What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Car hitch and bike rack (1 Viewer)

Polish Hammer

made of glass
For Mother's Day I got my wife a bike so she and the kids can go ride them together during the summer.  Of course I didn't factor in how she would get three bikes and two kids to/from said biking location.  What do I need to know/buy/do to get a proper hitch and bike rack installed on her 2005 Honda Pilot in a way that is frugal?  I want the best value for my money, but that also means it doesn't have to be the cheapest. At most we would need to carry 4 bikes, most often just 3.  We do NOT want the rack to have to be on the vehicle at all times.  

Also, I've heard that installation of the hitch can be done well/cheap at a UHaul/PepBoys type place, but am not sure about the veracity of both parts of that assertion (well AND cheap).  Please discuss.  

Installing a hitch is easy.   Just need to screw in a few bolts.   Just get the right one for your make and model.  Amazon has a 4 bike allen hitch rack for a hundred. 

Installing a hitch is easy.   Just need to screw in a few bolts.   Just get the right one for your make and model.  Amazon has a 4 bike allen hitch rack for a hundred. 
Do I need any particular tools that an average white suburbanite slob wouldn't normally have?

Do you have any complaints about it or are there any features it didn't have you would have preferred?  I noticed some newer models have a fold-down capability to make it easier to get into your back gate of the car when the bikes are off.  Anything like that?  

Do I need any particular tools that an average white suburbanite slob wouldn't normally have?

Do you have any complaints about it or are there any features it didn't have you would have preferred?  I noticed some newer models have a fold-down capability to make it easier to get into your back gate of the car when the bikes are off.  Anything like that?  
No complaints with it.  The premier version adds the quick tilt release and rubber straps but not worth ~$100 more IMO.  I suppose if you are going to use it a lot it could be worth it though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went through the same thing and bought this.

Our Suburban didn't have a hitch so I priced buying an new OEM one. Way too expensive, as were other new aftermarket options. Instead I checked Craigslist and found a guy selling an OEM hitch for $40 including the mounting bolts. If I had struck out there junkyards would have been my next stop.

Installation of the hitch took about 8 minutes. Suburbans all leave the factory with the wiring harness already installed, if it doesn't have an OEM hitch they simply stuff the harness into the frame. I pulled the harness out, bolted on the hitch, and snapped the harness in.

As for the bike rack it's heavy duty and I have no complaints with it. We have put hundreds of miles on it with no issues. I can load 2 adult bikes and 2 kid's bikes without a problem and no bikes rubbing each other. I would imagine 4 adult bikes would be harder to do without them rubbing. If I had a lower sitting vehicle I would be concerned about it bottoming out when going up a ramp/incline but the Suburban sits up high enough it's never hit. I would highly suggest the 2" hitch versus the smaller ones if possible. Also I bought simple bungee cords to secure the front wheels so the handlebars don't flop back and forth while driving.

Here's the newer version of that rack that has the tilt feature. And it's cheaper...

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Sports-3-Bike-2-Inch-Receiver/dp/B00TRTSRVE/ref=dp_ob_title_auto

And here is the 4 bike version...

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Sports-Deluxe-4-Bike-Receiver/dp/B00TRTSW46?ie=UTF8&keywords=allen 4 bike hitch rack&qid=1465483822&ref_=sr_1_2&s=automotive&sr=1-2

Doing this with my Toyota now.  Hitch install took 10 minutes, literally.  Just a wrench (if you have a torque wrench, even better, otherwise just get it on damn tight by hand). 

For the rack itself, there is a huge range.  The rack listed above is fine if you don't mind it possible scaring/scratching the frame of the bike a bit.  Also, if the kid's bikes are small, it may be difficult if not impossible to get those on that rack.  Getting 3 bikes up there is also difficult as the handlebars of the first bike can interfere with the bars of the third bike.  Also be sure to secure the front tires of the bikes, as they can still swing side to side while your driving - and the tire can rub up against your bumper, stuffing it (I know from experience on that one) - so tie the back of the front tire to the bike frame tightly to keep it from swinging. 

Users who are viewing this thread