What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charter Schools (1 Viewer)

But in that situation, its still better than the local failing school, right?

I mean, I'm not trying to waive the flag for charter schools. I just know there are a fair number of bad schools in the country and it'd be nice to fix that. And I don't think NCC's original point that profit and education are antithetical is necessarily true. It seems to me that the profit motive can be useful in creating better schools. And I haven't really been convinced otherwise yet by the arguments in this thread (though I am very open to being wrong - I'm not an expert on the subject). 
it's better, until that charter school closes after a year or two... which appears to happen too much.

yeah- I'm naive about this stuff too. I'd like to think that if a school is making money, that means that the kids are truly learning... which is my definition of a successful school. but I don't know that the criteria for making money is about that- putting kids in seats, doesn't necessarily mean success... so I'm dubious. still very interested in hearing more.

I didn't mean to use the Catholic schools as the be all end all example. It just seems to me there are plenty of private schools who dictate the education and discipline they provide. And they get students because they provide that quality education and discipline. 

I mean, Cranbrook and Country Day aren't getting $30k per year in tuition (or whatever it is) because they do whatever the customers want. They provide a fantastic product and that's why they can charge such a tuition. 

I don't really see how this wouldn't apply to charter schools also. The best way for those schools to make more money is to have a long list of kids who want to go there (or more specifically, parents who want to send their kids there). Providing a superior product seems the best way to do that.
There certainly are plenty of patents that want a rigorous education. There are several markets out there. The parents spending $30k on tuition are doing so as much for the education as they are for the fact that their kids will be with other families who are spending $30k on education. The schools are better schools because they have more affluent kids with more resources and very involved parents. That's the advantage charter schools have as well. They get the parents who care enough about education to try and seek something they perceive as better.  The families and students that are taken advantage of are lower SES and immigrants because they often aren't educated themselves. If you don't speak English well or don't have a high school diploma you will have a tough time understanding if your child is learning what they should be learning.

This stuff happens at lots of schools, not just charter. DPS is the main offender. However, it has created an environment of lowering the bar. We are reducing the credits required for graduation to compete with other schools because in the end no matter what you say about quality of education, parents want their kid to graduate on time and will leave to somewhere that can make that happen for them.

Doesn't matter anyway. Y'all want your kids to enjoy their educations now and there is very little connection between entertainment/empowerment and real education. Get em out of danger, if you can; to a school that enhances their college profile if you can and #### it. An education worth anything is monolithic, intimidating (grades 2-6 should be the rote equivalent of Joey Chestnut on July 4) and forever. nufced

whoknew:

It seems to me that the profit motive can be useful in creating better schools.
But has the "profit motive" really created better schools? Seems like most of the bad charter schools have ties to management companies motivated by profit. How many of the "good" charter schools were created from a profit motive?

Because as numerous studies point out the majority of charter schools perform at the same level as the public schools they are trying to replace. Or worse in an awful lot of cases.
But how does that prove that education and profit don't mix? 

Doesn't matter anyway. Y'all want your kids to enjoy their educations now and there is very little connection between entertainment/empowerment and real education. Get em out of danger, if you can; to a school that enhances their college profile if you can and #### it. An education worth anything is monolithic, intimidating (grades 2-6 should be the rote equivalent of Joey Chestnut on July 4) and forever. nufced
not sure what you mean by "real education".

my goal for my kids in k-5 is to get that core, 3 Rs (amazing what a taboo phrase 3Rs is now), under their belts... but mostly to ensure that they enjoy learning; to set up a situation for them where they are excited and interested by school and what they can learn. IMO, if we can get through 5th with that strongly in place... their more autonomous 6th-12 and on into college/life will be fine. as such, rote stuff may or may not work for that (particularly the latter) - but I'll definitely have them stay clear of the spray zone.

not sure what you mean by "real education".

my goal for my kids in k-5 is to get that core, 3 Rs (amazing what a taboo phrase 3Rs is now), under their belts... but mostly to ensure that they enjoy learning; to set up a situation for them where they are excited and interested by school and what they can learn. IMO, if we can get through 5th with that strongly in place... their more autonomous 6th-12 and on into college/life will be fine. as such, rote stuff may or may not work for that (particularly the latter) - but I'll definitely have them stay clear of the spray zone.
K-2, wonder. 3-7 rote, 8-9 fiddle while hormones burn, 10-12 choose. Simple really. There's not a second of the learn-to-hunt years in a classroom, brain-development-wise, that should be anything but boot. The brain is simply a bucket during that period and leaving it less than full is a crime against humanity. And it's 5 Rs - remembering & reciting pretty much got forgot by the time I then you hit the chalkboards and brain science will one day find that they're the most important ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's better, until that charter school closes after a year or two... which appears to happen too much.

yeah- I'm naive about this stuff too. I'd like to think that if a school is making money, that means that the kids are truly learning... which is my definition of a successful school. but I don't know that the criteria for making money is about that- putting kids in seats, doesn't necessarily mean success... so I'm dubious. still very interested in hearing more.
I don't see the problem with for-profit charters, non-profit charters, public schools, or private schools.  What a for-profit charter pays out to investors can be more or less than a public school district absorbs in bureaucracy.  It makes no difference.  There are good and bad examples in each category. 

