What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cecil Shorts Most Undervalued Commodity in Fantasy (1 Viewer)

brnichols87

Footballguy
I find it truly perplexing that so many "fantasy experts" are missing the boat on Cecil Shorts. This guy has low end wr1 upside and needs to be acquired by all prior to the trade deadline. He is potentially the last hope at a high upside wr that could swing the fantasy championship your way.

First of all, Short’s immense upside is rooted in the Jacksonville offensive scheme (seriously!) which has adopted a pass heavy persona in the last 7 weeks since Bortels was named the starter. The truly shocking statistics show just how prevalent the pass has become; they are currently 5th in the league in pass play percentage which stands at 63%. With the league average at about 58% pass this additional 5% over the norm may not seem like much at first glance however when combined with the league average plays per game of about 64.5 and extrapolated out over a full 16 game season this 5% equates to an additional 52 pass attempts over the average NFL team in 2014. In keeping with these percentages, Bortels is atop the NFL leader board in both attempts and completions since taking over in week 4; in the past 7 game stretch he ranks 4th league wide in both categories. The number of targets are immense and show no sign of letting up as there has been little to no fluctuation in pass attempts per game and the porous Jags D almost assures that a large lead late in a game would be a miracle meaning that pass attempts will continue to dominate through the late stages of each game.

When healthy the top Jags receivers have been peppered with targets on a consistent basis each week. In fact, both Cecil Shorts and ARob ranked in the top 15 in targets among receivers over the past 5 weeks. Shorts ranked 13th with a weekly average of 9.4 while Robinson was close behind at 15th with a weekly average of 8.8 targets per game. With an offense poised to continue relying on the passing game it seems plausible to assume that Bortels will put up 35+ attempts per game for the remainder of the season. Therefore, the 8.8 targets that Robinson accounted for will now be repurposed within the offense. While everyone would agree that a portion of these targets will be given to Shorts; how many is a complete guess at this point in time. However, appropriating even the conservative estimate of 2 per game to Shorts would equate to 11.4 targets per game if these were added to his per game averages over the last five contests. This would make Shorts the NFL leader in targets per game with D Thomas’s 11.22 currently leading the league. I would argue that greater upside (ie 12-15 targets a game) is definitely feasible.

Shorts will be at the very least a low end Wr2 going forward with potential for low end wr1 value: In addition to the high volume of targets consider the following points that will allow for his fantasy stardom late in the season.

-Upcoming Schedule:

Following their week 11 bye, the Jaguars have one of the easiest remaining schedules for fantasy wrs. According to current data, weeks 12-16 see the Jags facing the 5th easiest slate for receivers, and even more intriguing is their playoff schedule during which they are projected to have the easiest schedule for fantasy receivers.

-Consistent track record of production when afforded at least 10 targets:

Over the past three seasons, on 17 separate occasions Shorts accumulated 10 or more targets in a given week and has produced solid to excellent results in nearly every single instance. His consistency is evident in his per game average for the 17 contests which stands at 10.18 (non-ppr). For comparison, this figure would make him the #20 wr this season on a per game basis. Thus, he has already performed like a consistent low end wr2 when given the targets. Arguably most compelling about this data set is the presence of a rather high floor meaning that even in his “bad” performances he will still provide owners with a decent output; to this end, Shorts failed to produce at least 7 fantasy points on just three of 14 occasions or just 17% of the time. Taking it a step further, he produced 9 or more points in 13 games or about 76% of the time. You have probably heard pundits state that fantasy success is about limiting variability and in this sense Shorts is a truly remarkable asset as a consistent wr2. Keep in mind that Shorts “only” averaged about 11 targets per game in these 17 contests; receiving over 12 only three times and thus could conceivably outplay these averages if given a steady dose of 12+ targets weekly over the remainder of the season, more opportunity = more potential for success.

-It seems inevitable that Hurns and Lee will both struggle as their snaps increase

While I would like to be optimistic about the futures of these young players they both have the potential to take a serious nosedive in the coming weeks. If this happens and both struggle as starters, it would seem logical that Bortels would rely ever more heavily on the veteran Shorts (this could become a Brady-Edelman situation with Bortels locking onto Shorts almost exclusively) this would push the weekly target total to the 15+ range.

Hurns - Following his week one outbreak Hurns has regressed mightily; dropping a significant amount of passes (has 6 second in NFL) on his to the league lead in drop percentage (targets/drops) by a landslide. In fact at his current drop rate Hurns is on pace to have the worst drop percentage in the last three seasons. To make matters worse, he has not displayed the big play ability that made him a week 1 savior. To this end, four of his six 20+ yard catches came in August while just two have come in the past 6 weeks since.

Lee – drops and injuries made him fall in the draft and have seemingly followed him to the pros and kept him tied to the bench. In addition, he has been called out by Bradley for a lack of attention to detail/work ethic which is never a good thing. It really says something when despite being a high 2nd round pick, he cannot see the field over an undrafted rookie in Hurns who is having a historically bad stretch.

