What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you negotiate with DirecTV? (1 Viewer)

Almost that yearly time. I think I’m sometime mid August. Anyone in July?
Did my yearly chat to gather info. My statements run 15th to the 15th.  My credits were applied last August 2nd. 

I was told by Loyalty to call back on 8/3-8/4 and they might have ST max and heavy discounts.  He did say they are starting to get those credits to apply. 

if they don’t then you’d go to disconnect route and try and get to the Winback department.  

Got a few weeks before I start playing the monthly game. 

Did my yearly chat to gather info. My statements run 15th to the 15th.  My credits were applied last August 2nd. 

I was told by Loyalty to call back on 8/3-8/4 and they might have ST max and heavy discounts.  He did say they are starting to get those credits to apply. 

if they don’t then you’d go to disconnect route and try and get to the Winback department.  

Got a few weeks before I start playing the monthly game. 
The last of my discounts hit this statement.  I'm in the same boat as you and looking to call around the first of the month.  Good luck and post back if anything good comes of the initial call!

I re-upped for another year after going through the cancellation process.  They gave me HBO Max for a year, ST Max, all the movie channels for 3 months, $60/month off my bill for a year, and $100 gift card.  I grudgingly accepted but this is probably my last year. 

So happy I am no longer doing the dance. Used them since about 95/96.  Had to fight the HOA at the time to install the dish.  Precedence was still embryonic back then.

I re-upped for another year after going through the cancellation process.  They gave me HBO Max for a year, ST Max, all the movie channels for 3 months, $60/month off my bill for a year, and $100 gift card.  I grudgingly accepted but this is probably my last year. 
Did your account actually go to full cancellation before you re-upped?

Last edited by a moderator:
I called and put my cancellation in. Was offered $40 off for the year. No thanks. I also found out that I somehow got a 2-year contract added to my account. I believe this might have happened when they accidently tried to charge me for a new receiver a month after the last deal started. Ugh. 

I called today and they told me that I was pre-emptively given Sunday Ticket Max for free in 2021 as a loyalty award.  I'm not sure I believe it yet, but she said it was for 2021. :shrug:

Contract (and discount) expire 7/31.  Made the initial call to Loyalty Dept. today. The only offer available was to continue my current $40/mo. off (Last year was $80/mo. off for 6 months, then $40 for the remaining 6 mos., plus free premiums for 3 months and free ST).  I'm seeing the current offer as my baseline for when I call next week to do the cancellation. 

I have had Directv since 1998.   I think this will be the last year since my twins will be going off to college and the wife and I will not be watching a lot of tv.    I wish I could say it has been a fun ride calling in and "cancelling" to get a better deal every year.   God how long have I been on this board?

So I had posted several months ago I called and DT had promised me a good deal...I stay very busy and rarely look at my bills/statements and just happened to look and I was paying MORE than what I paid before I called and actually cancelled my service. Lady knew I was done and I said if they don't give me what they promised I was gone forever, and without another word, she gave me all kinds of money back, an immediate credit and then moving forward $50 credit off my bill for the next year, along with free HBO and Sunday Ticket Max. I hate this company so much...you have to watch your bill...I just never do. 

In case anyone wants/needs some ammunition, I got a mailer from DISH the other day.  Here's what they're offering for new customers.  The offers are good through 9/30/2021.

190 Channels - $64.99
190+ Channels - $79.99
240+ Channels - $89.99
290+ Channels - $99.99

All above includes "Multi-Sport Pack" (includes NFL Network and NFL Network RedZone Channel)

All carry a 2-year TV Price Guarantee, local channels, ESPN, Free HD for Life, Free installation, Free premium channels for 3 months.

$300 gift card and a Hopper Duo Smart HD DVR.

Titans_fan said:
In case anyone wants/needs some ammunition, I got a mailer from DISH the other day.  Here's what they're offering for new customers.  The offers are good through 9/30/2021.

190 Channels - $64.99
190+ Channels - $79.99
240+ Channels - $89.99
290+ Channels - $99.99

All above includes "Multi-Sport Pack" (includes NFL Network and NFL Network RedZone Channel)

All carry a 2-year TV Price Guarantee, local channels, ESPN, Free HD for Life, Free installation, Free premium channels for 3 months.

