What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CJ Anderson (1 Viewer)

He had two games in a row in one of the best RB systems and OLs in football.  

I can't believe people are still comparing a RB on Team A to another RB on a completely different team B.
Well in 2014 in Denver he also had two games better than anything they did this year. 

Then he got hurt in 2015, came back, and in two straight years put up two games better than Howard or Fournette has put up in 2018. And now it's three in a row despite sitting out most of the season.

What evidence is there that he's something other than an above-average power back?

tjnc09 said:
He had two games in a row in one of the best RB systems and OLs in football.  

I can't believe people are still comparing a RB on Team A to another RB on a completely different team B.
Plus look who he was up against....two of the worst defenses in the league playing for nothing.

Plus look who he was up against....two of the worst defenses in the league playing for nothing.
San Fran's D is #13 in the league, #14 against the run. And when Howard played them just last week he put up 13/53/1. He also played Arizona earlier in the year and managed 24/61/1 (2.54 YPC). 

C.J. Anderson rushed 23 times for 123 yards and two touchdowns in the Rams' Divisional Round win over the Cowboys.

Stunningly, Anderson out-carried Todd Gurley 23-16, though Gurley did play more snaps. Gurley also got more involved as the game wore on. Big and bulky, Anderson was simply punishing a Cowboys defense that was excellent against the run this season. It helped that his offensive line was paving massive lanes. Although coach Sean McVay told the FOX booth that Gurley's limited usage was more of a "cardio" issue than anything else, it is safe to say that CJA is officially a part of the offense. He will be a DFS dark horse for the NFC Championship Game.

Jan 12 - 11:34 PM

If this guy signs with the Rams moving forward, he’s going to really diminish Gurley, but the Rams are going to be damned close to unbeatable.  They’ll be able to hand the ball off 35 times a game and gash Ds with the high ypc, but Goff may not suffer too much with the improved opportunities when Ds are forced to load the box.  Fewer attempts but his ypa could be outrageous.

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the Rams "absolutely" want C.J. Anderson to return in 2019.

Anderson spent much of the year bouncing around the league, enduring forgettable stints in Carolina and Oakland before finding a home in Los Angeles. Despite looking much heavier than his listed weight of 225 pounds, the 27-year-old has been highly productive since joining the Rams in Week 16, topping 100 yards rushing in three of his four appearances while supplying four touchdowns during that span. Keeping Anderson wouldn't be a bad idea for the Rams, especially considering Todd Gurley's history of knee issues, though the former Bronco will likely draw interest from several teams when he hits the free agent market this offseason.

Source: NFL.com 

Feb 3 - 11:15 AM

Any news on Anderson?  Are the Rams trying to re-sign him?  I haven’t seen him taking any visits anywhere...

It seems like they wanted to see what would happen with Malcolm Brown first, which makes sense. I know they have cap issues so I don’t know what they want to spend on a backup RB.

It seems like they wanted to see what would happen with Malcolm Brown first, which makes sense. I know they have cap issues so I don’t know what they want to spend on a backup RB.
Looks like the Rams are keeping Brown, so a CJ return doesn't seem likely. Maybe the Lions should look at him.

"Source: The #Rams are matching the two-year, $3.25M offer sheet for RFA RB Malcolm Brown, source said. They keep him, the #Lions will keep searching. He gets a $100K signing bonus and $1 million guaranteed."

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1109081930287509506

Looks like the Rams are keeping Brown, so a CJ return doesn't seem likely. Maybe the Lions should look at him.

"Source: The #Rams are matching the two-year, $3.25M offer sheet for RFA RB Malcolm Brown, source said. They keep him, the #Lions will keep searching. He gets a $100K signing bonus and $1 million guaranteed."

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1109081930287509506
Brown is an interesting FF asset with the Rams.

Nice stash with Gurley’s knee an unknown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure he has much value in Detroit 
While he doesn't have *much* value, he does have some value. He's going to get touches and maybe at the goal line work. Maybe similar to how Blount was? We know that they're going to limit Kerryon's load because they said as much about a week ago. Patricia seems to have those BB ideas about RBBC roles being clear.

He ran well enough in LA but it's a different, less accomplished line in DET. He's only 28 and  seems like a team player.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lions released RB C.J. Anderson.

Anderson was de-emphasized in the Lions' Week 2 game plan, seeing both his snaps and touches halved. We would like to think it's good news for Kerryon Johnson, though the corresponding move to Anderson's release was claiming Paul Perkins off waivers. Johnson actually saw his snap percentage decline in Week 2 from Week 1. As CJA showed last postseason, there is still some juice in his 28-year-old legs. He should resurface shortly.

RELATED: 

Detroit Lions

Sep 17, 2019, 5:44 PM ET

Total enigma this guy. Never heard that he was a locker room problem, and he seemed to really meaningfully contribute wherever he was.

He took over from Ball when he got injured in Denver and went to the Pro Bowl. The next year he was instrumental to the Broncos in getting to -- and winning the Superbowl. He soundly held off Booker and was running really well until injuring his knee half way through the season then going on IR. Then he came back the next year and was the only offense the Broncos really had, going over 1K. Then was shipped to Carolina where the only knock against him was not being CMC. Then look what he did last year for the Rams when Gurley was out.