You don't get charter schools in areas with good public schools.  They come in where the public system is entrenched and perceived to have failed by local families.  In many cases, it's their only option to try to give their kids a better education.

It isn't always going to work, but at least there are families sticking around in the neighborhood.  If those families all left for better public school districts the entire neighborhood would decline.

Monopolies aren't healthy, public or private.

I made it 1:38 seconds in, to the point where he was making fun of somebody named Pit Bull (???).  Having watched a few of these, I've become convinced that John Oliver isn't worth it.
I lean Conservative and think he's hysterical. Don't always agree with him but I applaud the effort and I typically chuckle and laugh a lot. And sometimes I want to choke him thru the TV. He's entertaining if nothing else. 

sorry, mop- I actually am interested in this and don't want the thread to devolve (too much).

NYC has Success Academies, which has been very... successful here. it's a franchise at this point, I think starting up in harlem. they opened one up relatively near us in the last couple of years, so we checked it out. 

the pros are that they've gained traction, so don't appear to be disappearing any time soon. they're well funded, and they also get kids testing well... which I guess leads to more funding. 

their method didn't jibe with what we wanted out of the education of our kids. test scores appear to be the end-all here, so the kids start prepping from day 1. Uniforms are enforced, and kids are publicly called out for not keeping up (or even answering not knowing the answers to questions)... it felt almost militaristic, and not a place to encourage creativity, or excitement about learning. teachers don't have to be accredited either...

but regardless of all of that... I still like/appreciate the concept of charter schools. if the DOE schools in your area aren't working, I'm all for somebody pushing an alternative out there... but it appears that greater oversight and preparation is needed so that schools don't flame out and that the best suit the needs of the neighborhoods they're serving. and the latter is something that seems- intuitively at least- to need flexibility and constant massaging to find the right balance.
I wear a similar uniform the kids do. Mostly polo shirt with school logo. 

MOP, some charter schools in Miami are good - the Mater Academy schools, for example. I know several parents and kids who have great things to say about those located in the Hialeah, Miami Lakes and Miami Beach areas. I've had a few good Mater graduates in the math classes I teach at the local community college. In some locations, the charter schools have filled the middle school/high school gap; areas with good public elementary schools but poor public middle and high schools. It's allowed many parents in those area to stay put, instead of having to relocate to a better school district. OTOH, there is a brain brain from some public schools to good charter schools. When my daughters were in the public school system about 10 years ago, public magnet schools were the rage.
That's the one I worked for when I started-Miami Beach and had 48 in a classroom. They get results because they have a strong Principal there, I was lucky in that sense. 

But believe me they make money hand over fist and Pit Bull created or financed the SLAM Academy. It's been very popular and students speak highly of it. My anger is aimed at CSUSA, they are one of the worst. 

Mater is run by Univ of Miami graduates, that's one of the main reasons I got the job, they love alumni and are always recruiting. 

I have 2 issues I have with making schools compete for students like businesses compete for customers:

1. They have to spend money marketing. The school I work at has had to cut back on some resources to replace it with marking to convince the current families we are worth sticking with and convince new families to attend our school. As a teacher, I can name 100 ways that money could be better spent. 

2. "The customer is always right." Now that students and parents become customers, they can leave for another school any moment they want and have a dozen other options. The schools have no real power to enforce rules or put forth high standards of education. We get students from charter schools that have very low basic skills, but their report cards are all As and Bs. This last year we literally received a junior transfer limited English who had a hearing impairment, speech impairment and an IQ of 72 who came to us with all his credits and a 2.0+GPA. The kid couldn't pass the 4th grade, but his charter school passed him in every single class. We get kids like this and then they struggle at our school. Many of the parents blame us for being too difficult and they leave for another school. If a school wants to do well, they will have very soft rules, give into whatever demands the parents have and make sure everything is pretty easy so all the kids do well. Even if' it's not easy enough, just fake it. This is exactly what is happening in many schools. 