All signs point to Shorts becoming a major contributor down the stretch and due to the fact that he plays for the Jags and has had some injury issues this season he could be had for next to nothing. He is a much better bench stash for the fantasy homestretch than so many middling wr3s who have limited upside at best ie Terrance Williams ect...

He's also always either injured or not training to not injure his hammies. I own him in one dynasty, but I would move him if he stays injury free and produces for three weeks in a row.

Blake Bortles is horrible. Invisible receivers get good targets in Jac too.

Jk. Well researched post OP

Last edited by a moderator:
Acrobat7 said:
He's also always either injured or not training to not injure his hammies. I own him in one dynasty, but I would move him if he stays injury free and produces for three weeks in a row.
The injury concerns are valid and provide a cause for concern, however its a risk im willing to take at current valuations from around the fantasy community. Take a look at rest of season rankings for many sites and you will see Shorts in the #40-50 wr range, fantasypros for one has him at #44. Others such as rotoworld had him as the 5th ranked wr pickup for this week behind such "studs" as Jarvis Landry and Greg Jennings. At that price you could trade malcolm floyd for him straight up. Its almost comical how undervalued he is....the only solace I can give you about the injuries is that outside of the hamstring (ie the cooncussion/sports hernia) his injuries do not appear compounding....

Shorts is a great player but he can't stay healthy. I own him in dynasty and desperately need him to perform well. If he stays healthy he'll be good.

HUGE if.

Not buying. He had a top 20 year in 2012 but other than that it's always been a tease. I do think the skills are there but after four years I'll need to see more from teh Jax offense before investing in him again. They're riding Robinson right now and with the success he's had I don't see it changing any time soon.

I think OP is only talking about Shorts opportunity this year now that Robinson is out for the year. Cecil Shorts is also a FA after this season I believe. There is little doubt that this is a huge opportunity for Shorts to make a ton of money next year. He could get 10 million a year if he shows he can be a teams WR1. He could go to a number of teams that need WR that have good QB. NE, Indy, NO, Seattle......not sure who out of those teams has the money though.

Thanks, nice write up, I just added Shorts to the end of the bench.

If the stars align and he stays healthy, Shorts could yield a nice payoff at the perfect spot in the season.

I think OP is only talking about Shorts opportunity this year now that Robinson is out for the year. Cecil Shorts is also a FA after this season I believe. There is little doubt that this is a huge opportunity for Shorts to make a ton of money next year. He could get 10 million a year if he shows he can be a teams WR1. He could go to a number of teams that need WR that have good QB. NE, Indy, NO, Seattle......not sure who out of those teams has the money though.
My bad--I was looking at RB Denard Robinson not WR Allen! I'm really out of fantasy sinc this year--sorry about that!

I had Shorts rostered twice this season, basically for the reasons outlined. And for some of the same reasons others outlined, I dropped him (with the second time being after week 7 and his 3 for 12). He's currently on another team. Yes he performs well at times, but inconsistency + injuries = the guy you wish you didn't have to drop, but you actually do need to, when byes and injuries are playing a part. Having a week 11 bye doesn't help much there either.

Excellent write-up and some valid points. However, I think the one thing your analysis misses is the fact that because they are always trailing in games, they throw the ball a disproportionate amount of times.I would guess their averages-to-date are skewed by the liklihood that, in the 2nd halves of most games, they are likely throwing the ball 70-80%.

As you noted, with their upcoming schedule quite a bit easier, one could readily assume they will stay in games quite a bit longer. They may even win one. And if they do, it will also mean that they will be able to stick to their desired run/pass mix a lot longer than usual, which means less passes thrown in 2nd halves, less skewing of the stats, resulting in less targets.

Just a hunch, but I would guess that, unless they continue to lose and lose big, their passing numbers will revert to more of the league norm the more competitive their games are.

I think Shorts is as good an add as anyone else on the wire. WR3 with low high end WR2 potential. Reports are that he did not sustain a concussion v. Dallas so he should be good to go next week.

I added him, and hope he contributes down the stretch, but I'm sitting him this week. I had a suspicion that Vontae Davis had been pretty lights out this year, so I fired up The Google and found this:

Ten weeks into the 2014 season, Davis has not surrendered a single touchdown, and his +10.9 coverage grade and 15.8 Cover Snaps per Reception rating both rank third among starting corners. Passers have an average QB rating of 41.1 when throwing into his coverage.

I wish I never saw this thread. Never want to see it again.
This thread and some other fantasy experts screwed me. I dropped Crowell for Shorts, this was when the backfield looked like a mess and Crow was potentially on the outs due to fumbles. Then, I started him this week over Tate because of the Revis on Tate talk and the garbage time stats Indy had been giving up to WRs. This really screwed me.

I'm not sure who is worse. Shorts or K. Wright. I should know better than insert either in my lineup. When I do they #### the bed.

screwed me too, but bad teams are just bad teams and should never be relied on --I had DRob and Shorts in today - playoffs hopes dimmer

Happily traded him away last week for James Jones, Kenny Britt, and Philly Brown in dynasty league. I've owned him for 3 years in dynasty and been begging for the chance to ditch this injury plagued wr. I think the rookies grab a bigger piece of the pie going forward.

Users who are viewing this thread