 20 year old gym.

Celebrated with two days at Disney and a "fancy banquet" on site. Many IG pics and TikToks were made. Including the "people wondered what would happen if we didn't win...guess we will never know" meme. Pretty sure we had to check my daughter's head on the flight home because it was too big for the main cabin. But I couldn't be more proud. I told a couple of the Dads at the banquet "my daughter is better at this than anything I have ever done in my life" and we all nodded, teared up a little and went back to our overpriced burgers and beers.

Next Outing: The "perfect" season is over. We lost 3-2 in 9 innings yesterday to the 2nd place team which is tightening up the standings. We have either a 1 or 2 game lead (I will go into this in a bit) with 5 games left to play. One of which is tomorrow against the 2nd place team.

These two teams are so evenly matched the last three games have been a 2-1 win in 12 innings (CIF semi-finals last year), 4-2 win in 8 innings (earlier this year) and yesterday's 3-2 loss in 9 innings. Two very evenly matched teams.

Gally Jr, pitched yesterday and labored a bit as his control was just off a bit with his fast ball. He also had some bad luck with a few infield singles that were good pitches/weak contact that were just placed in unfortunate spots. All said and done he went 6 innings with 6 hits, 1 BB, 1 HBP, 6 K's and 1 ER. He gave up 3 hits in the first (where they scored their lone run off of him) and didn't give up a hit after the 3rd inning. He got stronger as the game went on and left with his team up 2-1 going into the 7th inning (last inning). It should have been good enough for a win. Relief pitcher came in and walked the lead off guy on 4 pitches. Sac bunt to get him to 2nd. Then a hit to score him to tie the game. Moral of the story......lead off walks kill you.

Part of the reason why Gally Jr couldn't go 7 was because their shortstop was sick and tried to gut it out. He ended up puking on the field in the 2nd inning and just couldn't continue. This lead to a defensive shuffle which really hurt the team. The 3B had to go to SS, the LF went to 3B, and a bench guy to LF. That led to two quick errors (one each by the new 3B and SS). This added another 10-15 pitches to the pitch count (about an innings worth of pitches) causing the need to remove Gally jr after six innings (he was at 105 pitches).

Anyway, the other big issue with the SS leaving was that he is the #2 hitter and quite solid. This lead to a bench guy going into his spot and he was basically an automatic out. This team has very little depth and it cost them. There were a couple opportunities with runners in scoring position when this lineup spot came up to bat and three K's later it didn't help the offense. Just an unfortunate situation.

Granted the team had opportunities to extend the lead a few times throughout regulation play and didn't get the job done so it was a team effort here. Gally Jr. had two chances to help himself specifically and couldn't get a hit. He came up in the 4th inning with runners on 2nd & 3rd and two outs and grounded out (hit it hard but right at the SS) and then again a chance to walk it off in the bottom of the 7th with a runner on 2nd and 2 outs (this was a time that the SS being out really hurt because that slot would have been up with 1 out in those same spots as Gally Jr hits right after the SS slot in the lineup). That would have given the team two shots with good hitters instead of one. Regardless, he needs to come through in those spots as a senior and team leader. They weren't bad AB's and he put it in play solidly just right at people.

Anyway, it was a good test and now that they have their first "real" loss out of the way hopefully they can relax and get back to winning. Tomorrow's game will be huge.

Now to touch on the 1 or 2 game lead comment. The second place team had a game get suspended last Friday due to darkness. It was tied and in extra innings at the time of suspension so the continuation of the game took place on Monday. They picked up right where they left off. Here is the controversy. The 2nd place team had a pitcher that was ineligible to pitch on Friday due to pitch count rest rules. They ended up using him on Monday for the completion of the game and ended up winning. However, the losing team protested after saying that he was ineligible to pitch because he was ineligible for the original game and since this was a continuation of that game he is still ineligible to pitch. Personally, the point of pitch count rules is to protect the players and since he was cleared to pitch on Monday (based on rest rules) I would think he should be able to pitch. I see this as the same reason that if a kid had pitched in the start of the game on Friday and threw X pitches that required 3 days rest he wouldn't be allowed to continue pitching on Monday in the resumed game. That pitch count rest should supercede the game "situation".

