What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chiefs-Bears pre-season game (1 Viewer)

The Jacket

Footballguy
Nothing much to report so far. Two carries, 14 yards for LJ. Looks quick. Line blocking well, surprisingly.

Anyone else watching?

LJ buried for a six-yard loss running behind backup LT Herb Taylor. Can't wait to see Branden Albert in action.

Croyle moving the Chiefs nicely, converting four out of four third downs so far. Looking at a variety of targets - Bowe, Charles, Cottam, Franklin. Some real nice passes, too.

Herb Taylor called for holding. Scrub backup getting abused. Get healthy soon, Branden!

TOUCHDOWN KANSASSSSSS CITYYYYYY. TOUCHDOWN LARRY JOHNSON!

Heck of an opening drive for the Chiefs. Real nice.

16 plays, 81 yards, TD by Larry Johnson.

Croyle looked good on that drive, made some plays with his feet, and hit Franklin with a gun...

Forte gettin alot of work on that drive. Had a nice run in there, squeezed thru a small hole up the gut.

Forte looks good running the ball. I'm not sure what to think about that since the Chiefs were so bad against the run in 2007.

Only thing that I saw negative on Forte was that he missed a block on a blitz. Didn't have any effect because it was a three step drop and the QB wasn't hit.

But the coaches will certainly see it on the film.

I see no stats for Greg Olsen. Did he do anything at all of note? Was he not utilized? Saw Clark got a little action, but nothing for the boy from Miami.

Would like to see more of this Caleb Hanie. He looked pretty good, his wrs didn't do him any favors by dropping the ball. Yeah, I realize it was against 3rd/4th stringers but give the guy a chance...I need more hope besides Grossman/Orton.

Would like to see more of this Caleb Hanie. He looked pretty good, his wrs didn't do him any favors by dropping the ball. Yeah, I realize it was against 3rd/4th stringers but give the guy a chance...I need more hope besides Grossman/Orton.
If I recall correctly, Kiper Jr. LOVES Caleb Hanie. Take that for what it's worth...

Matt Forte is a player.
This guy knows things...I one thing I got from watching the first half of this game is that Forte could be way under rated in PPR right now. He hauled in three passes and almost made another great catch in basicaly one qtr worth of work. I'm not going to miss the next bears preseason game, this could be a SOD in the making.

Caleb Hanie looked outstanding. He showed great pocket presence and make great throws on the move. He really, really impressed me. He clearly outshined Rex and Kyle. I better not have to put up with another year of "Rex is our quarterback". If Hanie can be consistent the rest of preseason, there's no reason he shouldn't be starting Week 1. It is a "open" competition at QB right?

As a Bears homer, I wanted to strangle Turner when he called a run on 3rd and 8 inside the redzone when Hanie had already thrown one TD pass. Give the guy a shot to perform. He looked solid. I have absolutely no complaints about the way he played.

Caleb Hanie looked outstanding. He showed great pocket presence and make great throws on the move. He really, really impressed me. He clearly outshined Rex and Kyle. I better not have to put up with another year of "Rex is our quarterback". If Hanie can be consistent the rest of preseason, there's no reason he shouldn't be starting Week 1. It is a "open" competition at QB right?
Well it's open between Orton and Grossman. It may sound obvious but the only person that is going to start ahead of Grossman, at least the first half of the season, is Orton. Hanie looked good but throwing a rookie QB (unless it was some 1st round stud) behind that line isn't something Lovie is going to do.

Bears are just awful. Offense, defense, starters, backups, whatever.
First pre-season game, guy.
Bump this in December. Nothing's going to change. The Bears are freaking awful. The supposed bright spot and savior, Forte looked okay, but he still only managed 3.5ypc against a defense without two of its LBers and likely their best D-lineman/run defender. Is it the O-line's fault? Maybe. And that problem isn't going to get a whole lot better.Top-five pick for Chicago. Only question is which QB will rise up the boards and be worthy?

I posted this in another thread about the Bears oline

Well color me unimpressed with last night's showing. I spent the first quarter wondering where the defense was? They couldn't make plays and get off the field. Our secondary looked slow, no pass rush, and our dline got pushed around.

On the offense, I decided to only watch the front five. One word: slow. Tait looked like he couldn't get out of his stance quick enough. Beekman starting at RG, looked like a runt. Olin was Olin, good, but had to make up for the lack of other quality lineman. St.Clair is, well, a backup. Very disappointing.

Forte is big and I didn't realize it. He's going to be solid in PPR leagues, because he will get dump offs. He ran well, but didn't have much real estate to run over. Lloyd and Davis started at WR, with Lloyd looking good and quick. It appears that a good portion of the offense will be run through Forte and Olsen. Olsen lined up as a fullback and had a nice block on a LB.

Overall, this is an average team.

Oh and Hester did not return any kickoffs last night. I wasn't sure if it's because it's preseason or if they are concerned about him returning a kick then playing offense.

6 for 16 and a td isn't exactly building confidence in LJ. I am going to be watching this guy's numbers all pre-season.

Haven't watched the game yet, but everything sounds about as bleak as it can get. Now that we know Williams is out for a long time (possibly the entire season) I really couldn't get more pessimistic in my outlook. The whole year is lost. They are talking about bringing back Fred Miller who we cut in the offseason. Angelo, if you're listening, this is why you don't draft lineman with pre-existing back problems, especially when there are not one but two equally rated o-lineman on the board. IDIOT!!! It's also why you draft more than one o-lineman when your entire line needs to be completely rebuilt.

My only hope for this season is that they don't start Forte or Hanie. There is no point letting either of those guys get murdered behind what will likely be the worst o-line in the league.

I thought LJ looked great, he looks 100% and Croyle looked a lot better than I remember him being. That being said neither of those things really matter because the line looked awful. LJ was frequently making moves in the backfield to avoid losses and Croyle had to settle for dumpoffs constantly. Maybe the Bears defense is back to form, but more likely the Chiefs need Albert to be healthy or it will be a long season.

anyone have a link to the game or a link to garrett wolfe or caleb hanie highlights? i missed the game and would like to see the caleb stuff & wolfe's 42 yd run but nfl.com highlights show neither ... :unsure:

The Bears D always look bland in the pre-season, and as long as Mike Brown is healthy, I am almost certain they will extrememly tough to score upon.

Croyle looked solid, LJ as good as ever, didn't see much Bowe action...liked what I saw out of Charles(#25)...

Forte will be as good as his line/QB allows, he has what it takes talent-wise to put up numbers, but time will tell...

I think Forte will make the best out of an incredibly bad situation this year, and if he can eek out 4 ypc behind that line I will consider it a monstrous achievement. But realistically, I think we're talking about something in the neighborhood of 200 carries for about 800-something yards and single digit TDs. He might get about 1050 total yards.

anyone have a link to the game or a link to garrett wolfe or caleb hanie highlights? i missed the game and would like to see the caleb stuff & wolfe's 42 yd run but nfl.com highlights show neither ... :(
Thanks for the link. Hanie shows some promise with a number of those throws. If Monk and Bennett don't drop those passes on the final drive, Hanie might just have led them to the touchdown there. Hanie also showed good mobility, though he really needs to learn to either get out of bounds or slide. All in all, not a bad night for the rookie. The o-line looked bad as expected, however. There was plenty of pressure on the QB in that video.

Users who are viewing this thread