$300 gift card and a Hopper Duo Smart HD DVR.
do they have some kind of integrated offer for internet as well?

Called and set up cancellation for July 31 (end of my current contract). Voice on the other end of the call claimed to be a "Senior Supervisor" in the Loyalty Dept. but couldn't offer any more than the $40/mo. off previously offered. Her alternative was to drop from "Choice" to the "Entertainment" package and add the Sports package (so I could continue to get the ACC Network), which would be $8/mo. cheaper.  I told her to go ahead and schedule the cancellation. A little later, I received an email confirming it, and saying I would owe a $20 early termination fee. Now I need to call back and ask how terminating at the end of my contract is an early termination.

The "Senior Supervisor" did read a "disclosure" which included language to the effect that "Directv will always be happy to welcome you back with a generous re-connect offer", so I'll call back after the disconnect to see what they offer.  Otherwise, I have the fallback described by @Titans_fan above (except mine includes a $400 prepaid card).

do they have some kind of integrated offer for internet as well?
I've gotten fliers (the type that are sent to every mailbox in town) that offer internet with the Dish subscription, but they aren't great: same price for the TV, no mention of the cost of the internet and it was "$100 prepaid card if you get TV only and $200 if you get both TV and internet". Meanwhile, they also sent out the targeted offer with a $400 card for TV alone.

just checked ...Aug. 11th is the last day of my big discount from last year 

reaction.

btw:  going to drop them ...wait a couple of days, then do the new customer sign up, they just won't deal with existing customers with anything comparable.  

Update: When I called to question the early termination fee, I got transferred to Win-back. She bumped the previous offer of$40/mo. by $50/mo. for the entire year and threw in a $100 gift card. That puts me at $56/mo. plus tax for Choice All Included with 4 tvs plus the card. Didn't bother negotiating for any more extras. Price is good for a year, but no contract,

Update: When I called to question the early termination fee, I got transferred to Win-back. She bumped the previous offer of$40/mo. by $50/mo. for the entire year and threw in a $100 gift card. That puts me at $56/mo. plus tax for Choice All Included with 4 tvs plus the card. Didn't bother negotiating for any more extras. Price is good for a year, but no contract,
What ****show Directv is.  When I got the email confirmation of the above, it indicated that the $40 was a one-time deduction, not monthly. It also indicated a one-yr. agreement. Called back and spent half an hour explaining that the terms were not what I agreed to. That agent says "Your information indicates that the $40 is only for one month. The good news is that the $50 off will continue monthly and your price will not increase during the year." I replied, "No, the good news is that you're going to extend the $40 off for the entire year, because if you don't, we don't have a contract and I do not want to continue with Directv." She then passes me off to a supervisor in Loyalty. I spend 10 minutes answering their security questions and explaining the situation, only to have her say, "I'll need to transfer you to Winback to handle that." Repeat the security process with a Winback agent who is barely understandable (I have to have repeat nearly everything he says).

He tells me "there is no new contract. You are still under the contract that expires in 2 days."

Me: "That's the contract I cancelled yesterday. I think I need to talk to your supervisor."

Him: "That was never completed." 

Me: "What do you mean it wasn't completed?"

Him: "It was scheduled to cancel today rather than 2 days from now, which is why you were charged an early termination fee, but it was stopped."

Me: "Of course it was stopped. What kind of idiot would call and say cancel it 2 days before the end of my paid for contract so I can pay you another $20? What about the email I'm looking at that says I now have a contract through July 31, 2022? I think I need to talk to your supervisor."

Him: "That's not on the system. Your contract ends in two days."

Me: "But it isn't scheduled for cancellation?"

Him: "No."

Me: "Well then schedule it."

Him: "OK, give me a minute."  Three minutes later: "I'm sorry, sir, the system won't let me enter the cancellation.  You'll need to..."

Me (cutting him off): "What I need to do is have you escalate this to your supervisor, as I've already asked several times.

Him: "OK, I will do that. Please hold."

(5 minutes later) Him: "Sir, my supervisor is doing something else and can't speak to you right now, but he has cancelled the contract as of the end of your contract and you will not owe the early termination fee."

Me: "Do I get a confirmation?"