On the other hand, the school I work at is of a high quality and would not exist without the large amount of out of district students that have chosen to come to us. These kids are getting a better education than they would get in their home district. I'm not sure how much longer we can continue being academically rigorous, but we will try. This year we are having to move to allowing any kid the right to retake any test as many times as they want. We can debate whether that is a good idea or not, but it's happening and there aren't many staff members that support it. However, our district administration has said we have to do it to keep grades up and keep kids from leaving because one of the most often cited issues we have with why students choose other schools over ours is that those schools are easier and they get better grades. 
:goodposting:

Outstanding, agree with a lot here. I know I am lighting up the charter schools, truth is some or more than a few have made a major difference. But again, it's Florida and you can smell corruption in these places. Maybe in better moral sections of the country, the money is spent the right way. 

Almost? Way too much. The whole testing situation is a nightmare. However people like to have a number to point to and say, look "Thing A" is 5 points better than "Thing B" even if there is no science behind the process. I don't even want to think about the amount of money America has spent on testing over the last 10 years and how much more we could have gotten out of hiring more teachers or updating school technology. The truth is many at the State level still want more tests. The goal seems to be monthly testing which means all school will be is test prep. 
450 foot shot off the top deck. 

CMAs...Common Monthly Assessments...ugh!

The JO following is getting beyond trendy I've noticed; while a lot of his bits are very funny, his beyond loyal fans are a bit much.  A lot of acquaintances and people standing in line for whatever are repeating his ideas like trained seals.  I've gotten the vibe many don't even understand what they're talking about, and simply accept his stance as 100% correct, 100% of the time...because he's funny.

The JO following is getting beyond trendy I've noticed; while a lot of his bits are very funny, his beyond loyal fans are a bit much.  A lot of acquaintances and people standing in line for whatever are repeating his ideas like trained seals.  I've gotten the vibe many don't even understand what they're talking about, and simply accept his stance as 100% correct, 100% of the time...because he's funny.
He needs someone who think 180 to balance but then you have 2 people fighting and nothing good is discussed. 

With John Oliver, he has 30 minutes to voice his position with little to no opposition...this is great for GOPs because you get a much better understanding for how the other side thinks. 

-Every night O'Reilly comes thru the screen and announces the talking points for the GOP basically so you know exactly what is happening and how they are shaping the news and stories.

-With JO I finally feel like I have a talking points memo on what they truly want. A lot of it scary but at least you know what is happening and what their motives and end game are. 

:goodposting:

Outstanding, agree with a lot here. I know I am lighting up the charter schools, truth is some or more than a few have made a major difference. But again, it's Florida and you can smell corruption in these places. Maybe in better moral sections of the country, the money is spent the right way. 
Corruption is everywhere and there is plenty of it in public schools. Some of the public school corruption is stealing and that will always exist. No matter what line of work, public or private, there will be people who break the law for their own personal gain. There will always be teachers stealing from a class fundraiser or a principal accepting kickbacks from a educational publishing company or a tech director using school money to get iPads for his family. Those things happen in most profession because people are greedy.

The corruption of the education is my concern. When a school is for profit and ran by a board of business people, they are going to see it as a business. The point of a modern business is to make money. One of the key ways to being profitable is to reduce spending. The schools are going to spend the absolute least amount of money possible so that they can profit as much as possible. The best part is tax money is covering most of the money needed to start and run the school. As law makers add financial incentives or financial punishments to schools based on things like test scores and graduation rates, it pushes schools/teacher to do better. It also pushes  schools and teachers to game the system. Make classes easier, make kids take less classes, inflate grades or just flat out change grade/tests. As more and more schools start to do that, it puts pressure on their competitors (other area schools) to follow suit. 

Corruption is everywhere and there is plenty of it in public schools. Some of the public school corruption is stealing and that will always exist. No matter what line of work, public or private, there will be people who break the law for their own personal gain. There will always be teachers stealing from a class fundraiser or a principal accepting kickbacks from a educational publishing company or a tech director using school money to get iPads for his family. Those things happen in most profession because people are greedy.

The corruption of the education is my concern. When a school is for profit and ran by a board of business people, they are going to see it as a business. The point of a modern business is to make money. One of the key ways to being profitable is to reduce spending. The schools are going to spend the absolute least amount of money possible so that they can profit as much as possible. The best part is tax money is covering most of the money needed to start and run the school. As law makers add financial incentives or financial punishments to schools based on things like test scores and graduation rates, it pushes schools/teacher to do better. It also pushes  schools and teachers to game the system. Make classes easier, make kids take less classes, inflate grades or just flat out change grade/tests. As more and more schools start to do that, it puts pressure on their competitors (other area schools) to follow suit. 
That's terrible...