Bottom line, not sure why he is not used when all he has ever done, seemingly, is produce.

Do we think CJA will find success with a new team? Worth holding on to or this inability to stick with a team -- despite producing -- not worth clinging to?

It truly is baffling what continues to happen to CJA.

Washington should sign this guy to help out ADP while Guice is on the mend. 

Miami is gonna need some more warm bodies soon.

Houston could use a quality RB3

His ypc on few touches was way down from his normal ypc. I also think the coaches saw things on film like potential open holes or blitz pick ups and simply felt they wanted something else. Also, KJ has looked pretty good out there, if he can handle 15-20 carries regularly you don't really need someone else that requires 10-15 touches a game. His role was dialed back, maybe they think they are doing him a favor or maybe they feel he is hiding an injury and that is impacting his performance, anything is possible. 

Certainly, Ty Johnson has looked pretty decent so far and it looked like in the last game that Patricia wanted to give him a go. No idea why you don’t just keep CJ on the depth chart in case of emergencies though 
Because some leagues have short-ish benches making these decisions to hard to make, or sustain for long when you are carrying a guy who is a FA when another guy who is actually playing can be putting points on your board.

I want to believe that CJA will come back to a team -- Rams seem most likely at this point -- but I don't have the luxury of fallow spots on my bench.

Because some leagues have short-ish benches making these decisions to hard to make, or sustain for long when you are carrying a guy who is a FA when another guy who is actually playing can be putting points on your board.

I want to believe that CJA will come back to a team -- Rams seem most likely at this point -- but I don't have the luxury of fallow spots on my bench.
I think he was speaking of the Lions

Total enigma this guy. Never heard that he was a locker room problem, and he seemed to really meaningfully contribute wherever he was.

He took over from Ball when he got injured in Denver and went to the Pro Bowl. The next year he was instrumental to the Broncos in getting to -- and winning the Superbowl. He soundly held off Booker and was running really well until injuring his knee half way through the season then going on IR. Then he came back the next year and was the only offense the Broncos really had, going over 1K. Then was shipped to Carolina where the only knock against him was not being CMC. Then look what he did last year for the Rams when Gurley was out.

Bottom line, not sure why he is not used when all he has ever done, seemingly, is produce.

Do we think CJA will find success with a new team? Worth holding on to or this inability to stick with a team -- despite producing -- not worth clinging to?

It truly is baffling what continues to happen to CJA.
The Raiders had nobody at RB last year and they cut him within a week..between Car and LAR

The Raiders had nobody at RB last year and they cut him within a week..between Car and LAR
They had Martin who had a solid year, and Richard.

They signed CJ to ostensibly provide depth down the stretch, but a week later the team fired Reggie McKenzie and started to overhaul their roster -- signing Denver Kirkland and Cameron Hunt to make up for Feliciano being IR's. 

This was just the team having to shed positions to make up for others, and beginning to overhaul the team with new leadership, and not anything to do with CJA's performance, value, or lack thereof. Dude just got caught in the shuffle.

The Raiders are terrible at personnel management. They also cut Amari Cooper. And then they signed and cut Antonio Brown, and also picked up two of the biggest problems in the league, Incognito and Burfict, and probably neither of those survives the season. Getting cut by the Raiders is an indication of talent.

Detroit isn't much better but it's definitely weird timing.

They got a 1st rounder for Cooper.  Everyone thought Dallas overpaid at the time and that it was a great trade for the Raiders.
The Cooper trade seems fair to everyone involved.  Cooper didn't want to be in Oakland and is doing well so far in Dallas.  The first round pick is useful for a rebuilding Raiders team and Cooper can be replaced.  The Mack trade was horrible for the Raiders.  Still drives this long time Raider fan crazy.  

The Cooper trade seems fair to everyone involved.  Cooper didn't want to be in Oakland and is doing well so far in Dallas.  The first round pick is useful for a rebuilding Raiders team and Cooper can be replaced.  The Mack trade was horrible for the Raiders.  Still drives this long time Raider fan crazy.  
NOW the Cooper trade seems fair.  At the time, it seemed like Oakland got the better of it for sure.  Hard to judge a trade after the fact, with all the information at the time, Oakland did well there.

Mack, sure that hurt them.  They got a good return though.  Would they have contended last year, this year, or next year with Mack though?  I think not.  So in terms of playoff runs, in the long run I think that Mack trade will pay off.

Future first rounder. Turned out to be the 27th pick. For a player they drafted with the fourth pick and who was pretty clearly the best player on their offense.
He was awful in Oakland.  For whatever reason.  Might have been Carr, but Carr is still the QB.  Cooper wasn't going to suddenly turn it around and be a stud in Oakland.  It was a fantastic trade for Oakland, what Cooper did in a new offense with a new QB is irrelevant.  He sucked in oakland and that likely would have continued.

Users who are viewing this thread