Him: "Yes, the number is (recites the same confirmation number that I had gotten this morning when the agent gave me the above deal).

Me: "How can it be the same confirmation number as I got this morning?

Him: "That's the number the system gave me."

Me: "Will I get an email confirmation?"

Him: "yes"

Hang up, total time elapsed 1:05.

I can't wait to see what happens next.

Me: "That's the contract I cancelled yesterday. I think I need to talk to your supervisor."

Him: "That was never completed." 

Me: "What do you mean it wasn't completed?"

Him: "It was scheduled to cancel today rather than 2 days from now, which is why you were charged an early termination fee, but it was stopped."

Me: "Of course it was stopped. What kind of idiot would call and say cancel it 2 days before the end of my paid for contract so I can pay you another $20? What about the email I'm looking at that says I now have a contract through July 31, 2022? I think I need to talk to your supervisor."

Him: "That's not on the system. Your contract ends in two days."

Me: "But it isn't scheduled for cancellation?"

Him: "No."

looks like AT&T has a new gimp ...I have been waiting on a replacement for the last 10 years.  

My credits wear off 8/2 at 11:59pm

I’m paying $105 now.  Last year I paid $54 for 6 months then $105 for the last 6 months. So about $80 a month. 

I was just offered $45.00 off. They couldn’t even add a credit of auto pay to put back on so my bill would be $111.00 with nothing else. 

I said I’ll try back in a few days otherwise I’ll cancel and go disconnect route.  

she said my statement drops 8/17 for the next month but I don’t want to wait a second statement.

Those who have gone the disconnect route  how soon after your credits did you disconnect and then what did you do  

Sent you a PM. 

Called back. Set up cancelation for 8/4. Lady was rude, said she’s notating my account that I think I’ll get more going the Winback route which I was told by a previous rep to try.  

said she offered me $45.00 off a month and I won’t accept because it’s $6.00 more a month (no auto debit) I explained last year I got $50 off 6 months for COVID and $46 off 12.  She said they won’t have anything better for me going this route.  

my agreement was accepted 8/2/2020 so they fall off today. My cycle runs to 8/17. 

I hope I hear from Winback with some options because they called my bluff.  

what’s the Winback number you called or they called you?

Haven't tried it yet this year, but last year it was 888-333-0804
Right there with you with misery.  Called the Winback number you provided. They said since I was in pending disconnect they had some offers.  

she said the lady earlier put a $45 credit on my account that I accepted. (I never did). I said why would I accept a credit if I was canceling on 8/4 disconnect. She said good point but her hands were tied because an accepted offer was placed.  I said no. Cancel me tonight and call me tomorrow. She also stated my disconnect was 8/6 so they didn’t even put in the correct date. 

she repeated herself many times telling me not to call back. Let her call back tomorrow and wait for her.  Assuming she gets credit but she said it’s because she doesn’t want me to explain myself.  

What she was able to offer was keeping that $45 credit on there and offering $100 gift card, her manager paying my first months bill, movie channels but no Sunday ticket max and she’d have to try and get approval for it.  So I would have been $107 a month essentially what I’ve been paying last 6 months  (extra package, 3 TVs, Whole home DVR) 

I kept trying to hint at if disconnect get better offers than pending disconnect but she was by the book. 

until tomorrow.  I’m awaiting the email tonight saying I canceled. They can’t even do that right.  

I might not wait for her to call at 12:30. Just want this crap done.  

That's the one I am planning to use once my account is actually disconnected. Was told it would disconnect today, but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe it doesn't occur in the morning anymore? 
Might be 11:59pm if you didn’t set a time.  I did mine for midnight tonight so we’ll see. I’m assuming their incompetence won’t get this right. 

footballallday said:
That's the one I am planning to use once my account is actually disconnected. Was told it would disconnect today, but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe it doesn't occur in the morning anymore? 
I was told a number of times that my contract expired on July 30, and my disconnect would be July 31 (in fact, one agent on Friday tried to explain that the reason they wanted to charge me an early termination fee was that I was scheduled for cancellation "tomorrow" and my contract didn't expire until July 30.  I literally had to ask her what Friday's date was, to which she responded, "it's...oh, I see why you're upset"), but I had service all day on August 1.  When I called to confirm that my service was, in fact, being cancelled, they said "today's your last day--it will be cancelled by midnight." I still had service when I went to bed about 11:30, but it was off by Monday morning. 

