What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (1 Viewer)

Colin Kaepernick receives civil rights award from National Education Association

NEA Public Relations‏ @NEAMedia Jul 1

Congrats! Former San Francisco 49er quarterback @Kaepernick7 received NEA’s highest honor, the NEA President’s Award, for his work to fight racial oppression through education and social justice activism @YourRightsCamp @Lily_NEA #NEARA2018 #EdJustice2018

http://www.nea.org/home/73664.htm

Colin Kaepernick receives civil rights award from National Education Association

NEA Public Relations‏ @NEAMedia Jul 1

Congrats! Former San Francisco 49er quarterback @Kaepernick7 received NEA’s highest honor, the NEA President’s Award, for his work to fight racial oppression through education and social justice activism @YourRightsCamp @Lily_NEA #NEARA2018 #EdJustice2018

http://www.nea.org/home/73664.htm
??????

Another unheard of award that means even less now.

I really hadn’t considered this word in regard to what is happening to Kaepernick but it is extremely accurate. 
The NFL has trotted out some crap QB’s last season, and they will this season too. Kaepernick not even considered (maybe his agent is asking for too much, I dunno) is obvious that the league won’t touch him because of the politics. If Kaep is willing to take a low one to two year contract, and franchises don’t bite, then it’s fairly obvious why. At leadt give him a shot at camp. If he shows he can play after the time away and teams scratch him, well teams have their reasons, but if another team looking at Brian Hoyer instead means fans might see more Hoyer like QBs playing like crap QBs, which doesn’t make that team watchable and worth the ticket price. 

The NFL has trotted out some crap QB’s last season, and they will this season too. Kaepernick not even considered (maybe his agent is asking for too much, I dunno) is obvious that the league won’t touch him because of the politics. If Kaep is willing to take a low one to two year contract, and franchises don’t bite, then it’s fairly obvious why. At leadt give him a shot at camp. If he shows he can play after the time away and teams scratch him, well teams have their reasons, but if another team looking at Brian Hoyer instead means fans might see more Hoyer like QBs playing like crap QBs, which doesn’t make that team watchable and worth the ticket price. 
Then get deposed if you dont sign him.

Kaepernick is simply not good enough to overcome the distractions and media circus he would bring along with him. It's really no more complicated than that.  If there are 32 teams and each are bringing 4 QB into camp, that means 128 quarterbacks are in contention for NFL jobs. Is Kaepernick better than some of them? Absolutely. He may be as good as half of them actually. But since he's not good enough to be a starter, there is very little reward for a team willing to sign him. Let's also not forget that he was no where near as effective as he was his first couple of seasons. So how much further has the regression gone? What if a team rolls the dice and brings him into camp but he's not good enough to make the final 53?  Then the team decides to cut him. Will Al Sharpton be all over the TV talkin about racism? Jesse Jackson spouting off about how unfair he's being treated? African Americans protesting outside the team's facility? 

No team is taking that gamble and bringing the media attention for what could possibly be a bordeline QB2. 

Kaepernick is simply not good enough to overcome the distractions and media circus he would bring along with him. It's really no more complicated than that.  If there are 32 teams and each are bringing 4 QB into camp, that means 128 quarterbacks are in contention for NFL jobs. Is Kaepernick better than some of them? Absolutely. He may be as good as half of them actually. But since he's not good enough to be a starter, there is very little reward for a team willing to sign him. Let's also not forget that he was no where near as effective as he was his first couple of seasons. So how much further has the regression gone? What if a team rolls the dice and brings him into camp but he's not good enough to make the final 53?  Then the team decides to cut him. Will Al Sharpton be all over the TV talkin about racism? Jesse Jackson spouting off about how unfair he's being treated? African Americans protesting outside the team's facility? 

No team is taking that gamble and bringing the media attention for what could possibly be a bordeline QB2. 
I agree with you about the distraction.  Tebow was in a similar boat, but he was a borderline backup.  Maybe he could have latched on as a backup, but the circus wasn't worth it.   Kaepernick is a borderline starter.  