:whistle:

Does "charter school" mean the same thing all over the country? For instance, all the charter schools around here, so far as I'm aware, are non-profits. They also cede a lot of control to the local parish school systems - for instance, they must follow the parish school calendar for days off, holidays, etc. On most serious school-related issues, charter school parents can appeal directly to the local school boards and the local school boards are fully authorized to act and make things happen (presumably by threats to pull charters).

Really, all "charter school" means around here is "public school in which the parish has subcontracted the school's day-to-day operation". Charters can add to the state's public school curriculum, but cannot come up with their very own curricula from whole cloth.

Does "charter school" mean the same thing all over the country? For instance, all the charter schools around here, so far as I'm aware, are non-profits. They also cede a lot of control to the local parish school systems - for instance, they must follow the parish school calendar for days off, holidays, etc. On most serious school-related issues, charter school parents can appeal directly to the local school boards and the local school boards are fully authorized to act and make things happen (presumably by threats to pull charters).

Really, all "charter school" means around here is "public school in which the parish has subcontracted the school's day-to-day operation". Charters can add to the state's public school curriculum, but cannot come up with their very own curricula from whole cloth.
No, maybe New Orleans is different.  Charter schools in most places have the autonomy to have different curricula, different school schedules, etc. In D.C., for example, the regular school board doesn't even oversee charter schools, there is a completely separate Charter School Board that authorizes and monitors charter schools.

fatguyinalittlecoat said:
No, maybe New Orleans is different.  Charter schools in most places have the autonomy to have different curricula, different school schedules, etc. In D.C., for example, the regular school board doesn't even oversee charter schools, there is a completely separate Charter School Board that authorizes and monitors charter schools.

NOLA charters are different because they have become the de facto school district for the community. Charters elsewhere have wide discretion as to their rules and obligations. In NYC, for example, some charters are running almost all year programs. The teachers hired have to work crazy hours (nights, weekends, etc) to support those schools. With other charters, they have may waivers on state tests (3 years is common), which is fine with established charters, but new ones - with no experience in running a school? - are effectively rolling the dice with a child's education. In some districts, like Chicago, charters are thriving because it allows districts to layoff employees (including teachers) and simply shift the financial burden to educate children to another provider. It frees the district up on some level. 

Personally, I like the concept of charters. It allows a wider variety of educational opportunities/environments to students on some level than traditional schools. That said, I would be incredibly skeptical of any for-profit charter operator in any district because the missions are not aligned. For-profit providers are trying to squeeze every dollar out of the students enrolled. At the end of the day, they are concerned with the bottom line instead of educating children.

NOLA charters are different because they have become the de facto school district for the community. Charters elsewhere have wide discretion as to their rules and obligations. In NYC, for example, some charters are running almost all year programs. The teachers hired have to work crazy hours (nights, weekends, etc) to support those schools. With other charters, they have may waivers on state tests (3 years is common), which is fine with established charters, but new ones - with no experience in running a school? - are effectively rolling the dice with a child's education. In some districts, like Chicago, charters are thriving because it allows districts to layoff employees (including teachers) and simply shift the financial burden to educate children to another provider. It frees the district up on some level. 

Personally, I like the concept of charters. It allows a wider variety of educational opportunities/environments to students on some level than traditional schools. That said, I would be incredibly skeptical of any for-profit charter operator in any district because the missions are not aligned. For-profit providers are trying to squeeze every dollar out of the students enrolled. At the end of the day, they are concerned with the bottom line instead of educating children.
prove it. 

signed,

whoknew

The charter school in my city is on the verge of getting shut down.  They have been embezzling money, and are now facing child abuse charges.

an interesting development with charters here in Chicago is the unionization of teachers within them. we almost had the 2nd largest charter operator here deal with striking teachers over collective bargaining and unions forming.

an interesting development with charters here in Chicago is the unionization of teachers within them. we almost had the 2nd largest charter operator here deal with striking teachers over collective bargaining and unions forming.
Interesting.  I do know one of the issues in some Charters is teachers pay.  While you'd prefer the market work that out, especially early on with Charters, there's just not enough competition.  

That said, there's certainly a right for folks to unionize in private business.  Ideally, management and their workforce find the right balance that works in everyone's favor... but that's hardly something all (many?) businesses find. 

Interesting.  I do know one of the issues in some Charters is teachers pay.  While you'd prefer the market work that out, especially early on with Charters, there's just not enough competition.  

That said, there's certainly a right for folks to unionize in private business.  Ideally, management and their workforce find the right balance that works in everyone's favor... but that's hardly something all (many?) businesses find. 

Slate story about how charters are fighting against unionization in some cases. 

Sadly, not unexpected. Business will be business.  Some, as an ethos, do things the right way. Some don't see right vs wrong. Others just don't care. Worse still, some purposely dance on the side of shady as a practice to gain their competitive advantage. 

