What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (1 Viewer)

beer 30 said:
No chance Watson comes to CLE
I hope not. I suppose I'm an oddball but, for me, character matters. I'd rather not have a molesting perv on a team I root for even if he is a good talent. I'd likely not watch what little of the Browns is in TV down here if they signed Watson. Just no way I could root for him.

Browns kickers have sucked for years. Matt Gay can be had for 2.5 million and a 5th round pick. Too much?

Rams extended an original-round tender to restricted free agent K Matt Gay.

Gay's tender is valued at $2.5 million. If another team matches that offer, they would also have to send a fifth-round pick to LA, as Gay was originally selected in the fifth round. Gay connected on all but two of his 34 field goal attempts last season. He only missed one of his 49 extra points. Kicking for an explosive LA offense, Gay will be a solid fantasy option in 2022.

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

Mar 15, 2022, 8:11 PM ET

“BAKER MAYFIELDQB, CLEVELAND BROWNS

Baker Mayfield has posted a cryptic message to Browns fans on his Twitter account.  

Forgive the gossipy news description, but we weren't sure what else to call Mayfield's multi-paragraph message to the people of Cleveland. "I have given this franchise everything I have," Mayfield said. "That is something I have done at every stage, and at every level. And that will not change wherever I take my next snap. Whatever happens ... I just want to say thank you." Alrighty then. The Browns and Mayfield were basically already in open combat before the team met with Deshaun Watson on Tuesday. Now the breach appears irreparable. Not that Mayfield really possesses anything in the way of leverage coming off his dismal 2021. Nevertheless, stay tuned.”

:shock:

i wonder if he saw my topic about him.  :unsure:

i wonder if he saw my topic about him.
Wow, the world pays attention your posts?  Pat yourself on the ### much?  

Added a Pro Bowl KR.

----------------------------------------------

Ari Meirov@MySportsUpdate

Former #Bears Pro Bowl returner and WR Jakeem Grant is signing with the #Browns on a 3-year, $13.8M deal, per NFL Network. Grant was acquired in-season by Chicago and had over 740 return yards and 3 total TDs (2 on offense, 1 as returner).

The #Browns are releasing veteran TE Austin Hooper, per @JFowlerESPN. Signed to a big contract in 2020, Hooper is done in Cleveland after just two seasons and will be a free agent once again.

Cleveland will designate him as a post-June 1 cut for cap purposes.

The #Browns are releasing veteran TE Austin Hooper, per @JFowlerESPN. Signed to a big contract in 2020, Hooper is done in Cleveland after just two seasons and will be a free agent once again.

I guess the Njoku signing makes more sense now

thank goodness.  

(FantasyPros) The Browns and linebacker Anthony Walker, Jr., are in agreement on a one-year deal worth $5 million. Analysis: The 26-year-old will remain with Cleveland for his second year there. In 2021, he started 12 games with two pass deflections, 113 tackles, and one sack. He returns to play middle linebacker for the team that was 14th in the league in defensive rating last year.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-browns-baker-mayfield-breaking-203226193.html

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/16/report-browns-baker-mayfield-are-breaking-up-because-browns-want-an-adult-at-quarterback/?partner=Yahoo

According to the article above, the Browns are done with Mayfield and want an "adult" at QB. I understand them wanting an upgrade as it's pretty obvious Baker isn't going to be special at the NFL level, but it's laughable if they consider Watson an "adult" compared to Mayfield. On one hand, I think we all know that paying for play, so to speak, between young male athletes and attractive females is not out of the norm for these guys as a whole, but not being smart enough to keep that part of his life private definitely says something about Watson. And I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt in regards to what he has been accused of during these interactions. 

I'm not sure who the source from the Browns is in regards to the "adult" comment, but I truly hope it isn't from anyone with power in that organization. Disregard all of this if they make a trade for Matt Ryan or some other over the hill "adult"

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the article above, the Browns are done with Mayfield and want an "adult" at QB.
According to Mort.  Mort is the guy who said "adult", and he never said that the word came from the Browns.

Kinda looks like resetting the cap will be an ongoing part of the overall plan.  Tretter's cut was facilitated by Nick Harris, and I'd be surprised if moving OBJ wasn't the plan when they drafted Schwartz.  QB remains the big question mark.  Do they intend to do the same there?

then, probably a poor choice to use Mort as your "insider" to leak info

causing a rift that isn't real
Maybe it's just me.  I have a hard time attributing quotes to someone by inference.  I think it's both illogical and dirty.  It also implies that the organization is underhanded and doesn't have the cajones to say what they mean outright.

Godsbrother said:
Baker Mayfield must be pretty happy with the Browns right now...
Oh well, get over it.  

He could be a big baby and screw his future, or he could be that "adult" and ball out, then put some leverage his way.  

Oh well, get over it.  

He could be a big baby and screw his future, or he could be that "adult" and ball out, then put some leverage his way.  
Looks like Baker has formally requested a trade.  Not that the Browns have to comply but it as Mike Tomlin frequently says "we want volunteers, not hostages".

Assuming they do trade Mayfield do the Browns go QB in the first round?

Looks like Baker has formally requested a trade.  Not that the Browns have to comply but it as Mike Tomlin frequently says "we want volunteers, not hostages".

Assuming they do trade Mayfield do the Browns go QB in the first round?
I hope they dont go QB in the 1st.

It would be infinitely better to grab a guy like Ryan, trade down from 13 for to get another future 1st, and look at the draft next year for a QB.

This ain't the year to go for a QB

I hope they dont go QB in the 1st.