I disagree with you about the bolded.   The 2016 team sucked, but his 2016 stats were pretty similar to 2013 and probably better than 2014.  His QB rating was the 3rd highest of his career.   His 59.2% completion percentage was pretty consistent with the rest of his seasons.   16 TDs and 4 ints over 12 games isn't bad, particularly when he had nearly 500 yards rushing and another 2 TD's on the ground.   Project that over 16 games that's 2988 yards, 20 TDs and 5 ints, with 624 yards rushing and 3 TDs.

Well come on now, he played for the 49ers. That team is a dysfunctional dumpster fire. They had a line coach and Chip Kelley in consecutive years after almost all of Scot McGlouhan’s talent left and Trent Baalke was a disster at GM. Thar leads to a lot of context to his situation 

Great week for NFL players.  I think everyone is starting to see the real reason they kneel - they want to do whatever they want without any consequences :lmao:  

tjnc09 said:
Great week for NFL players.  I think everyone is starting to see the real reason they kneel - they want to do whatever they want without any consequences :lmao:  
Not sure what you are referring to.   

I think he's saying that players are kneeling so that Lesean McCoy can beat his girlfriend. Or something.
 Plus Brandon Pettigrew assaulted a police officer.  I think a few other guys had some run ins too

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you about the distraction.  Tebow was in a similar boat, but he was a borderline backup.  Maybe he could have latched on as a backup, but the circus wasn't worth it.   Kaepernick is a borderline starter.  

I disagree with you about the bolded.   The 2016 team sucked, but his 2016 stats were pretty similar to 2013 and probably better than 2014.  His QB rating was the 3rd highest of his career.   His 59.2% completion percentage was pretty consistent with the rest of his seasons.   16 TDs and 4 ints over 12 games isn't bad, particularly when he had nearly 500 yards rushing and another 2 TD's on the ground.   Project that over 16 games that's 2988 yards, 20 TDs and 5 ints, with 624 yards rushing and 3 TDs.
He was playing against prevent defense because his poor play put them in a hole. 

rude classless thugs said:
The conference call was reportedly about how to prevent future public relations problems for the founder and chairman of the Papa John's pizza chain. :lmao:  
Consultant:  So whatever you do DON'T use these words (reads off a list of really racist ####). 

Papa John:  (Thinks to himself, he didn't say the N word.  Cool, I guess that's okay.  I mean negros say it all the time!) 

Consultant: John?  Do you understand John? 

Papa John:  Yeah, yeah. (Should I ask?  I mean it wasn't on list?!  I better ask just in case.)  I can still say N right? 

Consultant:  :hasheartattack:

He used the word in an example of why the word is wrong to a consultant trying to help them with public relations and he got fired?  Do what now?  Has this world gone completely mad.  You cannot use the word in any context now?  As a society what the hell are we becoming?
“Colonel Sanders called blacks n-----s,” Schnatter said, before complaining that Sanders never faced public backlash.

Schnatter also reflected on his early life in Indiana, where, he said, people used to drag African-Americans from trucks until they died. 

Joe Summer said:
Meanwhile Papa John used the N-word during conference call about NFL players.

But yeah, it's not about race at alllllllllllllll.
He used the word in an example of why the word is wrong to a consultant trying to help them with public relations and he got fired?  Do what now?  Has this world gone completely mad.  You cannot use the word in any context now?
No, he didn't use the word as an example of why the word was wrong. He used the word as an example of how it was unfair that Colonel Sanders got to say it without backlash.

He was jealous!

Oh, and by the way, COLONEL SANDERS NEVER CALLED BLACKS THE N-WORD!!!!

That's right, Papa John fell for an urban legend at some point in his life, and the story about a fast food titan who got away with saying the N-word resonated with him SO MUCH that he believed it without ever bothering to do the slightest bit of research to confirm if it was true, and then he decided that the (fake) story of the racist restaurant icon was SO IMPORTANT that he just HAD to tell it to multiple people during a corporate conference call where one of the general themes was "how to salvage our image with the African American community".

Joe Summer said:
Meanwhile Papa John used the N-word during conference call about NFL players.

But yeah, it's not about race at alllllllllllllll.

He used the word in an example of why the word is wrong to a consultant trying to help them with public relations and he got fired?  Do what now?  Has this world gone completely mad.  You cannot use the word in any context now?  As a society what the hell are we becoming?
Bill Mahar used it on national TV and got a pass.  Nobody should be using it.