That's why you need appropriate regulations that allow the market to work its magic but within some bounds by which to avoid major disruptive issues and ensure fair play. 

So, don't let these bull#### tactics go on, properly regulate the industry, and let the market do its thing.

wazoo11 said:
Interesting...thanks. 

Its a really tough subject. I freely admit that my wife is a public school teacher, and yes, she makes a good living along with benefits that goes with a NYS teaching position. So while I am not opposed to alternative solutions to education, I am worried as to what it would do to the traditional public schools and their staff. Yes, education is paramount, but I think that many public schools are getting raw deals intentionally to make charters look better b/c there are investors behind the scenes looking to scoop up very profitable opportunities if and when charters become mainstream. And in the end, the teachers will be purged and replaced with lesser paid, or lesser quality ones. 

We are in a predominantly middle class area, but we are being stressed by many issues—undocumented families, state tests, required additional services—all of which are putting the teachers and teachers union on the defensive. However, as much as I love my wife, I am afraid that the teacher union and much of the teacher mentality is going to end up shooting themselves in the foot. In many cases, they are out f touch with what the private sector workers are experiencing and the harder they fight for their traditional ways of working, the sooner the general public will turn on them. In many cases they already have. 

Its gonna be a tense next few years. My wife has 15 years left and I'm afraid we are going to see a huge education revolution before she can retire. 

Interesting...thanks. 

Its a really tough subject. I freely admit that my wife is a public school teacher, and yes, she makes a good living along with benefits that goes with a NYS teaching position. So while I am not opposed to alternative solutions to education, I am worried as to what it would do to the traditional public schools and their staff. Yes, education is paramount, but I think that many public schools are getting raw deals intentionally to make charters look better b/c there are investors behind the scenes looking to scoop up very profitable opportunities if and when charters become mainstream. And in the end, the teachers will be purged and replaced with lesser paid, or lesser quality ones. 

We are in a predominantly middle class area, but we are being stressed by many issues—undocumented families, state tests, required additional services—all of which are putting the teachers and teachers union on the defensive. However, as much as I love my wife, I am afraid that the teacher union and much of the teacher mentality is going to end up shooting themselves in the foot. In many cases, they are out f touch with what the private sector workers are experiencing and the harder they fight for their traditional ways of working, the sooner the general public will turn on them. In many cases they already have. 

Its gonna be a tense next few years. My wife has 15 years left and I'm afraid we are going to see a huge education revolution before she can retire. 
We talked about Hempstead Schools before... quite literally, if you live in Hempstead Village (which means a high chance of poverty, or at best limited economic means), a place where they recently had a 30% graduation rate, your ONLY choice as a parent is parochial/private school for which you likely don't have the money or the Charter school.  

There are some really ####ty Charter schools. Abuse or abdication of authority, sketchy finances... but when they work, they can literally be the only real chance at a decent education for children who's worst mistake was being born into the wrong neighborhood.  

Considering the abject failure of urban public schools, why further harm these communities by preventing additional options and resources, when you know they can be a great benefit if done right.  And you can create the right framework to get it close enough to right as compared to the terrible and proven alternative.

I think it really depends on the charter.  We looked at 4 in my area for my kid (kindergarten this year).  We thought two were terrible and two were good.  The one we decided on is a K-12 classical school that absolutely does not teach to the tests.  Up until 4th grade, their test scores absolutely suck compared to the rest of the district.  However, the kids get a rock solid foundation and right about 4th grade they catch up/pass the other schools.  Their high school scores (9th grade and up) are top in the district and because they are a fairly new school (this is their 6th year), they've had only had 2 graduating classes but the average scholarship thus far is just under $75k/kid.

There are a few peculiar things about this school that could be pros/cons depending on how you looked at it:

• Every grady except kindergarten is departmentalized.  (e.g. there is no "first grade" teacher.  The elementary school kids stay in a classroom and the teachers rotate.  They have a math teacher teach math and then she leaves and the science teacher comes in).
  • The teachers are NOT people who have degrees in education.  The science teachers have science degrees, the math teachers have math degrees, etc.  Each department has someone with an education degree dedicated to two grade levels (e.g. Science 1st and 3rd, Literacy 1st and 3rd, etc..) that will help create lesson plans, go over IEPs, help with individualized interventions, etc.
  • Each class has a classroom coordinator who is there to provide behavior management and individualized help if a student needs it.
  • The teachers are paid slightly less than their peers at the public schools in the district but have a condensed school year and work about two weeks less per year.
  • There's no specific uniform but there is a dress code.  Essentially khaki's and a button up shirt or sweater for boys and the same for girls except they can have skirts in addition to pants.
  • Kids learn the classics.  My kindergartner is already learning foreign languages (and will have been taught spanish, french, greek, and latin by the time he graduates) and about people like Kandinsky and Homer (just basic things like "Kandinsky is the father of abstract art, here's a basic definition of what abstract art is, lets make some").
  • Until this year they didn't have a hot lunch program.  They would have sack lunches available for purchase but since they were so small it just didn't make sense to pay for hot lunch.
  • Special education functions are lacking in all areas except literacy.  If your kid is behind in literacy, they have one of the best literacy intervention programs in the state but if your kid needs help essentially anywhere else, they suck.