Regardless, I couldn't find anything that specifically addressed this situation in the CIF Central Section rules. I have no idea what should happen. However, it seems like Max Preps (not that, that is official) is listing the game as a forfeit at this time. But talking with our coaches they didn't think it was an issue and thought it would stand when I talked to them on Tuesday. Officially I haven't heard anything so I have no idea what will be ruled.

It doesn't really matter as if our team just takes care of business it's all in our hands. Until next time.....

Season to date:
  • Pitching: 6-0, 0.84 ERA (58 IP/13R/7ER), 29 H, 7 BB, 5 HPB, 76 K, 6 CG, 2 Shutouts, 1 No Hitter
  • Hitting: .328* (22-67), 16 R, 15 RBI, 8 doubles, 9 BB, 2 K, 4 HBP, 6 for 6 SB, .432 OBP, .880 OPS

* He is in a bit of a slump going 2 for his last 15. Putting the ball in play but not with a lot of authority. Coupled with hitting it right at people. Some of it is he has been put behind the count by some bad early calls on non strikes. It's part of the game and he is recovering well to battle and put the ball in play but it leads to a little more defensive hitting than being able to attack early in the count. Something he is going to have to work through over these last few games.

Last edited:
Four and a half years and 36 pages later, I have come full circle since starting this thread. My son will graduate with his M.S. in Accounting in two weeks. He finished his intramural basketball season for the last time last night in an absolutely soul crushing manner.

His team was ahead by 3 with 4 seconds to go, side out of bounds for the other team at half court. Somehow, there was a pass down the sideline, two running dribbles, a cross court pass, and a desperation three jacked up with the player landing out of bounds apparently a microsecond before the buzzer sounded. Nothing but the bottom of the net. No one is sure how that all happened in the time allotted, but I digress. We're going to overtime.

End of overtime, again up by 3 points, and the other team inbounding off of a timeout with 2 seconds to go from their own baseline. The in-bound pass went to a kid even with the bench on his side of the court, who pivoted and launched a prayer from 65 feet. My son's team started celebrating as the buzzer went off again (with the ball in the air on the opposite side of the court). The basketball gods said thank you for banking with us, the ball went hard off the glass, and it somehow stayed in the basket. Twice in the same game. What are the odds? We're going to double overtime.

Down 6 in double OT. My son (who at this point is essentially the same size as Draymond Green at 6'6", 230 with fewer behavioral issues) executed a perfect screen and roll at the 3P line, drove and made a finger roll above someone near the basket. Down 4. They tried another screen and roll next possession, but the defense saw it coming. He drained a jumper from the elbow. Down 2.

Not much time left, so they blitzed the other team when they crossed half court. Deflected pass, scrum for the ball, they gained possession, followed by a herd of cattle rumbling down court. Last second shot rimmed out. Thank you for coming, drive home safely. His team came in second for the third time in a row (out of roughly 40 teams). Hats off to all those kids. It was their Game 7, and they played like their lives depended on it.

They were all dejected that they fell short again, as they had the game won. Twice they were ahead when the buzzer sounded but couldn't pull it out. It made no difference to me. I was just happy to get my chance to see him play one more time. I never really understood why people sometimes say there are things that money can't buy. Now I know what they mean. Good luck and god bless to those of you with games still to go to.

As gut punching as that 2nd prayer shot was for you guys, the other team mustve been going insane... Incredible story
Yeah, that was a massive redirection of energy. Our guys had their arms up triumphantly and their faces turned to disbelief. My son's body language went to dropping his head and shaking his head. One of his teammates even fell to the ground like someone shot him or stabbed in in the back. The other team went from dejected to screaming up and down and running all over the court. It was pretty clear who had the momentum and who was going to win after that.