It would be infinitely better to grab a guy like Ryan, trade down from 13 for to get another future 1st, and look at the draft next year for a QB.

This ain't the year to go for a QB

We'll trade you Mason Rudolph, even throw in a couple Primanti's sandwiches in the deal  ;)

Nah, don't blame Baker for wanting a trade now in the slightest. Obviously Cleveland doesn't have to oblige, but if the is openly seeking to replace you, nothing wrong with accepting that and helping it along.

It’s like the Browns and Mayfield are doing their best to see who can screw this thing up more. 

Honestly, at this point the Browns should get rid of the entire front office and the coaching staff and start over. It’s clear there’s an overall culture problem. I’ve heard a lot about how smart the Browns are and how into analytics they are, but they somehow ignored that putting a bunch of assets together isn’t the same as building a culture and a team. 

It’s like the Browns and Mayfield are doing their best to see who can screw this thing up more. 

Honestly, at this point the Browns should get rid of the entire front office and the coaching staff and start over. It’s clear there’s an overall culture problem. I’ve heard a lot about how smart the Browns are and how into analytics they are, but they somehow ignored that putting a bunch of assets together isn’t the same as building a culture and a team. 
This GM didnt draft Baker.  

The team was literally a high end QB away from being a top team.

Going after Watson was the right move, even if it meant losing Baker without getting Watson.  

I don't understand this perspective. Little help?

What we see is a front office willing to take a big risk to win a SB and I applaud that even if I didn't want Watson's baggage because whoever gets him gets a big headache IMHO.

I LOVE the aggressive mentality of our front office and that they will take a big risk.

Baker upset?  Yeah, suck it up buttercup.  If that is the worst thing to happen in your career, then you're blessed.

Nothing has changed AFIC.  The big news is happening in the AFCW and Baltimore is making  solid moves and they'll be healthy so it will be a tough slog no matter what we get out of the QB position but I like the idea of a really pissedoff Baker Mayfield starting with a healthy O-line and better WRs and everyone has completely written us off.  That is the best part. 

I LOVE the aggressive mentality of our front office and that they will take a big risk.

Baker upset?  Yeah, suck it up buttercup. 
Just read this:

----------------------

Football Perspective@fbgchase

I don't think the Browns talking to Deshaun Watson about a possible trade is worse than the Packers drafting Jordan Love. Yes, it will anger your QB but -- putting aside everything else -- angering your QB is not necessarily a bad thing.

--------

Football Perspective@fbgchase

Meanwhile, if Cleveland really wants to get Watson (which I don't agree with) then the risk is worth it. I am not sure why we act like taking risks is inherently bad. It's risky to go for it on 4th down but the upside may be worth it. Same thing when it comes to vet acquisition.

-------

Completely agree. 

Love the risk-taking mentality of our FO even if I wasn't sold on Watson's baggage.

After the Pack drafted Love, it lit a fire under Rodgers.  Baker gets motivated by negative talk.  He's going to be super motivated.

The timing of all this nonsense is a bit unfortunate.

I cant help but think this QB search and Baker drama is a turnoff to potential free agents. 

The timing of all this nonsense is a bit unfortunate.

I cant help but think this QB search and Baker drama is a turnoff to potential free agents. 
I don't think so. It shows those available on the market the Browns are committed to getting better. 

Dont get me wrong, everything they have done and tried to do has been the right move, just bad timing is all.  They cant control that.

cant help but think this QB search and Baker drama is a turnoff to potential free agents. 
I don't think so.
The Cleveland Browns have behaved EXPECTIONALLY to free agents.

See OBJ last year getting his release when the Browns had practically zero reasons to accommodate him.  Other FAs saw the Browns did him a good turn.

See J.C. Trettor given his release at the start of free agency, and the best was announcing Cooper will be released on June 1st now so teams can count on him being available.  The Browns are EXCEPTIONAL in how they have dealt with FAs.

The Cleveland Browns have behaved EXPECTIONALLY to free agents.

See OBJ last year getting his release when the Browns had practically zero reasons to accommodate him.  Other FAs saw the Browns did him a good turn.

See J.C. Trettor given his release at the start of free agency, and the best was announcing Cooper will be released on June 1st now so teams can count on him being available.  The Browns are EXCEPTIONAL in how they have dealt with FAs.
Okay, Donald J.

Does this look like same ole' Browns to the public? Of course. Within NFL circles? I doubt it. AB's praises for how he manages his operation are sung throughout the league. This week is a bad look for Baker, but the Browns? Nah.

Does this look like same ole' Browns to the public? Of course. Within NFL circles? I doubt it. AB's praises for how he manages his operation are sung throughout the league. This week is a bad look for Baker, but the Browns? Nah.
They're not mutually exclusive.

Baker is a putz, but the back and forth of "He's our guy because he has to be...until we find someone better" doesn't look great.

Think about being a free agent WR.  You going to the Browns right now?  Who's your QB?

Think about an older vet of any position with a couple good years left who wants to win.  You going to a team who doesnt know which mid tier QB they will have??

Think about being a free agent WR.  You going to the Browns right now?  Who's your QB?

Think about an older vet of any position with a couple good years left who wants to win.  You going to a team who doesnt know which mid tier QB they will have??
We traded for Amari and signed the FA WR/KR from Chicago.  Its a deep WR class and its a given we'll get at least one in the draft.  The FA WR market has been tapped so I don't anticipate any other WR signings unless its in the 2nd wave and we land a bargain but the draft will 'likely' be the extent of any major additions.  

We are nearly set at WR.  Not sure anyone with the Browns is sweating the FA WR market.

Users who are viewing this thread