Forgot to add one thing.  I don't know how it works in other states but in Colorado, charters have to pay for their own buildings.  They get the same amount per student as the public schools but the school my kid goes to pays something like 50k/month on their lease.  The public schools here don't have to factor facilities into their budgets.

I just don't see why it would not be beneficial to allow more choice through transparent and regulated free market options.  Again, people will protect "public education" - and that's something I strongly support, as the alternative in the current system is just not funding it, which is worse than funding it poorly and inefficiently - however isn't the real objective to educate the  kids?

Understanding it's far from a perfect world, in the hypothetical one, is your goal to have a big government run system of schools or to have well educated kids?  In some places, those generally with high real estate values, the former can work.  In more dense urban areas, at least for the time being, the gov't system is a complete waste of money and a failure. Just give the choice, quite literally, for the children.

I just don't see why it would not be beneficial to allow more choice through transparent and regulated free market options.  Again, people will protect "public education" - and that's something I strongly support, as the alternative in the current system is just not funding it, which is worse than funding it poorly and inefficiently - however isn't the real objective to educate the  kids?

Understanding it's far from a perfect world, in the hypothetical one, is your goal to have a big government run system of schools or to have well educated kids?  In some places, those generally with high real estate values, the former can work.  In more dense urban areas, at least for the time being, the gov't system is a complete waste of money and a failure. Just give the choice, quite literally, for the children.
I'm all for the "x amount of $ per kid", let the schools compete for the students/money philosophy.

We talked about Hempstead Schools before... quite literally, if you live in Hempstead Village (which means a high chance of poverty, or at best limited economic means), a place where they recently had a 30% graduation rate, your ONLY choice as a parent is parochial/private school for which you likely don't have the money or the Charter school.  

There are some really ####ty Charter schools. Abuse or abdication of authority, sketchy finances... but when they work, they can literally be the only real chance at a decent education for children who's worst mistake was being born into the wrong neighborhood.  

Considering the abject failure of urban public schools, why further harm these communities by preventing additional options and resources, when you know they can be a great benefit if done right.  And you can create the right framework to get it close enough to right as compared to the terrible and proven alternative.
Yes...but how much of the failure of Hempstead schools has the utterly corrupt board? I don't know first hand but wasn't the lady who headed it taking school funds for cars and vacations and other illegal activity? And she kept on getting voted in? (again, I don't know 100% of the specifics) 

And while I understand what you are saying, I also feel very strongly that there is only so much a school can do. Too often lately we are expecting our teachers to be teachers and parents, but not disciplinarians, and thats simply not sustainable. Sep in places like hempstead where the poverty rates are so high, but your politicians are looking for the schools for solutions and results, where they should be focusing on the community. As i said, my wife is an elementary teacher, but all she can do is be a role model for the few hours that the students are with her. She can't make them go home and do their homework, she can't make the parents speak only english at home, she can't watch out for them after hours when they could be out getting in trouble. Likewise, the public school does not have the liberty to pick and choose what kids will be attending or not, they have to take anyone and everyone regardless of background. 

On the flip side, I hate the way the public school curriculum is organized today. I flourished under teachers who were able to express things differently or had unique was of teaching. I didn't fit into a standard curriculum. And I'm fortunate that i'm working in the field I am (graphic design) b/c I was allowed to explore and develop my talents and interests. There is where charter schools are more beneficial. 

I use to have Success Academy (A very large NYC Charter School) as a client, and I could see 1st hand the amount of marketing and manipulation that went into their application process. And Eva Moskowitz was paid a very, very hefty salary from the state funds that would make the average Public School Superintendent look like a pauper...but yet everyone is ready to come out with pitchforks and fire when Newsday publishes their teacher salary guide. 

Again, I am not opposed to alternative forms of ed...I agree (with your additional post after this one) that education is paramount and options are not bad. But in many cases, charters don't operate under the same constraints public schools do. Also, I think most public schools need to loose their whole volunteer board setup, that is made up of general parents who are really under qualified to handle the amounts of money a typical public school requires.   