No, he didn't use the word as an example of why the word was wrong. He used the word as an example of how it was unfair that Colonel Sanders got to say it without backlash.

He was jealous!

Oh, and by the way, COLONEL SANDERS NEVER CALLED BLACKS THE N-WORD!!!!

That's right, Papa John fell for an urban legend at some point in his life, and the story about a fast food titan who got away with saying the N-word resonated with him SO MUCH that he believed it without ever bothering to do the slightest bit of research to confirm if it was true, and then he decided that the (fake) story of the racist restaurant icon was SO IMPORTANT that he just HAD to tell it to multiple people during a corporate conference call where one of the general themes was "how to salvage our image with the African American community".
I guess I read it wrong as I took it as him meaning how things used to be.  The writer implied he was complaining.  I still cannot believe he lost his job over it. 

I guess I read it wrong as I took it as him meaning how things used to be.  The writer implied he was complaining.  I still cannot believe he lost his job over it. 
Ask your boss if you can say (wow, the filter actually erased the word and didnt just *** it) at work and let me know their reaction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask your boss if you can say (wow, the filter actually erased the word and didnt just *** it) at work and let me know their reaction.
I work for myself but I get your point.   My point is (just like the thread on here recently) the "N word" and the hysteria around it is reaching biblical proportions.   Some people can say it others get crucified for it.  Its bizarre. 

I work for myself but I get your point.   My point is (just like the thread on here recently) the "N word" and the hysteria around it is reaching biblical proportions.   Some people can say it others get crucified for it.  Its bizarre. 
Sorry, but it hasn't been ok to say the N word in a pretty long time. This isn't some new development.

pantherclub said:

He used the word in an example of why the word is wrong to a consultant trying to help them with public relations and he got fired? Do what now? Has this world gone completely mad. You cannot use the word in any context now?
He didn't get fired. He stepped down as Chairman Of The Board (a mostly ceremonial position).

That said, I don't think that the N-word is so taboo that it can never be uttered. But when you are the face of a major corporation, you have to understand that anything you say can potentially hurt the brand.

Schnatter damaged his brand, and he decided that the best way to fix his mistake was to step down.

He didn't get fired. He stepped down as Chairman Of The Board (a mostly ceremonial position).

That said, I don't think that the N-word is so taboo that it can never be uttered. But when you are the face of a major corporation, you have to understand that anything you say can potentially hurt the brand.

Schnatter damaged his brand, and he decided that the best way to fix his mistake was to step down.
He did major damage in the last year and the value of the company has been tanking.  I think it was a move that needed to happen.

I'm not sure how some people are still confused over it.
The problem is if you listen to any kind of rap music as I do from time to time you are inundated with that word...sometimes 20-30 times in one song. It has been years since I heard a white person use it around me.

I never hear Japanese people saying "Hey my ***" Or Mexicans using ******* or insert any other slur.  Just seems like the word is so dated that it should go away.

The problem is if you listen to any kind of rap music as I do from time to time you are inundated with that word...sometimes 20-30 times in one song. It has been years since I heard a white person use it around me.

I never hear Japanese people saying "Hey my ***" Or Mexicans using ******* or insert any other slur.  Just seems like the word is so dated that it should go away.
I do enjoy rap music and will use the word when singing the lyrics.  I am careful about singing those lyrics around certain people though.  I do not use that word around others and do not like hearing others use it.  If black people want to use then they can go right ahead.  I actually wish they wouldn't either as it seems like a justification of the word.

Da Guru said:

The problem is if you listen to any kind of rap music as I do from time to time you are inundated with that word...sometimes 20-30 times in one song. It has been years since I heard a white person use it around me.
I'm not sure what you're saying here. Are you saying that Papa John had a lapse in judgment because he listened to too much rap music?

Listening to rap you also hear the “B-word” (female dog) a lot. I willing to bet that most people know not to use that word when addressing their wife or girlfriend or on conference calls with co-workers or clients or potential clients etc.

Listening to rap you also hear the “B-word” (female dog) a lot. I willing to bet that most people know not to use that word when addressing their wife or girlfriend or on conference calls with co-workers or clients or potential clients etc.
:oldunsure:

I also wouldn't find it acceptable for one woman to call another woman the b-word and it would reflect on that person the same way anyone that uses the n-word would regardless of color.

Users who are viewing this thread