What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chicago guys (1 Viewer)

Drunken knight

Footballguy
Mrs is traveling to Chicago for work next week.

a bayless restaurant is high for her.

what are your top 5 must tries (all tiers welcome)?

You don’t even have to get out of O’Hare before hitting your first Bayless stop, Tortas Frontera. Always stop there on my way in or out.

I think I have only been to Bayless’ Topolobampo in downtown Chicago. From what I remember, it was excellent.

Would also suggest Portillo’s for a Chicago-style hot dog, Italian Beef and/or a chocolate cake shake (they literally blend in a whole piece of chocolate cake into the shake).

Tons of great pizza places. I’m more of a fan of tavern-style pizza versus deep dish, but that’s your call. 

Was there 2 weeks ago.  Not sure what your wife likes to do but we had a great time at Federales Tequila Bar. High energy, good Mexican food. do tequilia shots out of ice shot glasses and throw them in fireplace.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll start the pizza wars, and put my vote in for Lou Malnati's.

Anyone who recommends Giordano's likes pizza soup.

Lou Malnati's is one of the things on a very short list that I miss about living in Chicago.

I am not from there - but we went up there and I was in the same situation as you all

we love Asian, steak, and miscellaneous ethnic cuisines

we found there were so many great places - you had to pick the times you had open (lunch vs dinner) and the mix of practical vs higher priced you want

Asian - Vietnamese, Indian, Korean, Korean BBQ, Middle Eastern, dim sum place

Steakhouse

Pizza

General High Class Joint that a Pure Steakhouse

Well Known - "Cool" destination place 

let me know maybe what you guys are looking at - and I can pass along some of my research 

@krista4 is a prior long term resident - she had some great recommendations as well

I am not from there - but we went up there and I was in the same situation as you all

we love Asian, steak, and miscellaneous ethnic cuisines

we found there were so many great places - you had to pick the times you had open (lunch vs dinner) and the mix of practical vs higher priced you want

Asian - Vietnamese, Indian, Korean, Korean BBQ, Middle Eastern, dim sum place

Steakhouse

Pizza

General High Class Joint that a Pure Steakhouse

Well Known - "Cool" destination place 

let me know maybe what you guys are looking at - and I can pass along some of my research 

@krista4 is a prior long term resident - she had some great recommendations as well
I am from San Francisco and we live in Sonoma county.  She is not targeting any particular cuisine, rather seeking places that epitomize Chicago, or provide something we couldn’t find elsewhere.  Let’s not go crazy.. 3-5 of your favorites.

I am from San Francisco and we live in Sonoma county.  She is not targeting any particular cuisine, rather seeking places that epitomize Chicago, or provide something we couldn’t find elsewhere.  Let’s not go crazy.. 3-5 of your favorites.

you did the right thing though - I mean, the FBGs that are from there are the best source, but it all depends on what you're looking for - we were only there for 4 days - but I had a good time researching

@krista gave me a really cool brunch place (I'll have to look it up - and will) but we didn't have time to do lunch/brunch - wish we did

I mean ...I am a solid thin crust pizza guy and almost had my wife and daughter ready to take a one way $40 uber for Vito & Nicks for a $25 pizza - LOL

we ended up with a 4 minutes walk to a Giordano's ...they loved it.  I hear more Lou Malnati's recommendations but it was a more logistical decision

Was there visiting my kid a couple weeks ago. The Girl & the Goat by frequent Top Chef guest star (and former contestant) Stephanie Izzard was fantastic. Don't know about getting reservations on short notice but you can also come is and eat at the bar without reservations.

Binky The Doormat said:
you did the right thing though - I mean, the FBGs that are from there are the best source, but it all depends on what you're looking for - we were only there for 4 days - but I had a good time researching

@krista gave me a really cool brunch place (I'll have to look it up - and will) but we didn't have time to do lunch/brunch - wish we did

I mean ...I am a solid thin crust pizza guy and almost had my wife and daughter ready to take a one way $40 uber for Vito & Nicks for a $25 pizza - LOL

we ended up with a 4 minutes walk to a Giordano's ...they loved it.  I hear more Lou Malnati's recommendations but it was a more logistical decision

the breakfast place @krista4 recommended was Ann Sathers.

I've read cool things about the The Girl & Goat and have seen it featured on a couple of different food shows.

Best Breakfast is The Bongo Room.  I'll die on this hill.

Here's a sneak peak of the sweet side of the menu.

White Chocolate & Caramel Pretzel Pancakes - plain pancakes topped with crush salted pretzels and topped with warm white chocolate cream and buttery caramel swirl

Cherry & Almond Cream Pancakes - 3 fluffy plain pancakes with dried cherries and topped with warm almond panna cotta cream and cherry coulis

Banana Butterfinger Pancakes - 3 banana pancakes with crushed butterfinger bits and topped with warm praline cream sauce and fresh bananas

Strawberry Tiramisu Hotcakes - 3 fluffy pancakes with crushed ladyfinger cookies, strawberry-marsala-mascarpone mousse, fresh sliced strawberries and strawberry coulis

Blackberry & Lemon Cream Brioche French Toast- egg dipped brioche bread topped with warm lemon cream sauce, blackberry coulis, fresh blackberries and brown sugar & gingersnap cookie streusel

Drunken knight said:
Mrs is traveling to Chicago for work next week.

a bayless restaurant is high for her.

what are your top 5 must tries (all tiers welcome)?
What does this mean?

