What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Christmas Tree Dispute, Settle This Argument. (1 Viewer)

Should be up no earlier than Thanksgiving weekend.....we used to go cut ours day after Thanksgiving. Turkey samiches for lunch.

It can be left up until new years day, and then must be taken down.....it's a fire hazard at that point.

What's the earliest you can put one up and latest it can be taken down?

Anything before Thanksgiving is a desperate plea for help and any longer than Jan 1 wreaks of laziness.
This seems to be consensus. I'd like to get mine up the week before Thanksgiving and my wife disagrees. I've polled countless people and this is basically the answer 95% have given (although first week of Jan has been consensus, not Jan 1)

My wife would have it up year round if I let her.

She now decorates a "Fall" tree which has so far staved off divorce as a compromise.

"Christmas" tree can't be decorated any earlier than Thanksgiving night (we typically aren't home then, so usually the next week).

Would like to have it down by the 2nd week of January but we have had 2 kids playing travel hockey for the past 10 years, so we are lucky if it comes down by February due to time constraints.

My neighbor put their Christmas tree up shortly after Halloween last week. My wife wants to put up ours this weekend, I made a comment that I thought that was crazy and boy you would have thought I kicked the cat across the room. So my comment is when it goes up and when it comes down doesn't matter to me it is entirely up to my wife and I will stay out of it.

Earliest would be weekend after Thanksgiving. Preferred would be December 1st. Take down first week of January.

Put up after Thanksgiving
Take down (according to my wife) is after the Epiphany...Jan 6th. This marks the visit from the 3 wise men
Yeah, religiously this makes sense.

But, if we're getting religious, Jesus, assuming he walked the Earth, was mostly likely born in summer 4 B.C. without a pine tree in sight so... :shrug:

Not up before Thanksgiving and needs to be down by first weekend in January. My birthday is 12/2, so I used to force my wife to wait until then, but she got upset about it once, so my birthday is Christmas themed from now on.

We sometimes leave the outdoor lights up until end of January because they look so darned good...especially when it snows.

Put up after Thanksgiving
Take down (according to my wife) is after the Epiphany...Jan 6th. This marks the visit from the 3 wise men
Yeah, religiously this makes sense.

But, if we're getting religious, Jesus, assuming he walked the Earth, was mostly likely born in summer 4 B.C. without a pine tree in sight so... :shrug:
I do not share my wife's beliefs

Fake tree - anytime or leave it up year round - it's fake, you're already a sinner
Pre-cut - after Thanksgiving, before new year
Fresh cut - day or 2 before Thanksgiving, week after new year

I see the consensus is 1st week of Jan. Is that purely for religious reasons or do people grow tired of them by then? I personally keep mind up until end of Jan along with the lights. I just like the way both look especially with Winter being so dreary and that's typically around the time I get tired of looking at them.
My parents were school teachers and I’ve done IT for a school system for 20+ years. It coincides with the end of break for me.

I do leave outside lights up longer to fight off the dreariness though.

Ours has been up for a week. Driving around town there are a lot of houses with trees already. We also decorate like the Griswold's so it takes some time to get everything up.

We put our two trees up 3 days ago.
Ours has been up for a week. Driving around town there are a lot of houses with trees already. We also decorate like the Griswold's so it takes some time to get everything up.
So, what you guys are saying is that you are soulless, godless heathens who have nothing to be thankful for?

I’m thankful my tree is up and I can drink whiskey every night the rest of the year while staring at it.

I love that. 🎅

This is one of those things I love that I prefer my friends have, like trampolines or boats.

I knew someone whose mother insisted on Christmas tree/living room decorated for Christmas year round. Tree was on a stand that slowly rotated as well.

We are probably doing the trees this weekend. My wife wants the decorations up as soon as possible and I don’t really care. Honestly considering how much work it is I’m fine with it. Doing all that work for 3 weeks isn’t great.

I love that. 🎅

This is one of those things I love that I prefer my friends have, like trampolines or boats.
My wife loves it and does at least 50% of the work. I usually have a few choice words each year while putting them up, but once it's done it looks great. Last year I had a 16ft pvc pipe tree. This year I cemented a plastic sleeve in the ground and have a 20 ft flag pole to stick in it and use for a tree.
https://imgur.com/a/UI2F4G5

Last edited:
I love that. 🎅

My wife loves it and does at least 50% of the work. I usually have a few choice words each year while putting them up, but once it's done it looks great. Last year I had a 16ft pvc pipe tree. This year I cemented a plastic sleeve in the ground and have a 20 ft flag pole to stick in it and use for a tree.
the little lights aren't twinkling

Hmmm, this "fall tree" might have legs. Just leave the tree up year round and decorate accordingly.

Don't think I would ever do year-round tree but the year-round lights is something I've considered.

this is one of several systems you can get. I think @gianmarco had a thread for one (maybe that one) a while back but I'm too lazy to look for it.

I love that. 🎅

the little lights aren't twinkling
I know Art. And thanks for noticing.

In my neck of the woods, with many from Latin America, some Christmas trees would stay up until Three Kings Day, the 12th day of Christmas. That's Jan 6.

A week or so before Thanksgiving and then taken down typically the first or second week of Jan. I may go earlier or later, especially for the outdoor stuff based on the weather.

Hmmm, this "fall tree" might have legs. Just leave the tree up year round and decorate accordingly.

Don't think I would ever do year-round tree but the year-round lights is something I've considered.
It's already too late. My wife divined what I was typing in the earlier post and now I'm hanging our turkey stockings by the gravy mantle.

Mrs. O traditionally sets up the tree on Veterans Day, BUT she doesn’t light it until Thanksgiving. She usually takes down the tree the week after New Years

Users who are viewing this thread