And lastly, here is my general look at the failure of what the state is imposing on teacher evaluations through the standard tests. You take a school like Hempstead and all of its socioeconomic issues. Those same students are taking the exact same test as those from say Dix Hills where the the median income is way higher and parents can afford private tutoring and other extra help. Which students do you think will score better? So by the states logic, the Hempstead teachers are substandard and will eventually be fired while the teachers in Dix Hills will have to work less hard and keep their jobs. So when a good teacher, I mean a really really good teacher is looking to start their career, where do you think they will look to apply? Hempstead, where they desperately need great teachers, but will most likely be out of work in a few years, or Dix hills where they can have a nice long career teaching kids who already have higher means and income potential. 

The whole way the state is handling things is flawed and shortsighted IMO. And I can;t help but believe that there is reason to want certain schools to fail so that their politically connected investor friends can swoop in and eat off of the state education fund in the name of 'better education'

@Koya...I appreciate our discussions today in both threads, and the looks at opposite ends of the issue....high-five man. 

Not going to say our public education system is perfect, but I would rather have it as is than open the door to the free market.  It should be about the kids and their education, not making profits.  One thing a lot of people never mention about private schools is that they exclude a large part of the demographic that the public schools have to deal with.  I live in a nicer area that has good public schools and our charter school is a total disaster.  There are embezzlement, fraud and child abuse charges pending and they just fired a bunch of teachers who refused to come to work because they weren't getting paid, all while they are paying bonuses to new teachers they are hiring.  One of my good friends has their twins enrolled there and they are on their third teacher because they either get laid off or quit.  Say what you want about teacher unions, but the last thing you want is your child's teacher quitting mid-year.

My wife teaches elementary and gets more and more responsibilities dumped on her every year, while her take-home pay has actually decreased each of the last 5 years because of rising health care costs.  She works her ### off all day and then has to come home to hours of grading work and answering parent emails.  Out of her entire school she says there is one older teacher who is not the greatest teacher, but the rest of the staff is excellent, so this notion that we are awash in terrible teachers is nonsense.  Parents are detached, have no discipline, feed their kids junk food all day, yet have this expectation that the teacher is going to fix it all.

If looking to reduce waste the easy place to start (at least here in CA) is textbook adoptions.  They make my wife furious.  The costs are outrageous, the textbooks are total crap (typos, errors, sentences that make no sense, etc) and 75% of the stuff ordered never gets used.  My wife's school has an entire room dedicated to workbooks, CDs, and extra textbooks that are never used, and they replace them for the new adoptions every few years.  My wife doesn't even use a textbook, but they require her to store copies of the textbooks in her classroom.

Not going to say our public education system is perfect, but I would rather have it as is than open the door to the free market.  It should be about the kids and their education, not making profits.  One thing a lot of people never mention about private schools is that they exclude a large part of the demographic that the public schools have to deal with.  I live in a nicer area that has good public schools and our charter school is a total disaster.  There are embezzlement, fraud and child abuse charges pending and they just fired a bunch of teachers who refused to come to work because they weren't getting paid, all while they are paying bonuses to new teachers they are hiring.  One of my good friends has their twins enrolled there and they are on their third teacher because they either get laid off or quit.  Say what you want about teacher unions, but the last thing you want is your child's teacher quitting mid-year.

My wife teaches elementary and gets more and more responsibilities dumped on her every year, while her take-home pay has actually decreased each of the last 5 years because of rising health care costs.  She works her ### off all day and then has to come home to hours of grading work and answering parent emails.  Out of her entire school she says there is one older teacher who is not the greatest teacher, but the rest of the staff is excellent, so this notion that we are awash in terrible teachers is nonsense.  Parents are detached, have no discipline, feed their kids junk food all day, yet have this expectation that the teacher is going to fix it all.

If looking to reduce waste the easy place to start (at least here in CA) is textbook adoptions.  They make my wife furious.  The costs are outrageous, the textbooks are total crap (typos, errors, sentences that make no sense, etc) and 75% of the stuff ordered never gets used.  My wife's school has an entire room dedicated to workbooks, CDs, and extra textbooks that are never used, and they replace them for the new adoptions every few years.  My wife doesn't even use a textbook, but they require her to store copies of the textbooks in her classroom.
My daughter's school has a surprising amount of crappy teachers considering it's a highly regarded school.  The parents can simply overpower the ineptitude in some areas though.  Seems quite different than your wife's situation.

One difference in charter vs public is if both get $8k for a kid, the public school likely spends that whole almost the whole $8k on the school  (books, teachers, wifi, update rooms, etc). If a charter school gets $8k for a kid they have to find a way to not spend all of it on the school so that the owners can profit. 