After 20 minutes on hold while the agent checked on available discounts, Winback's best offer was to continue the $40/mo. off I was previously getting (even though they had offered $50/mo. off last week) and free ST.  Not even close to what I'd need to stay.  Interestingly, he suggested that "in October we'll probably going to have some substantial discounts available". I seem to recall that AT&T is cutting DTV loose about that time, so maybe that will create opportunities for those going through this down the road.  I told him I'm not waiting until October--on to Dish. 

Deal is done. Well, let's hope so at least. Here's my notes:

-Directv deal to split off from ATT has happened. Some changes are afoot.

-Set up cancellation in mid July to cancel on the 2nd of August. Was told I had a 24 month agreement, not 12. Was able to prove this was a mistake by showing that a receiver charge was added when I reactivated last year and then credited back. I was then credited $250 on my account to cover the early termination fee. This already paid for my last month of service. 

-Service didn't cancel until sometime during the night of the 2nd. This was different from before. Mine always shut off in the morning. 

-Called the winback number at 888-333-0804 this morning. They seem a little less eager to start the deal process than before. You literally need to ask that you are looking for a winback offer before returning equipment. Credit check required at beginning of conversation. This might be required every two years. I didn't have one last year but did the year before. I was on the Xtra package before, but that package no longer exists. They are still able to offer those grandfathered ones for now if you push for it. 

-Was offered the same deal/price as last year. Xtra 1 TV for 83/mo (includes fees) with ST Max, HBO for 12 mo, other movie channels for 3 mo, $100 gift card. This was all pretty automatic, but I tried pushing for more; there didn't seem to be much wiggle room since this is what I had last year along with the exception being made to keep Xtra. Also, I am hoping that I might get to keep that $250 on my account, which would make this a very good deal overall. 

-Upon re-activation, I was told my current equipment is too old now even though it was working fine yesterday. Apparently, policies have quickly changed with the re-organization of the company. They are going to provide the latest Genie equipment for free without a contract extension. WHAT?!?!?! I still don't believe this, but given the change over, it seems plausible . . . . Install happens tomorrow.   

After 20 minutes on hold while the agent checked on available discounts, Winback's best offer was to continue the $40/mo. off I was previously getting (even though they had offered $50/mo. off last week) and free ST.  Not even close to what I'd need to stay.  Interestingly, he suggested that "in October we'll probably going to have some substantial discounts available". I seem to recall that AT&T is cutting DTV loose about that time, so maybe that will create opportunities for those going through this down the road.  I told him I'm not waiting until October--on to Dish. 
This sounds like a disaster. Those offers were added during pending disconnection, correct? I wonder if that kicked you off the winback eligibility. In the past, there were times when having existing offers was a problem, but I don't recall that being an issue recently. However, the company has been reorganized, so changes are happening. 

I'm not sure if you want to mess with it, but I would call back and explain that your account got messed up when ATT was in control of DTV and you are hoping that the new company can make things right. Might be able to get some traction on that. 

I’m locked in. I’m not confident that this was done properly as I already had to call back to confirm something and other parts were messed up. 

Extra package

$54.01 off 12 months 

$5.00 Auto Pay off 12 months  

$50 one time credit.  (Got her up from $30 by having her check with supervisor via instant message twice, would only go up $10 each time, likely could get more)

Sunday Ticket Max 

$100 Visa Gift Card. 

Puts me at $105 which was what I was paying the last 6 months last year (had a COVID additional credit the first half of last year) 

I removed one office tv  $7/month box to get me down to $97.78  I was told you can download the app and watch on a smart TV.  That was a lie.  It’s whatever. I’ll just use ESPN plus or Peacock if I need to watch anything on it.  

Told me to redeem the giftcard in a week on DirectTV.com/redeem 

I’m not confident that anything I agreed to will be accurate.  They did flat out tell me to just disconnect and get to winback. The loyalty department isn’t great.  I received emails about disconnecting on 8/6 after I agreed to this. The yearly mess that takes up 3-5 hours.  