Well daughter belljr first collegiate year softball season came to an end. Because of really bad weather this season they only played 32 games. 14-18 not great but the last 2 weeks they played very well even against the top teams. Lost 5-2 today to the top conference team. Finished 5th out of 8 in the division. Last year that would made the playoffs but not this year, only top 4 from each division advance to the conference playoffs.

As I said before I was not at practices but why she was not getting playing time was a head scratcher. She came in 2 weeks ago played well and started 2b the rest of the season.

She did not meet the 75% 2PA average for conference stuff but overall. I know the season is long so she could have slumped, that being said....
21 gp 13 starts
44 PA 40 AB 15 hits 6 2B (she was second on the team with doubles out of everyone.

.375 avg technically highest on team but was short 3 games and probably 20 PA short. The closest that qualifies to her was 58 AB. But still

OPS .957

4BB 7so

4-4 SB

I don't need to go through the rest

Defensively played 2B

62 TC 1 error*

*She was credited with a second error on a play she wasn't even a part of. That still bugs me lol. Home team scores so can't complain it lol

Overall once she got going she performed very well. Hit the 215 fence today.

Very proud and hope it rolls for the next 3

Last edited:
Kid has been dressing with Varsity almost all season. He now has appeared in 19 games and started 5 with the varsity.

Today in a critical must win conference game they had him go in as a defensive replacement in the 8th inning in a 4-3 game (we were leading).

2 outs two on (second and third) a ball was absolutely laced and he laid out to his right to snag this line-drive (he was playing 2B) in the air.

His pitcher went nuts. A fellow freshman to boot whom he played against in high school and travel thru the years…now they are teammates.

That play saved two runs. They went on to win it 4-3.

Tomorrow they have one more conference game and if they win they are in the USA Conference South tournament.

Stay tuned…..

Last edited:
Today in a critical must win conference game they had him go in as a defensive replacement in the 8th inning in a 4-3 game (we were leading).

2 outs two on (second and third) a ball was absolutely laced and he laid out to his right to snag this line-drive (he was playing 2B) in the air.
Defense is so underrated in today's game. It's all offense, all the time. So glad to see him get some props for being a difference defensively....even if it's only from the pitcher (I am sure the rest of the team were going nuts too).

Defense is so underrated in today's game. It's all offense, all the time. So glad to see him get some props for being a difference defensively....even if it's only from the pitcher (I am sure the rest of the team were going nuts too).
Oh yeah he was getting all props in the dugout and from his coaches....it was a huge play. It saved the game.

Yep. Belljr was subbed in for her defense at first. She made some fantastic plays the other 2b just couldn't. I feel she should have laid out for a couple balls but who am I too judge from the stands :)

Not a big thing but it did feel good as a parent.

Swim season has started. My son, who made state last season, was "silver" in the level structure that they have. He was moved up early to it. I was wondering if he was now "gold" or not as the schedule is different for each level. I reached out to the board President and asked and she said he was still "silver".

So, we show up for our first practice (missed earlier ones due to other sports) and I see the HC see him and is looking at him like "what the heck are you doing here?" with almost comical confusion. She then walked over to me and we talked and I told her I had asked.... she was like "well, I mean he was swimming with Hannah all at the end of last season, so I think he is gold now but I will talk with the board." (Hannah is a 14yr girl who is the best swimmer of the club, makes regionals for pretty much every event and several events for state too and broke a couple of club records last season... she is an absolute machine.)

My son, on the other hand, on the way home "I don't want to be Gold" because it is added swim time. :shrug:

Last edited:
Yesterday my son was named to the All-Ivy Lacrosse First Team, one of two sophomores in the conference to do so and only player on his team to make it. It was a tough season for his team as a whole but good to know his play was noticed/appreciated by the other coaches across the conference. Extremely proud.
That's phenomenal!!

Next Update: Let me start by saying Gally Jr was sick all weekend and then it went to his eyes with a bunch of gunk and crap. Might be allergies as it has been windy as hell but I wasn't sure how much stamina he was going to have having been sick for three or four days prior. The team has a 3 game lead with 4 to play for the league championship so a win ensures they at least tie for the title (and have beat the only team in striking distance 2 out of 3 times for the tie break).