One difference in charter vs public is if both get $8k for a kid, the public school likely spends that whole almost the whole $8k on the school  (books, teachers, wifi, update rooms, etc). If a charter school gets $8k for a kid they have to find a way to not spend all of it on the school so that the owners can profit. 
Many of them are non-profit and I imagine they run leaner on administration.

It's really up the parents.  If they prefer the charter over public then I'm willing to let them make that decision.  There is a lot of variation in public and charter school quality.  It has to be judged at a local level.

Many of them are non-profit and I imagine they run leaner on administration.

It's really up the parents.  If they prefer the charter over public then I'm willing to let them make that decision.  There is a lot of variation in public and charter school quality.  It has to be judged at a local level.
True. Michigan is dominated by for profits. Even non-profits tend to have very large executive salaries with the presidents making double or triple what a super intendent  makes while serving like 1% of the number of students. Teachers get crap pay, crap benefits. In 25 years, we won't have enough teachers to support the education system. Michigan which has always been a very lucrative place for teachers is struggling to meet demand in areas like math and science. The State Board of Ed has begun watering down standards for classes like physics and chemistry because they don't have enough teachers to teach it. 

Yes...but how much of the failure of Hempstead schools has the utterly corrupt board? I don't know first hand but wasn't the lady who headed it taking school funds for cars and vacations and other illegal activity? And she kept on getting voted in? (again, I don't know 100% of the specifics) 

And while I understand what you are saying, I also feel very strongly that there is only so much a school can do. Too often lately we are expecting our teachers to be teachers and parents, but not disciplinarians, and thats simply not sustainable. Sep in places like hempstead where the poverty rates are so high, but your politicians are looking for the schools for solutions and results, where they should be focusing on the community. As i said, my wife is an elementary teacher, but all she can do is be a role model for the few hours that the students are with her. She can't make them go home and do their homework, she can't make the parents speak only english at home, she can't watch out for them after hours when they could be out getting in trouble. Likewise, the public school does not have the liberty to pick and choose what kids will be attending or not, they have to take anyone and everyone regardless of background. 

On the flip side, I hate the way the public school curriculum is organized today. I flourished under teachers who were able to express things differently or had unique was of teaching. I didn't fit into a standard curriculum. And I'm fortunate that i'm working in the field I am (graphic design) b/c I was allowed to explore and develop my talents and interests. There is where charter schools are more beneficial. 

I use to have Success Academy (A very large NYC Charter School) as a client, and I could see 1st hand the amount of marketing and manipulation that went into their application process. And Eva Moskowitz was paid a very, very hefty salary from the state funds that would make the average Public School Superintendent look like a pauper...but yet everyone is ready to come out with pitchforks and fire when Newsday publishes their teacher salary guide. 

Again, I am not opposed to alternative forms of ed...I agree (with your additional post after this one) that education is paramount and options are not bad. But in many cases, charters don't operate under the same constraints public schools do. Also, I think most public schools need to loose their whole volunteer board setup, that is made up of general parents who are really under qualified to handle the amounts of money a typical public school requires.   

And lastly, here is my general look at the failure of what the state is imposing on teacher evaluations through the standard tests. You take a school like Hempstead and all of its socioeconomic issues. Those same students are taking the exact same test as those from say Dix Hills where the the median income is way higher and parents can afford private tutoring and other extra help. Which students do you think will score better? So by the states logic, the Hempstead teachers are substandard and will eventually be fired while the teachers in Dix Hills will have to work less hard and keep their jobs. So when a good teacher, I mean a really really good teacher is looking to start their career, where do you think they will look to apply? Hempstead, where they desperately need great teachers, but will most likely be out of work in a few years, or Dix hills where they can have a nice long career teaching kids who already have higher means and income potential. 

The whole way the state is handling things is flawed and shortsighted IMO. And I can;t help but believe that there is reason to want certain schools to fail so that their politically connected investor friends can swoop in and eat off of the state education fund in the name of 'better education'

@Koya...I appreciate our discussions today in both threads, and the looks at opposite ends of the issue....high-five man. 
:hifive:  

I'll actually give an answer tomorrow - way too brain dead now!  One piece of really good news, and part of how there is a good side to public education more as we know it - the crook "queen" of the board, who indeed engaged in rampant and sustained graft, bribery and all kinds of wallet lining finally got voted off the board during the last elections.  The wicked witch is dead. 

Such a shame, too.  As recently as the 80's it was actually a decent, even good school. She destroyed a generation of children in many ways - along with her cronies.  But, give enough jobs to your support base and they automatically come out to vote for you, and in a small disenfranchised community, it doesn't take many votes to sway a school board.

Users who are viewing this thread