Bongo Room is the best.  I don't know if it's the same as when I lived around the corner, but it used to regularly be 2+-hour waits.  Better on a weekday, but still a wait.

I gave Ann Sather's to Binky because he was staying up by Loyola.
90% of my visits to BR was in Wicker Park (I used to live right around the corner as well when this was the only location). Yes, the waits here in the past were pretty ridiculous.

I've gone to the south loop one a few times.

Bongo Room is the best.  I don't know if it's the same as when I lived around the corner, but it used to regularly be 2+-hour waits.  Better on a weekday, but still a wait.

I gave Ann Sather's to Binky because he was staying up by Loyola.
Yep.  Bongo Room is the best.  Ann Sather is fine — actually good — if you are on the north side.  

Heading to Chicago this weekend, so this is timely and I've taken notes on restaurants.  I have a small hijack question - we're heading to The Riviera Theater on Broadway in Uptown and it looks like the metro station is shut down there, leading us to have to walk a bit from Argyle or Wilson station to get to the place.  Safe area or should I Uber it?

Heading to Chicago this weekend, so this is timely and I've taken notes on restaurants.  I have a small hijack question - we're heading to The Riviera Theater on Broadway in Uptown and it looks like the metro station is shut down there, leading us to have to walk a bit from Argyle or Wilson station to get to the place.  Safe area or should I Uber it?
Usually northside of town is 100% fine, but that neighborhood is occasionally iffy.   But, that 2 block walk from the Red Line Wilson street to the Riv will be fine.  I'd be more worried about what your Uber driver would do if you booked a 2 block uber ride. 

Usually northside of town is 100% fine, but that neighborhood is occasionally iffy.   But, that 2 block walk from the Red Line Wilson street to the Riv will be fine.  I'd be more worried about what your Uber driver would do if you booked a 2 block uber ride. 
:lmao:

I was thinking metro the whole way or Uber the whole way (from downtown, so not 2 blocks).  Thanks for the info.  We'll do the walk.

I would Uber it.

Who are you seeing, Midnight Oil?

if you don’t know the area, Uber. It should be safe, but it’s a different world now.

High end highly recommended restaurants (by me lol).  All near the Mag Mile.

Adalina—Italian (New and awesome)
Maple & Ash—steak
Chicago Cut—Steak 
RPM Italia—Italian
RPM Steak

High end highly recommended restaurants (by me lol).  All near the Mag Mile.

Adalina—Italian (New and awesome)
Maple & Ash—steak
Chicago Cut—Steak 
RPM Italia—Italian
RPM Steak

My best friend's wife and her FIL arrive on Friday and are eating at Adalina that night.  Before any snappy remarks, they are checking the MIL into a care facility in the city so please let's keep the comments clean.

Hells to the yes.  This is their final tour.  No way I'm missing it.  Chicago, Philly, DC.

We'll probably Uber it.  It'll be faster, anyway.
If I was staying downtown, I'd probably attempt to Uber unless I was staying right next to a Red Line stop.  As long as Uber isn't $50 each way, I'd take that.  It will be faster/easier simply scooting up Lake Shore Drive.  

If I was staying downtown, I'd probably attempt to Uber unless I was staying right next to a Red Line stop.  As long as Uber isn't $50 each way, I'd take that.  It will be faster/easier simply scooting up Lake Shore Drive.  
We're on the magnificent mile (emptied the points account), so a few blocks off the red line.  And it may rain, which is a definite Uber.  

bumping this...

we (myself, wife and kids aged 15, 9 and 9) are going for St Patrick's parade and I'm not sure how it will work. do we need to bring chairs/etc? where do we park or recommend public transportation (staying in river north area)?

besides the usual tourists things, any recommendations given our age group? will be there for 5 full days. we already got the city pass.

I am from San Francisco and we live in Sonoma county. She is not targeting any particular cuisine, rather seeking places that epitomize Chicago, or provide something we couldn’t find elsewhere. Let’s not go crazy.. 3-5 of your favorites.

we ended up with a 4 minutes walk to a Giordano's ...they loved it. I hear more Lou Malnati's recommendations but it was a more logistical decision
Flo and Santos is a good Chicago tavern pie, not as good as Vito and Nicks but good.

bumping this...

we (myself, wife and kids aged 15, 9 and 9) are going for St Patrick's parade and I'm not sure how it will work. do we need to bring chairs/etc? where do we park or recommend public transportation (staying in river north area)?

besides the usual tourists things, any recommendations given our age group? will be there for 5 full days. we already got the city pass.
Where are you going for the parade? Hopefully you've targeted the South Side parade in Beverly, it's the best in the city.

bumping this...

Where are you going for the parade? Hopefully you've targeted the South Side parade in Beverly, it's the best in the city.
uh... didn't realize there were multiple options. lol

we had planned to attend this one

bumping this...

uh... didn't realize there were multiple options. lol

we had planned to attend this one

It's good but the South Side one is the best.

Users who are viewing this thread