Game is on the road so we get to hit first Starts with hit batter, bunt single, walk (Gally Jr on an 8 or 9 pitch AB). walk, K. sac fly, walk, bases clearing double on a two out full count pitch. So it was nice to put a 5 spot up to start the game. Gally jr goes out to the mound and gets three pop ups on 9 pitchers. Great start. Their team is pretty demoralized and their starter continues to struggle and gets pulled in the top of the 2nd without getting and out. We end up with 1 run and Gally Jr. strikes out to end the inning on a 1-2 pitch that was 4 inches into the other batter's box. Just a terrible call and one that you can only shrug as it was even close enough to have to offer at.

I know what is going to happen to the first batter. Sure enough Gally Jr throws the first pitch to that spot.....ball. He stares down the ump with a shrug like come on dude you just rung me up on that pitch. Next pitch he bring it in (still off the plate) and gets the strike call. Their fans go nuts about what a bad call. i just chuckled. Anyway we breeze through into the 5th inning still up 6-0 with no real threats on either side. Typical for this team. They get a lead early and then just shut down. It will likely come back to bite them at some point but their pitching is so good (the other starter has basically the same numbers as Gally Jr. Both with ERA's under one and typically complete every game they start. So their team seems to think 2 or 3 runs and the game is over and their AB's show that approach.

Top of 5, Gally Jr up for his third plate appearance. He gets a 1-1 pitch middle in and hits a towering fly ball. Off that bat i didn't think he got all of it but it got up into the wind and carried out to LF. His first career high school HR. It was the #1 personal goal he had going into his senior year. He didn't want to end his career without a HR. You could tell as he was rounding the bases that the monkey had been lifted...haha. We tack on another run to make in 8-0.

Of course, he comes out and falls behind 2-1 and grooves a fastball (with an 8 run lead why not) and the guy crushes it for a dinger to left. Next guy hard single to center. He gets a ground ball to the first baseman that gets the lead runner. Then a walk and I can see his mechanics are getting away from him a bit and I think that his sickness is coming after him. He was at 54 pitches to start the inning. Next batter hits a routine ground ball to third. Tailor made double play ball. The 3B lifts his head and the ball tips off his glove for an error to load the bases with one out. He saws the next guy off but it is perfectly placed in the 5-6 hole for an infield single to score a run. He buckles down and k's the next guy on 3 fast balls and gets the guy after that to pop out to short. He limited the damage to only 2 runs (could have been much worse) but needed 30-ish pitches to get through it.

We go down quick in the top of the 6th so now at 85 pitches and a tough inning and a bit of a momentum shift this is a big inning. He bounces back and gets them in order on 12 pitches with a couple K's. Great comeback to settle everything down and leaves with 13 pitches for the 7th inning. We don't do anything offensively and he runs back out to close it down. First batter singles on a CB to the 3-4 hole (2nd pitch). Just a seeing eye single. Next guy grounds into a fielders choice leaving him with 5 pitches left. He needs a double play ball to finish the game or a quick out. This guys ends up with an 8 pitch AB and eventually strikes out. Means they gotta bring in a RP. Same guy that blew the save last game. This time he comes in and strikes the guy out on 4 pitches to end the game and ensure they can't do worse than a co-championship.

Final line was 6.2 IP, 6 H, 1 BB, 8 K's, 2 R (1 ER) while going 1-3 with a BB, K, 2 R, RBI, and HR.

Season Totals:
  • Pitching: 8-0, 0.87 ERA (64.2 IP, 15R/8ER), 36 H, 8 BB, 5 HBP, 84 K, 7 CG, 2 SO, 1 No Hitter
  • Hitting: .329 (24 for73), 18 R, 17 RBI, 11 BB, 3 K, 4 HBP, 8 doubles, 1 HR, 6 for 6 SB, .428 OBP, .917 OPS

Users who are viewing this thread