So I had posted several months ago I called and DT had promised me a good deal...I stay very busy and rarely look at my bills/statements and just happened to look and I was paying MORE than what I paid before I called and actually cancelled my service. Lady knew I was done and I said if they don't give me what they promised I was gone forever, and without another word, she gave me all kinds of money back, an immediate credit and then moving forward $50 credit off my bill for the next year, along with free HBO and Sunday Ticket Max. I hate this company so much...you have to watch your bill...I just never do. 
There are so many of us.  I guess it makes me feel like slightly less of a loser having paid them so much for so little for only 5 years.  

It is SO much better on the other side.  You are going to love the goodbye.

I haven’t found an alternative.  Too many people watch too many different things in our house. 

The yearly 4-6 hour struggle with them sucks though I agree.  it’s very painful.  Luckily I do it on my lunch hour. 

I’ve done this runaround every year for the last few years. Last year’s deal ended up being not nearly as good as previously or what I saw some others getting in this thread. 

I’m on just the regular choice package, and I just have one TV hooked up to DirecTV. I honestly think this hurts me when I see what guys with 4 or 5 receivers get. 

Last August I got $40 off per month, price guarantee for a year, free ST Max, free movie channels for 3 months, free HBO Max for a year, and I think I got a gift card though I can’t recall if it was $100 or $200. My bill has consistently been right around $90/month. I managed to get another $5 credit applied in December when I combined my wireless bill with DirecTV bill, meaning the past 7 months or so have been $85/mo. 

I’m nearly positive they paid me to watch TV in 2019 after a series of calls and credits. I’m also nearly positive that the bill used to be around $60/mo given my setup and is now pushing $90. 

The rub is that I switched to Verizon and now get Hulu, Disney+, and ESPN+ via the Verizon deal. We previously had Disney+ but not the other two. I have found we are almost always watching Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Apple TV+, or whatever other streaming service. I also have MLB.tv, and I’m looking at DirecTV and wondering why I don’t just VPN and get Gamepass for NFL and stream everything? My wife seems a bit hesitant given the convenience of the DVR with DirecTV, but it’s not worth $90 a month anymore. 

My credits run out 8/24 but I don’t have any contract and I’m going to be billed with a partial month higher rate on Saturday. We’re also out of town next week, so I’m thinking I’ll just pull the plug right now. 

I’m curious what others get, but I’m also probably closer than ever to just ending the whole thing and walking away. 

Just got the "NFL Sunday Ticket Max is free this year for our loyal fans" email again this year, just like last year. No muss, no fuss.  

Notnsure if it's going out to everyone, people who have subscribed X number of years, or what. Won't argue with it though!

Just got the "NFL Sunday Ticket Max is free this year for our loyal fans" email again this year, just like last year. No muss, no fuss.  

Notnsure if it's going out to everyone, people who have subscribed X number of years, or what. Won't argue with it though!
Same here.

My credits wear off 8/2 at 11:59pm

I’m paying $105 now.  Last year I paid $54 for 6 months then $105 for the last 6 months. So about $80 a month. 

I was just offered $45.00 off. They couldn’t even add a credit of auto pay to put back on so my bill would be $111.00 with nothing else. 

I said I’ll try back in a few days otherwise I’ll cancel and go disconnect route.  

she said my statement drops 8/17 for the next month but I don’t want to wait a second statement.

Those who have gone the disconnect route  how soon after your credits did you disconnect and then what did you do  
i just disconnected with them about a month ago.   took about 3 weeks to get the credits back.   Was really easy, just took the directv consoles back to Fed Ex office, and they send them back to directv for you, no cost.   Just make sure you get a receipt.

I ended up getting YouTube TV and a ROKU.   love it.   Signed up for HBO max as well.   I already had Disney, Discovery, netflix and amazon.  My total bill went from 190/month with direct TV, to $65/mo Youtube +15/mo HBO.   With Roku you get a lot of free content on Peacock, Pluto TV, ROKU itself and a bunch of other apps you can sign up for free.  

For reference, I got the email for free Sunday Ticket last year as well.  Still called to get credits and got $50 each month for a year.  Keeps my bill low enough to stay with them.  Will do the same probably this weekend. 

ETA: Did get free ST Max email as well.

Users who are viewing this thread